PDA

View Full Version : Week commencing 24th March 2008

just
24th March 2008, 11:18 AM
Played Nudgee today. Had 39 pts. Had 24 on the front nine and then completely tanked the back nine for 15. Also had 36 pts on Saturday.

My last four rounds have been:
38 pts Nudgee
99/74 Wynnum Cup
36 pts Nudgee
39 pts Nudgee

If this goddamn handicap doesn't move downwards soon, I'm going to put the clubs to the torch!:evil::twisted:

Bruce
24th March 2008, 12:11 PM
Yesterday was one of the best golfing performances of me life. Legends then the Open.

In the morning I hit 6 of the first 7 greens in regulation and ended with 11 for the round which is a personal best for me, though I'm sure that number is slightly inflated by the size of the greens. I made a lot of pars and had no major blowouts. In fact I reckon I could have got slightly better as I lost a ball on the 9th in a place we were all amazed we couldn't find it. I would have gone back and reloaded to try and grab another point or two if the course marshall wasn't hanging around us telling us to get a move on (side note - I'm sorry to say this but the first group were SNAILS). Only made one birdie putt though and that was only about 4cm on the par 3 16th. Had a couple from 10ft or less that I couldn't get to drop. 42 points, 2 wipes and win 8-).

A flying pit stop and we were off to the Open course. The wind stayed gentle for most of the afternoon but with some moderate gusts. No more than 2 clubs worth at any point so things were nicely benign. Swanny decided he was getting back into some form so he threw down the gauntlet for $1 a hole to keep the interest up. No one in front of us, no one behind. It seemed like we had the whole course to ourselves.

"Over bunkered" is one of the complaints of the Open course and all of them will cost you a shot, you can only really make sure you get out. Swanny played out of one that was fully 12 feet deep and did a great job of getting out first time without even looking like leaving it in there. The 18th looks like an artillery brigade have laid down a grid pattern on it to ensure maximum carnage. I found 2 bunkers down that hole and ended with an 8 which pushed me to 91 off the bat. I would have liked to break 90 twice in a day but that hole was too much for that late in what was a very long day. And Swanny owes me $6.

What was most pleasing about the day was my holding it together not just for 18 but for 36. It took me till the 35th hole for my first ugly chunk. My putting was as rock solid as any rounds of me life.

I'll post a photo of Andigold later confronted with the worst lie I have ever seen. Up against a near vertical wall in a bunker held in place by a giant lump of sand. The possible results for him were:
1. An airie.
2. Make enough contact to move it to a more playable spot in the bunker.
3. Get it out of the bunker
4. Get it out of the bunker and down to the middle of the fairway.
Excellent work Andi in producing result #4 - that was the second best shot from our group in the morning.

This may be too big an essay for a What did you shoot thread. I am becoming AndyP. This is for 2 rounds though.

Eag's
24th March 2008, 12:51 PM
Great stuff Bruce, glad to hear you are hitting some form mate :smt038

goughy
24th March 2008, 01:34 PM
Most points today I've shot in 2 or 3 years now, 38 with no wipes. New 56 was great from the sand, but still got a lot of kinks to work out of it from within 100mtrs. Some fir's, some gir's. 34 putts with like 5 one putts is disgraceful, and still holding me back.

Had a ball! If anyone sees my lung out there could they return it! ;)

Scottt
24th March 2008, 02:17 PM
Two games this weekend, and two times I've thrown it away down the stretch.

Had 34 at Horizons on Saturday finishing:
2 (horseshoed a four footer)
2 (missed a 45cm putt)
- (hit the wrong ball)
3 (par)
2 (missed a 4.5 foot birdie putt)

Had 38 at Marrickville today, finishing:

1 (bogeyed a 260m par four)
3 (par a par 3)
1 (bogeyed a 270m par four
- (triple on a 300m par four)
2 (parred a 125m par three)

19pts and 23pts the front for the two days, and 15 the back both days.

No three putts though, which considering the size of Horizons' greens, complete with buried elephants, is an achievement.

Started the weekend on 10.4 and really should have got it back to single figures, but just didn't finish well enough either day.

Eag's
24th March 2008, 02:28 PM
Most points today I've shot in 2 or 3 years now, 38 with no wipes. New 56 was great from the sand, but still got a lot of kinks to work out of it from within 100mtrs. Some fir's, some gir's. 34 putts with like 5 one putts is disgraceful, and still holding me back.

Had a ball! If anyone sees my lung out there could they return it! ;)

So did you play your match today against Rocket??

mikezone13
24th March 2008, 03:51 PM
Just got back from Camden Lakeside... what a contrast to saturday, ball striking was superb for a comfortable 39pts (19 + 20) and a 79 off the stick (all holes holed out) first time I ahd ever played the course.

Some really good stats as well...

11/14 fairways, just could not miss and my only missed fairways were max of 3m from the short grass
12/18 GIR (best in the past 2 years)
2/5 U&D
35 putts (didn't putt poorly, just hit lots of greens, made lots of 3-4 footers which was great)

2 birds
10 pars
4 bogies
1 double (3 shots in the bunker, up and down with the 3rd one ;) )
1 triple (shanked it into a greenside bunker when pin high 20m left on a par 5 for two, 2 bunker shots and 3 putts later - triple)

Really happy with my ball striking and apart from the two ugly holes due to bunkers the only other complaints were the 2 greens I missed with wedge in hand and couldn't get up and down.

Also quite impressed with the course for my first time there.

goughy
24th March 2008, 04:19 PM
So did you play your match today against Rocket??

Yup, and stuck a rocket up me ;) ;) Had to let him post result first though!

swanny
24th March 2008, 04:59 PM
Swanny's WEEK

Monday

The Legends - Moonah - 28 points with 8 Wipes.

Played like a spastic lots of mistakes and plenty to work on. Highlights were that when i got the driver working i did hit some GIR had two putts inside 10 feet for birdies after playing some very nice short irons into the green.

The Open course - Moonah - 34 points

Even though i tired over the last 3 holes i did feel that i had played significantly better than the morning round.only recorded three wipes from memory so a much more consistent round

further updates for wednesdays round after iplay

Scottt
24th March 2008, 05:30 PM
1 triple (shanked it into a greenside bunker when pin high 20m left on a par 5 for two, 2 bunker shots and 3 putts later - triple).

Was that the 13th? If so rest asured that you aren't the first!

BrisWesty
24th March 2008, 06:29 PM
A game of two halves at Caboolture today. 86 - 49/37
The conditions were pretty heavy. Didn't think we'd had that much rain.
Was 12 over after 6 holes, and played the last 12 holes in 4 over, including the last 7 in par. 8 fairways, 7 GIR, 33 putts.

mikezone13
24th March 2008, 07:03 PM
Was that the 13th? If so rest asured that you aren't the first!

Nope, the11th (the shame), 13 was an easy 2 putt birdie :) ... well not so easy after my mate had rolled in a 30 footer for his bird

nudgee
24th March 2008, 07:52 PM
OK i normally dont post in this thread coz my rounds are usually nothing to write about but today was one of those days where the planets lined up and it all came together.

Single Stab at Nudgee - 47 points - 2 under the stick net!

23 points front nine and 24 points back nine. Solid game all round with good drives/approach shots and not too bad putting which is usually my weakness. Two wayward drives but had two good recovery shots. I am also loving my new Cally X Forged wedges, throw them at the pin coz they stick on the spotl and the 64* wedge should be bloody illegal (thanks Gaz). The dudes (plus Ploppy Pat) I played with who were off 4 suggested I should not be using blades half way through the round - at the end of the round they said that maybe blades were OK for me :mrgreen:

BTW I was using the new callaway IX ball - very happy with it - great off the tee and good stopping power with wedges.

goughy
24th March 2008, 07:58 PM
On ya Nudgee - suck Rocket - maybe even todays play can't save you now ;) :)

Eag's
24th March 2008, 07:58 PM
Well done Jamie that's a top round mate :smt038 what will that drop your hcp to ??

BrisVegas
24th March 2008, 08:17 PM
awesome stuff javier! that's some good form you're taking into Barnbougle.

Flowergirl
24th March 2008, 08:18 PM
Well done Bruce on backing up your great Legends round with conquering the Open course as well.

And yes we were SNAILS..........amazing how many lost balls we all had - some more than others. Sorry.:smt087

BrisWesty
24th March 2008, 08:55 PM
Shooting Nudgee !!!!

nudgee
24th March 2008, 09:11 PM
Eags - from 9 down to 7

Looking forward to Barnbougle.......

Bruce
24th March 2008, 09:42 PM
Acceptance is the first step to recovery Reenie ;)

And that is some awesome shooting Nudgee.

There's always a good news story or two in these threads.

kev
24th March 2008, 10:05 PM
Acceptance is the first step to recovery Reenie ;)

<snip>

Actually Reenie didn't lose anything from memory.

It was all my fault, for which I humbly apologise :oops:

Let's see 7 balls at 5 minutes per ball....

teach
25th March 2008, 09:52 PM
Played Mt Warren Park on Monday....

Stroke - 79 (37/42)

Missed all birdie putts but made some good par putts...

Shaneo
27th March 2008, 06:56 AM
played at southern yesterday

f/ways - 10/14
greens - 14/18
putts - 30
bogeys - 2
doubles - 1
birdies - 3
eagles - 1

a bit of a mixed bag but fought for 39 points (71)
pretty happy considering the conditions.
looking forward to playing with courty today, hopefully the rain buggers off

3oneday
27th March 2008, 08:32 AM
You shot 99 two weeks ago, play lefthanded ? :confused:

Shaneo
27th March 2008, 06:39 PM
You shot 99 two weeks ago, play lefthanded ? :confused:

nah man not here if that was intended for me.

Jarro
27th March 2008, 06:45 PM
Shaneo, your golflink record shows you as having a 99 at Eastwood G.C. on the 12th March :-s

Shaneo
27th March 2008, 06:57 PM
Shaneo, your golflink record shows you as having a 99 at Eastwood G.C. on the 12th March :-s

yeah i played half a round and then i got called into work but they handed my card in for me, how nice of them.

Flowergirl
29th March 2008, 08:47 AM
Pennant Thursday at Sorrento. Weather looked very threatening but ended up ok. The team had a great win and I had my first win for the season 4/2.
Played solid all day with a lot less errors. My putting was amazing!!! I never make many big putts but I saved myself with big putts 4 times. I just stood over it and told myself that it was going in - and it did!!!

I just love pennant. The nerves aren't as bad as the first two years and I really enjoy the experience. I really want to win - but It's not as life and death as it used to be. :smt023

Courty
29th March 2008, 08:52 AM
Congrats Reenie, well done. After seeing your game first hand, I have every confidence in your ability to go far in Pennants.

Eag's
29th March 2008, 08:53 AM
Top stuff Reenie :smt038

Moe Norman
29th March 2008, 10:52 AM
Played three times on my holiday and after a shocking game first up I hit a little bit of form.

Easter Sunday - Pelican Waters

88 off the stick for Net 81.

Made quad on the 2nd and then a triple on the 5th and another triple on the 8th! Apart from that I played 'ok' !

Managed to pinch 6 skins in the end though with a tap in birdie on 18, luckily the other blokes kept halving everything :)

Tuesday 25th March - Caloundra Golf Club

77 off the stick for Net 70 (Par 71)

I hit alot of fairways and greens, managed to minimise damage and made no doubles. No birdies in the round was a tuch disappointing.

Thursday 27th March - Pelican Waters

75 off the stick for Net 68.

This was one of my better rounds in recent memory and was really a missed opportunity in the end. I was hitting the ball VERY well, and the putter was working ok. I reached the 6th sitting -1 after a birdie on the Par 5 third, and inexplicably dumped my tee shot 40m short in the juice and walked away with a double. (160m Par 3)

I then made a silly bogey on the 9th after not managing to hit my first greenside chip out of my shadow, to turn in 38.

I then played pretty solid on the back, just had trouble with distance control on approaches which left me some simple up & downs (even for me) or some long putts for birdie. I probably should have knocked a few wedges closer, but I didn't make any mistakes so I can't complain too much.

However, I knocked my tee shot on the green of the 12th and had a simple 2 putt birdie and then had a lucky break on the 15th. I hit a woeful tee-shot way right, was lucky to find my ball and had to chip out backwards. I then knocked a simple wedge into the bunker and was absolutely furious with myself.....then holed the bunker shot for Par :)

So I was sitting +1 through 15, with a tough finish to come. If anyone knows the 16th at Pelican its a complete **** of a hole, but I was educated on the previous Sunday by a bloke who hit 3 iron, 8 iron and wedge to the middle of the green. So I thought that was a good strategy as this hole has completely wrecked me plenty of times, especially off the tee.

Knocked a hybrid down the middle, then hit 8 iron and wedge inside 2 feet and tapped in for birdie. Can't believe I've been hitting driver off that tee for about 8 years now!

-1 through 16 with 2 tough holes (Index 3 and 1 from memory) to come, very tough driving holes. So on 17 I hit what I thought was beautiful high fade, but I caught it a little too well and it settled in the rough through the fairway, I then got a flyer with wedge out of there and dumped it in the hazard behind the green and made a soft double. Steam was coming from my ears so when I got to the 18th tee I was having a fairly agressive swing...

So I hit an absolute bomb, and like 17, I overhit it. If you know 18 at Pelican there is a cross path with thick rough at about the 290-300m mark from the back tees, usually unreachable. I managed to just trickle in, and could just see the top of my ball. Dug it out, made bogey and the rest is history!

Very happy to break handicap off the blacks at Pelican as I haven't been near the HCP lately, but its still hard to forget how close I was to breaking par for the first time in 7 years!

Bugger.

Flowergirl
29th March 2008, 02:30 PM
Moe:smt023:smt023:smt023:smt023:smt023

kev
29th March 2008, 03:54 PM
Well done on the win Reenie :smt038 Excellent news.

BrisWesty
29th March 2008, 05:39 PM
35 points today. Was 2 points up with 4 holes to play and dropped 3 points in a pretty disappointing fade out. That said, still played better than Monday.

shazza_rs
29th March 2008, 05:47 PM
Nudgee North - Single Stroke
---------------------------
87/75
35 Putts (numerous 3 putts :( )
13/14 fairways
4/18 GIR
5/16 U/D
0/3 Sand

I really need to start playing out of the sand better. Played pretty consistently today. Putted pretty shite.

On the up side i played with a junior (15) today who plays off 2. She had a 72/70. Was enjoyable to watch. I don't think she hit a fairway until 12th hole. In the left trees all day.

oz
29th March 2008, 06:02 PM
Blew it at Albury today. Played solidly around the front for 21 points, but lost my cool & concentration mid-way through the back 9, for 13 pts, total 34. On a positive note, I feel like the work I did with the pro at Yarrawonga is starting to come good. Iron play was better, chipping & pitching good, and putting OK. Could not get the driver going, though, and paid for it on the back 9. Signs of improvement, though.

Bruce
29th March 2008, 06:19 PM
So will this stop your kvetching Moe?

Well played.

PeteyD
29th March 2008, 07:27 PM
-1 in V Par today. Big choke coming home, +2 with 3 to play ... Anyway. Definately took the wrong driver to Toowoomba last weekend. So another round at my home course with no movement on the handicap.

Courty
29th March 2008, 09:52 PM
I was on fire for the first 9 today. 20 points with a 1 pointer and a few other missed putts. The 2nd 9 was a real disappointment though. 12 points with 2 wipes. :smt013

Edit: Just did the stats...
FIR: 6/14
GIR: 8/18
U&D: 4/10
Putts: 33

It's quite obvious to me, even without the stats, that my short game was to blame yesterday. I'm blaming the fact that I had just gotten used to the pure Victorian greens when I came back to play at home. The majority of the missed putts were short on our slower greens.

Grunt
29th March 2008, 10:05 PM
I was on fire for the first 9 today. 20 points with a 1 pointer and a few other missed putts. The 2nd 9 was a real disappointment though. 12 points with 2 wipes. :smt013

Know that feeling very well, welcome to the club Courty.

Courty
30th March 2008, 09:48 AM
Oh... I forgot to mention that Dion has somehow transmitted his disease up here. I've had 3 shanks in the past 2 rounds. That's 3 more than I've had in the previous 2 years. :smt087 :oops:

Dazza
30th March 2008, 11:17 AM
Went for a round this morning with the Sunday Social Club.

Shot 44 off the stick. Handicap of 14.5, ended up with 29.5 nett.
Won the competition, Handicap has been slashed, and I now have 5 new Maxfli Noodles in the bag!
Everything came together well, except my approach shots with my irons. But some practice will iron that flaw out.
Chipped like a champ all day, with most landing a foot from the hole.
Putting improved, but still not as good as I'd like.

Cheers

Dazza

Bruce
30th March 2008, 01:12 PM
. I'm blaming the fact that I had just gotten used to the pure Victorian greens when I came back to play at home. The majority of the missed putts were short on our slower greens.

I have used that excuse when I have gone north too Courty.

We have things pretty good down here.

Courty
30th March 2008, 01:17 PM
We have things pretty good down here.

Only in golfing terms. ;)

Eag's
30th March 2008, 03:11 PM
Played Nudgee South today with Just 4BBB Stab, we had 47 points.
I was quite happy how I hit the ball today especially my irons.
Driver was a bit wayward due to a few minor swing changes I am going through.

Shot 79
Greens 10
Fairways 6
Putts 33 (2 three putts)

chappy1970
30th March 2008, 03:30 PM
PAR - finished 4 up.

Played well and yet still left quite a few out there including 2 outs arggghhh

Not enough to get me back into single digits though, h'cap has come into 9.5

Chappy

shazza_rs
30th March 2008, 05:32 PM
Played 4BBB Stab today. Pete was my partner.

We managed 46 points.

I myself would of had 40 points.

Had 81/69
11/13 Fairways
6 GIR
31 Putts
3 from 9 U/D
1 from 3 Sand saves

Played pretty solidy all day. Knew i had to keep consistent. Only stuff up was a double on the 17th.

2 birdies
7 pars
8 bogies
1 double

shazza_rs
30th March 2008, 05:44 PM
Pete and i got up for a win in the Mixed 4BBB. Yeha!

Richard and Just, 47 was the 3rd place score but you were done on a countback. A ball in the rundown.

Courty
30th March 2008, 05:54 PM
Well done, Pete & Shaz!

Eag's
30th March 2008, 06:00 PM
Nice work you guys :smt038

jimandr
30th March 2008, 07:21 PM
A very frustrating 33 points today. I kept missing greens into difficult spots, doing well to chip to 8 to 10 feet, and then miss the putt.

Fairways = 10 of 14
Greens in reg = 5 of 18
Putts = 34, 2 3putts, 2 birdies
Up&Down = 2 of 10

kev
30th March 2008, 07:28 PM
Played Spring Valley today. Thanks to andigold hosting the Vics Matchplay.

Congrats to Reenie triumphing 4 & 3 over me.

Came away with 18 points and 17 shots in bunkers (2 x 3 shotters, 4 x 2 shotters and 3 x singles).

I thinks that sets some kind of record :oops:

Luckily I have my therapist on speed dial....

Jarro
30th March 2008, 07:29 PM
Bad luck Kev ... Reenie has triumphed over many a galant young man though, so don't feel too bad ;)

kev
30th March 2008, 07:38 PM
Bad luck Kev ... Reenie has triumphed over many a galant young man though, so don't feel too bad ;)

Thanks jarro, but being beaten by a SKIRT ???? God I'll never live this down :lol:

goughy
30th March 2008, 07:46 PM
Ask her for a massage to ease your pain!

BrisVegas
30th March 2008, 07:55 PM
congrats reenie and well played Moe. Amazing how much better you can play with some back to back games Moe ....

I had my last dig at Brookwater today as a member. Hit the ball really well, but made no putts and had two stupid wipes (anyone wanna buy a 58 wedge??). No birdies and a 3 putt. had 14 pars. Felt like I should have had 1-2 over, not 6 over, but hey it's the first comp round I've had in ages at Brookwater where I beat par.

78 gross for 39 points
12 FIR
11 GIR
33 putts
2/4 sand saves

EDIT - back to 8 hcap now.
EDIT - won the comp!

Eag's
30th March 2008, 08:19 PM
Nice work Dion :smt038

PeteyD
30th March 2008, 08:21 PM
Nicely done Dion.

Scottt
30th March 2008, 08:29 PM
Golf is a wierd game:

First nine (the back) Hit all seven fairways and had 45 (+9)
Second nine (the front) Hit one of seven fairways and had 39 (+3)

The first time I'd made it out to Penrith (my home course) since late Oct when I played there with Andrew, and I'd forgotten what a great track it is.

mikezone13
31st March 2008, 09:49 PM
34pts at Glenmore Heritage Valley.. stats not done yet, but not enough greens and not enough fairways and way too many putts :)

Jarro
1st April 2008, 05:06 AM
Thanks jarro, but being beaten by a SKIRT ???? God I'll never live this down :lol:

Happened to me at Wynnum last year mate, i know what you're on about.

Flowergirl
1st April 2008, 08:19 AM
Skirts rule:mrgreen: