PDA

View Full Version : Commencing 18th February 2008

Shaneo
20th February 2008, 04:55 AM
I hope i'll be hearing some good scores from around the board.

i'll start it up for this week

Played at Ringwood golf course on monday
it's where i started my golf, great club, course is pretty short

fairways - 9/13
greens - 16/18
putts - 29
bogeys - 2
birdies - 5

Shot a solid 3 under 66 or 4UP coz it was PAR, the par at the moment is 69 coz of a temp green.

hope everyone is playing well

cheers
shane

chappy1970
20th February 2008, 12:27 PM
Great shootin Shaneo

andylo
20th February 2008, 01:09 PM
Shot a solid 3 under 66 or 4UP coz it was PAR, the par at the moment is 69 coz of a temp green.

Good shooting! :smt023

Jealous, very jealous :mrgreen:

Shaneo
20th February 2008, 07:33 PM
thanks guys, apprieciate it

nothing to be jealous about it's all about hitting greens in reg, anyone can do it.

i've been putting a few good rounds together lately and i think they're only going to get better, i just have to keep the bogeys off the card.

also, chappy...
going to check out the southern amateur on the weekend?

AndyP
20th February 2008, 08:14 PM
...it's all about hitting greens in reg, anyone can do it.
:smt044:smt082](*,)

just
20th February 2008, 08:53 PM
Can you ban him?

Flowergirl
21st February 2008, 07:10 AM
Cute little baby Shane.;)

And I agree GIR's are easy. Even I made one - once.:wink:

PeteyD
21st February 2008, 08:11 AM
If he comes to the champs can we through him in the lake on 18? With bricks tied to him?

Oh nice shooting Shaneo. Certainly looks like you have a good chance the way things are going.

Shaneo
21st February 2008, 12:48 PM
If he comes to the champs can we through him in the lake on 18? With bricks tied to him?

Oh nice shooting Shaneo. Certainly looks like you have a good chance the way things are going.

i don't even know when the champs are.....
don't even know where....

to be quite honest i know nothing about what goes on here i found this place by mistake but ever since that i've loved talking to others about golf, my mrs hates the game so i have no one to talk to about it at home, even though she asks how i've played.

PeteyD
21st February 2008, 12:51 PM
November at Kooralbyn Valley. Glad you are enjoying the site!

Flowergirl
21st February 2008, 01:29 PM
i don't even know when the champs are.....
don't even know where....

to be quite honest i know nothing about what goes on here i found this place by mistake but ever since that i've loved talking to others about golf, my mrs hates the game so i have no one to talk to about it at home, even though she asks how i've played.

It can be a bit confusing on this site. There are a lot of us that have been here some time and know each other - and we tend to forget that newcomers don't know all the inside gossip.
There is a thread that is dedicated to the "champs". This is an event that we hold every year - usually November and as many of as as possible get together for a weekend of friendship, laughs and golf. It's held in Queensland - which is a great excuse for a holiday - and last year we had over 40 attend.
Last weekend we had 8 Vics who got together for a game and we have another planned for March. Keep an eye in the 1st tee thread. There were 3 newcomers last week so please don't think us Vics are a "clicky" group.
Just ask if you want any more info. Keep us posted regarding your games. We are all envious. And if they start putting sh&t on you - it means you're accepted.:wink::mrgreen:

Shaneo
21st February 2008, 02:56 PM
There is a thread that is dedicated to the "champs". This is an event that we hold every year - usually November and as many of as as possible get together for a weekend of friendship, laughs and golf. It's held in Queensland - which is a great excuse for a holiday - and last year we had over 40 attend.
Last weekend we had 8 Vics who got together for a game and we have another planned for March. Keep an eye in the 1st tee thread. There were 3 newcomers last week so please don't think us Vics are a "clicky" group.
Just ask if you want any more info. Keep us posted regarding your games. We are all envious. And if they start putting sh&t on you - it means you're accepted.:wink::mrgreen:

wow the champs sound like a great holiday, pencil me in, sorry peterD
i'd love to play the vics if i can but i work most days including the weekend

Courty
21st February 2008, 05:10 PM
my mrs hates the game so i have no one to talk to about it at home, even though she asks how i've played.

Maybe your Mrs can talk to my Mrs. They already have a lot in common. :roll: ;)

Shaneo
21st February 2008, 05:22 PM
my mrs hates the fact i see more of the golf course than her, between you, me and the others here

it's not a bad thing :razz:

kev
21st February 2008, 07:39 PM
<snip>
i'd love to play the vics if i can but i work most days including the weekend

And you have a handicap of 1 :shock:

Nice score there by the way.

mikezone13
21st February 2008, 08:10 PM
Maybe your Mrs can talk to my Mrs. They already have a lot in common. :roll: ;)

mine too

Shaneo
22nd February 2008, 01:30 PM
And you have a handicap of 1 :shock:

Nice score there by the way.

thanks kev

it's good having a low handicap but it could be lower if i was ALLOWED to play more, i hate having to ask the BOSS all the bloody time.

i get the whole 'if you want to do well with golf you have to play' but when i do i get drilled for it, can't win..... :smt013

unless you lucky enough to find a young lady that plays herself, that would be ideal :smt038

i can't say i'm not happy though, coz i am

jaybam
22nd February 2008, 03:27 PM
Played Wynnum today with eags and hit the ball really solid. Shot 72 off the stick with 39 pts so three under the handicap is always good.
Stats
F/ways 10 -13
Greens 10 -18
Putts 31

Overall pretty happy. See if i can do it again tommorrow :)

Eag's
22nd February 2008, 04:34 PM
Played with Jaybam at Wynnum today Single Stab 37 pts (2 wipes)
I didn't hit the ball that well at all really, my wedge play was just plain embarrassing :smt087 and I missed a lot of fairways.

8 Greens
5 Fairways
30 putts

shazza_rs
23rd February 2008, 04:30 PM
Played at Nudgee (North Course) today.... man was it hot. I've decided that heat and me playing golf don't match. :(

Had 22 points.

I was hitting driver, irons and woods okay, just wasn't on with my short game today. Pete has had me practising my short game last night and was showing me all sorts of shots to play and i started to be able to hit some pretty good shots. But i got over my ball today and i was just thinking "what the hell do i do with this". A couple of good shots and a lot of bad.

I drank about 5 litres of liquid today and i was cramping up from the 12th hole.... **** me!

jaybam
23rd February 2008, 04:44 PM
i second that shazza i tried to back up today after yesterdays heat and just got smashed out there. Played a single stab for a big 31 points and like wise the cramps set in about the 13th hole. Shitty stats too.

6 of 14 fairways
5 of 18 greens
31 putts

had better days but i get my .1 back :(

Eag's
23rd February 2008, 04:45 PM
Wow Shaz :shock: didn't think even you 2 golf nuts would be out there today, way to bloody hot for golf. I almost passed out just from washing the dishes :smt104

Jarro
23rd February 2008, 04:45 PM
You guys are mad playing out there today :shock:

ddasey
23rd February 2008, 04:48 PM
I gotta agree, man it was hot. Heat & Golf just don't mix.

Can someone please build and entire 18 holes indoors with air con...

Fishman Dan
23rd February 2008, 06:09 PM
Had the best 37 points ever, if that's possible. I think there were 9 x 3 pointers in that total, and 3 wipes. Front 9 was 18 points with 5 x 3-pointers, 2 wipes, a 2 and a 1. One of those wipes was a 'lost' ball that was found on the way to the next tee (bugger).

But the story of the day was how the 37 points were compiled. Started 1 down, through 5 I was 2 up, 2 consecutive wipes to go 2 down, followed by 2 consecutive 3 pars to have my 18 points through 9. The back 9 wasn't much different, and when I wiped 14 to go 2-down I thought it was done - but then went birdie - par (ball on edge of cup), par, par to finish with a rush.

Happy to post that score with such infrequent golf these days.

Jarro
23rd February 2008, 06:16 PM
I didn't have any drama with the heat.
Maybe its just my superior fitness.

Probably.

How many donuts did you eat during the round ?

just
23rd February 2008, 06:19 PM
If the heat bothers you just play naked but ensure you have spf 30+ and a hat.

jaybam
23rd February 2008, 06:20 PM
How many times did you drag your butt out of the golf cart and walk???? :)

peter_rs
23rd February 2008, 06:26 PM
Played Nudgee South today for the first time in a comp. It was intersting, i've never played it from the plates before, only ever social. It actually opens the couse up a bit more so driver can be used off the tee a few more times. I struggled in the heat. I couldn't drink enough and a snag at half way only made things worse. I started cramping after 14 and started thinking about jumping in the creek on 16. :)

I was playing with a 2 marker, a young kid and he could of had my "back up bag". We were similiar distance with the driver but he was just pure with his irons, two clubs longer than me. On 18 off the back tee (about 155m) hit an 8 iron over the back. He shot 69/67. It was good to watch.

Thanks to shazzy for the chipping practice last night, it helped.

8 Fairways
6 GIR
29 Putts
1/2 Sand
7/13 U/D (counted if two attempts at an U/D on one hole)
1 lost ball in the water

So anyway..... you'd think a 78/61 would be good enough for something.... but i could only manage a 3rd on a C/B.

An 18 marker shot net 58 :roll:
A 19 marker shot net 60
And then me and another bloke off 15 had net 61.

I didn't think the south course played that easy.... no wonder the guys don't play it too often and shazza's handicap has dropped ;)

Eag's
23rd February 2008, 06:31 PM
Nice shooting Pete :smt023
58 nett from an 18 hcp :shock::shock: you would feel a bit ripped not winning anything with a 61 nett :smt108

shazza_rs
23rd February 2008, 06:34 PM
Nice shooting Pete! Shit.. i'll have to pick up my act again! ;)

damoocow
23rd February 2008, 08:11 PM
Played at Keperra this morning - hottest day I have ever played golf - finished at 11am which was just as well - there were plenty of players getting ready to hit off then ! - insane........was playing Par - had a good front 9 [+4] then went 5 straight minuses but rallied to end up +1....................clubhouse leader was +8 which I would say would be a very good score in those conditions..

Courty
23rd February 2008, 11:38 PM
I played at Cairns today in an individual stableford. It was a non-eventful round for 32 pts with 1 wipe (on Index 18 :roll:).

Eag's
24th February 2008, 11:33 AM
40 points at Tweed River in the heat yesterday.
Hit a bunch of fairways and am finally realising how much easier it is from there and not the trees.

Nice shooting Rich :smt023

Played Single Stab at Nudgee today with the boys 34 pts 20/14 (3 wipes)
Same as my last game, hit the ball crap of the tee and irons were just a joke once again :smt013 my putting kept my score respectable.

4 Greens :oops:
7 Fairways
28 putts

goughy
24th February 2008, 12:04 PM
Sorry rocket, but I may have snuck out to 13. Played with the band today. Was ok with the exception of my driving, which is nothing unusual. Courty's ex hybrid which has been a revelation club for me until today. It failed me big time. Oh well.

34pts, 1 fairway, 4 greens, 31 putts. Par 5's sucked today. Played them 6 over!!! Actually, I felt my play looked worse than it scored.

Might have to organise our game Rocket, as it'll probably be my last one before April!

Jarro
24th February 2008, 12:58 PM
Single Stab at Nudgee today.

35 points ( 17/18 )

9 Fwys
3 G.I.R
30 putts

I'm having good success when i try NOT to hit the ball, and just try and swing the club instead. Works well when i remember to do that :roll:

goughy
24th February 2008, 01:11 PM
9 Fwys
3 G.I.R

:shock:

chappy1970
24th February 2008, 01:28 PM
Had 31 points yesterday, out .1.

I have been hitting the ball quite well off the tee for the last month or two, but have been just missing the fairway often.

Yesterday I only hit 5 fairways for the day, a follow on from last Sunday's Vic Ozgolf day where I only hit 4 fairways for the day.

Had a poor front nine with 12 points, but countered with 19 points on the back.

Putter was hot and cold, draining some beauties but also leaving myself with some lengthy second putts. Still not used to the insert in the putter, find it had to judge any putt of length, so the Odyssey is going to the bench for a while.

Chappy

peter_rs
24th February 2008, 01:56 PM
OK so I played in a work social group at wantima today...

new hcp was 15.

69 of the stick.

The course was in great condition and all the holes were in play after the earth works late last year. The greens were slow considering pennants were after us.

It was a 6:30am tee time so we beat the heat.

It hit some nice shots with no penalties. Short game and putter was still working ok.

(oh it was a two-man ambrose with shazza 62 nett par 70 for the win)

Jarro
24th February 2008, 02:07 PM
Nice shootin' Pete (and Shaz)

Mate, you've struck a rich vein of from lately haven't you :shock:

peter_rs
24th February 2008, 02:34 PM
thanks....

Yes and no its more just all the areas working together.

I was stricking the ball well at xmass (I was scoring but then posting big numbers) but then I did not play much in jan cause I was in syd on work. On sat I still posted a 8 but there was only one.

looking forward to club champs at the ridge this week.. even though it will rip me a new one as I wont have a idea on the greens.

goughy
24th February 2008, 02:47 PM
The were running true today! Funny thing was, they were faster at 6am than they were at 10! Couldn't figure that one out... Lots, and I mean lots of pitch marks in them, lazy buggers.

Sasquatch
24th February 2008, 03:30 PM
I played at Toowoomba City yesterday & couldn't believe the state of the greens. I've never seen so many pitch marks left unrepaired.

goughy
24th February 2008, 03:55 PM
It is probably the biggest issue at the club. It's not the clubs fault per se, but they do need to do something about it. I've seen plenty of comp members not even look for their pitch marks on the greens. And the social players really tear them up. I would think their greens would be pretty good with the exception of this.

BrisVegas
24th February 2008, 04:51 PM
Got a surprise game in this afternoon. Haven't played in 3 weeks. Played the first 12 holes 1 over, then fell in a heap. Nabbed a NTP on the 5th with a kick-in bird.

85 gross for 31 points. (22 & 9)
12 FIR
8 GIR
35 putts

Grunt
24th February 2008, 06:19 PM
Played Riverlands with Jim this afternoon, was one of those days where I played really badly and did not really score as well as badly as I played.

Stats are not that crash hot as the score would have suggest. I hit long on a fair few greens too. Might have been a 1st time at the course thing.

Stats;

91 Gross
29 points
4 fairways
1 GIR
31 putts
2/13 up & Downs
0/2 Sandsaves

Maybe play better on Tuesday

jimandr
24th February 2008, 07:07 PM
Riverlands with Grunt today. I think he played a bit better than he has reported. I hit the ball alright, but threw away lots of shots around the greens for my 31 points. My short game stats tell the story.

Fairways = 8 of 12
Greens in reg = 10 of 18
Putts = 38, four 3putts, 1 birdie.
Up&Down = 1 of 7 (a 25ft putt on the first, then not a sniff from that point)
Sand Saves = 0 of 1.

I'm counting two times when I hit putts from just off the green as 3putts, otherwise the u/d stat would be even worse.

just
24th February 2008, 08:03 PM
Played Nudgee. Been experimenting during the week and worked out I need a shorter driver. By gripping down I found more fairways instead of the usual hooks and pulls. Going to chop the driver. Short game was really average, especially out of bunkers.

Oh yeah, I had 38pts. I could have had more but two wipes and three one pointers don't help.

shazza_rs
24th February 2008, 08:15 PM
well done just..... pity it won't shave enough off your handicap ;)

Eag's
24th February 2008, 08:25 PM
Top stuff Just, keep it up mate :smt023

AndyP
24th February 2008, 08:40 PM
Been experimenting during the week and worked out I need a shorter driver. By gripping down I found more fairways instead of the usual hooks and pulls. Going to chop the driver. How long is it now?
How long will it be once you get the chop?

Moe Norman
24th February 2008, 08:53 PM
The were running true today! Funny thing was, they were faster at 6am than they were at 10! Couldn't figure that one out... Lots, and I mean lots of pitch marks in them, lazy buggers.humid weather, summer growth....

greens are made of grass, and grass grows!

Played Nudgee. Been experimenting during the week and worked out I need a shorter driver. By gripping down I found more fairways instead of the usual hooks and pulls. Going to chop the driver. Short game was really average, especially out of bunkers.

Oh yeah, I had 38pts. I could have had more but two wipes and three one pointers don't help.good call mate

goughy
24th February 2008, 09:34 PM
humid weather, summer growth....

greens are made of grass, and grass grows!

Yeah, I'd have gone with you on that. Except that at 6am it was cold, almost overcast and the greens were covered in dew. The sun didn't come out until we got through the 11th, and they were wet till then. And then it started getting humid.

markTHEblake
24th February 2008, 10:47 PM
Set a new personal best today of the inglorious kind.

got smashed by a bloke 3x younger than me (14yo)

Toolish
25th February 2008, 07:16 AM
Had a mediocre 33 points.

7 FW
9 GIR
4/6 U/D, mainly that good because I missed a lot of green by a couple of metres in the right spot and left simple chips
0/3 S/S
35 Putts including 4 x 3 putts.

1 Birdie
10 pars
5 Bogeys
1 Double
1 Triple

Need to keep working on the putter, and also wedge distance control to give meself more birdie chances.

BrisVegas
25th February 2008, 08:04 AM
Set a new personal best today of the inglorious kind.

got smashed by a bloke 3x younger than me (14yo)

hahahahah, I know the feeling. I had the pleasure of playing and getting beaten by a young Ben Bloomfield in junior penants. He was 14, I was a stately 20...

just
25th February 2008, 07:22 PM
How long is it now?
How long will it be once you get the chop?

Andy
It's Pings standard 45.75, after its been given the chop it will be 44.5. Ping seem to like ridiculously long drivers.
I hit 9 fairways with the driver (10 altogether but one was with a 4 iron), got 5 or 6 pars and it was only a really poor short game especially bunker play that cost me a good score.