PDA

View Full Version : Yardage Gaps

Pinglauncher
21st February 2008, 01:54 PM
I sat down last night and worked out the yardage gaps I was getting with my current bag setup and am wondering whether I should make some adjustments.

# 5 wood to 4 hybrid is 15 mtrs which seems okay
# 4 hybrid to 5 hybrid is 10 mtrs and irons on down to 9 are the same with pretty much an even 10 mtr gap.

After this though is where it is a little off.

# 9 - PW is 15 mtrs
# PW to GW is 20 mtrs
# GW to LW (52* / 58*) is also 20 mtrs

As I am not a long hitter I tend to rely on my short game to score.

Should I be looking at these gaps and closing them up a little :-k

Jarro
21st February 2008, 01:56 PM
Probably wouldn't hurt to get the lofts on your wedges checked.

3oneday
21st February 2008, 02:07 PM
So you hit your gap wedge 20 and the sand 40 ? or the other way round :confused:

:lol:

Toolish
21st February 2008, 02:09 PM
Personal preference really, but I prefer to have smaller gaps in the wedges, hence I carry 60, 56, 52.

Also, check your 9i and PW loft (get the whole set checked if you can), may show a reason for gaps in there

Pinglauncher
21st February 2008, 02:19 PM
Personal preference really, but I prefer to have smaller gaps in the wedges, hence I carry 60, 56, 52.

Also, check your 9i and PW loft (get the whole set checked if you can), may show a reason for gaps in there

There is supposed to be a 5* gap between the Ping 9 & PW. I have recently changed my PW from G5 to I5 and this seems to be a few mtrs shorter.

Gap wedge is Ping Tour and LW is Cally XTour and different shafts

Maybe I should change my wedges to 50* 54* and 58* same make same shaft :-k

Pinglauncher
21st February 2008, 02:20 PM
So you hit your gap wedge 20 and the sand 40 ? or the other way round :confused:

Depends on how much run I get. I can sometimes blade my LW a good 45 mtrs :wink:

oz
21st February 2008, 02:26 PM
I used to carry PW, GW, SW, LW, but have recently gone to PW, 52*, 58*.

I find the yardage gaps of 15m between wedges is manageable enough. This is mainly because I am trying to change my game away from hitting full, hard, wedge shots (too high, too much spin) for the most part.

I am going to a short game school this weekend, though, so I may come away from that with a new perspective..... YMMV.

Flowergirl
21st February 2008, 02:30 PM
I used to carry PW, GW, SW, LW, but have recently gone to PW, 52*, 58*.

I find the yardage gaps of 15m between wedges is manageable enough. This is mainly because I am trying to change my game away from hitting full, hard, wedge shots (too high, too much spin) for the most part.

I am going to a short game school this weekend, though, so I may come away from that with a new perspective..... YMMV.

What school?

PeteyD
21st February 2008, 02:49 PM
Nude School!!

Courty
21st February 2008, 06:14 PM
Depends on how much run I get. I can sometimes blade my LW a good 45 mtrs :wink:

markTHEblake
21st February 2008, 08:05 PM
How can an average golfer know the gaps between clubs with any accuracy?

I havent a clue myself.

rick3003
21st February 2008, 10:59 PM

I havent a clue myself.
Your joking right? Off your handicap you must know your yardages - fair enough they might not be 100% but they must be close surely.

jimandr
21st February 2008, 11:05 PM

I havent a clue myself.

I find that hard to believe Blakey. I'm sure you know exactly which club you need to hit from 100, 90 and 80. But as a low marker, I'll also be surprised if you don't take one extra club most of the time.

Whether we then strike the ball well enough for it to go that distance is another issue altogether.

I'm assuming Ping is making an educated guesstimate based upon how far each club goes when he hits a good shot from a known distance marker on his home course. He seems to be suggesting that if he hits PW from say 90m it flies to the back of the green, but his GW struggles to make the front from the same spot. If this is the case, I'd say he needs a stronger GW.

From my point of view, the real test is the club you hit when you are facing a water carry, and you know the distance to carry it. My ego tries to convince me that I can hit a perfectly struck shot, but the smart play is to take the extra club and play safe.

3oneday
22nd February 2008, 07:52 AM

I havent a clue myself.I see the issue here, he's calling Ping average and rated himself better than average...

tickets.

oz
22nd February 2008, 08:20 AM
What school?

Golfers Resort at Yarrawonga - Glen McCully Golf Schools.

I am just sick of blaming my crappy short game for ruining another round. Time for some external eyes to review the problems.

markTHEblake
22nd February 2008, 12:31 PM
Your joking right?

No, please ignore signature this time. :neutral:

Off your handicap you must know your yardages - fair enough they might not be 100% but they must be close surely.

Every golfer knows their yardages within a range. But this isnt the topic, we are talking yardage 'gaps'. And for most of us, the gap reduces as the clubs get longer. All i know is that my yardages have a huge +/- next to them.

Unless the golfer goes to a level range with no other people on it, no wind, and no run, hits 20-30 balls with each club, and measures the average distances and the gaps, then he really has no accurate idea of what the gaps might be. How many of us have ever been able to do that?

This is what all pro golfers do, average golfers do not. Though I suspect that Jono probably has done this, he is most certainly not the average weekend golfer:lol:

I find that hard to believe Blakey. I'm sure you know exactly which club you need to hit from 100, 90 and 80.

you are right, its easier to roughly work out gaps for <100. I was thinking all clubs. I didnt read Pings post properly because i wasnt actually responding to him specifically.

Most people would be able to tell that given that I didnt quote him, or use his name.

markTHEblake
22nd February 2008, 01:10 PM
I see the issue here, he's calling Ping average and rated himself better than average...

I have quoted a section of your post, which means I am addressing this directly to you. If I didnt do that, you could safely assume that I wasnt, unless you had some sort of conspiracy complex, and I'll go out on a limb here and assume you dont. Cos assume makes an ass out of you and me.

The answer is No, if thats what i wanted to say, i would have said quoted some of his post and said "ping, i am a better golfer than you, and i dont know, so how could you"

You read way to much into things.

The answer to the question I proposed (to provoke discussion), is the average golfer doesnt go through the methodological measuring that pro's and golf addicts/tragics like Jono do. :lol:

If Average is a word that has offended anyone, I am Sorry (and I really mean it, unlike the one that was recently forced upon us :lol: ) In retrospect I should have said 'typical weekend golfer that doesnt practice much and is not a professional or high level amateur, or golfing tragic'.

Ping, please let me know what I can do to help you overcome the stress and suffering caused by my poorly structured sentence. (by the way, I have no idea what your handicap is anyway)

Toolish
22nd February 2008, 02:02 PM
13.7 :)

Better than average according to most stats I have seen. :D

Pinglauncher
22nd February 2008, 08:59 PM
The answer to the question I proposed (to provoke discussion), is the average golfer doesnt go through the methodological measuring that pro's and golf addicts/tragics like Jono do.

MTB this is exactly what I do. I will quite often go through the process of getting average yardages as my game changes. If it is good enough for the Pro's then why not us. Isn't that how we can improve. There is certainly more variation in longer club yardages but not so much from say 8 iron on down.

Ping, please let me know what I can do to help you overcome the stress and suffering caused by my poorly structured sentence. (by the way, I have no idea what your handicap is anyway)

No stress and suffering caused at all. My handicap is pretty easy to find however by clicking on the Golflink in my posts :wink:

Although the hcp is average this is more due to my sometime pathetic driving ability and shonky back. I don't rate my short game as that of a 13 - 14 marker.

3oneday
22nd February 2008, 09:38 PM
You read way to much into things.not really, I just like your wanky responses ;)

Jono
22nd February 2008, 11:04 PM
Now guys, play nice. This is the premier internet golfing community, right? 8)

BTW, stop mentioning my name, Blakey. :?

Flowergirl
23rd February 2008, 09:16 AM
Golfers Resort at Yarrawonga - Glen McCully Golf Schools.

I am just sick of blaming my crappy short game for ruining another round. Time for some external eyes to review the problems.

i THOUGHT THAT MIGHT BE WHERE YOU ARE GOING. i WENT THERE A FEW YEARS AGO AND IT WAS EXCELLENT. ( sorry for yelling) I would like to go back now because I understand the fundamentals a lot better and would benefit a lot more. Good luck with it.

Polymer
24th February 2008, 07:57 PM
Some people are ok w/ larger gaps on their wedges because it's easier to take something off of those shots to get the distance you want.....

That said, 20 meters is a pretty big gap..so based on what you've said my guess, with a combination of your swing speed and you're probably loft when you swing, ou're probably better off adding a wedge...Not sure what your lofts are but guessing you have a 45-46 degree PW. I'm not sure what type but you'll want to get a gap wedge or even another PW that'll get you to about 12 meters. You can stick w/ the 58 but probably want to see what else is out there to get those gaps down a bit. You might even find that because you add loft (which might even be worse when you have a shorter shaft), a 3 degree difference on your wedges might be sufficient. Forget about the loft really, just find what hits your gaps, the lofts will give you a starting place.

I'm not sure if you have all 14 clubs but lets say you do (I can't figure out what they are but lets say you do)
From a long iron/hybrid standpoint, you really could do with larger gaps because most players (maybe not you but most) hit them with less consistency anyways. Maybe replace your 5h and 4h with something in between. Or even replace your 5w as well. 5w to whatever you have below your 5h is 45 meters, so if you split that and you're looking at 22meters, that's not too bad considering you might only hit that once or twice and probably less for scoring and more just to get close.

markTHEblake
24th February 2008, 11:52 PM
this is exactly what I do. I will quite often go through the process of getting average yardages as my game changes.
Thats outstanding dedication! Where do you do this? its gotta be pretty hard to find the right lonely place and without wind.

No stress and suffering caused at all.
thanks, i was beside myself all day over it.

My handicap is pretty easy to find however by clicking on the Golflink in my posts :wink:
I know its there, but my point is I try not to judge (or compare) peoples posts by their handicap. Most of the Ozgolfers here know a helluva lot about golf and their handicap has nuthin to do with it.

BTW, stop mentioning my name, Blakey. :?
sorry mate - it was a roundabout way of saying that I admire your dedication to the game :smt038

oz
25th February 2008, 07:27 AM
i THOUGHT THAT MIGHT BE WHERE YOU ARE GOING. i WENT THERE A FEW YEARS AGO AND IT WAS EXCELLENT. ( sorry for yelling) I would like to go back now because I understand the fundamentals a lot better and would benefit a lot more. Good luck with it.

Thanks FG. Yes, it was excellent. Glenn is a good teacher, with an easy manner. I will post a bit of a review, when I get the chance.

Grunt
25th February 2008, 07:38 AM
I have been using Intelligolf to track all my on course stats and it does give you an average for all clubs and the % left/right or fairway. Funny thing is with all the duffed shots and the like the averages are in groups at similar distances. Really knocks the average down when you hit the ball 20m when it slams into a tree etc.

Driver/3W : 188/187
4W : 167
3H : 142
4i/5i/6i : 142/145/140
7i/8i : 122/118
9i/pw : 99/91

I know these are not the distances I go for with these club but funny how they all seem to group up in simialr distances. I am keeping track of them and will look to see how they average out as my golf is on the improve again.