PDA

View Full Version : Rain gear

andylo
18th October 2004, 03:45 PM
Hmm... I think it's been brought up once (in here or other golf forum) but I just want to know what are you guys using? (If also can provide me the price and URL of the product).

And what's the best of the best too?

Edit: I plan to play even in heavy rain so I would like to get the one give me full "protection" from water.

Thanks fellas :D

AndyP
18th October 2004, 03:51 PM
I think it was amanda or GG or possibly both that was in the know with wet-weather gear.

I actually don't have any myself, except for a $10 jacket I bought at the South Melbourne Markets, specifically for use at National GC earlier this year. It was required.

I also just got a Stay-Dry towel that remains dry during the round (obviously), because it has a retractable cover..

I have more concern for my towel and clubs than myself when it comes to getting wet on the golf course. :roll:

amanda
18th October 2004, 04:20 PM
The best stuff out there is Stay-Dri rain gear. A top will set you back about $150 and the pants about $110-120. The website is:
http://www.staidri.com/default.html

This stuff keeps you absolutely dry - I remember GG telling me a story of a 15* day that was raining and windy as anything and she was toasty and warm in her Stay Dri gear. I've had similar experiences.

The only other thing that would compare is the new line by Sporte Leisure - the Stretch Lite products. They are statistically more waterproof than the Stay Dris though I don't know anyone who has tried them - they are supposed to be a little cheaper (by about $10)

http://www.sporte-leisure.com.au/sporteleisure_website/frameset_mens.html

The other wet-weather essential is to have an umbrella holder to attach to your buggy - that way you can push/pull the thing and not have to worry about holding the umbrella as well. You can also clip a towel inside the umbrella so it doesn't get wet.

McMw
18th October 2004, 04:23 PM
no matter how good the gear is, you'll still get wet...

so best to get a shirt that's like the Nike Dri-Fit...and plenty of gloves...

since it's gonna be your clubs that are hitting the ball...a good rain hood and bag cover is essential...

any rain jacket (for golf) will do...

question - isn't it coming to summer atm in aus???

amanda
18th October 2004, 04:27 PM
any rain jacket (for golf) will do...

Good point about spare gloves - just make sure they are stored in plastic zip lock bags so they don't get wet.

I've used some rain gear that is ok for light sprinkling rain, but a downpour and your stuffed! Depends on whether you would push on in absolutely miserable weather - stupid me says yes because I want to get my money's worth!

You wouldn't think it was summer in Sydney - 15C & raining today after 39C on Wednesday :shock:

markTHEblake
18th October 2004, 08:01 PM
The main advantage of wet weather gear is that it pisses your playing partners off when you are taking your time putting it all on (while they stand around getting wet).

Fishman Dan
18th October 2004, 09:34 PM
My ProLine $30 job keeps me dry, a jumper underneath keeps me warm. The only way to stay totally dry is sit in the club house.

Jarro
19th October 2004, 04:03 AM
The only way to stay totally dry is sit in the club house.

which is where you should be if it's raining :roll:

Golf is not a wet weather sport by any means.

BrisVegas
19th October 2004, 07:24 AM

Yes it is. Otherwise known as the WET SEASON in the northern states. :lol:

Fishman Dan
19th October 2004, 09:04 AM
Golf is not a wet weather sport by any means.

Now you're showing your true QLD'er colours. :roll: Scared of a bit of water are we?

I don't mind the rain, but when it's pouring or just persistent it just gets a little silly.

andylo
19th October 2004, 09:05 AM
Thanks guys. And Mandy I am looking into those website.

Anyone know where to buy them cheapie in Brisbane? Any ebay seller selling it good?

I just want to hit some ball, no matter it's wet or not. (As long as the thunder is not sounding :shock:)

Just this Sunday afternoon I was trying to muck around in Logan City GC and it starts to rain everytime I hit a good shot... sigh.

markTHEblake
19th October 2004, 11:50 AM
andy no matter what wet weather gear you get, you are going to be stinking hot inside it. Thats why i use a rainproof vest (wide shoulders) only.

Unlike the southerners, it is not freezing cold when it rains up here.

BrisVegas
19th October 2004, 11:54 AM
andy no matter what wet weather gear you get, you are going to be stinking hot inside it. Thats why i use a rainproof vest (wide shoulders) only.

A rain vest/short sleeve shirt is a great idea. I'm still looking for a decent one. Keeps your arms free to swing properly, and doesn't restrict the shoulder turn as much. As long as you chest and back is dry, you can keep on playing. 8)

I believe Tiger started wearing one a couple of years back for these very reasons. So, there's bound to be a Nike vest around the shops somewhere.

Check out this dryjoy one...
http://www.tgw.com/customer/category/product.jsp?SUBCATEGORY_ID=2340

andylo
19th October 2004, 12:17 PM
USD$130..... wow!!

But I like it :D

Dion, is this website the best place you know of to buy rain gear?

amanda
19th October 2004, 12:20 PM
Andylo - you can often pick up bargains on Ebay - TGW shipping to Oz is horrendous!

The cheapest online shop I've found for Australian shipping is myostrichgolf

BrisVegas
19th October 2004, 12:21 PM
Probably cheaper to buy in Oz. I don't really know if tgw is the best for rain gear, I've only ever bought clubs from there. You could try the local places like Golfworks, HOG, Nevada Bobs and Golf World etc. Best to shop around I'd say.

I was just showing you that item as an example of a good rain shirt.

Good luck in your search. I'll be interested to see what you end up with.

andylo
19th October 2004, 12:24 PM
Definitely will let you know.... thanks Dion :D

Flowergirl
26th October 2004, 09:50 AM
Ah.......we don't need wet weather gear down here in Victoria. It only rains in the evenings so we never have to play golf in the rain. And also it doesn't get too cold or too hot either. Perfect all the time!! Oh and so predictable - none of this four seasons in one day lark. :lol:

AndyP
26th October 2004, 09:55 AM
Ah.......we don't need wet weather gear down here in Victoria. It only rains in the evenings so we never have to play golf in the rain. And also it doesn't get too cold or too hot either. Perfect all the time!! Oh and so predictable - none of this four seasons in one day lark. :lol:
I must have been unlucky when I played at National earlier this year then. :smt017 :roll:

Ferrins
23rd February 2013, 11:26 AM
Hmm... I think it's been brought up once (in here or other golf forum) but I just want to know what are you guys using? (If also can provide me the price and URL of the product).And what's the best of the best too?Edit: I plan to play even in heavy rain so I would like to get the one give me full "protection" from water. Thanks fellas :DJust finished mowing in heavy rain at Tenterfield, was meant to be playing golf.

matty
23rd February 2013, 11:33 AM
Hope you gave your mower a bath.

Ferrins
23rd February 2013, 11:38 AM
Yep

dc68
23rd February 2013, 11:52 AM
Jeebus.... Nice thread mine.

Ferrins
23rd February 2013, 11:56 AM
I searched Footrot Flats first.

GSP
23rd February 2013, 12:16 PM
Try golfwrx they did a report for mizuno rain suit. I have the jacket and its perfect, not too hot but keeps all rain out