PDA

View Full Version : Club going broke !! Advice needed

ddasey
11th February 2008, 05:58 PM
One and all

Just after a little advice really...

The story. I moved to North Brisbane from Cairns just over a year ago. I decided to join a local club to try and improve my game. So due to locality (5 min from home) and price ($517pa) I joined Pine Rivers.

Now I find out it looks like the club is going broke. The way I found this out is I went into the pro shop to pick up some balls I had won in the Ball Run down over the last month. Low and behold the pro says he can't honour the prizes as the club hasn't paid him.

Anyway found out on Saturday that this Thursday is D day. After this we will know is we have a club to go to on Saturday.

Anyway the advice I was after from all you learned people is.

What other membership options are available to me at a similar price in the north Brissie area. Unfortunately my circumstances won't allow me to extend this price out to much.

Apparently our third child (due in a month) is a little more important than my weekly game of golf :shock:

Thanks in advance :)

Dave

Jarro
11th February 2008, 06:02 PM
Come join Nudgee Dave ... one of the cheaper options available on the Northside.

Woodford and Caboolture are other good options also.

PeteyD
11th February 2008, 06:03 PM
Nudgee is pretty cheap, not as cheap as Pine Rivers, but not likely to close either. Except smart ass Jarro is a member there ... ;)

goughy
11th February 2008, 06:23 PM
I don't think you'll get much cheaper in brissie for the value. Probably won't get much cheaper anyway, unless you drive to jindalee.

goughy
11th February 2008, 06:24 PM
Otherwise go the megamembership like almost everyone else for the hc, and play in open comps around the place!

AndyP
11th February 2008, 07:08 PM
Will you lose out on your membership? Maybe another local club will offer something to the current members.

ddasey
11th February 2008, 07:11 PM
Thanks everyone. Just trying to weigh up what options I have.

I guess I will have to see what happens this week at the club.

Nudgee does appeal to me for some reason, although I have never played there. Do Ozgolfers get a kickback from the club for new membership. It seems everyone is a member of Nudgee :wink:

One of the down sides of joining Nudgee is the distance to drive. It makes it difficult only having one car and somehow I think it would be rather difficult throwing the bag over my shoulder on the motorbike :smile:

markTHEblake
11th February 2008, 07:42 PM
Dont desert the sinking ship, if you (and others do) it will most certainly go under. A club in difficulties needs its members to fight for survival not flee like rats :-)

I havent heard of a club going under yet, though some have sold up to private interests to keep it going. In other cases local councils have taken over.

ddasey
11th February 2008, 08:12 PM
Mark

I agree with you whole heartedly......

I will not desert the sinking ship, I am keep my fingers crossed for the best. Was just looking at a worst case scenario.

just
11th February 2008, 08:28 PM
A couple of options for northside (other than Nudgee) if things don't work out:
Redcliffe is about $800 per year although the noms were slightly cheaper than Nudgee's(last time I checked).
Two of the cheaper options in Brisbane would probably be Sandgate and Nudgee College, no noms and about $400 per year. They are 9 holes and nothing to write home about but at that price you can use the extra dollars to play some open comps at better courses or buy new equipment.
Just

BrisWesty
11th February 2008, 09:25 PM
Woodford is about $400, but not sure what noms are.

Deano
11th February 2008, 09:35 PM
Is that Pro Shop still a Golf King??
Don't be suprised if they buy the club/course and run it.
Deano

ddasey
11th February 2008, 10:13 PM
Thanks all for the info.

Deano as far as I am aware the pro shop still is a Golf King.

PeteyD
12th February 2008, 09:33 AM
Might be a chance to buy a golf course ... ;)

CobraSS
12th February 2008, 09:05 PM
One and all

Just after a little advice really...

The story. I moved to North Brisbane from Cairns just over a year ago. I decided to join a local club to try and improve my game. So due to locality (5 min from home) and price ($517pa) I joined Pine Rivers.

Now I find out it looks like the club is going broke. The way I found this out is I went into the pro shop to pick up some balls I had won in the Ball Run down over the last month. Low and behold the pro says he can't honour the prizes as the club hasn't paid him.

Anyway found out on Saturday that this Thursday is D day. After this we will know is we have a club to go to on Saturday.

Anyway the advice I was after from all you learned people is.

What other membership options are available to me at a similar price in the north Brissie area. Unfortunately my circumstances won't allow me to extend this price out to much.

Apparently our third child (due in a month) is a little more important than my weekly game of golf :shock:

Thanks in advance :)

Dave

Woodford, we have a lot of members from the Pine rivers area. $410 plus $180 nom but nom is $75 if you join before the end of february.

CobraSS
12th February 2008, 09:07 PM
Dont desert the sinking ship, if you (and others do) it will most certainly go under. A club in difficulties needs its members to fight for survival not flee like rats :-)

I havent heard of a club going under yet, though some have sold up to private interests to keep it going. In other cases local councils have taken over.

Pine Rivers golf club don't own the land they are on, so they have nothin to sell....

Jarro
12th February 2008, 09:09 PM
I heard from another PR member today that the club itself is OK, just the bar area is in trouble.

He said Pine Rivers bowls club was going to be taking that area over soon anyway ....