PDA

View Full Version : Righto, let's find a driver !!!

3oneday
10th March 2008, 02:55 PM
OK, the never ending search is on... what is the best driver you have ever used and wet yourself over everytime you see one ? ;)

PeteyD
10th March 2008, 03:00 PM
Wilson Killer Whale ;)

3oneday
10th March 2008, 03:06 PM
Wilson Killer Whale ;);)

PeteyD
10th March 2008, 03:10 PM
Hehe. Interestingly, what drivers are there that you have not tried?

3oneday
10th March 2008, 03:14 PM
Hehe. Interestingly, what drivers are there that you have not tried?ummmm.....

Wilson Killer Whale ?
Brosnan
Any Australian made brand

probably a few more ;)

andylo
10th March 2008, 03:18 PM
Keep thinking about the 460 COMP.

The Tour SUMO I got is definitly the straightest driver I ever got. But the 460 COMP have 80% of its straight-ness, with much more distance.

I still looking for one with correct combo.

3oneday
10th March 2008, 03:22 PM
Keep thinking about the 460 COMP. cleve comp ?

Jono
10th March 2008, 03:22 PM
You know what I'm going to say, but I'll say it anyway.

8) 8) 8) AURORA! 8) 8) 8)

You can get the head for US $150. I'll foam it for you. Stick your favourite shaft in, and voila. The best driver you've ever hit. One of lowest spinning heads around and it looks great at address too.

The only downside is that it's not the most forgiving driver in the world, but I've found that when I'm not swinging well, it doesn't matter if it has a MOI of 10 trillion ... it'll still go crooked. :roll:

andylo
10th March 2008, 03:27 PM
cleve comp ?

Yes.

glen
10th March 2008, 03:28 PM
R7 425TP, Best feeling driver I have had since 510TP. I haven't had much luck with any of the 460cc drivers so i'm sticking with this.

3oneday
10th March 2008, 03:30 PM
AURORA!stop shouting that crap around here :p

:lol:

jaybam
10th March 2008, 03:33 PM
Which ever bloody one works . And if any of you know which one that is let me know as im yet to find it. In saying that though i am quite fond of my current driver which is a king cobra hs9. Nice to hit :)

Jarro
10th March 2008, 03:40 PM
510TP with a tipped NV75stiff 8)

This Cleveland Launcher Comp i have now is a pretty sexy beast though ;)

BrisVegas
10th March 2008, 03:40 PM
905s.

prmeier
10th March 2008, 03:44 PM
R7 425TP, Best feeling driver I have had since 510TP. I haven't had much luck with any of the 460cc drivers so i'm sticking with this.

Second that. The 425TP is long and workable. Took me a long time to find a replacement for the 510TP. Looking for a Diamana Whiteboard to replace the NV75S and the package will be complete.

Jarro
10th March 2008, 03:45 PM
Second that. The 425TP is long and workable. Took me a long time to find a replacement for the 510TP. Looking for a Diamana Whiteboard to replace the NV75S and the package will be complete.

Ho :razz:

3oneday
10th March 2008, 03:46 PM
Which ever bloody one works . And if any of you know which one that is let me know as im yet to find it. that's the purpose of the exercise, everyone gets a looksee and some good ideas (hopefully) 8)

kpac
10th March 2008, 03:50 PM
believe it or not i pulled out my old 580XD the other day and i find it soo sweet to hit. I won't be changing from the Exotics anytime soon - find it easy to put a nice little draw on it and by far the most forgiving that i'd tried so far. Does not have the distance of the 510tp <- that is one mean stick, but i could spray that pretty good!

3oneday
10th March 2008, 04:00 PM
Anyone else apart from Jack hit the MX-500 ?

BrisVegas
10th March 2008, 04:01 PM
yeah agave had an mx500. he seemed to like it.... at the time!

glen
10th March 2008, 04:43 PM
Mine still has factory 65gram rombax. Would be sweet with a whiteboard. I like that I dont seem to miss it left very often and as you said it's workable.

Stoney
10th March 2008, 04:43 PM
905s.

Is that a 905s 8.5 with a Grafaloy Blue ?

Good driver that ;)

Courty
10th March 2008, 05:40 PM
Superquad TP with a Diamana Blueboard.

My old 510TP was an awesome club. Best feeling and longest out of the middle. However the Superquad is more forgiving, straighter and longer on average.

Toolish
10th March 2008, 06:11 PM
Is that a 905s 8.5 with a Grafaloy Blue ?

Good driver that ;)

Nah..9.5 with a V2 stiff...very good driver then!

virge666
10th March 2008, 06:17 PM
I am really lost why people get worked up over drivers . . . I just don't get it.

Any current driver has a highest COR rating around. That would be .830.
So with all things being equal - how can one driver be "longer" than another ?

Easy answer - it has a longer shaft !

So all you have to find is the nice "middle-ground" between length and accuracy.

So - go grab a decent head - like a G5 for $100 or so, and start with a 45", if you hit it long but cannot find the golf ball, then the shaft is too long. SO you cut it down by half an inch till you find a nice compromise.

More loft = Straighter
Less loft = more sidespin

The longer the shaft = the faster the clubhead speed . . . BUT, if you miss the center of a current driver by 1/2 an inch - you will lost about 10&#37; of your distance.
The shorter the shaft = the easier it is to hit the center

The lighter the shaft = the faster you can swing it
The heavier the shaft = the less spin you put on the ball.

It ain't a matter of find the right driver - it is a matter of finding the right balance. The you can hit pretty much any head you like as long as it launches correctly.

And to lauch at optimum - you want about a 13 degree launch, so start at 10.5 degrees and try and hit it as high as your 6 iron.

But above all - stop screwing around wasting your cash on more and more drivers . . . it is a total waste of time and effort. Anything in the last 4 years will do, say around Ping G2 era onwards.

BTW - Thanks for the Sumo - it is outstanding.

Here is your second idea - go and buy a 13 or 14 degree driver, cut it down to 43 inches and add some weight to the head or get a heavier shaft. Replace your 3 wood with it. Compare teh distance you hit the new "3-wood" to your old driver.

I did this as I haven't had to hit 3 wood off the deck for years... Awesome club on the tight par 4's...

glen
10th March 2008, 06:31 PM
So any head will do? What about all the heel biased weighted clubs out there now, not much use to a drawer of the ball. What about different heads that produce different spin rates? ie 905S verses 905R, you think they will perform the same to a high spin player? I think you have missed the point of 3oneday's post.

Webster
10th March 2008, 07:04 PM
Anyone else apart from Jack hit the MX-500 ?

The MX500 is still in my bag, and is by far the best titanium head driver I have ever hit. I reckon it might have something to do with the shaft though, its a Harrison Mugen S flex that feels pretty darn sweet..

Of course the old gear was way, way better to play with, and at the top of the tree was the Cleveland Classic Persimmon head in 10*, fitted with an S300 cut to 43 inches, a bit like this one:

http://clubsofdistinction.com/codimages3/ta5881ws.jpg
http://clubsofdistinction.com/codimages3/ta5881wfa.jpg

markTHEblake
10th March 2008, 07:11 PM
I think you have missed the point of 3oneday's post.

The point is when someone buys a new driver, is because they want to hit it further.

When was the last time you heard someone say " i got this new driver, it goes shorter and i love it"?

Virge hits the nail on the head. Most drivers go the same distance, the difference in the heads determine how far and straight an off centre hit will go, with wildly differing results according to the golfers technique.

Oh, and for mine - it was Prosimmon Hotshot 10.5 deg (prob a 100cc head) with regular steel shaft that i borrowed from a mate for one round. I hit three personal best drives that day that i never got close too in another 6 years of playing that course - all 300m+. Should never have given it back.

glen
10th March 2008, 07:24 PM
Original post was "best driver you have ever used", not longest. The longest driver I have hit had a 48" shaft but I couldn't keep it on the golf course, therefore not the best. True a COR of .83 will give the same ball speeds for the same clubhead speed if both were hit on the max COR spot, but as spin and launch angle play a huge part in what is the best driver for each person than a different head has to suit different people. I have been through the Titleist science vans fitting program and had it proven to me, the same shaft in different heads gave widely varying results in spin, distance and accuracy.

virge666
10th March 2008, 07:24 PM
So any head will do? What about all the heel biased weighted clubs out there now, not much use to a drawer of the ball. What about different heads that produce different spin rates? ie 905S verses 905R, you think they will perform the same to a high spin player? I think you have missed the point of 3oneday's post.

No I haven't missed the point at all...

You are a decent golfer and you know that you can pick up pretty much any driver out there and within 2 or 3 swings get it going where you want to. I would expect you have found a driver that suits your swing and you don't go searching for something that isn't there. You also probably have your hands ahead of the ball at impact so the "feel" of the club is going to be a lot better as the shaft is working properly.

In my experience, people who go searching for drivers cannot understand the simplicities vs the marketing. Let's take your two examples... head weighting and spin rates.

Head weighting - still nothing really proven in a retail club, Wishon says you have to move 35grams to get any effect, and few others say you need more. With a TM R7 - you can move about 20grams. If you want draw bias, by a club that is one or two degrees closed, and a four year old can see when a club head is closed. Titliest usually make squarer clubs - TM usually make closed clubs - especially in Fairways and Rescue's.

Spin Rates - this is an easy one - use the shaft and loft to control your swing weights. Not enough spin - go for a lighter shaft or more loft, too much spin - heavier shaft or less loft.

The other MAJOR, MAJOR, HUGE factor is that what it says on the club RARELY is what the club actually is. I can show you easily 30 shafts that say one weight and be another - or say Stiff and a X or Reg. I can show you heads that say 9.5 degree and they are 10.3, or 13 degree fairway woods that are 17 degrees. How about an 93 gram X flex fujikura that is really 75grams and stiff. And this was from the Tour Van.

The other option is to BUY the DEMO, if you go to a range demo day and you find a top driver - buy it !, not that model, THAT club.

So, while the fine tuning is a wonderful thing - and something that CAN be done - it should be done by going to a professional club fitter and getting him to do that job. Not by buying 15 drivers a year, hoping that the next one will be "The One".

Go and find a head you like the look of - that sounds OK at impact and then go and FIND the right loft, length flex, and weight. then be done with it. Go and spen your money with a good teacher and get the handicap down.

Enjoy

markTHEblake
10th March 2008, 07:34 PM
Original post was "best driver you have ever used", not longest.

Most golfers associate best drivers with longest, and thats what they want when they look for another one

glen
10th March 2008, 07:37 PM
Virge, I agree on all your points except the way to control spin. The club head plays a huge part in the amount of spin on the ball. Agreed heavier shafts and less loft will reduce spin but will also change the swingweight of the club and the launch angle. I will admit to changing drivers too often and usually that has resulted in poorer driving. As you say get a good teacher and spend your money with him: That is exactly what I have done and he is the one who told me to get a 905S or 425TP as these heads will reduce spin rates and stop the balloning ball flight, this is from a guy who coaches a USPGA and Nationwide tour player, obviously an opinion I respect.

virge666
10th March 2008, 07:57 PM
Virge, I agree on all your points except the way to control spin. The club head plays a huge part in the amount of spin on the ball. Agreed heavier shafts and less loft will reduce spin but will also change the swingweight of the club and the launch angle. I will admit to changing drivers too often and usually that has resulted in poorer driving. As you say get a good teacher and spend your money with him: That is exactly what I have done and he is the one who told me to get a 905S or 425TP as these heads will reduce spin rates and stop the balloning ball flight, this is from a guy who coaches a USPGA and Nationwide tour player, obviously an opinion I respect.

Cheers,

The clubhead is the most important way to control spin, but it depends on what level you are at.

Low markers should worry about spin rates - but if you are off double figures - loft is way more important. And most double figure makers are at least 2 degrees to low.

I won my club champs with a 13.5 degree driver. It was a Precept Fuel driver that I bought for $30 on eBay. I stuck an 85gram X flex shaft in it and I think I hit every fairway except 2 over the last 2 days of matchplay. It was about 20m shorter, so I hit 8 iron instead of pitching wedge. Still hard to bogey a hole with 8 iron in your hand. I still have it and use it as a 3 wood.

I reckon golf at my level is about making less mistakes - not about making birdies. Especially on my course which if I hit my driver on every par 4 - I would have 9i or less into the hole (125m)

Enjoy

3oneday
10th March 2008, 07:59 PM
Ok you 3, shorter posts and longer drives ? :lol:

The reason for the post was to see what people are using, I have a boredom issue and like to try different stuff. The thing that I see is that none of the newest stuff is getting mentioned.

The SUMO was/is one of the best drivers I have used but I wanted to try a more conventional looking one... now I'm thinking XLS non tour, that's not so conventional.... :)

More drivers, less long winded stuff please :)

jaybam
10th March 2008, 08:02 PM
Lol i agree. I go through a few drivers (not as many as you lot) but still enjoy putting a new toy in the bag. Love trying different gear and also like to change the look in my bag. Plus the new headcovers always look better than the old ones hehehehehe.

virge666
10th March 2008, 08:10 PM
More drivers, less long winded stuff please :)

Can't do it - not in my nature.

The Longest driver recipe.

You will need a swing speed of about 100mph to get this working. Works for people who flip the club too. Especially "flip - drawers".

OK, grab a Ping G5 8.5 degree. Grab a 45-55gram shaft - X flex or Stiff at the very least.

Now, shave about 1/2 an inch off the hosel of the G5, the bore is quite deep, use an angle grinder or just a and hacksaw. Once you have done this - you MUST clean up the cut and smooth it out, otherwise any sharp edges will cut through the shaft. This is done to lighten the head.

Attach the shaft to the head and trim it to 47 inches.

OK - now grab some lead tape and place 2 rings around the shaft at the bottom of the grip, and place 3 rings around the shaft at the top of teh grip. Put the required number of wraps on the grip and put your grip on.

Depending on grip and wraps - should be about D2-D3.

Longest driver I ever made . . . not just in swing speed - but in ball speed and that is where the magic is.

Enjoy

andylo
10th March 2008, 08:28 PM
Can't do it - not in my nature.

The Longest driver recipe.

You will need a swing speed of about 100mph to get this working. Works for people who flip the club too. Especially "flip - drawers".

OK, grab a Ping G5 8.5 degree. Grab a 45-55gram shaft - X flex or Stiff at the very least.

Now, shave about 1/2 an inch off the hosel of the G5, the bore is quite deep, use an angle grinder or just a and hacksaw. Once you have done this - you MUST clean up the cut and smooth it out, otherwise any sharp edges will cut through the shaft. This is done to lighten the head.

Attach the shaft to the head and trim it to 47 inches.

OK - now grab some lead tape and place 2 rings around the shaft at the bottom of the grip, and place 3 rings around the shaft at the top of teh grip. Put the required number of wraps on the grip and put your grip on.

Depending on grip and wraps - should be about D2-D3.

Longest driver I ever made . . . not just in swing speed - but in ball speed and that is where the magic is.

Enjoy

Still has it? wanna sell it? :mrgreen:

3oneday
10th March 2008, 08:39 PM
grab a Ping G5 8.5 degree.so now you're telling me a Chinese copy is the best driver you've ever used ?

;)

markTHEblake
10th March 2008, 08:46 PM
Works for people who flip the club too. Especially "flip - drawers".

Pick me, pick me, pick me !

Courty
10th March 2008, 08:51 PM
In my experience, people who go searching for drivers cannot understand the simplicities vs the marketing.

Oh, I'm sure they understand. But the majority of golfers on this forum get off on buying shiny new gear clubs. :lol:

just
10th March 2008, 08:53 PM
mmmm, shiney!

TheNuclearOne
10th March 2008, 09:00 PM
so now you're telling me a Chinese copy is the best driver you've ever used ?

;)

:lol:

Could he have meant a G2???

:mrgreen:

mikezone13
10th March 2008, 09:16 PM
HiBore XL with V2 ProForce MOI S Flex... very sweet and not moving from my bag any time soon.

I am keen to try the HiBore XLS but am not expecting any difference really.

PeteyD
10th March 2008, 09:26 PM
shiny, new shiny new ...

markTHEblake
10th March 2008, 09:30 PM
rusty, dinged scuffed KZG Gemini, marvellous. Like the missus, gets better with age.

Fishman Dan
10th March 2008, 09:40 PM
R510 TP. 18 drives past Golfer69 can't be wrong!

Tried a Callaway X460?

virge666
11th March 2008, 12:33 AM
so now you're telling me a Chinese copy is the best driver you've ever used ?

;)

Nope - I am a Nike kind of guy now. Gives me the right kind of numbers.

But I have NEVER hit anything longer than that Ping - I sold it to 55 year old low marker that played at The Lakes. Has had it in his bag for about 18 months.

As I said - just find a head and experiment with the head... pull out shafts are very cheap.

:)

goughy
11th March 2008, 09:00 AM
I have a G2 with vista tour shaft. It's the best driver IN THE WORLD!!!!!!

Unfortunately I am the worst at using it ;)

3oneday
24th March 2008, 12:28 PM
Nike Sq (2006 model) stock Nike Diamana shaft 8)

Eag's
24th March 2008, 01:53 PM
Nike Sq (2006 model) stock Nike Diamana shaft 8)

Fugly :smt078

OpusX
26th March 2008, 02:20 AM
How bout Callaway FT-3 9.5 deg Tour with Aldila NV. I think its a great driver.

goughy
26th March 2008, 07:54 AM
How bout Callaway FT-3 9.5 deg Tour with Aldila NV. I think its a great driver.

He's probably had 5 or 10 of these so far! He's a picky bugger...

3oneday
26th March 2008, 07:59 AM
Lot's of great drivers out there, I have found one that I like the look and sound of.

They are all pretty much the same performance wise, but I'm using a 2 year old driver as good if not better than any of the more recent models !

Jarro
26th March 2008, 09:07 AM
Lot's of great drivers out there, I have found one that I like the look and sound of.

They are all pretty much the same performance wise, but I'm using a 2 year old driver as good if not better than any of the more recent models !

And hasn't that been the problem for you all along ? Trying to make a current model work instead of using the tried and true performer .... albeit a 3/4 year old model ;)

BrisVegas
26th March 2008, 09:09 AM
what about an 8.5deg 907D2 with V2 Stiff? You can have mine cheap.

3oneday
26th March 2008, 10:08 AM
I actually bought a Nike SQ off Ts for $100 about 3 weeks ago. Stock Nike Diamana.

I liked the look of the thing when I had it a couple of years ago, the current SUMO sounds harsh to me. This thing sounds as good as the titty and performs perfectly.

For a ho, my bag is a disgrace but.... it works. I dunno whether to be glad or sad :lol:

Jarro
26th March 2008, 10:12 AM
I actually bought a Nike SQ off Ts for $100 about 3 weeks ago. Stock Nike Diamana.

Dibs ..

... after perci ;)

3oneday
26th March 2008, 10:14 AM
tk

Jarro
26th March 2008, 10:17 AM
Ho

moree golfer
26th March 2008, 11:12 AM
Superquad TP with a Diamana Blueboard.

My old 510TP was an awesome club. Best feeling and longest out of the middle. However the Superquad is more forgiving, straighter and longer on average.
I dropped into a Drummond Golf store before Easter and gave the Superquad a go on the launch monitor along with my 510TP as a comparison and the numbers shocked me into the realisation that I am getting 4000rpm plus spin with the 510 and 2400rpm with a Superquad. I am now on the lookout for a preloved SQ in 9.5 loft!

AndyP
26th March 2008, 12:48 PM
Exactly the same shaft?

moree golfer
26th March 2008, 02:41 PM
Exactly the same shaft?
No the 510 has a 757 in it and the SQ had the stock REAX 65, both are stiff although I am aware that stiff may differ between makers of shafts.

Do you think I should seek a shaft that lowers the spin, not change the head?

3oneday
26th March 2008, 03:17 PM
757 should spin lower than a stock REAX ?

BJL82
27th March 2008, 09:36 PM
Cleveland Hi-Bore XLS 9.5* Standard stiff red shaft :D

Courty
29th March 2008, 01:05 AM
I dropped into a Drummond Golf store before Easter and gave the Superquad a go on the launch monitor along with my 510TP as a comparison and the numbers shocked me into the realisation that I am getting 4000rpm plus spin with the 510 and 2400rpm with a Superquad. I am now on the lookout for a preloved SQ in 9.5 loft!

Mine's not for sale. 8-)