PDA

View Full Version : Week commencing 17th March 2008

Flowergirl
19th March 2008, 09:13 PM
Thsi thread is getting started later and later each week.:shock:

I've had a full week of golf - played 6 times in the past 8 days. You would think by now I'd be playing like a champ.;)

Played ok up on the Murray at Thurgoona - but boy was it hot. We mainly played team events so it was hard to guage scores etc. We did have one 9 hole event and I had 20 points - so I was pretty pleased with that.

I had a lesson with a female pro at the club and she was able to pick my problem and explain to me in about 10 mins how to fix it. My regular coach hasn't been able to get through to me in 2 years. So - I now have a much better looking swing - more compact and easy - with better results.But I still have a long way to go. I am trying a new pro down here - I'm trying one at Moonah Links on Friday- and I will have a series of lessons and hopefully improve. My old coach never started up where we left off and always seemed to go off on another tack - which left me confused and with way too many swing thoughts - which is not a good thing.

So today was compand we played par. I hit a few shockers - big pulls - but not one weak block which has been my trouble. Short game was a lot better as was my putting. I had +2 - and considering the changes I've made and the trouble I got into I was pretty happy with that. Lost .3 but still off 17 - but not for long:smt023

swanny
20th March 2008, 01:46 AM
Played yesterday at Sanctuary Lakes and shot 88 off the stick for a net 64 my best round since regaining my Handicap. I had to putt well as i only hit one green in regulation. Made two birdies and numerous Pars and hit everything very solid. Only hit 6 Fairways but when i missed it was only by a few feet. This was a very satisfying round and im looking forward to playing Moonah this weekend. I think i will do around 3 shots so my handicap should start to come down now.

Courty
20th March 2008, 06:19 AM
Nice work, Swanny. I'm glad someone is confident about playing well at Moonah, 'cos I'm not. :roll: ;)

Flowergirl
20th March 2008, 06:43 AM
well done swanny...............and Courty - don't worry about Moonah - it's such an easy course to play. Just keep telling yourself that..............

Toolish
20th March 2008, 07:03 AM
swanny, nice round...did you have a chip in, or hole a putt from off the green?

FG, hope it goes well with the new pro...I gotta start looknig at lessons again I think!

Bruce
20th March 2008, 08:21 AM
Well played Swanny.

Good timing in waiting till after our match to drop your three shots you bastard.

Sunday can't come soon enough. I've had a c***t of a week and just want to get out and play with some non-work company.

kev
20th March 2008, 12:19 PM
Geez - seems like everyone's getting warmed up for the weekends game. Nice score there Swanny.

Good to see you're working things out with your game FG. :smt038

swanny
20th March 2008, 02:12 PM
Confirmed Down to 21 and took the cookies for the the Bgrade nett.

I may have only hit 1 green in reg but parred all the par 3's and made a few other pars. Im dissapointed a little because my score could have been so much better i had one triple and one qudrulpe Boogie as well as a couple of doubles.

I have been working on using a three quarter swing and punching my irons and this seems to work a treat. just need to sort my distances out and i really believe i can get down to low teens or even single figures by the end of the year.

Toolish.

One chip in on the 15th which is a short par 4 after i had come up short with my first chip and the ball had run in behind a bunker. left me about 10 feet of green to work with took the lob wedge out and lobbed it over the pot landed very soft two bounces and rolled it into the hole. The other bird was made from 184 cm on the 11th hole which is a par 3 of around 165m into the wind i punched a low 4 iron to 184 and drained the putt.

AndyP
20th March 2008, 02:50 PM
20/03/2008, McLeod GC, Stableford.

Only played 7 holes, but I'll have a look at my stats anyway.

4/5 effective tee-shots.
3/7 effective approaches.
15 putts.
0/1 up and down success.
----------
3 pars.
4 bogeys.

Score 32 stab 13 (Par 28 )

It would have been nice to finish the round to see how it panned out. I continued my good confident run with the driver, and it seemed like the irons were starting to come around.

The putting was ordinary. The greens were slow and I had trouble getting them to the hole and on the right line. They just didn't seem to break, except to jag away from the hole. :roll: Slow greens aren't good practice for the slick greens of Headland. I feel like I am rolling them alright though.

Next round: Easter Champs @ Headland, as I said last time.

oz
20th March 2008, 03:17 PM
I had a lesson with a female pro at the club and she was able to pick my problem and explain to me in about 10 mins how to fix it. My regular coach hasn't been able to get through to me in 2 years. So - I now have a much better looking swing - more compact and easy - with better results.But I still have a long way to go. I am trying a new pro down here - I'm trying one at Moonah Links on Friday- and I will have a series of lessons and hopefully improve. My old coach never started up where we left off and always seemed to go off on another tack - which left me confused and with way too many swing thoughts - which is not a good thing.

Was the female pro named Penny? She is very good, and has an excellent record and reputation.

Eag's
20th March 2008, 03:40 PM
Slow greens eh? I hope they mow them early tomorrow morning.

PeteyD
20th March 2008, 03:48 PM
I once knew a pro named Penny ... oh Golf Pro!

AndyP
20th March 2008, 04:48 PM
Slow greens eh? I hope they mow them early tomorrow morning.Well they won't be mowing them now, it's pouring rain here.

Rusty was told they were renovated a few weeks ago. They've come back pretty well, just a little long, but I guess it is a midweek game.

Flowergirl
20th March 2008, 04:50 PM
Was the female pro named Penny? She is very good, and has an excellent record and reputation.

Yes it was Penny!!! She is very good. Her communication skills and passion for teaching was obvious. I watched her teaching her junior squad. They were amazing!! She was very generous with her time also. I just wish that she was not so far away from the Peninsula.

mikezone13
20th March 2008, 07:02 PM
Played St Michaels with Virgal Tracy, jimandr and virge666... 31pts for me, stats not done yet but will highlight them later :)

jimandr
20th March 2008, 09:31 PM
St Michaels today with MikeZone, Virgil and Virge.

I can't bring myself to do full stats for my 21 points. it would be too embarassing. One of the worst rounds of golf I have ever played.

One stat: 10 penalty shots.

Jono
20th March 2008, 09:50 PM
St Michaels today with MikeZone, Virgil and Virge.

I can't bring myself to do full stats for my 21 points. it would be too embarassing. One of the worst rounds of golf I have ever played.

One stat: 10 penalty shots.

Don't tell me you hadn't played St Mick's before either ... ;)

goughy
21st March 2008, 08:31 AM
4/5 effective tee-shots.
3/7 effective approaches.

It would have been nice to finish the round to see how it panned out. I continued my good confident run with the driver, and it seemed like the irons were starting to come around.

Not picking on your effectives here but, how many of your effective approaches were on the green? Are you still pushing your irons to the right? I think your irons are holding you back, because your driving and putting are great. But your effective irons always seem to be behind your effective drives. I'd like to see that around the other way - iron stats ahead of driver stats, and you'd see a massive drop I think.

Courty
21st March 2008, 08:39 AM
Not picking on your effectives here but, how many of your effective approaches were on the green? Are you still pushing your irons to the right? I think your irons are holding you back, because your driving and putting are great. But your effective irons always seem to be behind your effective drives. I'd like to see that around the other way - iron stats ahead of driver stats, and you'd see a massive drop I think.

Comments from the Supercoach. :p

AndyP
21st March 2008, 11:15 AM
Not picking on your effectives here but, how many of your effective approaches were on the green?All 3. I actually got on the par 5 3rd in 2, and three putted.

Are you still pushing your irons to the right?That's still the standard miss, although they did seem to start coming good yesterday.

I think your irons are holding you backThere's no doubt about it.

But your effective irons always seem to be behind your effective drives. I'd like to see that around the other way - iron stats ahead of driver stats, and you'd see a massive drop I think.
I don't know about swapping them over, but I certainly need to hit more greens. I didn't think I was too far off those average stats that Blakey talks about for my handicap.

The irons will come back to me, just in time for another part of my game to go missing. :) That's golf.
It's how much I am missing greens by that is the most concerning at the moment, and it leaves too much work for the short game.

BrisVegas
21st March 2008, 01:27 PM
first round in ages today that was shank-free and not 0.1 back. started out in the fog at 7am and couldn't see much for 4 holes! Hit ball solidly, although still a bit tentative and leftish with the short irons (shanking will do that to you). Made nothing on the greens, but no 3 putts. Made a couple of good u&d's and a sand save with my now ex-wedges. Gave them a fitting send off anyway.

82 gross for 35 points
10 FIR
7 GIR
32 putts

kev
21st March 2008, 02:45 PM
Thanks for using up some of the good shots in the wedges BV :lol:

BrisVegas
21st March 2008, 02:48 PM
hey, i doubt there's any shanks left in em....:oops:

kev
21st March 2008, 02:56 PM
Played Sunshine Golf Club today. Designed by Craig Parry and still in its infancy.

Fairways were a bit dry and cracked in places, but their recycling plant should be online in a month which will help.

There was a bit of a mix up at the start, with me being told I was joining a group on the first tee, but they were all 4somes there. Had to run back and forward between 1st, pro shop and 10th a couple of times before things were sorted out and I started on the 10th. Not an ideal start!

92 gross / 72 nett
35 points
7/14 fairways
0/1 sand saves
35 putts.

15 points on the first 9 (10 to 18 ) as it took me a while to settle down, and 2 lost balls didn't help. 20 points on the second 9.

There was quite a wind blowing for most of the round (probably a 3 clubber), so that was good practice for Sunday at Moonah. Only used the driver on 6 holes today, with the 3 hybrid coming out for the rest of the tee shots on longer holes. Kept topping it the first 4 times I used it, and then got it right.

$37 for 18 on a public holiday was very good value.

Just played around with some photostitching...

Image below was taken standing up on the club house veranday overlooking the 10th tee and 18th green

http://www.theyearingolf.com/golfcourses/Sunshine%20Golf%20Club%20overlooking%20the%20cours e%20thumb.jpg (http://www.theyearingolf.com/golfcourses/Sunshine%20Golf%20Club%20overlooking%20the%20cours e%201Meg.jpg)

The thumbnail links to a 1Mb file that is 5530 x 1048 pixels (original was over 8500 pixels wide!)

jimandr
21st March 2008, 07:16 PM
Don't tell me you hadn't played St Mick's before either ... ;)

Not from the blue tees.

Anyway, what a difference a day makes. 21 points yesterday. A different day, a different course (home, at Camden Valley), a different swing, a different handicap (grrr) and 38 points.

I started with a shank out of bounds, and dumped two balls in our only water carry, but every other hole was good.

Fairways = 11 of 14
Greens in reg = 8 of 18
Putts = 31, zero 3putts, 2 birdies
Up&Down = 3 of 5
Sand Saves = 0 of 2
4 penalty shots.

AndyP
22nd March 2008, 08:35 PM
22/03/2008, Headland GC, Sunshine Coast Easter Open Champs Day 1

7/14 effective tee-shots.
5/18 effective approaches.
5/11 up and down successes.
0/3 sand saves.
31 putts.
-----------------
8 pars.
6 bogeys.
4 others.

Score 48-39-87 nett 77 (Par 36-36-72 CCR 73)

Schinzophrenic golf by me today. I couldn't do anything right for most of the front nine, and couldn't build a score off any part of my game.

I triple bogeyed the par 5 7th (I already had two doubles to my name at this stage) and walked to the par 3, 8th tee destroyed. I then pulled my tee-shot into the trees, after having pushing irons right the rest of the time. The ball was found in a small hole in the ground, with less than half the ball exposed ffs. If my round wasn't already gone, I would've considered taking an unplayable, but I played it, gained a few metres in the trees, then managed to get up and down with a great putt.

From that point on, I had 6 consecutive pars, three bogeys, then another par without doing anything too special, just solid golf. It seemed so easy, while the front seemed so ****ing hard. Sigh.

I'd like to think that I can string it together for 18 tomorrow, but golf doesn't work like that.......

mikezone13
23rd March 2008, 01:43 PM
My game sounds very much like what AP had. I parred the last 5 holes for 34pts (13 + 21), but my ball striking was woeful and only some decent putting and chipping kept me in the game.

5/12 Fairways
3/18 GIR (nearly a record low)
8 pars
8 bogies
2 doubles
29 putts!! (yay!)
7/16 U&D's (chipped twice on 2 holes ;) )

Gives me 0.1 back but like AP I wanted to throw the towel in after doubling the 9th, but I hung in there for a 3 over par on the back to gain something fromt he round. Drove the ballr easonably well but just couldn't hit a green for the life of me, 2 of the 3 I did hit I had less than 50m to get to the green.

Jono
23rd March 2008, 03:30 PM
different this, different that ... a different swing ... 38 points.

Please explain. I'm in the process of trying to play out of a slump by changing my swing.

jimandr
23rd March 2008, 08:38 PM
Please explain. I'm in the process of trying to play out of a slump by changing my swing.

I have lots of different options to try when I'm swinging really badly. None of them seem to work long term, but I vary between an upright swing, a flatter swing, more shoulder turn, less turn, grip position, ball position etc. I haven't switched again from a draw to a fade (yet) for a while.

After a disaster at St Micks with a flat swing, big shoulder turn (for me) and the ball back in my stance, I moved the ball position forward and concentrated on keeping my right elbow closer to my body, thus swinging more upright. I don't know the technical terms but it makes sense to me.

It almost worked for a full 18 holes today. I needed two pars for 40 points, but choked big time to finish double, then bogey for 37 points.

Fairways = 11 of 14
Greens in reg = 8 of 18
Putts = 32, one 3putt, two birdies
Up&Down = 2 of 5
Sand Saves = 0 of 3

Flowergirl
23rd March 2008, 08:57 PM
Played with Courty and the Vic Ozgolf boys out at Moonah Links today. The weather was great - bit of wind but nothing to cause any havoc. I decided not to enter the comp due to the fact that I'm undergoing swing changes with my lessons. "I'm not giving away .1" quotes I. And yep - I had 38 points. Serves myself right.:mrgreen:

John had 30 points with 4 wipes - had real trouble with the putter but showed a lot of promise.
I'll let the other boys post their scores.

A great day out.:smt038

AndyP
23rd March 2008, 09:44 PM
23/03/2008, Headland GC, Sunshine Coast Easter Open Champs Day 2

7/14 effective tee-shots. (It didn't feel like it)
2/18 effective approaches. (I've really turned it on, since goughy told me to hit more greens :roll:, and those two "greens" left very long putts)
4/10 up and down successes.
0/3 sand saves. (I didn't get out of one bunker altogether, so I'll write that one off as 0/2)
33 putts. (Putting was better than that, but I slacked off at the end of the round)
-----------------
1 birdie. (Hoorah!)
4 pars.
8 bogeys.
5 others. (Not good enough for a 10 capper)

Score (B9 1st) 41-54+-95+ nett 85+ (Par 36-36-72 CCR 72) [counted unfinished hole as 10+]

Ummm, +0.1. Very ordinary round, in fact, I'm shocked I played to handicap for our first nine. I actually played 2 under handicap for that nine for the two days. Which makes the other nine a ****ing disgrace. A run of double-triple-double is embarrassing, but there's where I'm at with my game. The driving disappeared this weekend, the irons are all over the place (shanks, thins, fats, blocks), and the chips weren't dependable. The only rock for the weekend (especially the last 27 or so holes) was the putting. Once I got the speed, I was rolling them very well. If only the rest of my game would give the putter a chance to improve the score.

Next round: 4/4, Leon's Memorial Ambrose at City. Apologies to my partners for not bringing a 27 handicap with me.

shazza_rs
23rd March 2008, 10:04 PM
Middle Ridge open
----------------
Day 1 88/75 (can't remember stats.... i'll update when i find the sheet)
Day 2 82/69
8/14 Fairways
3/18 GIR (1 x par 5 and 2 x par 3's)
27 putts
9/18 Up and downs (a couple of attempts on 3 holes).

Overall played pretty solidly for the two days. Happy that i was even par Net for the two days. Chipped and putted my butt off today. Missed a lot of greens but not by a lot. My 52* got a big workout today.

Thanks for the day out fellas. Was an enjoyable two days.

goughy
23rd March 2008, 10:49 PM
2/18 effective approaches. (I've really turned it on, since goughy told me to hit more greens :roll:, and those two "greens" left very long putts)

Then my work here is done!

Something I read a year or so ago that I've been wanting to get into my head but honestly just don't play enough to keep it working (and things don't stay in my head for long anyway).

It was a GD article where a guy could predict your approx handicap based on 2 stats, and he was pretty consistant with it. He then showed how improving those 2 stats only would make big improvements in your handicap, and explained his thoughts on it.

They were gir's and total putts. His thoughts for improving gir's was simple. You never play for the flag. You play for the centre of the green and nothing more with your approach shots. Simple as that. That way you're giving yourself more green to hit (by avoiding risky flags) and then his next bit of advice comes into play. Becoming a good lag putter. You're already a great putter.

My prob is with the putting. I can hit 6,7 or 9 gir's a round, even with only 1 fairway. But my putts when I hit a gir average over 2. You have the opposite problem.

Not being picky, but you have the driving, the short game and the putting. Just hit at nothing but the fat of the green and see what happens.

AndyP
23rd March 2008, 11:08 PM
goughy, I don't aim at pins, and haven't for a long time (unless a wedge is in the hand). That's what's worrying. I aim at the fat of the green or the side where the miss is the safest, and can't get anywhere near it. I'm hitting irons 30m or so off target at times.