PDA

View Full Version : Ashgrove GC

SupaSubi
3rd February 2008, 06:03 PM
has anyone here played Ashgrove golf course (10km west of brisbane)

- from what i've read its really quite tight, with some odd hole designs, but its cheap and close to me. i like to play golf before work, so close to me is a major consideration. and i'm a student so i'm poor :mrgreen:

thanks

jaybam
3rd February 2008, 06:12 PM
yeah mate played there a few times and really not a fan. A lot of irons off tees and yeah some really stupid pointless holes. Drive the extra distance from your place and go to keperra. Oh also a lot of hills to walk up and down at ashgrove if you dont mind that.

gazgolf1
3rd February 2008, 06:39 PM
Goat track.

AndyP
3rd February 2008, 07:54 PM
I'll believe it's a course requiring a helmet. There's some holes that are packed in pretty closely. It depends what you want out of your golf. I've only played it a couple of times, and it's relatively low on my return list.

Moe Norman
3rd February 2008, 08:40 PM
terrible track.

room for about 10 holes and they managed to squeeze 18 in somehow.

Deano
3rd February 2008, 09:19 PM
If you must play there, hire a cart, it's a killer to walk.
Couple of OK holes but basically a goat track.
Deano

Stoney
4th February 2008, 10:21 AM
Goat track.

What he said

Courty
4th February 2008, 06:20 PM
I'll believe it's a course requiring a helmet.

What he said.

I played it once and had 3 near misses! :shock:

Jarro
4th February 2008, 06:26 PM
Surely it'd be fine for some before-work Golf for a struggling student ??

damoocow
4th February 2008, 08:25 PM
As an 18 hole track Ashgrove does leave a lot to be desired, however it is an interesting course to play every now and then - as long as you have adequate hospital cover - certainly don't need a driver on any hole as I recall - the best 3 holes are actually the ones across the little road that intersects the course - at least they had some room there.....

damoocow

goughy
4th February 2008, 09:29 PM
If it fits your budget and it's close by then go for it. You still get to play golf.

Deano
11th February 2008, 08:38 PM
As an 18 hole track Ashgrove does leave a lot to be desired, however it is an interesting course to play every now and then - as long as you have adequate hospital cover - certainly don't need a driver on any hole as I recall - the best 3 holes are actually the ones across the little road that intersects the course - at least they had some room there.....

damoocow

Yep, the 2 par 4's over the road are fine.
Deano

damoocow
11th February 2008, 08:55 PM
Yep, the 2 par 4's over the road are fine.
Deano

Not sure what hole number it is , but that 1st par 4 across the road with the downhill approach to the green is one of my favourite golf holes

damoocow

Gollfer69
17th May 2014, 01:08 PM
terrible track.

room for about 10 holes and they managed to squeeze 18 in somehow.
Wow..just wow.
I was out there yesterday and had my first look at Ashgrove in over twenty years.
A few issues with balls carving right into houses on 18.

Wow.that is the tightest muther****er of a track i have ever seen. Makes you wonder how it could have been with 9, unsqueezed holes rather than trying to force 18.
18 is a cracker....play along the lest of the creek and the fairway runs out at 175m...hit it in there and it runs hard right towards the creek..not even sure if it pulls up in time.
One the other side of a creek you can clear it at 120m but then it runs along and does a mirror image of the left side...runs hard towards the creek. No way should a golf hole have been built here.

Only glanced around a few other holes but no way could I get it around there. The aerial photo looks even worse.
It smashes Wolly Park ad most dangerous in Bris.

MegaWatty
17th May 2014, 01:11 PM
Did you shake their hand and wish them all the best?

AndyP
17th May 2014, 03:06 PM
Ive played it several times over the last few years and I've never gone anywhere near the creek on 18. High right is where I finish. It must be a bunter's thing.

They fit 18 holes in by having several 90 degree doglegs.