PDA

View Full Version : 2008 Womens Open at Kingston Heath

Flowergirl
2nd February 2008, 09:19 AM
John and I went for a look yesterday at Kingston Heath and watched the Women"s Open. We followed Lindsay Wright around and kept an eye on Karrie Webb who was in the group ahead. The conditions were perfect and the course condition faultless. I was surprised not to see better scores -not many in the red.
Great to see them bang their drives - I wish I could be as flexible and strong.
Now - I need you guys to answer this. All the girls wore either shorts and short skirts - makes sense cos it was warm. How come none of the guys on tour were shorts?

just
2nd February 2008, 09:23 AM
Talking about flexible did you see Sakura Yokomine's backswing? She was in Webb's group and I'm sure she almost does a full 360.

Jarro
2nd February 2008, 09:24 AM
Talking about flexible did you see Sakura Yokomine's backswing? She was in Webb's group and I'm sure she almost does a full 360.

She sure has one helluva backswing :shock:

From what i saw of her yesterday though, she drove it pretty straight most times, and outdrove Karrie as well ;)

goughy
2nd February 2008, 10:04 AM
Who likes short shorts? I like short shorts........... on chicks! The guys, not to worried about them.

I would say it's a tradition thing with the dudes. But since the collared shirt is out who could care. I've wondered for years why they put up with wearing pants in stinking hot weather.

Courty
2nd February 2008, 10:19 AM
Years ago when the Super Skins was played at Skase's Mirage Resort in Port Douglas, Greg Norman, John Daly, Jumbo Izaki & Nick Faldo all wore shorts.

Toolish
2nd February 2008, 11:13 AM
PGA tour regs don't let em wear shorts...why...i don't know!

That said short shorts look good on someone like Sarah Kemp, but not sure I want to see Tim Herron in them!

PeteyD
2nd February 2008, 10:24 PM
They don;t let caddies wear shorts either. Nice to see some golf on TV, even with the ABC coverage. And Jan Stephenson still reminds me of bathtubs full of golfballs.

Grunt
3rd February 2008, 08:39 AM
Caddies wear shorts Pete. Steve Williams (Tiger's Caddy) is regularly in them. I think The Masters is the only place where the caddies cant wear shorts and they wear the overalls.

dan
3rd February 2008, 09:50 AM
They don't let the guys wear shorts because it just doesn't look good.

Fishman Dan
3rd February 2008, 05:54 PM
What guts shown by Karrie. Did the hard work when required, particularly the birdie on 16.

Great to see the playoff won with a birdie too. All credit to the Korean girl - didn't lose the tournament but was beaten.

markTHEblake
3rd February 2008, 06:12 PM
How come none of the guys on tour were shorts?

because the majority of the audience are not pooftas

AndyP
3rd February 2008, 08:59 PM
I watched a fair chunk of the Women's Open today, and it was great play by Webb to come back and win it from two shots down (and finding fairway bunkers).

Webster
3rd February 2008, 09:05 PM
I went on Thursday and Friday and it was very enjoyable. The crowds were quite large for a weekday and I understand they were huge today. It just shows that if you put these events on at our best courses then the public will support them.

It is also now official that womens golf has moved on from the fat chicks era - the girls now are very much athletes who dress well and have plenty of game. Some very tidy sorts were in the field and they can play. Great stuff.

Fishman Dan
3rd February 2008, 09:12 PM
It is also now official that womens golf has moved on from the fat chicks era - the girls now are very much athletes who dress well and have plenty of game. Some very tidy sorts were in the field and they can play. Great stuff.

That's not quite correct Jack - that Korean kiddy is barely 'svelt'. Although that young Pommy girl shows there's real hope in the sport.

Bruce
3rd February 2008, 09:27 PM
Good result for everyone here.

Young up-and-comers coming up. The local hero coming home with the chocolates. A good crowd, some TV support.

Lots of wins.

markTHEblake
3rd February 2008, 09:35 PM
Karrie must be dating a younger woman now.

kev
3rd February 2008, 10:05 PM
Had plans to go today, but ended up having to look after the kids. What a missed opportunity :smt013

Ended up just catching the playoff. Not happy.

Webster
3rd February 2008, 10:29 PM
Karrie must be dating a younger woman now.

Rumours suggest she is back on the **** Blakey.

AndyP
3rd February 2008, 10:38 PM
Lovely.

That Joanne Mills (I think that was her name) was a lovely sort. I don't think I've seen legs so fine before.

Jarro
4th February 2008, 05:51 AM
Great win to Webb ... really performed when she was under the pump.

Those drives down 18 were awesome, particularly the one on the second playoff hole ... 250 + :)

3oneday
4th February 2008, 09:31 AM
That's not quite correct Jack - that Korean kiddy is barely 'svelt'. I doubt they will have a field full of hotties ever, but not long ago it seemed all the good golfers were Laura Davies sized, Karrie included ;).

PeteyD
4th February 2008, 09:51 AM
Yea, Karrie looks half the woman she once was. The English girl that came third was a bit alright.

BrisVegas
4th February 2008, 04:31 PM
well played. how solid is karrie's swing! she hit 3 drives and then 3 approaches to almost the exact same spots on the 18th hole and the two playoffs. Talk about repeatable.

oz
4th February 2008, 04:39 PM
Great players do amazing things when the heat is on. 3 holes to go and there is no way Webb wins that tournament. Clutch golf.

The young English girl, Reid, was easy on the eye and had plenty of game, too.

The 2 aussie amateurs, Smith & Flood, also look like the real deal. Big futures ahead.

Lindsey Wright is from my old home club. Tough to see her have such a battle on the greens on Sunday. Solid tournament for her, although it would feel like a missed opportunity. Plenty more to come for her, I'm sure.

PeteyD
4th February 2008, 04:44 PM
Lindsey Wright wore a shocking shirt, that was her downfall. Webb was truly awesome coming home like she did. The little sumo girl was pretty impressive golf wise too. No wonder whe is #7 in the world.

Jarro
4th February 2008, 05:36 PM
There are still a few lard-arses out there Dick ... there always will be.

shazza_rs
4th February 2008, 05:41 PM
this thread is useless without pics!!!!

AndyP
4th February 2008, 06:29 PM
Lovely.

That Joanne Mills (I think that was her name) was a lovely sort. I don't think I've seen legs so fine before.

Hold the phone..I caught a glimse of an absolute shocker on Sunday arvo.
She was a dead ringer for that chick from Shallow Hal..and no, not Gwenny.I think we are talking about the same chick, 69.

Eag's
4th February 2008, 07:12 PM
I saw one chick who had a head like a dropped pie :shock:
Mind you there were a few stunners as well =P~

shazza_rs
4th February 2008, 07:18 PM
cuz its alllll about the looks isn't it fellas?!!!!

Eag's
4th February 2008, 07:19 PM

Damn straight girl ;)

jaybam
4th February 2008, 07:22 PM
thats the reason to watch

just
4th February 2008, 07:30 PM
Shaz

I was watching for the golf. I thought Melissa Reid's swing was especially pure.;)

markTHEblake
4th February 2008, 07:56 PM
Would love to see Shazza doing a perve factor review on the next Ozgolf day - :-)

kev
4th February 2008, 08:33 PM

If it's good enough for Jan Stephenson to say the ladies should use their looks (http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2008/01/30/1201369226578.html), it's good enough for me :)

kev
4th February 2008, 08:36 PM
well played. how solid is karrie's swing! she hit 3 drives and then 3 approaches to almost the exact same spots on the 18th hole and the two playoffs. Talk about repeatable.

I was thinking more along the lines of it took her three goes to get it right... ;)

But you're right there. Repeatability under pressure. Great stuff

Moe Norman
4th February 2008, 08:45 PM
Hold the phone..I caught a glimse of an absolute shocker on Sunday arvo.
She was a dead ringer for that chick from Shallow Hal..and no, not Gwenny.
perhaps it was Jack in the background?

shazza_rs
5th February 2008, 01:38 PM
poor bastard

PeteyD
5th February 2008, 01:50 PM
No wonder his horse runs fast ...

Courty
10th February 2008, 05:49 PM
The little Korean sheila missed a 2-footer to force a playoff. Some pommy chick won.

mike
10th February 2008, 07:14 PM
I watched most of this but missed the last hour.

That little Korean chick was so freakin accurate with her woods.

Surprised she didn't win it.

Why is it called the Ladies Masters ? Should be Ladies Mistresses.