PDA

View Full Version : Beginner needs Brisbane courses with practice/driving range area?

b1_
29th March 2008, 04:33 PM
Hi guys. I'm a beginner golfer that can't hit the side of a barn if I haven't had the chance to warm up all my clubs before a round. I would like to know what courses in Brisbane have a practice area or driving range. (include sunshine coast if you know of any because I do play the sunshine area sometimes)

I have played:

Victoria Park close to city:
The Good
- Excellent modern driving range
- Driving range balls are in good condition.
- Driving range open to 10pm 7 days
- Driving range floodlit
The Bad
- Driving range $15 for 105 balls not cheap.
- Driving range not flat so judging how far you're hitting not easy
- The actual course is poor. Very hilly. Too many short holes.

Nudgee (north east from the city out toward the airport):
I haven't played either the north or south course just had a hit on the practice driving range. It's cheap at $8 for 90 balls, and the range itself is flat so you can judge your hitting distance, but the practice balls look like they've recently been chewed to bits by a rabid dog and leave marks and crap all over your club face. Doesn't look like the course is expensive to play.

Pacific Golf Course (south east from city)
Nice course. A little tight and twisty, and up and down. I didn't see a practice driving range?

Gympie Pines Golf Course
A stunning course. Very nice lush green fairways. Really nice for a beginner to just go out and hit long, and forgiving too - if you are wayward off the tee most of the time you can find your ball. My favorite course but NO PRACTCE/DRIVING RANGE! Aaahhh!

I live in Fortitude Valley. I'm leaning towards Nudgee as my regular club but pity about the condition of those practice balls dammit.

Thx if you can help.

Moe Norman
29th March 2008, 04:54 PM
If price isn't an issue, Indooroopilly has a good range.

Deano
29th March 2008, 05:23 PM
Check out Wynnum GC.
Practice area is only good for 8 iron down but Golf Mania driving range
is only a couple of minutes away.

Jarro
29th March 2008, 06:22 PM
Nudgee

perci
29th March 2008, 06:59 PM
Nudgee (north east from the city out toward the airport):
I haven't played either the north or south course just had a hit on the practice driving range. It's cheap at $8 for 90 balls, and the range itself is flat so you can judge your hitting distance, but the practice balls look like they've recently been chewed to bits by a rabid dog and leave marks and crap all over your club face. Doesn't look like the course is expensive to play.

Gympie Pines Golf Course
A stunning course. Very nice lush green fairways. Really nice for a beginner to just go out and hit long, and forgiving too - if you are wayward off the tee most of the time you can find your ball. My favorite course but NO PRACTCE/DRIVING RANGE! Aaahhh!

I live in Fortitude Valley. I'm leaning towards Nudgee as my regular club but pity about the condition of those practice balls dammit.

Thx if you can help.[/QUOTE]

Lets see, live in the Valley, Nudgee or Gympie, tough one to weigh up that unless you get free Fuel or got your own Helicopter!

just
29th March 2008, 07:33 PM
b1
I agree that the balls at Nudgee driving range aren't the greatest, but I find there is generally only a few really bad balls in each bucket. Plus the balls are cheaper if you are a member. I can also highly recommend Gary Warburton at Nudgee to get lessons from, if you are after lessons as well.
I've only used Vic Park range a couple of times but I hate the balls, they're restricted flight and they are hard. If you want a driving range the Big Ezy at Carseldine is nicer and less busy, still restricted flight balls but better quality.

Rusty
31st March 2008, 10:10 AM
b1 if you lived in the Valley you'd be hard pressed not to go to Vic Park. it's slightly cheaper if you get a "dallas key" (credit token).

depends on what you want to work on at the time. if you wanted to work on knowing your distances per club, you'd have to go to a flat practice area, and hit the ball you usually hit (of course assuming that you are consistent in your swings). if you wanted to work on short/long bunkers, long putts then you'd need to find an area for that also.

i don't find the balls at Vic Park much different in distance, height & shot shape, much different to my normal ball.

b1_
31st March 2008, 10:53 PM
b1 if you lived in the Valley you'd be hard pressed not to go to Vic Park. it's slightly cheaper if you get a "dallas key" (credit token).

I've been going to Vic Park for a year. It's convenient for sure but it's just that the cost adds up. I must have spent over $500 last year. I'm looking for alternatives.

I need a regular haunt that won't break the bank over the long run. Nudgee looks like the best option for me, with the occasional visit to Vic Park weeknights (if I add in petrol costs getting to driving ranges out in the burbs, and the time it takes to get there, then Vic Park starts to look better). Nudgee is a 10min drive away, has a flat driving range that's cheap, two 18 hole courses and is a blue collar club with nice prices. I'll have to just take a cleaning towel and clean my clubs after practicing with those balls. Would be absolutely the perfect place if it was flood lit.

I will try Wynnum and Indooroopilly once at least. Thx for the suggestions. I've still yet to try Oxley and Gailes, or Virginia, which has a 'practice area'.

Rusty
1st April 2008, 04:33 PM
(if I add in petrol costs getting to driving ranges out in the burbs, and the time it takes to get there, then Vic Park starts to look better).

accountants would call that "fully costed". it's hard not to take those costs into account in determining the real cost. :neutral:

b1_
1st April 2008, 07:58 PM
And with a Dallas Key each bucket of 105 costs $12. Nudgee is $8 for 90 balls, but let's add $2 for petrol to get there and both work out to about 11c per ball, and Vic Park is closer and open weeknights. So vic park wins, but their course is still sucks.

Jarro
1st April 2008, 08:01 PM
Nudgee has new range balls on the way too.

Just thought i'd add that.

leighthebee
2nd April 2008, 05:04 AM
Pacific has a range between the pro shop and the houses. Balls aren't that flash but hitting balls there really improves the confidence when on the course.