PDA

View Full Version : Are you a Feel player, or a Mechanical player?

Eag's
23rd October 2004, 05:44 PM
I would be more of a feel player myself. Especially around and on the greens. I find the more I think about my swing, the worse I seem to play :oops:

It's something I am trying to change at the moment, going back to the basics of just making solid contact. I have fiddled with my swing for far to long now and it is time to just step up and hit the bloody thing :wink:

No more over analyzing every damn shot, just going to set up trust my swing and see what happens :smt095

markTHEblake
23rd October 2004, 06:07 PM
I define myself as a feel player - dont have much knowledge at all about swing mechanics, get bored with that stuff. However I always have a specific swing key or thought for every ball I hit.

Onewood
23rd October 2004, 06:22 PM
I think I'm a feel player aswell 8)

If I have a good round I feel good :D

If I have a bad round I feel bad :D

Much the same as you eags, feel around the greens and just hit it and trust the club selection :roll:

Jarro
23rd October 2004, 06:31 PM
i'd call myself a feel player.

Ona
23rd October 2004, 07:00 PM
good feel around the greens, bad feeling on the greens

Iain
23rd October 2004, 07:35 PM
I'd call myself a feel player, I do work a bit on mechanics when I'm playing a midweek round at Logan by myself and on the range, but when playing a comp or with you guys I just try and trust it and not think too much about it.....

Harder said than done though.... :roll:

Ducky
23rd October 2004, 08:57 PM
I would like to think both. A lot of the time my problem solving involves doing drills (the mechanical part), and then creating a routine that is able to be consistantly reproduced (the feel part) based on the drills. If I had to choose one or the other, it would probably be mechanical, which is okay by me as it's easier to fall back on swing mechanics than feel.

:)

Kind regards,

Ben (Ducky).

McMw
23rd October 2004, 09:41 PM
feel player myself (I think)....

what would you expect from someone who hates to go to the range??? :lol:

after the first couple of holes, I usually just step up to the ball, look at the target, and swing away...i hate taking practice swings (after the first 2 holes)...waste of time...
I usually have one or two loose half swings just to get the feel of the iron clipping the top of the grass...

but on the chipping and pitching, I take as many practice swings as I can to get comfortable with the shot I want to hit...

and for putting, I don't even practice...see the line, square the blade, and go...

Fishman Dan
24th October 2004, 09:21 AM
I feel like i'm going to play well before i start.
I feel like i'm in with a chance after 2 holes.
I feel like i'm losing it near the turn.
I feel annoyed after 12 when I could stop kidding myself i still have a chance.
I feel relieved walking up the 18th.
I feel embarrassed and awkward signing my card.

So i guess if that routine happens every week it's a mechanical process.

Courty
24th October 2004, 08:36 PM

LOL =D> :smt046 :smt043

andylo
25th October 2004, 07:50 AM
Currently a mechanic player, but trying to turn into feel player, especially around greens.

Golfgirl
25th October 2004, 09:50 AM

Couldn't have said that any better myself.... :roll: :oops:

I would call myself a feel player if it weren't for the fact that I can analyse my swing imperfections in mid-round and change them for still other swing imperfections.... :roll:

amanda
25th October 2004, 10:18 AM
On the practice fairway/range, I'm mechanics with my full swing - since I'm still a relative beginner. But out there on the course- I don't try and fill my head with mechanics as it usually sends me bonkers!

AndyP
25th October 2004, 10:49 AM
I must be a feel player.

When you guys start talking about noticing that your swing is doing this and your upper body is doing that and whatever, I've got no idea what you are talking about.

Me hit ball.

drunken
25th October 2004, 03:37 PM
Me hit ball.

Andy you may fall under this category....

http://golfdigest.com/features/index.ssf?/features/gd200411cavemangolf1.html

BrisVegas
25th October 2004, 05:41 PM
I am a borderline caveman! (10 points on that caveman quiz) Ask g69 about my sensible strategy on the golf course.... :oops: :oops: First hole at Brooky is a classic example :lol:

As far as mechanics v feel.... probably feel with the driver and long clubs and mechanics with the chipping and putting (mainly because I'm so crap I just think about proper execution.) :wink:

P.S. Check out the article about the gear the caveman has in his bag... Top stuff! http://golfdigest.com/features/index.ssf?/features/gd200411cavemanbag.html
Whatever makes you happy I say!!! :lol: 8) :P

terryand
25th October 2004, 06:28 PM
I would have to be Feel :-k

I live and die by the motto's.....

Grip it and rip it....and.....Don't die wondering :smt023

Terry.

markTHEblake
25th October 2004, 08:45 PM
my Caveman ranking :smt044 : 1-3: Blueblood or PGA wannabe. Your preshot routine is longer than "Freebird."

Flowergirl
26th October 2004, 08:17 AM
I'm a "girlie-man golfer or metrosexual - I'm happy with that!! Don't think the caveman image suits me. :wink:

I'm a mechainical golfer when practising - a feel golfer when playing.