PDA

View Full Version : Week commencing 10th March 2008

kev
11th March 2008, 06:43 PM
Something must be wrong in the land of Oz if I'm starting this...

Played Werribee Park Golf Club today. Fairways were in fairly good nick, the greens soft and receptive :) I've never had so many balls actually stick to the green before!

84 gross / 63 nett :shock:
46 points.
7 / 14 fairways
1 / 2 sand saves
30 putts (1 x 3 putt, 9 x 2 putts and 8 x 1 putts)

Concentrated on my tempo on the front 9, and it certainly paid dividends (40 off the stick, 24 points). Approaches into the green were good, and I missed a couple of birdie putts by cm's. 7m putt for birdie on the par 5 4th was the highlight.

On the back 9 I decided to try and increase my swing speed (read: belt the cover off the ball). Lost 3 balls :(. Highlight was a 6m putt from off the green for par on the par 5 16th.

Quite a nice course, with some nice views when you're on the holes on top of the rampart. It's just behind Werribee Open Range Zoo, and there were a few Canadian geese eating up one of the greens.

Flowergirl
11th March 2008, 08:22 PM
Way to go Kev!!! What a great round.:smt038

kev
11th March 2008, 10:49 PM
Thanks FG.

Actually, I bet you're just happy for me as my handicap comes down to something nearer yours... ;)

v205
12th March 2008, 12:07 AM
Great round Kev. Keep the 70-80% swing through the whole round next time and break 80! :)

My last 2 rounds (Cheltenham and Centenery Park) have been in the 90s.

leighthebee
13th March 2008, 08:57 PM
Nice work Kev.

Had my first 9 holes this year (apart from a social whack at Royal Pines)

Shot 47. Hit 1 fairway and 1 green (not on the same hole) and booked in for a lesson straight after missing a putt for birdie on the 9th (at least giving me 1 par for the 9)

Things can only get better. :-)

BrisVegas
13th March 2008, 09:51 PM
welcome back leighthebee! was wondering where you'd been.

Flowergirl
14th March 2008, 06:38 AM
Seceond week of pennant yesterday. We played in great conditions at Flinders Golf Course. It was 39 degrees in Melbourne but luckily the sea breezes made the conditions perfect for golf. It's a beautiful course right on the ocean - stunning views.
My opponent and I were perfectly matched - she just made less mistakes - I overclubbed on a par 3 which led to bogey - she was on the green for par. 2 holes later I completely miss hit a shot of the middle of the fairway sideways into a fairway bunker - shocking lie - stuffed it up. Now that's just the pressure getting to me - and the same thing happened at the crucial point of the match last week. Something that I really have to work on.
I lost 2/1:neutral:
But the team won 3 up - so that's the good news.:mrgreen:

Going up to Thurgoona on the Murray this morning for four days with the girls. Is going to be stinking hot - so looks like more time will be spent around the pool than on the course.

Toolish
14th March 2008, 07:25 AM
Always enjoyed playing Flinders....that course really gives you a chance to get off to a flyer, but then have to hold on. The Coffin is a great hole.

Have fun on the Murray...is bloody hot up here!

leighthebee
14th March 2008, 12:26 PM
welcome back leighthebee! was wondering where you'd been.

basically been working with a bit more work thrown in. every other weekend has been down the coast surf-lifesaving.

good to have a break sometimes. yesterday was all pull-hooks overcorrected to push-cuts and you still couldn't wipe the smile off my face. ;)

anyway, i'm posting here for posterity as I can then track my improvement over time.

hope to see some of you on course soon as I'm not playing official comp until I'm happy I'm prepared. i'd be off on the Barny trip, but just got back from Japan snowboarding and the better half would divorce me.

any ladies heading to Barny?

Stoney
14th March 2008, 01:09 PM
Snuck out for a quick round in the Friday Comp at Wynnum this morning.

72 Gross 69 Nett
10 Greens
7 Fairways
5 Boggies 3 Birdies
30 Putts

Showed some signs of form but could not close the deal with the short game.

Grunt
14th March 2008, 01:17 PM
Played at Beverly Park yesterday

Very inconsistent round but that is my golf game as a whole. Putting was just that little bit off all day. Putting under 10 feet was pretty good, just that those putts were par saves and the like. Wipe on 1st hole really got me. Driver was very erratic, good shot, bad shot sort of day. Going to break this stuck at 17 thing soon. Swing is definitely getting better:)

34 points 14/20
4 Pars
1 Birdie
7 Bogies
5 Doubles
1 Triple
35 putts - 2x 3 putts :mad:
6 fairways
4 GIR
2/10 Up & Downs
0/2 Sand saves

Courty
15th March 2008, 02:41 PM
Rained out this weekend. :cry:

Bruce
15th March 2008, 09:06 PM
A disgraceful 28 points around Brighton this morning.

No accuracy of any kind with any club. Hadn't played for a month and it showed.
There were glimpses of form like a 9I to 20cm for a bird but there were just too many errors be recovered from. Better pick up my game or next week could be a loooong day.

shazza_rs
15th March 2008, 09:24 PM
Nudgee South - 15/3/08 - Four Balll Stableford
---------------------------------------------
Had 38+ points today (didn't hole out on one hole but had a putt for 6/2)
8/13 Fairways
8/18 GIR :shock:
32 Putts (one hole not putted out)
4/7 U/D
0/2 Sand

Played with an older lady with a handicap of 38 today..... she was very useful on the par 3's where i got no shot and she had 2. 8-)

We combined for 44 points and came runner up.

Played pretty well today, didn't get in too much trouble. My driver misses were left today (combination of alignment and a big pull :roll:)

oz
16th March 2008, 07:30 AM
+1 in a par event at Albury Commercial yesterday. Stupid bogey on 18 annoyed me, but the round was steady. New grip and swing changes are starting to feel less awkward. Greens were a bit slow (dusted on Monday), and I left plenty of putts short in the heart. I hate that.

mikezone13
16th March 2008, 10:58 AM
35pts yesterday, again some really good with some dodgy thrown in. Putting was fine from outside 10 feet but 3 missed putts from 3-4 feet really hurt.

Positively I believe I have got a lot of confidence back from 50m and in as I was chipping and pitching like never before (amazing what some reading up on fundamentals and impact position practice will do).

5/12 fairways
7/18 GIRs (missed the last 4 - ouch)
34 putts (3x3 putts)
3/10 U&D
1 bird
9 pars
4 bogies
4 doubles (2 on par threes, both chip and 3 putts)

Next game St Michael's against Virgal_Tracy this Thursday.

AndyP
16th March 2008, 03:30 PM
16/03/2008, Nudgee GC South, Stableford.

7/13 effective tee-shots.
6/18 effective approaches.
4/8 up and down successes.
33 putts.
-------------
1 birdie.
6 pars.
9 bogeys.
2 others.

Score 41-41-82 stab 17-17-34 (Par 35-35-70 ACR 68)

It's the first time I have played in over a month, and I expected worse. My short game was pretty good, the driver went well, and the ball striking seemed slightly better than normal.

I just played one really dumb hole and messed up a few putts here and there to push the score out. Overall it was rather encouraging though.

Next round: 22-23/3, Sunshine Coast Easter Open Championships, Headland GC. Looking forward to being torn a new one again.

Courty
16th March 2008, 05:32 PM
Just got home from a last-minute social round at Paradise Palms. Shouldn't have bothered going as the course was a quagmire. It was preferred lies and nearly every shot required relief from casual water. Still, Cairns GC would have been worse. I haven't bothered with stats, but I reckon I had about 90 off the stick with 2 birdies.

damoocow
16th March 2008, 06:56 PM
Will have to start keeping some stats..............played stableford yesterday - inconsistency should be my middle name, had 24 points on the front 9 [ plus an NTP to 31cm] and limped home with a pathetic 13 points - will get a ball in the rundown and get another 9 for the NTP so not a total loss - but the scoring almost mirrors last week where my stroke score varied by 11 shots from 9 to 9...............winner had 48 points !

PeteyD
16th March 2008, 07:03 PM
36 Points around Reddy Bay today. Blew it coming home again with triples on 16 and 18. 8 Fairways and 2 Greens. 31 putts. 94/72 Off the bat. No 3 putts!!

jimandr
16th March 2008, 09:22 PM
A different sort of rubbish to the usual rubbish today for 32 points. I found a magic ingredient after 7 holes and started to hit the ball really well. A triple bogey on a hole I never usually have trouble with killed a decent score, but I'm happier than I've been for a while.

Fairways = 10 of 14, but one of the misses went o/b
Greens in reg = 8 of 18
Putts = 35, one 3putt, 1 birdie
Up&Down = 1 of 6
Sand Saves = 0 of 3
2 penalty shots

Toolish
18th March 2008, 06:58 AM
Played on Sunday, just getting around to entering it here though. Was a bit of a different round for me, very consistent.

Started on the 10th, went Birdie, Par, Double, Bogey, Bogey to be 3 over through 5. Parred the next 3 then bogeyed 18 to be 4 over at the turn. I then parred every hole on the front 9 to finish with 4 over. Hit the ball ok, putted really well, but putting stats probably look better because a lot of irons just missed the green.

Score : 76 (nett 71 with CCR of 71)
FW : 11/14
GIR : 8
Putts : 28
3 Putts : 1
Putts/GIR : 1.875
U/D : 5/9
S/S : 2/3

chappy1970
18th March 2008, 11:59 AM
Had 36 points on Saturday in some pretty hot weather. I teed off at 11.49am and by the 15th had run out of petrol.

36 points
34 putts
5/14 FW's
7/18 GIR

Have found a small chink in my addresses, made a slight adjustment and all iron shots were going dead straight. Just a little inconsistent on the short staff and missed too many fairways.

Maybe next week

leighthebee
18th March 2008, 07:04 PM
Played my second 9 holes for this year and smashed a 49. Had to par the 8th and 9th to break 50!

Man these new swing changes are killing me