PDA

View Full Version : What happens at your course?

raidrboy
7th February 2008, 11:26 PM
I was talking to one of our members today about the condition of the course after the Xmas New Year invasion of tourists. The amount of unrepaired divots on the tees and the fairways along with the unrepaired plug marks on the greens was nothing short of disgraceful and full compliments must go to our course staff for their fine job of keeping the course in great condition. There must be many other clubs that would have been subjected to this. I know that green fee players keep the cash flow moving but at what expense? Do you folks have the same problem at your courses?

Courty
7th February 2008, 11:35 PM
We get the same problem to a certain extent. Usually on Sunday when all the ferals climb down from the trees. :roll: Luckily in our climate everything grows very quickly, so the green staff have the course looking in tip-top shape again by the next Saturday.

Fishman Dan
8th February 2008, 12:16 AM
We aren't allowed to have public tees, the blow-in's complain they pay full price for 'half a course'. Therefore they play off the whites/blacks as we do and chop the place up.

We have to have 2 hours of public before comp, and a fair share afterwards as well. Council run courses are the shits, but what are you going to do?

goughy
8th February 2008, 06:39 AM
The members at my course do enough damage, let alone the social players.

3oneday
8th February 2008, 08:09 AM
Yep, every January the course is in crap condition. You can't knock the income though, it keeps the members fees to a reasonable level ;)

Andrew
8th February 2008, 08:15 AM
Just don't let the riff-raff on.

mikezone13
8th February 2008, 08:35 AM
We aren't allowed to have public tees, the blow-in's complain they pay full price for 'half a course'. Therefore they play off the whites/blacks as we do and chop the place up.

I agree with all of that though regarding green fees, if I play socially I want to be able to choose the tees I play from. Tees played should be based on ability (although a social game off the blue/black plates is a bit silly).

3oneday
8th February 2008, 08:38 AM
Tees played should be based on ability (although a social game off the blue/black plates is a bit silly).and how will the guy taking the money know that though ?

Most social golfers I know would prefer to play the course at it's full length, hacker or not.

miro
8th February 2008, 08:41 AM
I agree with all of that though regarding green fees, if I play socially I want to be able to choose the tees I play from. Tees played should be based on ability (although a social game off the blue/black plates is a bit silly).

Sorry Mike but no way. We are fully private but have an open day for members of other clubs. The tees are always as short as possible. You don't want to play those tees go play somewhere else.

Moe Norman
8th February 2008, 08:57 AM
the public aren't allowed to play my course

mikezone13
8th February 2008, 09:09 AM
and how will the guy taking the money know that though ?

Most social golfers I know would prefer to play the course at it's full length, hacker or not.

That is true, put simply, if you are a member of another club and you can vouch for the ability of your non-member playing mates the longer tees should be open to you.

If no one in the group is a member of club/have AGU h'cap then play off the social tees.

Or the other option of course is to have a different fee payable for which tee you play off.

Sorry Mike but no way. We are fully private but have an open day for members of other clubs. The tees are always as short as possible. You don't want to play those tees go play somewhere else.

I'm sure that when you both play socially away from "home" you prefer to play the course at it's true length, not off tees that are in front of the ladies tees.

I have no problem with the concept of "public/social tees" just be fair to those of us that are 'reasonable golfers' and would like courses not to be drive/3w/hybrid, pitch, putt (well maybe 3 putt).

Fishman Dan
8th February 2008, 10:01 AM

On a small course like ours it's somewhat understandable, but you're talking 5-10 metres on all tees except for perhaps the Index 1 (420m par 4), where they can get up to 30m head set. Probably the best tee box though.

Some of the tee's at Gordon are shocking.

Fishman Dan
8th February 2008, 10:06 AM

You spent $5k just to be able to post that.

Thanks for the update.

Sydney Hacker
8th February 2008, 10:06 AM

We have to have 2 hours of public before comp, and a fair share afterwards as well. Council run courses are the shits, but what are you going to do?

I am the first to complain about the condition of the course Dan, but you also have to factor in that playing/membership at Gordon is a damn site cheaper then anywhere else in that part of Sydney, so you have to accept the trade-off.

Fishman Dan
8th February 2008, 10:09 AM
SH - true... hence the final sentence.

Speaking of which we'll be damn lucky to get on this weekend if there is so much as a heavy dew tomorrow morning!

Sydney Hacker
8th February 2008, 10:12 AM
SH - true... hence the final sentence.

Speaking of which we'll be damn lucky to get on this weekend if there is so much as a heavy dew tomorrow morning!

I am supposed to be off around 8.00 in the morning, so I will have to pack a couple of extra pair of socks I think since I hate trudging around in wet shoes and socks.

That is the plus about playing at a council run course, they very rarely close it due to bad weather!

What part of Sydney do you actually live in ?

3oneday
8th February 2008, 10:26 AM
Be only $50 to join a private course in Brisbane wouldn't it ?

;)

Fishman Dan
8th February 2008, 10:42 AM
Be only $50 to join a private course in Brisbane wouldn't it ?

;)

As long as you meet the high dress standards of neat blue bonds singlet.

Sydney Hacker
8th February 2008, 10:52 AM
As long as you meet the high dress standards of neat blue bonds singlet.

Hang on, the dress code at Gordon is not exactly high either! and if I think back the joining fee was $50 as well...

(Being a native Qldr I still consider it my duty to defend the state!!!)

3oneday
8th February 2008, 10:54 AM
:lol: :lol:

Justin504
8th February 2008, 11:25 AM
I don't know if this happens elsewhere, but one of the council run courses I play actually charge $2 for a sand bucket. You can keep it for $2 or return it and get your money back. And they wonder why there are unfilled divots everywhere.:roll:

Moe Norman
8th February 2008, 08:01 PM
You spent $5k just to be able to post that.

Thanks for the update.was going to call you rif raf, but someone beat me to it.

Fishman Dan
8th February 2008, 08:04 PM
I always considered myself more of a Brad Majors type.

rocket
8th February 2008, 08:25 PM

Moe your at Brisbane are you not? for a fee anyone can walk on there if you are prepared to pay, that has been my experience anyway.

Moe Norman
8th February 2008, 08:33 PM
nope, its 100% private. There is no unaccompanied access fee, but they do have 'gourmet golf' one friday a month where you pay about $120 and play a shotgun event with lunch included.

rocket
8th February 2008, 08:36 PM
I hate to tell you this but i have been in the pro shop when they had a couple of walkins it was about 12 months ago and they paid $75 for a round, my mate is a member there and he was a bit horrified when he saw it, but it happened not sure how common it is, also what about the social clubs there every other sunday?

Moe Norman
8th February 2008, 08:52 PM
I don't really care.

But walk-ins get shown the door, they may have been lax in the past - but they aren't now.

Head in there and ask for a game, see what happens.

BrisVegas
8th February 2008, 09:12 PM
my gut feeling is that the members at my course do their fair share of damage too. I think some of these guys that have taken up the game as (wealthy) adults, don't give a **** about etiquette and feel it's their right to do whatever they want as they're "paying good money" for their membership.

PeteyD
11th February 2008, 05:52 PM
Interesting article I read about the number of divots creating havoc at the Old course. Mainly due to changes in equipment and playing styles that promote big fatass divots. Greens staff are having a hell of a time keeping up. Maybe they need to implement a sand bucket regime like we have ;)