PDA

View Full Version : Coaching in Sydney req'd

Fishman Dan
13th May 2004, 09:40 AM
Gang,

Desperate times call for desperate measures. Being that there aren't many (any?) other Sydney golfers here, i am relying on your worthy contacts. If you (or your current coach/Pro) can put me onto a good lead, then i'd be grateful.

Does anyone know of any (good) golf pro's in Sydney. I'm aware that pretty much any instructor will assist me, but it's always good to get recommendations. I'm trying to get booked in with Ian Passwell @ Ryde-Parramatta, but he's too often busy.

The other limiting factor is that i'm a regular 9-5'er, so after hours is required. I don't always get a parking spot at work, and i don't want to leave the clubs in the boot when i'm parked in the back streets of Parramatta so days will vary.

Don't ask much, do i? :roll:

Fishman Dan
13th May 2004, 10:03 AM
That's what i'm basing my thoughts on. Did you have anything to do with the rebuild of Ryde-Parra? The course has a good reputation, so i'm sure the pro has one that follows suit. I've spoken to him, he's pretty old-school, just the problem of getting the appointment.

I would wait for an opening, but it's probably going to cost me more in lost Hogan's and TA2's than to get a lesson from another reputable pro.

terryand
13th May 2004, 11:38 AM
Fishy, try your local driving range,it coud be worth a go.They most days work into the night as well.

if you don't like him go to the next closest range.

Terry.

Golfgirl
13th May 2004, 05:09 PM
I'll ask Matt and Shaun if they know a good pro at Sydney who can help you - otherwise you'll have to make the drive to Shellharbour.... (If you want a game down here sometime - just let me know. :D )

Fishman Dan
13th May 2004, 05:31 PM
I'll ask Matt and Shaun if they know a good pro at Sydney who can help you - otherwise you'll have to make the drive to Shellharbour.... (If you want a game down here sometime - just let me know. :D )

Recommendations go a long way for me ;) Appareciate it.
I was thinking on the drive home my real question should have been this;

Do more exclusive clubs tend to attract a better qualified/reputable/proven coachs? Would it be more beneficial going to one of the nearby private courses (Ryde-Parramattal, Oatlands, Muirfield, Killara etc), or would I be equally rewarded if i were to go to the Pro at the driving range?

Golfgirl
13th May 2004, 05:54 PM
Dan - Matt said that he met a pro from Concord Golf Club at a seminar in Sydney whom he thought was really good.... his name is Glenn Phillips.

As to whether their is a correlation between location and quality of teaching pro - I have been to exclusive courses and seen both good and bad instructors, I have been to driving ranges and seen both good and bad instructors... I think that reputation/recommendations are probably a better way of deciding than "location", and I think that teaching pros are very much "horses for courses" - whom I love as a teacher you might not and vice versa. You need to find someone with whom you "click".

Trung
13th May 2004, 07:11 PM
Glenn Phillips at Concord is a top coach, he is only a 9-5 tho. I had 2 lessons with him last May.

If you need to do it after hours, come down and meet me at Olympic Park one night. I have other good coaches there to help you. :D

jaster
13th May 2004, 07:58 PM
Great work trung!!!! :smt038

Fishman Dan
13th May 2004, 09:05 PM
Glenn Phillips at Concord is a top coach, he is only a 9-5 tho. I had 2 lessons with him last May.

If you need to do it after hours, come down and meet me at Olympic Park one night. I have other good coaches there to help you. :D

Trung - deal! I've got a spot at work tomorrow so clubs are coming with. I'll get in touch.

Does Kahn Pullen coach there? Seen his name at the Parra House of Golf shop.

Trung
13th May 2004, 09:09 PM
Fishy,

Mon, Tues, Wed (before 8.30pm) and Thurs nights are all good.

Just PM me a msg whenever you like to meet up.

Trung
13th May 2004, 09:16 PM
Fishy, you must have read my mind. As soon as I clicked "submit" with my last post, I got a msg that a private msg in my inbox :shock:

AndyP
13th May 2004, 11:38 PM
GG, are you getting golf lonely? :(

Golfgirl
14th May 2004, 09:23 AM
Yeah AndyP - I'm "golf" lonely.... :(

Fishman Dan
14th May 2004, 10:42 AM
How do you guys rate that club ?

Talk to your people, get them to talk to my people, and i'll do a complete course review for you ;)

Fishman Dan
14th May 2004, 01:37 PM
I said club review, not course review...nincompoop !

Fine, i'll review the course, the pro, the pro shop, the teaching pro, the junior pro, the cigarette machine and best of all, the bar. Just start talking to your people!!

Fishman Dan
14th May 2004, 01:54 PM
How the hell can my people get in contact with your people. All your people will be at the star trak convention at Young this weekend....bloody IT geeks ! :shock:

That's a harsh one to come back from...
Goughy! He's either gone completely off topic or he's posting in the wrong thread! RULING PLEASE!

There's a Star Trek convention in Young?? :?

Note: I have never, and will never, be a Star Trek watching nerd. Hell, i think Red Dwarf is funny but i don't run around calling people "Smeg Head" all the time. :roll:

AndyP
14th May 2004, 07:50 PM
How the hell can my people get in contact with your people. All your people will be at the star trak convention at Young this weekend....bloody IT geeks ! :shock:
:lol: :lol: :lol: Ouch!

Fishman Dan
14th May 2004, 09:58 PM
Back to the topic at hand... had a lesson tonight. Subtle changes to grip, swing path and stance. It's all new. When i hit them well, it was great. When i didn't, i knifed it 45* :shock:

Back to the range tomorrow, see if anything stuck.

Trung
14th May 2004, 10:19 PM
Fishy,
Listen to the coach, you will improve your scores. Back to Olympic Park tomorrow? Let me know, I'm available after 11.30am. (should finish my morning round by then) :wink:

by the way you can change 45* to 45° :lol:

Fishman Dan
14th May 2004, 11:56 PM
Fishy,
Listen to the coach, you will improve your scores. Back to Olympic Park tomorrow? Let me know, I'm available after 11.30am. (should finish my morning round by then) :wink:

by the way you can change 45* to 45° :lol:

I'd rather change 45 to 180 - that means i'm hitting them straight ;)
While some of you are playing pennants, i'm paying pennance. Me and the missus are spending quality time together.... before i come home, watch the rest of the AFL, then take off to either Olympic Park or Macquarie range ;)

AndyP
15th May 2004, 12:08 AM
I'd rather change 45 to 180 - that means i'm hitting them straight

That means you are hitting them backwards. :shock: That's pretty ordinary. :wink:

Golfgirl
15th May 2004, 09:44 AM
Hang in there Fishy - I'm in the throes of swing changes myself - so you have my complete sympathy.... :D

Fishman Dan
15th May 2004, 08:28 PM
Went back to the range tonight. I've got an early tee time tomorrow and i couldn't front up completely lacking confidence.

Much better. The new grip is second nature, and although the swing path feels different, the result is much prettier to watch in flight! Thing is I don't know if i've gained/lost any distance with my irons, but seeing as though i couldn't hit them straight beforehand i guess it doesn't matter ;)

Now i'm only mildly lacking in confidence...

Golfgirl
16th May 2004, 09:30 AM
Unfortunately, you just gotta trust in the new swing - easier typed than done... :lol:

Let us know how you get on... and I wouldn't be surprised if you pick up some distance with your irons... :D