PDA

View Full Version : Putting Thommo v Long driving Blakey - bring it on?

markTHEblake
8th April 2008, 06:53 PM
Thommo's trying hard to think of some excuses. Don't beleive it. He told the missus he was playing golf and she smacked him in the nose, the broken rib came when he slipped in the dunny while putting his shirt back on.

Options? wanna nominate a proxy? :)

I dont mind who you pick, but probably should narrow the choice a bit to be fair, how about he should be a first round loser starting with a J?

Result: marktheblake d. Moe Norman 6/5

damoocow
8th April 2008, 06:57 PM
Blakey - I know he is injured but is Moe out ? - how long before Rd 1 has to be done?

goughy
8th April 2008, 07:01 PM
Techinically, the end of this month. But Rd 2 has to the end of June. It's probably more so up to you damo because the extra time they take to play means less time you have to play your 2nd round.

markTHEblake
8th April 2008, 07:03 PM
Moe is a Collingwood man, he'll play.

damoocow
8th April 2008, 07:08 PM
Techinically, the end of this month. But Rd 2 has to the end of June. It's probably more so up to you damo because the extra time they take to play means less time you have to play your 2nd round.

Don't know all the 'rules' but wouldn't have thought it had anything to do with me...isn't it up to them to sort it out??...........June is a long way away anyway..

goughy
8th April 2008, 07:32 PM
Yes. You're kind of right Damo. But the longer they take the less time you have to line up a match with the winner. So it does affect you. How much it affects you is up to you.

Moe Norman
8th April 2008, 07:38 PM
I'll be ready to play the weekend of April 19.

Name your location, I can host you for a home game, you can host me for a home game or we can meet somewhere in the middle?

I'd be happy for a hit somewhere on the coast if I have time and permission to get away for a whole day.

markTHEblake
8th April 2008, 07:43 PM
I dont have a home, technically i am a now vagrant (got 30 days to pay)

I can play Saturdays, or sunday afternoon, and i am a tightarse.

Ashgrove cup 19th. dunno any details though.
Also Windaroo is a good spot, neutral, only $30 and can get on easily saturdays.
and i am 3 from 3 there :-)

Moe Norman
8th April 2008, 08:19 PM
how about redland bay on a sunday?

$10 and its pretty neutral.

I am happy to host at BGC on a Sunday, its $50 odd and we can watch the pies in the bar afterwards :)

perci
8th April 2008, 08:36 PM
I'd love to see that!

markTHEblake
8th April 2008, 09:02 PM
Redland by sounds good to me, except it takes an hour to get there.

but From our Open day thread.

Redland Bay - $10 + green fee
the website says green fee is $35 so thats $45.... is that right?

Webster
8th April 2008, 09:06 PM
This could be painful to watch - both golflinks reveal drifting handicaps at an alarming rate!

markTHEblake
8th April 2008, 09:16 PM
Tactics.

Moe Norman
8th April 2008, 09:53 PM
You might be right Blakey, perhaps PeteyD can shed some light.

How about somewhere like Robina Woods?

Jack,

Mine is tricky, my last golf link entry is a mistake - they gave me 28 over when I had 78 in a stroke round and the CCR was 70.

But have generally been average for 6 months. Good thing for me is that I have been playing ok and throwing in an quad or more each round. That won't hurt in matchplay :)

markTHEblake
8th April 2008, 10:31 PM
Oh - and lets play the rule that all 2nd putts are gimmes?

and i dont like paying at Robina Woods, i play often enough for nuthin. You dont like Windaroo?
or how about Jimboomba, i wouldnt mind another crack there.

Moe Norman
9th April 2008, 06:24 AM
i fookin hate Windaroo.

will try to think of something else southside

Iain
9th April 2008, 07:42 AM
Logan City!!!

PeteyD
9th April 2008, 08:50 AM
Reddy Bay would be about $25 to play in the open comp. Sunday the 20th is the Jack Porter Memorial Stab. Medley Stab. I think it might be a full field though.

You could play Gainsborough Greens? Mt Warren RSL course? Carbrook?

Moe Norman
9th April 2008, 06:30 PM
Carbrook interests me

jaybam
9th April 2008, 06:43 PM
let me know if you go to carbrook. We have open comps on sundays after 11 am i think it is.

markTHEblake
9th April 2008, 07:16 PM
Ok, carbrook sounds interesting, i havent been there before, so thats always an advantage.

Moe Norman
9th April 2008, 08:00 PM
either have I

markTHEblake
25th April 2008, 06:32 PM
Next Saddie - or Monday.?

Moe Norman
25th April 2008, 08:46 PM
next weekend suits me.

I've played twice in the last few days and the ribs were fine.

They'd want to be given I played footy today too!

markTHEblake
25th April 2008, 09:25 PM
ok, so who is that Carbrook member again?

AndyP
25th April 2008, 09:35 PM
senecio, billybaub, jaybam and phoeno off the top of my head.

markTHEblake
25th April 2008, 10:46 PM
Oop, dont think Saddie is open comp, So sunday or monday is ok with me.

jaybam
26th April 2008, 05:17 PM
Guys will be looking into booking a couple of groups in a couple of sundays time to have a oz golf day i just have to ring and make sure i can make multiple bookings for groups. Will find out more and get back to you in a couple of days :)

rocket
26th April 2008, 05:29 PM
I will be keen for this, on another note Jaybam how are those new irons?

jaybam
26th April 2008, 05:58 PM
Yeah good rocket. Takind a bit of getting used to after the chunky forgiving callaways but when i hit them well they feel great. Scores arent reflecting this though :(

Eag's
26th April 2008, 08:42 PM
I will try and get along to this as well roster permiting.

markTHEblake
27th April 2008, 02:25 PM
18th at Carbrook, see seperate thread?
I am a bit nervous about waiting so long to play, cos i might lose the shot that I have worked so hard to get for this match.

I dont mind heading there earlier even though there are 4B's on, we might combine for a good score :-)

jaybam
27th April 2008, 02:31 PM
Blake Sunday the 4th is a fourball stableford muliplier. Sunday the 11th is a fourball ambrose (yuk). And Sunday the 18th is the Single stroke which i started in the 1st tee thread. Just in case you wanted to know what was on.

markTHEblake
27th April 2008, 02:58 PM
Blake Sunday the 4th is a fourball stableford muliplier.

now there is an incentive for us both to fire up.

Moe Norman
27th April 2008, 06:32 PM
can we do this next weekend?

I'm in Melbourne the following weekend of the 10th and at Barnbougle the weekend of the 17th

Iain
27th April 2008, 06:42 PM
Just play it as your matchplay and hand in no card??

I'm keen if it's an early game?

markTHEblake
27th April 2008, 06:59 PM
Yes, i dont mind playing next sunday at Carbrook. can only play after 12, later the better.

Does Kpac and DC wanna join us?

jaybam
27th April 2008, 07:06 PM
just checked the booking sheet for you and is heaps of spots still availabe to you after 12 but would ring them tomorrow to make sure mate :)

kpac
27th April 2008, 07:16 PM
Yes, i dont mind playing next sunday at Carbrook. can only play after 12, later the better.

Does Kpac and DC wanna join us?

i can't do this sunday unfortunately :(

Moe Norman
27th April 2008, 07:24 PM
i actually need to play early...

markTHEblake
27th April 2008, 07:25 PM
how about Monday?

damoocow
27th April 2008, 07:36 PM
When was this game supposed to be finished ? - Like a never ending soapie....

Moe Norman
27th April 2008, 08:44 PM
I work on mondays.

goughy
27th April 2008, 08:53 PM
Does blakey mean the public holiday monday week??

damoocow
27th April 2008, 09:02 PM
Like sand through the hourglass....

markTHEblake
27th April 2008, 09:18 PM
yes, next monday is a public holiday

Moe Norman
30th April 2008, 07:03 AM
Blakey,

Lets do Monday - does that suit you?

e-mail me at work today andrew.thomson@devine.com.au to sort out some details.

Jarro
30th April 2008, 07:21 AM
can i email you as well ?

I have some stuff that you might like to watch ;)

markTHEblake
30th April 2008, 05:38 PM
monday anytime is good, i'll do some ring arounds, and let you know tomorrow

Not many open days on Mondays, all we have is Burleigh, Murwillumbah or Keperra, and the monday trainee pro-am is a junior event

Moe Norman
30th April 2008, 05:59 PM
I'm happy to do Keperra!

Doesn't have to be in a comp does it?

I can also host you at BGC and go you halves in the green fees if you like?

The mrs is preggers, so getting out of the house for golf + travel is frowned upon, especially with Barny trip approaching

damoocow
30th April 2008, 06:53 PM
Moe and Blakey,
Monday comp at Keperra is a single stb medley - and am pretty sure visitors rates are $34 at the moment.........just checked online and they still have these tee times available:
11:14 / 11:21 / 11:56 / 12:10 / 12:17.......................
alternatively I am pretty sure I can get out for a hit anytime on Monday and if so can get you guys on at guest rate which is $25 non comp - have no idea what tee times are available at present for social golf..............let me know and I can make some calls tomorrow if you are interested although it may be cheaper for Blakey to drive to Brisbane GC and split the fees rather than go all the way to Keperra ?

Eag's
1st May 2008, 06:54 AM
Moe if you guys end up playing Keperra I can drop your Travel Bag off to you?
Keperra is only around the corner from my joint.

Moe Norman
1st May 2008, 06:58 AM
i'll wait to see MTB's response, he's being a bit slow!

BrisVegas
1st May 2008, 07:51 AM
Moe - congratulations on the missus' pregnancy! All the best.

markTHEblake
1st May 2008, 08:36 AM
Can get on Carbrook at a few times between 10 and 12 on monday for a group of 4.
$19 including comp.

Booked 9.54 Monday May 5th.

I'll be wearing my collingwood hat for good luck.

markTHEblake
4th May 2008, 04:38 PM
Oh oh. I totally overlooked the most important thing while organising this match.

Thommo: your mama wears army boots and your footy team stinks.

Grunt
5th May 2008, 03:15 PM
Any word on a result from this match yet?

markTHEblake
5th May 2008, 04:27 PM
Thommo went home to practice his putting, not sure why, he did a lot more putting then any of us today.

I won 6/5 - ultimately the difference was the short game, Thommos putting was his worst for a long time, where mine was my best for a long time. Only one three putt from me and made three 20 footers and probably a handful of 4 footers.

After a couple of halved holes to start with in which Thommo had me worried as he made two very good long 2-putts.

I hit into the crap, then missed a short putt and made double to lose the 3rd, but i think thats where Thommo ran out of puff, as I shot 2 under the next 4 holes to win all of those.

On the par 5, 8th where Thommo gets his shot, I hit into the hazard and lost my ball, followed by a recovery shot and then a 9 iron onto the green, and thommo takes 4 strokes from 40m and I make my par putt to get the half. I think that winded him, cos i am sure he thought he had me :-)

On the 9th, he gifted me with another 3 putt, and i just missed my short birdie to turn 4 up and was even Par. [bloody hell, how scary is that left pin position on 9?]

The 10th was another close hole, we both shaved the holes for birdies.

But after that we both played absolute crap, and the end of the match ended pitifully as we both 3 putted that green from not so far away.

Thanks for the game, you should have taken me up on the no three putt rule I proposed earlier. :lol:

jaybam
5th May 2008, 04:32 PM
Congrats mate and dont worry moe i four putted the ninth today :) :) :) that will teach me for trying to play smart safe golf lol

Moe Norman
5th May 2008, 08:34 PM
I'll give a more detailed breakdown. I certainly had my chances to stay in the match for alot longer, but the putting was woeful. I'm not sure why as I have been putting fine for about 6 months now and hadn't had a 3 jab in my last 5 or 6 rounds. I had 32 putts after 13 holes when the match ended....

Blakey played solid golf however, having 21 points on the front to put me under pressure, so it was only natural that I would crumble.

1st Hole - Par 4

Blake - Tee shot to right side of fairway about 100m out, wedge on, shave hole for birdie, tap in par.

Thommo - Tee shot to left side about 80m out, wedge on but very short, nice lag putt for a tap in par.

All square

2nd Hole - Par 3

Blake - Tee shot slightly left of green pin high, chip on to about 4 feet and makes par

Thommo - Tee shot to right rear of green, another solid lag putt, tap in for Par

All square

3rd Hole - Par 4

Blake - Block fade right under a tree, chip out, mid iron over back of green, chip on and 2 putts for double.

Thommo - Block fade right to edge of fairway, blind approach dumped in front pot, blast out and make par

Thommo 1 up

4th Hole - Par 5

Thommo - Pulls tee shot to deep left rough, hits 3 iron about 15m short of green, flubs chip to about 5m short of green, texas wedge to about 5 feet and misses putt for a bogey 6.

Blake - Pulls tee shot to left rough just off fairway, hits hybrid to fringe, chips on and holes putt for birdie.

Thommo is glad he holed birdie putt as he is no longer annoyed about missing short par putt (little does he know he will do alot of this today!)

All square

5th Hole - Par 4

Blake - Pushes tee shot ever so slightly to the right, knocks it on about 20 feet left of hole, races birdie putt about 10 feet past and holes the one coming back for Par

Thommo - Blocks tee shot right into trees, find ball on hardpan against a broken branch, so can't address ball or take full swing, after a few minutes stuffing about, hits miracle 140m 6 iron to about 25 feet, leaves birdie putt about 10 feet short and then lips out for Par.

3 putt #1

Blake 1 up

6th Hole Par 4

Blake - Pulls tee shot to left rough only just off fairway, knocks it on to about 40 feet, holes putt for birdie - never looked like missing

Thommo - Takes conservative approach after missing 3 fairways with driver, knocks hybrid up the centre, misjudges distance for approach and leaves a 6 iron on the very front of the green about 60 feet from hole, makes a decent attempt, but shaves the hole. Ends up 4 putting but not even par putt mattered as Blake was in hole for 3.

Blake 2 up

7th Hole - Par 3

Blake - Knocks it about 20 feet left, shaves hole and taps in for Par

Thommo - Leaves wedge short (realised after that Blake hit 8 iron!), chips on to about 10 feet, leaves Par putt short in the heart and makes bogey

Blake 3 up

8th Hole Par 5 - Thommo's one shot for the match

Blake - Pulls tee shot into hazard, takes drop, pitches out and gets up and down from about 130m holing a 20 footer for Par - Thommo deflates as the Par putt drops.

Thommo - Perfect drive, helps Blake look for ball, realises its in hazard and assumes the hole is won, knocks hybrid to short right bunker, hits a pitch and run shot to fringe about 25 feet from hole, knocks birdie putt 20 feet past hole next to Blakes ball, watches Blake hole putt and misses own putt, never even looking like getting near the hole. Taps in for bogey

Absolute chance gone begging there, easy Par in the taking from 220m out centre fairway, but combination of abysmal short game and clutch golf from Blake results in a half.

Blake 3 up

9th hole - Par 4

Blake - Knocks tee shot, to left side of fairway, then hits ripper of a shot to the toughest pin imagineable to about 12 feet, lips out for bird and taps in. (Think Allenby 2006 PGA 18th at Coolum)

Thommo - Knocks tee shot to left side of fairway, is 3 down so goes for the tough pin, hits a pretty pure shot straight at it, just gets over water and sucks back threatening to drop in water but stays up. Pretty pleased with himself, but then watches Blake hit a better shot. Rattled by quality golf from Blake, gives birdie putt a chance but misses high side and misses tiddler (less than 4 feet) coming back for deflating bogey to go 4 down through 9.

Blake 4 up - Even Par on front 9 for 21 points.

10th Hole

Blake - Knocks driver down centre, puts wedge to about 10 feet, birdie putt appears perfect but inexplicably doesn't drop. Feathers in for Par

Thommo - Knocks 3 wood down centre, knocks 9 iron to about 15 feet, shaves left edge and taps in for Par.

Blake 4 up

11th Hole - Par 3

Blake - Hits 6 iron tee shot in hazard, but ball is playable, hits left handed shot with putter to fringe, then gets up and down for a pretty good 4

Thommo - Knocks 6 iron to heart of green about 25 feet short below the hole. Notices Blake in hazard and stupidly thinks hole is won (clearly learnt nothing from 8th hole), leaves birdie putt about 8 feet short, watches Blake knock in 10 footer for bogey and responds by missing 8 footer for Par and taps in for Bogey.

Another 3 jab and another opportunity missed.

Blake 4 up

12th Hole - Par 4 (index 1, 425m)

Blake - Knocks decent tee shot to right rough but has a long way home, blocks it way right, hits a decent wedge on and 2 putts for bogey.

Thommo - Hits best tee shot of day down left side, only about 140 to get home. Inexplicably misses green short right fringe with only 8 iron, flubs chip barely out of shadow, chips on and 2 putts for double.

Another golden opportunity down the drain and as a result match is as good as over.

Blake 5 up

13th hole Par 4

Blake - Knocks tee shot up the centre, hits decent shot to heart of green and simple 2 putt Par.

Thommo - Pulls tee shot to left trees and is dead, chips out and hits wedge to about 25 feet. Needs to hole it just to go dormie 5, but of course 3 jabs and Blake wins in a canter.

Blake wins 6 and 5.

Just to really rub it in, Thommo misses next green and gets up and down, holing a 15 footer for Par!

Moe Norman
5th May 2008, 08:37 PM
Actually, I think Blakey actually 3 jabbed 13, but still won the hole!

markTHEblake
5th May 2008, 09:18 PM
should i correct all the others too ? :-)

Moe Norman
5th May 2008, 09:27 PM
what else was wrong?

obviously the distances are guesses, some of my putts may have been shorter and yours longer - but I need to maintain some level of self respect!

markTHEblake
5th May 2008, 09:56 PM
Ok, i'll be nice, Corrections in red :lol:

1st Hole - Par 4

Blake - Tee shot to right side of fairway about 100m out, wedge on, shave hole for birdie, tap in par.

Thommo - Tee shot to left side about 80m out, wedge on but very short, nice lag putt for a tap in par.

you were a handful of paces in front of me :razz:

All square

2nd Hole - Par 3

Blake - Tee shot slightly left of green pin high, chip on to about 4 2 and makes par

Thommo - Tee shot to right rear of green, another solid lag putt, tap in2.1 feet for Par

you putted first remember :razz:?
All square

3rd Hole - Par 4

Blake - Massive Gay Block fade right under a tree, chip out, mid iron 9 iron over back of green, chip on and 2 putts for double.

Thommo - Block fade right to edge of fairway, blind approach dumped in front pot, blast out and make par 2 putt bogey?

Thommo 1 up

4th Hole - Par 5

Thommo - Pulls tee shot to deep left rough, hits 3 iron about 15m short of green, flubs chip to about 5m short of green, texas wedge to about 5 feet and misses putt for a bogey 6.

Blake - Pulls smokes tee shot to left rough just off fairway, hits hybrid to fringe, chips on and holes putt for birdie.

Thommo is glad he holed birdie putt as he is no longer annoyed about missing short par putt (little does he know he will do alot of this today!)

All square

5th Hole - Par 4

Blake - Pushes tee shot ever so slightly to the right, knocks it on about 20 feet left of hole, races birdie putt about 10 6 feet past and holes the one coming back for Par
how the heck did I read a downhill putt as uphill?

Thommo - Blocks tee shot right into trees, find ball on hardpan against a broken branch, so can't address ball or take full swing, after a few minutes stuffing about, hits miracle 140m 6 iron to about 25 feet, leaves birdie putt about 105.9 feet short and then lips out for Par.
recovery shot of the century
3 putt #1

Blake 1 up

6th Hole Par 4

Blake - Pulls tee shot to left rough only just off fairway, knocks it on to about 40 20 feet, holes putt for birdie - never looked like missing was missing left all the way and broke uphill

Thommo - Takes conservative approach after missing 3 fairways with driver, knocks hybrid up the centre, misjudges distance for approach and leaves a 6 iron on the very front of the green about 60 feet from hole, makes a decent attempt, but shaves the hole. Ends up 4 putting but not even par putt mattered as Blake was in hole for 3.

Blake 2 up

7th Hole - Par 3

Blake - Knocks it about 20 feet left, shaves hole and taps in for Par

rooooobbbed

Thommo - Leaves wedge short (realised after that Blake hit 8 iron!), chips on to about 10 feet, leaves Par putt short in the heart and makes bogey

Blake 3 up

8th Hole Par 5 - Thommo's one shot for the match

Blake - Pulls tee shot into hazard, takes drop, pitches out and gets up and down from about 130m holing a 20 footer for Par - Thommo deflates as the Par putt drops.

Thommo - Perfect drive, helps Blake look for ball, realises its in hazard and assumes the hole is won, knocks hybrid to short right bunker, hits a pitch and run shot to fringe about 25 feet from hole, knocks birdie putt 20 feet past hole next to Blakes ball, watches Blake hole putt and misses own putt, never even looking like getting near the hole. Taps in for bogey

Absolute chance gone begging there, easy Par in the taking from 220m out centre fairway, but combination of abysmal short game and clutch golf from Blake results in a half.

Blake 3 up

9th hole - Par 4

Blake - Knocks tee shot, to left side of fairway, then hits ripper of a shot to the toughest pin imagineable to about 12 feet, lips out for bird and taps in. (Think Allenby 2006 PGA 18th at Coolum)

Thommo - Knocks tee shot to left side of fairway, is 3 down so goes for the tough pin, hits a pretty pure shot straight at it, just gets over water and sucks back threatening to drop in water but stays up. Pretty pleased with himself, but then watches Blake hit a better shot. Rattled by quality golf from Blake, gives birdie putt a chance but misses high side and misses tiddler (less than 4 feet) coming back for deflating bogey to go 4 down through 9.

Blake 4 up - Even Par on front 9 for 21 points.

10th Hole

Blake - Knocks driver down centre, puts wedge to about 10 feet, birdie putt appears perfect but inexplicably doesn't drop. Feathers in for Par

rooooobbbbed again

Thommo - Knocks 3 wood down centre, knocks 9 iron to about 15 feet, shaves left edge and taps in for Par.

Blake 4 up

11th Hole - Par 3

Blake - Hits 6 iron tee shot in hazard, but ball is playable, hits left handed shot with putter to fringe, then gets up and down for a pretty good 4. that was an 8 footer i reckon

Thommo - Knocks 6 iron to heart of green about 25 feet short below the hole. Notices Blake in hazard and stupidly thinks hole is won (clearly learnt nothing from 8th hole), leaves birdie putt about 8 feet short, watches Blake knock in 10 footer for bogey and responds by missing 8 footer for Par and taps in for Bogey.

Another 3 jab and another opportunity missed.

Blake 4 up

12th Hole - Par 4 (index 1, 425m)

Blake - Knocks decent tee shot to right rough but has a long way home, stoopid roadblocks it way right, hits a decent wedge on and 2 putts for bogey. up and down for bogey - stooppid pin position :lol:

Thommo - Hits best tee shot of day down left side, only about 140 to get home. Inexplicably misses green short right fringe with only 8 iron, flubs chip barely out of shadow, chips on and 2 putts for double.

Another golden opportunity down the drain and as a result match is as good as over.

Blake 5 up

13th hole Par 4

Blake - Knocks tee shot up the centre, hits decent shot to heart of green and simple 2 putt Par 3putt bogey

Thommo - Pulls tee shot to left trees and is dead, chips out and hits wedge to about 25 feet. Needs to hole it just to go dormie 5, but of course 3 jabs and Blake wins in a canter.

Blake wins 6 and 5.