PDA

View Full Version : Ultimate Showdown!!!

Bruce
18th October 2004, 12:26 PM
Well I have hit a lot of different clubs over the last couple of weeks. Both at the range and in some shops. I have demo'ed pretty much everything in the "development and <$1000 for a set of irons" range.

I have swung: Prosimmon, Adams, Cougar, Brosnan, KZG, Adams, Nike, Powerbilt, and Srixon. Probably some others besides. The best of them seem to be:

Brosnan Tour CG - My first demo of a "game improvement" iron which may have caught me with stars in my eyes a bit.

Srixon I-403 - Feel quite similar to what I play with now but with the modern weighting systems. Loses a few marks due to hitting a couple of hand-breakers with them.

Adams (custom Built) - Very vanilla, but there's nothing wrong with vanilla.

Nike NDS - I was very surprised to find Nike in my price point. These are the very latest release at a great price with great looks and a very good feel. The NDS driver is also pretty good and at <$300 seems like a good buy.

Right now I am leaning towards the Nike set but am soliciting feedback on any horror stories or points that would make me reconsider other offerings.

I will be getting 3-PW, driver and bag with this purchase. I know this leaves me a gap in the longer game, but I'm not sure if I will fill that with 3w/5w or some sort of hybrid. I've tried them both and haven't quite got the hang of either of them. Will wait a while and see what my game settles down to before making that choice.

Apologies to ben who is clearly *extremely* passionate about what he does, but I am not quite in his market. Next time for sure.

I apparently swing at ~80mph which has everyone putting me in dynalite regular shafts except the Nike which has some "uniflex" system. Expecting that over time the speed will increase a little, this might not be a bad thing.

Purchase will be made this week. How exciting 8)

markTHEblake
18th October 2004, 12:36 PM
Just as long as you understand that the main difference you felt between all those clubs you hit were in the shafts not the heads.

IMHO, once you get the right shaft any of those heads will feel great.

3oneday
18th October 2004, 12:46 PM
There is a Nike Ho on here somewhere, Ducky :shock: , where are you mate :lol: .

Bruce, do yourself a favour, don't ask us, someone might tell you and golf, if you didn't already know, is a confidence game. You don't want to start with some nagging doubt from someone in here, when they may have simply been swinging bad on the day, or whatever :wink:.

I'm with Blakey (which is rare :lol: ) the shaft is what matters, my Dad has just shifted to a new set of irons with TX 90 R shafts but he reckons the new heads are the best has has owned, and the longest :wink: , really, if YOU are happy with the look of the Nikes, go hard.

By the way, I have uniflex shafts in my Callaway X14's, everyone told me they were crap and I should get them changed, that was 3 months ago :P

Cheers

Pete

McMw
18th October 2004, 01:07 PM
maybe you should also consider "out-of-season" models...cheaper...leaves you more $$$ to play with too...

Bruce
18th October 2004, 01:11 PM
Thanks guys.

As I noted above, everyone except the Nike was handing me the same shaft so maybe that was the thing that put it above the others. That and the diamond cut design thing on the back :P

The only thing that will really change my mind now is feedback like:

"Nike QC is the worst and their customer service is from the seventh layer of hell" or

"Srixon will provide you own personal cart girl to fellate you if you are unhapy with their product. It won't improve your game much, but you will feel happier about the product".

Flowergirl
26th October 2004, 01:25 PM
Gee - I'm glad I didn't bur Srixon!!! :lol:

gazgolf1
26th October 2004, 05:08 PM
Thanks guys.

Srixon will provide you own personal cart girl to fellate you if you are unhapy with their product. It won't improve your game much, but you will feel happier about the product".

Damn I knew there was a reason jarro plays Srixon. :wink:

Jarro
26th October 2004, 05:17 PM
Thanks guys.

Srixon will provide you own personal cart girl to fellate you if you are unhapy with their product. It won't improve your game much, but you will feel happier about the product".

Damn I knew there was a reason jarro plays Srixon. :wink:

Damn straight :!: \:D/

Bruce
26th October 2004, 07:54 PM
I am so wasted in service delivery. I should go into marketing.