PDA

View Full Version : Advice on Lob Wedge shots.

Flowergirl
16th October 2004, 11:00 AM
I would like some help on playing lob wedge shots. From what lies, distances etc etc do you guys play this shot?????? ( i have a 60 & a 56 - the latter I mainly use for bunker shots)

I find that I am very inconsistant with this shot and tend to leave it for the practise fairway. I tend not to trust myself with the shot when playing a match but I know that with confidence it will help me a lot. My home course is pretty hilly with elevated greens etc. so it would be very handy.

I'd love your input. :P

Andrew
16th October 2004, 02:14 PM
I mainly use my 60deg for short lob shots & rarely with a full swing.

It's one of my best clubs & the thing that really helped me was to realise I had to swing through the ball a little bit harder than my other wedges because the ball pops up so quickly.

It takes a bit of confidence though, so try it on the practice fairway first.

marcel
16th October 2004, 03:37 PM
Fg,

had this very discussion with my playing partner today.
As Andrew said, practice practice; somewhere/sometime when the result doesn't matter. Getting confidence over these shots is all important for reproducing the touch when needed.

Ona
16th October 2004, 05:06 PM
dont decelerate, dont close the clubface

Ducky
16th October 2004, 06:06 PM
Your 56° wedge should only be used in the bunkers (as you have been), as the larger bounce size will make it very easy to hit your shots/chips thin if you have a lie that is relatively firm.

Your 60° wedge should be used anywhere inside around 50m, where you need to get the ball to stop relatively quickly (which I find is really hard with a half pitching wedge).

I have been practicing two main shots with the 60° wedge as of late, with really good success. They are off the Butch Harmon DVD, I will see if I can upload the specific section for you to have a look at.

Kind regards,

Ben (Ducky).

Fishman Dan
16th October 2004, 06:54 PM
I've just chucked a 60 in the bag, an old MacGregor unloved and recovered from a mates house (non-golfer).

Generally use up to about 40 metres, anything further i drop back to the 56 and open up my stance.

Today worked well for me, just make sure you commit your swing to the shot and complete the follow-through. I got up and over obstacles today i doubt i would have otherwise. I also used it in the sand to great effect.

Used today out of the rough, regular fairway and even bare dirt lies with good results. Pity about every other club in the bag. :roll:

markTHEblake
16th October 2004, 11:10 PM
I bought a lob wedge about 15 years ago, couldnt for the life of me figure out how to work it (Why dont these damn things come with instructions). Traded it in for a 1 iron.

Never had the urge to use a lob wedge since. I would estimate that I am penalised by not having such a club about once in 10rounds.

IMHO you dont need one

However as you insist :-) the problem most people have with a Lobbie is trying to hit it up in the air. You dont have to do that, becuase the club gets the ball airborne naturally. Apply reverse psychology and try to hit low chips or pitches with the lobbie and watch it go nice and high with some solid spin.

AndyP
17th October 2004, 09:27 AM
FG, I am in the same boat as you, as I have been struggling with my 58° wedge. I especially try to avoid full swing shots with it.

I too, am interested in the advice being provided by our fellow members.

drunken
17th October 2004, 10:24 AM
I think Blakey's spot on with this one. I know that most people (myself included) try and scoop the ball up when hitting the lob wedge. The thing is there's that much loft on it all you need to do is hit it normally to get it in the air. I tend to find it easier to hit if you move it towards the centre of your stance.

Fishman Dan
17th October 2004, 10:49 AM
Never had the urge to use a lob wedge since. I would estimate that I am penalised by not having such a club about once in 10rounds.

I see your point having never used one before last weekend, but after yesterdays round i can see a need. We've all got different ways of interpreting those shots 'around the green', but the 60 added a new dimension for me.

terryand
17th October 2004, 11:04 AM
Lobbies are a fickle creature.

You either got it or you ain't.I believe that one is born with the ability to use a lob wedge, this is an art you just can't teach and no amount of practice can help the cause, sure you can become capable with the lobby,but its not the same as one that is born with "IT".

I truely believe that we lefties are born with the art of the lob wedge.

Just look at Phil, he can make that club stand up and perform like know one else, as can I being a lefty. I hold no fears with my lobby, to me it just the shortest iron in the bag.

Terry.

McMw
17th October 2004, 02:01 PM
depending on what kind of shot you want to play with the lobbie???

for the 50-60-70 mtr shots, I don't even bother using the lob (58)
I use my 53, unless I really have to carry the ball high...

but then, I use my lobbie more from around the greens, up to abt 10-15 mtrs away...

and a great tip I've picked up on, and added to my shot selection, did come from lefty...

he basically said to have the shaft perpendicular, or almost behind the ball at address, and just swing thru...ball pops up so quickly, and stops so softly...
it's a scary shot for most ppl tho - coz all they can see is how much the leading edge sits up off the ground.... :shock:

the one tip I've learnt and use is to always remember that to get the ball up, you must hit down... :wink:

BrisVegas
17th October 2004, 07:15 PM
I use my lob wedge almost exclusively out of greenside bunkers now. Most of my golf is at Brookwater, where the bunkers are quite deep, so I need all the loft I can get. I also use it for pitch shots into greens when the ball needs to carry most of the way to the hole. The sand iron is only used when the grass or sand is very thick and fluffy and there's a risk of the lobbie going clean under the ball.

Like anyone will tell you, I just hit down on it to produce a high, soft ball flight. I'd never take a full swing with a lob wedge (or sand wedge for that matter), so only use it out to about 50-60 metres. 8)

Flowergirl
18th October 2004, 08:50 AM
Thanks guys for your input. :D
McMw - I too find my best results is when I have the shaft perpendicular or behind. Isn't it funny that because I've been told to have the hands forward I think I'm "doing it wrong" even though it works for me! I will approach this shot with more confidence in future.

When I play at courses other than my home course I don't need this kind of shot very often - but on my home course there are a lot of small elevated greens that can be very unforgiving.

And yes - must remember - hit down to hit up.

Thanks again guys and keep the advice coming. :wink:

AndyP
18th October 2004, 10:09 AM
After all my whinging about how I can't use the lofted wedges, I had a good day with them yesterday. :roll: Hopefully it stays that way.

I guess it is very much a confidence thing and trusting the club.

Iain
18th October 2004, 11:00 AM
Thats the key Andy.... :smt023 :smt023

Flowergirl
19th October 2004, 10:11 AM

Keeping this in mind I had a practise before work this morning. Picked out a target,visualised the shot, practise swing, trusted the club and hit it.
80% were great shots, 10% were ok and 10% were crap.
This is so much better than my previous practise sessions. Don't know if I'm confident enough to try it out in a comp - ah what the heck!!! Tomorrow - if I'm in that position - I will execute a perfect lob shot onto the green ( just next to the pin is asking a wee too much) with confidence. I'll think of you guys and all will be good :lol:

AndyP
19th October 2004, 10:24 AM
Tomorrow - if I'm in that position - I will execute a perfect lob shot onto the green ( just next to the pin is asking a wee too much) with confidence.
Actually you are not asking enough of yourself.
You should be trying to put it in the hole, if you are close enough. Why aim for somewhere around the hole?
(I'm sorry if I sound preachy after reading some Rotella material. :wink: I am now an expert. :roll:)

Iain
19th October 2004, 10:27 AM
Actually you are not asking enough of yourself.
You should be trying to put it in the hole, if you are close enough. Why aim for somewhere around the hole?
(I'm sorry if I sound preachy after reading some Rotella material. :wink: I am now an expert. :roll:)
Oh my, what have I created.... :wink:

Flowergirl
19th October 2004, 10:47 AM
Yep.sounds good Andy - BUT - It's me hitting the shot not this Rotella guy. On the green will be just fine thanks :wink:

McMw
19th October 2004, 11:31 AM
BUT - It's me hitting the shot not this Rotella guy.

without a doubt - one of the best reponse I've read against Rotella... :D

mike
19th October 2004, 04:47 PM
I've never hit a 60° wedge and have no intention trying. My most lofted club is a 57° SW which I use out of the sand and only out of the sand.
I've tried it around the greens and from 10, 20 , 30 metres out and can't for the life of me work out how to use it. Just can't judge the distance as well as I can my PW. Seems the harder I hit it , the higher it goes. The distance varies depending on God knows what.