PDA

View Full Version : Emerald Lakes - membership increase.

markTHEblake
11th March 2008, 11:00 PM
What would you thinking if your golf club did this to you, increased membership fees from $1029 to $1129 - 10%

wasnt so long ago i was paying $500 something plus $5 a round green fee.

Before answering, consider the circumstances of this unique club.

* privately owned. Membership fees are set by the executive who are accountable to the owners not the members. Cant even ask why the fees went up so much. Members dont have any influence on golf matters at all.

* two competitions a week for male members up to 55yo - wed and sat. otherwise no exclusive tee times for members. on Sat we have 150 dedicated comp tee times- i think there is 800 members.

*The staff keep telling us the club is rolling in moola. The driving range is a huge cash cow, and the green fee traffic makes them almost the busiest course in australia. Pokies and sports tab make squillions, the restaurant/bistro is packed every night, and there is at least one wedding a week.

* the Compettion on saturday is organised by a Social club that has been established there for around 25 years. They have their own Committee and is is funded by the comp fees. raffles. sponsors, etc, and pays for all championships, prizes, honour boards, pennant costs, presentation dinners. Not one cent of membership fee goes towards this part of the club that i really 'belong' to. Emerald lakes gives nothing (except the tee times)

* thus our membership fee is just a pre paid block of green fees - at a discount if you play often enough. and night golf still costs us $15

* bar prices are the most expensive i have seen at any golf club on the gold coast. Even at CTH, where members get cheaper prices, the visitor prices are still about 70c cheaper for a beer..

* The advertising for membership says we get access to a great club facility, driving range, restaurant, sports bar, but we pay the same price as all the derros that come from the caravan parks across the road.

* there is no dedicated members area in the clubhouse. honour boards stuck in a corner, some not up at all. The pennant flag we won, has dissappeared. if there is a function booked (almost always) we are relegated to one table and chairs or the derro sports bar betting area.

*$1100 a year would get me membership at Southport, Surfers or Burleigh Heads, members owned clubs, with very little or none green fee golf. Every cent of the membership is returned to the member, and the executive is accountable to the member.

Do you think that this membership here is a great deal, and that such a large increase wouldnt worry you if it was your club?

smells of filthy profiteering to me

cazandpaul
12th March 2008, 05:34 AM
As a member at Burleigh where I can play in a comp every day except Tuesday (and socially any day outside of comp times) for a similar annual sub, and without the 'derro' factor, I think you are being ripped off.

Courty
12th March 2008, 06:10 AM
Blakey, you;re like the Qld version of Grunt & Mac Grange. ;)

poidda
12th March 2008, 06:42 AM

haha.

CTH seems the best deal on the coast to me, and with the Tugan bypass opening in a few months will be a shyte load closer to everything. I think 69er has just joined.

FWIW, it sounds like you're getting ripped off. I suppose that's what you get for being the cheapest resort course on the coast.

Webster
12th March 2008, 06:49 AM
sounds like it is time to move on.

markTHEblake
12th March 2008, 07:04 AM

except that this thread will only last 3 weeks not 3 years.

31 March - i either pay up or move on. After 10 years thats a lot of mates to say goodbye to, except the others that are leaving for the same reason. I hope its a lot of them.

Paul: I'd go to Burleigh in a flash - only think holding me back is that its a pain in the arse to get there from my place.

Andrew
12th March 2008, 07:43 AM
Blakey,

Where are the owners members at ?

BrisVegas
12th March 2008, 09:14 AM
leave the place, it's a dump.

Coolangatta-Tweed has two courses that are both a lot better and it's $300 cheaper p.a.

Oh, and now that g69's a member there too, you two can carpool. :wink:

poidda
12th March 2008, 09:38 AM
I just got in before the books closed. In fact they are now locked....with a FLICKIN big padlock !

Crap. I called yesterday enquiring as I'm thining about it as well. The Country membership isn't a bad deal either if you live 50 plus kms away.

http://www.cooltweedgolf.com.au/cooltweedgolfclub.htm

Rusty
12th March 2008, 10:43 AM
find out where the friends are going and consider all going to the same course.

dc68
12th March 2008, 10:55 AM
Sucked in.

PeteyD
12th March 2008, 11:13 AM
Join Pacific ;)

poidda
12th March 2008, 11:20 AM
Join Pacific ;)

There's enough wankers there already! :)

dc68
12th March 2008, 12:51 PM
Go for Cooly Blake.......

Sasquatch
12th March 2008, 01:30 PM
If I had the $3.8k joining fee & $1.3k annual fee I'd be at Southport Golf Club tomorrow. I drive past it most days & it always looks quiet. I'm at Parkwood & for now it suits my needs.

poidda
12th March 2008, 02:02 PM
Oh..pacific also has a "wheel of Bourbon".

Is that DC rolling home each Friday/Saturday?

dc68
12th March 2008, 02:54 PM
****s

Jarro
12th March 2008, 03:02 PM
Go the Tweed Blakey ... you're getting burned at emmy lakes

Time to make some new mates ... if you can.

PeteyD
12th March 2008, 03:15 PM
What about Surfers?

dc68
12th March 2008, 03:40 PM
Nah Cooly is the shiznitz..... Cheap ,2 tracks to choose from,none of those snobby Surfers types, cheap beer. And the clincher is it would piss Dicky off no end.

goughy
12th March 2008, 05:05 PM
Oh..pacific also has a "wheel of Bourbon".

Is that DC rolling home each Friday/Saturday?

I said wheel of bourbon, not barrel of bourbon.

Wonder where you tap the keg!!! :smt108:mrgreen:

cazandpaul
12th March 2008, 05:34 PM
Surfers Paradise still has the down the track carrot of moving to The Glades - don't know when it will happen, costs of membership or even if membership is still open.

markTHEblake
12th March 2008, 10:35 PM
Car Pool with 69 - your kidding right.

This would be the trip home.

"just stop here for a sec"
"why"
"just putting a bet on"
"hey, pull in over there"
"what now"
"krispy kremes shop"
"whoa turn back"
"what the hell for"
"left my ping wedge on the balcony"
[arrive home]
"Oh no - wheres my thong"

markTHEblake
12th March 2008, 10:43 PM
Blakey, Where are the owners members at ?

Good question.The Owner/main shareholder lives in Japan, apparently in the top tier of the richest blokes going around He traded his local private residence including golf course to the company, which is now the luxury corporate course for the rich and famous. Google "The Villa at Emerald Lakes" $150 for 9 holes on what is essentially a mini par 4 course. longest hole is 280m

In return he gets a palace on the no1 peice of land in the housing estate, as his retirement gift. my guess is he will play at the Villa when he lives here permanantly.

AFAIK the local CEO and other execs don't play golf.

Moe Norman
13th March 2008, 09:09 AM
time to move on Blakey.

Surfers or Southport if you can get in.

markTHEblake
13th March 2008, 09:59 AM
Thommo, what did they tell you is the likely wait time at Surfers (or how many in the queue) and how much of the $2200 nom fee did you have to pay?

(Southport is full too)

Long term advantages at any of the beachside members courses (southport, burleigh, surfers) is always going to be the prospect of redevelopments and lots of $$$ for the club. Look at what Horton Park is getting :shock:

Am considering applying to Surfers and sitting out whatever it takes and just play at one of the cheap joints in the meantime. The Glades is attractive to me because its quite close to where i live. Not a fan of the course, but then again i hardly like any golf course.

Its easy to get excited about CTH, but once the honeymoon wears off, it's just too far.

shavey
13th March 2008, 02:21 PM
Go to Burleigh, great value for money and a nice little track.

Emmy Lakes would easily have to be the busiest course in Australia coming in with around 85000 rounds. As Blakey mentioned, the place is packed nearly every single day and the membership base is unfortunately nothing more than another revenue stream. If they could do without them (members) I'm pretty sure they would.

CTH is probably just that little too far away but for one who used to enjoy the course a few times a month during daylight saving hours, it has it's advantages.

Would probably stay clear of Surfers due to the imminent changeover however by the time a deal is finally reached, 25% of the current member base could be no longer which might make for a fresh start.

Good luck wherever you go... I hope they let you in! :)

poidda
13th March 2008, 02:24 PM
CTH is probably just that little too far away but for one who used to enjoy the course a few times a month during daylight saving hours, it has it's advantages.

The Tugan Bypass will make CTH just close enough. It'd be no more than a 1/2 hour from Helensvale. (not sure where you're coming from, but has to be closer)

Moe Norman
13th March 2008, 08:56 PM
Thommo, what did they tell you is the likely wait time at Surfers (or how many in the queue) and how much of the $2200 nom fee did you have to pay?

I'm not sure what you mean? I've never wanted to join surfers?

However, as far as I know - the wait is 2+ years unless you have the correct nominations and seconders, then you will go in during the next intake which i believe is the new membership year (Sept?)

How about GCCC? ;)

markTHEblake
13th March 2008, 09:17 PM
Sorry i thought you said that you lodged an application (waiting list) at Surfers just in case they moved to the Glades, and if they didnt you would pull out.

Thanks for the info, nominations not a problem at Surfers. I just gotta sell the rest of those ProV's fast now to pay for it

markTHEblake
1st May 2008, 10:16 PM
The deal is done. After thinking long and hard the 10 year association with my Golf Course has ended. It was a tough decision, its the first time I have ever resigned a membership for reasons other than leaving town.

I'd seriously considered CTH, Helensvale, Gold Coast CC, and believe it or not, Gatton and Toowoomba, because I am gunna be spending a lot of time out that way from now on.

I have nominated for the waiting list at Surfers Paradise, and thats regardless whether the move goes through or not. Have always gotten on well with their pennant players (too well in fact) and i see a lot of value in being part a club that is sitting on a gold mine of a site. In fact I hope I get in before the big move, cos after it, with $20-30M in the bank, the Noms are going to be quite high.

In the meantime today I joined Helensvale Golf Club (http://www.helensvalegolf.com.au/), a quaint par 70, with a handful of demon holes. They cashed up a bit by selling some land, and renovated the clubhouse, and worked on a few holes. Its looking good out there, and I was impressed with the welcome I got today.

Sasquatch
2nd May 2008, 05:07 AM
Good move. I joined very briefly & let it slide. Went back last weekend & enjoyed the change.

Rusty
2nd May 2008, 07:55 AM
the water on 1 & 18 look like they'd make for interesting holes.

BrisVegas
2nd May 2008, 08:06 AM
My work has it's Lieukemia Charity Day at Helensvale each year. I played it in 07 and really enjoyed it. Lots of interesting holes. I particularly enjoyed the par 5 (1st? it was a shotgun start)with two water carries.

markTHEblake
2nd May 2008, 08:50 AM
The 18th frightens the clappers out of me, i would hate to be standing on that tee 2 under. its a left to right cross wind every time I have played it.

The arkitecha blokes would have a field day with the 1st :-) There is a handful of trees in the way that make it almost impossible to go for the green in two, and you have to lay up long say 130ish. However this is the setting for one of my greatest golf moments :-)

It was my 19th hole after being dormie 3 up :-( , took on that tree and water with a 7 iron and made the bunker, got my birdie, won the match, against the best player on the gold coast (now) and it got my team into the final.

Though I think they may have removed on of the trees to give an option if you are in the right spot.

The 7th, 9th are very strong golf holes, and the par 5 4th(?) is short also but very challenging for me.

Despite being a shorter course, it requires more shotmaking than Emerald Lakes. Even though GCCC is a much better track, there is no golf club there and that was the clincher.

BrisVegas
2nd May 2008, 10:20 AM
The arkitecha blokes would have a field day with the 1st :-) There is a handful of trees in the way that make it almost impossible to go for the green in two, and you have to lay up long say 130ish.

Interesting that you advised me to "go for it in two" when I talked to you about it last year. :roll: FWIW, I hit 3 wood + 3 wood and just carried onto the green in two. The layup spot didn't look too attractive.

markTHEblake
2nd May 2008, 10:34 AM
Interesting that you advised me to "go for it in two" when I talked to you about it last year. :roll: .

I was baiting you to go for something that was way much harder than it looked :razz:

If you hit 3 wood i am guessing the bigger trees were already removed, or you were just far enough back to get over them. Either way to hit 3 wood into that green is the stuff of legend.

Rusty
2nd May 2008, 10:55 AM
FWIW, I hit 3 wood + 3 wood and just carried onto the green in two.

493m... not bad, not bad at all, you monster.

markTHEblake
3rd May 2008, 12:01 AM
its only 425m for 2 shots.

the 493 is measured the long way around.

goughy
3rd May 2008, 03:33 PM
493m... not bad, not bad at all, you monster.

its only 425m for 2 shots.

the 493 is measured the long way around.

Ya pussy vegas!!! ;)

BrisVegas
3rd May 2008, 03:43 PM
Ya pussy vegas!!! ;)

Goughy, it's not how far, it's how many. ;)