PDA

View Full Version : Week commencing 3rd March 2008

Flowergirl
3rd March 2008, 04:45 PM
Played today in a Salver Event at The National. We played the Ocean Course. The conditions were pretty good - a bit of wind but it wasn;t a huge factor.
There was over 50 women who played - all of whom had played pennant the year before and the winning score was 34 - and she was the ONLY player to get in the 30's!!!!!!!!!!!!!She plays off 2. Boy - talk about tough.

The rough was brutal - once you were off the fairway you had little chance of finding your ball and if you could it was very hard to get it out. And the greens were like lightning!!!!!!!!!

I had 25 points - two lost balls and numerous 3 putts - and I came in equal 6th. There were a lot of players in the teens.

Even though my score wasn't crash hot I wasn't that unhappy how I played. Sounds silly doesn't it. Sometimes I can get 35 points and feel like I played like crap and today I'm not too unhappy about 25 points.

Best thing is that pennant starts on Thursday and we play at The National again. Hopefully my opponent didn't play today and that I remember what to do right. I have actually written myself a little course guide. The conditions are forecasted as similar.

Toolish
4th March 2008, 07:08 AM
One out of 50 in the 30's....damn, must have been tough!

Flowergirl
4th March 2008, 08:02 AM
I've played out there when the wind has been more brutal - but never seen the greens so slick or the rough so punishing. Maybe it's the fact it was a bunch of sheilas laying. There - I got in first.:mrgreen:

3oneday
4th March 2008, 08:11 AM
Maybe it's the fact it was a bunch of sheilas laying.
:-k

PeteyD
4th March 2008, 08:14 AM
Well I guess they forgot to P

Flowergirl
4th March 2008, 09:21 AM
Sometimes I'm funny without even trying.:smt023

PeteyD
4th March 2008, 09:28 AM
And we are laughing with you, no really ;)

Shaneo
5th March 2008, 05:20 AM
played on monday (my b'day)
ringwood gc
f/ways - 6/13
greens - 12/18
bogeys - 4
doubles - 1
birdies - 3
eagles - 1
overall 1 over 70, nett 69, not much to say really.
i've struggled in my last 3 rounds to hit fairways, maybe time to see the coach again.
Plus got hit in the back by some moron who didn't know where his ball went. isn't that what 'FORE' is for?

Matt 3 Jab
5th March 2008, 04:30 PM
Played bankstown today
hit it ok for not playing for 2 weeks
backed up my idea that im a 10 handicapper.
fairways - 6/13
greens - 9/18
putts - 35

31 points

was -1 after 6 and fell apart a bit, but oh well, one day i'll hit it ok, working on my rhythm and struck the ball better, so happy about that

Grunt
6th March 2008, 03:30 PM
Played at Beverley Park this morning with Chopper & Griffo (ozgolf member but has never posted). Had a pretty good day out there, only one bad hole:?. Was not that good off the tee but putted really well, could have been better too. I left alot of putts less than 1 foot from the hole on more than a few times.

Stats.

36 Stab. points
87 Gross
70 Nett
10 fairways
5 GIR
6/11 Up & Downs
0/2 Sand Saves
30 Putts

7 pars
6 bogies
4 Doubles
1 Triple

Shaneo
6th March 2008, 06:10 PM
played again today
eastwood golf club this time

f/ways - 9/14
greens - 16/18
bogeys - 3
doubles - 1
birdies - 6

total 38 points, 1 under 71
i played pretty solid today, should not have had that double bogey, par 5 missed from the middle of the fairway from 160 out, and one of the other bogeys i missed a 5 inch putt, let's just say i will be taking my time a bit more from now on.

Flowergirl
7th March 2008, 07:45 AM
First round of pennant yesterday - back at The National Ocean Course. My opponent and I were so evenly matched - the number of times our balls were side by side was amazing. In the end it just came down to the fact she made fewer mistakes than me and I lost 2 down at the 18th.
Couldn't say I played well but as I posted on Monday the course is very tough and even after playing there on Monday I could not make putts - neither could my opponent. I was very happy with my bunker play - 3 sand saves and I drove well.

The team lost - badly.:oops: We won 1 - drew 2 - and lost 4.
Next week we play at Flinders. Bring it on.:mrgreen:

ddasey
8th March 2008, 11:34 AM
Don't post here very often, as I usually don't have a score worth bragging about....untill today.

Today was a day of many first's. I had been working really hard to slow my swing down (a lot) and it seems to be finally starting to pay off :smt038

Today was Single Stableford and a day if first's for me.

First time to crack 40 points. Ended up with.......47 :shock:

No wipes and and finished with a gross 85 ( First time to crack 90) :).

Finally the handicap will be moving in the right direction.

PeteyD
8th March 2008, 11:48 AM
Nice Shooting. 47 is pretty awesome.

ddasey
8th March 2008, 12:10 PM
Nice Shooting. 47 is pretty awesome.

Thanks, now if I can just consistently hit the ball well week in, week out :)

jimandr
8th March 2008, 04:10 PM
I can consistently hit the ball badly, and did so again today for 35 points. Everything was mediocre at best, and fairway woods were awful. 9 bogies, 9 pars despite hitting almost every fairway with short but straight drives.

Fairways = 12 of 14
Greens in reg = 6 of 18
Putts = 32, zero 3putts, zero birdies
Up&Down = 3 of 10
Sand Saves = 0 of 1

BrisWesty
8th March 2008, 06:16 PM
One out of 50 in the 30's....damn, must have been tough!

Sounds like the 2006 champs at Pacific Harbour!

PeteyD
8th March 2008, 06:18 PM
Nah we had 2 in the 30s

Courty
8th March 2008, 09:30 PM
Cairns GC was unplayable after the recent deluge so a bunch of us ventured out to Paradise Palms today. It was in pretty reasonable shape considering the recent weather, but IMO it should have been Preferred Lies.
Anyhoo, a revelation on the practice range saw me striking the ball the best I have in a long time. Tee to green was in pretty good shape, however once I got within chipping range, it became a disaster. I hit 10/14 FIRs, which is an astounding effort on such a tight course. Hitting the greens wasn't so easy, as they were rock hard and wouldn't hold even a lofted short iron with a bucket load of spin. I only hit 6/18. Even though many of the misses were within only a few metres of the putting surface, I couldn't convert them into decent scores. I chipped & putted like a complete gumby. I reckon there were about 5 misjudged chips (mostly too short) and I had 36 putts. Part of that could be blamed on some insane pin positions, but I doubt it would have made that much difference to me. I closed with wipes on the final 2 holes to limp in with 25 pts. The only good thing about that is that the 0.1 will get me back out to 9. :twisted:

SupaSubi
9th March 2008, 07:58 AM
i played a casual round out at victoria park on friday :twisted:

anywho - after reading that 'golf is not a game of perfect book' - i think my ball striking is no better, but tee to green much better :mrgreen:. i had some really excellent drives with the howling wind out. drove the 1st (294m, slight downhill, big tailwind), drove to fringe on the 4th (280m up hill, big tailwind), fringe on the 13th (245m, downhill, with 3wood, big tailwind). then on the headwind downhill 7th, only managed around 210m, maybe my driving style not suited to headwinds (i hit it VERY high). meh.

anywho, best shots was the pure PW to 10ft on the 6th, pure 4iron off the tee on the 9th, and a great 7iron fade into a tucked right pin position on the 17th. luckiest shot was a thin 5iron to 4inches on the par three 2nd.

out in -1, home in 4 over (two lost balls :oops: - big hooks in the cross wind), overall 3 over for gross 68. w00t.

i think its about time i got off my arse and joined a club somewhere to play a decent course without all the hacks.

mikezone13
9th March 2008, 08:58 AM
A day of great shots and rubbish from me for 35pts, was 5 down on stableford after 4 holes but 3 birds (and a couple lip outs) over the next 8 holes saw me right the ship. Unfortunately I missed 4 greens with wedges in my hand as my irons were either hot or cold.

The day was summed up as needing par on the last for 36pts I smacked a nice drive up the middle only to have an easy 80m into the flag, a thinned sand wedge on to the back fringe a chip that missed the cup by an inch and left me an easy up hill par putt from 3 feet... missed it, made bogey, 35pts and back out to 10 (9.5).

5/12 Fairways
7/18 GIRs (missed the first 6 - ouch)
35 putts
3 birds
5 pars
7 bogies
3 doubles
1/3 sandies
0/7 U&D's (actually chipped well for me, but only putted well when putting for birdie, missed a few 3-4 footers for par)

PeteyD
9th March 2008, 01:21 PM
Played a typical crap OG day aroung Wynnum. 100/78.

shazza_rs
9th March 2008, 03:19 PM
Played Middle Ridge yesterday (8/3).

Played pretty average. Couldn't hit a fairway, putted pretty crap.

93/80
2/14 Fairways
4/18 GIR
4/13 U/D
0/1 Sand Save
38 Putts

Course is set up really tough at the moment (mens champs and easter tourney coming up). My missed fairways weren't actually big misses, just off in the rough on most occasions. Highlight of the round - chip in for a bird on the 3rd. Only chance of getting a bird as my putting was up the poo!.. I had a 4 putt and numerous 3 putts. Greens were veeeeerrrrry slick.

Moe Norman
9th March 2008, 04:50 PM
Didn't do stats today but had 83-76 around Wynnum.

Apart from an 11 on the 12th and a couple of doubles elsewhere, I played ok. Had 4 or 5 birds and hit the ball solid, just a bit wayward off the tee and shocking around the greens

BrisWesty
9th March 2008, 08:38 PM
82/69 at Wynnum today. 31 putts, with 2 3 putts and a chip in. only 1 double bogey, but way too many bogeys. Only hit 4 greens in reg. Reasonably solid, but feel like I scrambled well.

oz
10th March 2008, 01:46 PM
Played a stableford round at Howlong yesterday. New grip and swing changes are starting to feel slightly better. Played solid golf for the first 8 holes, but then lost my way for the next 6 or 7. Made mental errors on top of physical ones, and threw the round away. Finished with 3 solid pars to reduce the embarrassment just a little.... (28 pts :( ).

Toolish
10th March 2008, 05:09 PM
Played Coomealla on Saturday

75 for a nett 70. (Par 72)

29 putts (no 3 putts!!)
9 GIR
10/14 FW
2/8 UD
0/1 SS

Still need to work on the up and down statistics, but getting there.

Made an eagle on the 8th, 475m par 5 with a 30 degree dogleg left about 90-100 from the green. Hit a driver about 240 down the middle, then drew a 3 wood around the corner, landed about 20m short and skipped onto the green. Had about a 7 footet with 4-5 inches left to right in the putt and dropped it in the heart. That meant I played the6-8 stretch in 3 under as I birdied the 6th.

Played the last 3 of the day in 2 over which hurt as they were soft bogeys.

Handicap is back to 5 square now.