PDA

View Full Version : my first eagle!

Rusty
22nd March 2008, 08:02 AM
well, a little bit corny, but just sharing some joy. i'll set the scene - had some spare time on Thursday so rang AndyP to play McLeod in the comp. he'd had a call that he might have to leave to pick up the youngest if an earache worsened. so unfortunately, after 5 he'd got the call and would have to go soon.

so we played the 7th 480m par 5. it's got a little creek to clear off the tee at around maybe 220. the hole's flat, the tees were up, so i wanted to see if i could clear it. usually go about 240 total with driver. so had a go, hit it about as good as i could, and just cleared it by about 5m. ok, mental note to self - won't be trying that again.

ok, so i'm over, so i thought, "time to see how close i can get to the green". fairway narrows just before the green with trees and hazard left and bunkers right and out from the green. so hit my 5w (haven't quite mastered the 4w off the deck) and hit another shot as best as i could, and hit stopped about 1m short in front of the green - "great" i thought to my self.

so i get up there and have a look at the green, pin is at the back maybe 16-18m, with a small trough in the green just before the pin. read it as about 2' right to left. pulled out the favourite 8iron for these chips, had a couple of practice strokes, and was thinking "ok, make sure i hit it hard enough to get there". so sent it on it's way, on what i thought was about the right line and maybe a bit soft on pace. so it's rolling, goes down into the trough, still a bit right of the hole, and i thought "oh, that's good, it won't be too far away" then up the other side of the trough, slowing down quite a bit... it's still rolling... lookin' like it gettin' pretty close the hole... and then, it's gone! dropped in the hole! :smt038 i was certainly happy, but i was more stunned. i hardly made a noise. just turned to AP and said half stunned "that was my first eagle". couldn't wipe the smile off my face, that's for sure.

anyway, a bit long winded, but just wanted to share the joy. next goal - to putt one in for eagle. now that'd be good. i've had a couple of chances recently so here's hoping that it'll come.

but now the best bit - the funny bit. so AP's had to go and i decide to wait for the group about 2 holes behind, so i can keep playing in the comp. so i'm practice putting on the green just finished. the 3rd green and 4th tee is right nearby. a couple of guys come off the par 5 3rd and tee up on the par 4 4th 352m. the 4th is a blind, slight dogleg left, with OB tight left. on the left there's a slim line of trees, then houses. so to protect the houses (well, try, anyway) they've got a high, steel posted fence running for only a short distance down the left in front of the tee. so yep, you've guessed it, this guy tees up with his driver, has a lash... and "ting" - his ball hit's a fence post about 25m in front then rockets back in between the 10m distance between him and his mate, and heads straight for the 3rd green they've just come off. it's rolling on the verge, on the edge behind the green, and there's water behind that green in the direction it's going. though, it gets caught up in the longer grass, and eventually stops short of the water and he's now about 40m behind the tee. oh, funny, funny. :lol:

BrisVegas
22nd March 2008, 08:06 AM
congratulations rusty! I'm sure you'll make plenty more.

My first was on the 3rd at City GC. holed a wedge. happy days.

AndyP
22nd March 2008, 08:54 AM
A wonderfully executed hole (despite having the wrong info on the creek clearance :p). It was a great looking chip too. Congratulations again.

As BV said, you'll have plenty more. In fact, I'd assumed that you had already had some, especially with your lack of excitement.

Johnny Canuck
22nd March 2008, 04:08 PM
congrats! what kind of ball is on the mantle?

Iain
22nd March 2008, 04:26 PM
Congrats Rusty.

BrisWesty
22nd March 2008, 05:55 PM
Yay Rusty!

perci
22nd March 2008, 07:46 PM
You Da Man Rusty!

Baz
23rd March 2008, 09:58 AM
Gee rus ya gotta let it rip & get excited. just another confirmation on your downward journey to single figure play. congrats baz

Jono
23rd March 2008, 09:34 PM
anyway, a bit long winded, but just wanted to share the joy.

I enjoyed every word of that. Congrats. 8-)

Flowergirl
23rd March 2008, 09:51 PM
Well done Rusty. Hope you have plenty more.:smt038

shazza_rs
23rd March 2008, 11:17 PM
congrats rusty....

i still haven't got a 'real' one...

Rusty
24th March 2008, 08:09 AM
congrats! what kind of ball is on the mantle?

a crappy condition v1x - in case a creeked it off the tee :D

Johnny Canuck
24th March 2008, 11:43 AM
better than a top flight!

markTHEblake
24th March 2008, 03:38 PM
congrats on your first, and even better you did it with 3 great shots.

but now the best bit - the funny bit. so AP's had to go and i decide to wait for the group about 2 holes behind, so i can keep playing in the comp.

what the :shock: dont tell me Andyp walked off in a comp and left you on your own :-k

thats worse than booking a game of golf with your mates, pulling out with some feeble excuse, and then having a hit with another set of mates.:razz:

jaybam
24th March 2008, 06:31 PM
way to go rusty. Great effort for your first eagle and with plenty more to follow i am sure. :)

Scottt
24th March 2008, 06:45 PM
Congrats. Your first eagle stays with you, that's for sure. I still remember mine clearly. Aged 16, par five 18th hole at Nelson Bay, hit driver-3wood to a foot! Lucky the putt was so short or I'd have missed it because my knees were knocking so much! LOL