View Full Version : 2008 Golf Digest Top 100

Dennis
15th February 2008, 09:54 PM
The results are in:

Topics for discussion

1) Should RM be graded as a composite?
2) Capital not rated, yet one architect rated it #1
3) Is Monash underrated? Out of the top 100
4) Is Southern overrated? Up 11 spots to 82. I know one guy who will be very happy about this:?. Still behind Riversdale that is way overrated at 80 perhaps? I hope you guys playing it on Sunday can give some feedback. I hear the fairways are now as good as any in the country.
5) Both Peninsula courses fell even though they have gone through major renovations for the better
6) Runfurlie...95??
7) Palm Meadows got given a roast for lack of maintenance.

What do you guys think?

AndyP
15th February 2008, 10:06 PM
7) Palm Meadows got given a roast for lack of maintenance.I played it a few years ago and it was ordinary, and I hadn't heard that it had improved.
Unfortunately I haven't played any of the other courses listed.

Link to the list?
With a new list out, I'll have to update my list of top 100's played. It should increase assuming that Magenta and Pacific Harbour have been added.

goughy
15th February 2008, 10:08 PM
I figure I'll have still only played 1, maybe even 2!!

AndyP
15th February 2008, 10:12 PM
I figure I'll have still only played 1, maybe even 2!!Club Pelican and Pacific Harbour. Kooralbyn Valley was on there in 2004 before dropping off.

Moe Norman
15th February 2008, 10:31 PM
1) Should RM be graded as a composite? NO
2) Capital not rated, yet one architect rated it #1 Shithole
3) Is Monash underrated? Out of the top 100 Perhaps, its all academic beyong about #40 anyway
4) Is Southern overrated? Up 11 spots to 82. I know one guy who will be very happy about this:???:. Still behind Riversdale that is way overrated at 80 perhaps? I hope you guys playing it on Sunday can give some feedback. I hear the fairways are now as good as any in the country. Both overrated
5) Both Peninsula courses fell even though they have gone through major renovations for the better Heard good things about the reno's but haven't seen them
6) Runfurlie...95?? Top 50 at worst
7) Palm Meadows got given a roast for lack of maintenance. One, maybe 2 good holes. Otherwise terrible track.

goughy
15th February 2008, 10:37 PM
Club Pelican and Pacific Harbour. Kooralbyn Valley was on there in 2004 before dropping off.

I haven't played pacific harbour, so is that 1? Is bribie island, or something like that on there?

Dennis
15th February 2008, 10:49 PM
1) Should RM be graded as a composite? NO Agree
2) Capital not rated, yet one architect rated it #1 Shithole Never seen it...have you played it Moe?
3) Is Monash underrated? Out of the top 100 Perhaps, its all academic beyong about #40 anyway Disagree. It's a big source of pride for members. Also, given the standard of courses in the country, it is harder than ever to make the list. Sorrento is #99, Cranbourne didnt make it, etc.....these are great tracks
4) Is Southern overrated? Up 11 spots to 82. I know one guy who will be very happy about this:???:. Still behind Riversdale that is way overrated at 80 perhaps? I hope you guys playing it on Sunday can give some feedback. I hear the fairways are now as good as any in the country. Both overrated Not sure I agree. I rate Southern well above Riversdale. Spring Valley is 72. I think Southern is around that mark also.
5) Both Peninsula courses fell even though they have gone through major renovations for the better Heard good things about the reno's but haven't seen them
6) Runfurlie...95?? Top 50 at worst You either love it or hate it I guess. A paddock with flags, or a masterpiece. Port Fairy is better in my opinion, but it is only at 65. Barwon Heads is better also.
7) Palm Meadows got given a roast for lack of maintenance. One, maybe 2 good holes. Otherwise terrible track. I have to take your word for it. I thought it interesting that the magazine would give it a public roasting!

Py

Dennis
15th February 2008, 10:50 PM
Link to the list?

I cant find one

Just buy a copy of the mag...or better still, subscribe!

Moe Norman
15th February 2008, 11:01 PM
Pyongyang,

I haven't seen the list, so no idea where courses sit. AGD is nothing but a source for amusement when it ranks Woodlands in the 60's, I haven't looked at the list since this complete debacle.

Have played capital. It's in perfect condition, but is astoundingly offensive in its design.

About beyond 40, I mean its determined by advertising revenue or when the rankers last played the course!

Southern for mine could easily sit anywhere from 75-100 and I wouldn't bother arguing the merits of it, as long as it sits in that group. Riversdale is a worse track. Spring Valley easily better than both.

Agree that Port Fairy and Barwon Heads are in the same league as Ranfurlie, most likely better. None of these 3 should be outside the Top 40. Probably find room for a couple in the top 25.

Palm Meadows is a goat track, with a fun 18th

chappy1970
16th February 2008, 01:56 PM
Moe can I ask how you got onto the Capital? Never had an absolute desire to play it, but the mystic of the place and the difficulty in getting a game make it interesting.

Moe Norman
16th February 2008, 02:47 PM
Invited to a corporate day with UBS Warburg.

TS
16th February 2008, 05:30 PM
Moe can I ask how you got onto the Capital? Never had an absolute desire to play it, but the mystic of the place and the difficulty in getting a game make it interesting.

High roller and friends of high roller can get on quite easily.

Jarro
16th February 2008, 06:38 PM
High roller and friends of high roller can get on quite easily.

You mean he licks a lot of arse.

Boonie
18th February 2008, 12:21 PM
Spring Valley is a lot better than 72, and Southern is very lucky to make the top 100 IMO. Southern should definitely be below Sorrento.

S.Valley and Southern are not in the same league at all IMO

Dennis
18th February 2008, 01:33 PM
I think both have some strong holes, but what lets Southern down (or adds to Southern) is that the 9's are different in styling due to the way the club expanded. However, it mainly comes down to tree cover on the front 9.

I think if all the holes were styled the same (either all like to front or all like the front) it would be rated more highly.

I think Southern is definately more harder than SV (based on the fact I tend to score better at SV), but Spring Valley has some classic sandbelt feeling holes. I always enjoy playing numbers 2 and 10 for example.

Sorrento at #99 is a bit harsh. Its a very interesting and challenging course.