PDA

View Full Version : Ambrose Strategy

senecio
15th October 2004, 02:05 PM
Ok,

Tell me what your strategy is for a 2-ball ambrose. I've only played in 4-ball Ambrose's before and our strategy usually goes along the line of, everyone try to belt the crap out of it an hopefully 1 of the 4 drives should come off.

I've got a 2-ball Ambrose next weekend and I think that one of us should take it a little easier off the tee. I play off 10 and my mate will be playing off 17 (he's a burglar, should be off 12). Nick probably hits a bigger ball than I do but isn't as consistent, although he does hit a mean 1-iron from the tee.

Any thoughts

Ryan

BrisVegas
15th October 2004, 02:28 PM
2-person ambrose???.... hhmmm. That's a tough one. I'm sure someone smart like blakey will have a better anwer for you, but....

If you're more consistent off the tee, you should tee off last on every hole. He might just hit a few long bombs down the middle for you, when he's under no pressure. If he's a better chipper or putter than you, then switch the order around as required.

It's important to give yourselves a chance for birdie on every hole. You can't do that from the trees or fairway traps, so it's up to you to hit the fairway if your mate misses. If he misses the green with the approach, don't shoot at a tight pin. Just go for the safe play. Better to have two longish putts than a recovery shot.

I play a 4 person ambrose once a month with my wife and other couples from our neighbourhood. Basically, the ladies shots are never used until we start putting, so I am used to a bit of pressure on tee shots. I'd usually back myself to hit a fairway under pressure, but it's allways nice when the other guy finds the fairway and I can have a crack at one!

When we get to the greens, however, I usually putt first to show the girls the line (they're non-golfers) and then let them have a go at it. The other guy then has had the benefit of looking at a few putts and no pressure because the better player has already missed!

amanda
15th October 2004, 02:31 PM
Our strategy is usually for the more consistent person to hit first, then the 2nd person lets it rip!

markTHEblake
15th October 2004, 11:19 PM
our strategy usually goes along the line of, everyone try to belt the crap out of it an hopefully 1 of the 4 drives should come off.

Thats a really bad strategy man. The only sensible strategy is to tee off in order from worst golfer to the best. The idea is that the first golfer needs to put a ball in play- doesnt matter where as long as its playable, then the next guy only has to do better than that. In a perfect world each shot is an improvement over the previous, therfore there is no pressure on anybody and everybody contributes.

and the bottom line is that if the first three golfers have hit out of bounds, you want the best golfer hitting last.

This strategy gets a bit screwy if the best golfer is not the longest hitter. You just need to adapt this to your own circumstances.

In your case their is a big difference between 10 and 17 handicap. If he is not consistent then you probably dont want to trust him when the pressures on. I suggest you get him to hit first off every tee with that mean 1 iron.