PDA

View Full Version : Jimandr v Matt3jab Strathfield 25 Feb, Jimandr wins 4&3

jimandr
28th January 2008, 04:56 PM
EDITED 1ST POST again (and again)

Result of Match: Jimandr 4&3

Game scores: Matt3jab 35pts, Jimandr 32pts (more details in later posts)

We are going to try for Strathfield on Monday, 25 Feb, about midday (time confirmed).

This will be our third attempt to get the match underway. I just hope we don't have to go to extra holes and/or need to have a replay.

Grunt
28th January 2008, 04:59 PM
Love to join you but am working. Might get more interest if I am not playing anyway ;)

mikezone13
28th January 2008, 09:25 PM
I'm pretty sure I'm available that day (i.e. GF is working) will let you know tomorrow am.

Have a bad case of the hooks at the moment so hope it's a right to left course ;)

Mike

jimandr
29th January 2008, 10:09 AM
I'm pretty sure I'm available that day (i.e. GF is working) will let you know tomorrow am.

Have a bad case of the hooks at the moment so hope it's a right to left course ;)

Mike

You are very welcome to join us Mike. I've added you to the list. We now only need a fourth.

1. Jimandr
2. Matt3jab
3. Mikezone13
4. ?

Cumberland is a typical tree-lined kikuyu fairway Sydney course with fairly straight fairways, so it doesn't really favour any shape.

You'll enjoy 17, which is a drivable par 4 that requires a draw to hit it. I think I've scored one point total for the two times I've played it, so I might lay up off the tee this time.

The tee time (12.03) is a bit late, but it was all I could get.

mikezone13
29th January 2008, 09:46 PM
Unfortunately jim I have to pull out, really after a tee time that ahs me home by about 3:30pm on the Sunday.

1. Jimandr
2. Matt3jab

jimandr
30th January 2008, 11:19 PM
As we are currently back to two players I thought I should bump this thread up in an effort to attract at least one more starter to act as a witness.

If we've got nobody by Thursday I'll have to ring the club on Friday to vacate the two extra spots and give some locals a chance to play.

jimandr
31st January 2008, 09:19 PM
Looks like its just the two of us, Matt.

See you Sunday.

Matt 3 Jab
1st February 2008, 01:10 AM
see you then, sholud be good, golf sat and sun, happy days again

Grunt
3rd February 2008, 09:19 AM
Big test for Matt this afternoon, Can he knock off the 2005/06/07 Matchplay Champ? Must have been a long time since Jim has been beaten in a matchplay round. Matt don't look at his hat, it may put too much pressure on you as it reminds you how many Matchplay champs he has won.

jimandr
3rd February 2008, 03:19 PM
There was no testing of Matt3jab's nerve, and no dethroning of the king for time being. Anybody in Sydney today will know that the forecast of showers turned into rain periods, and they were heavy rain periods.

After phone calls, we agreed not to play the game, and Matt decided not to drive to Cumberland. I decided that I would play anyway.

I got to the course after driving for the last 15 minutes, from Fairfield on, in very heavy rain. It had eased while I was in the car park thinking about my options, then started coming down really hard virtually as soon as I handed my money over.

Nobody was teeing off, including me, so it was a day wasted. Fortunately, they gave me my green fees back.

It is now Matt's turn to organise the next game date and venue.

Grunt
3rd February 2008, 03:53 PM
How about the Dunheved round, could be one of the biggest NSW OzGolf days.

jimandr
3rd February 2008, 07:13 PM
I'm not available. I'll be away on holidays, if I can find somewhere where it isn't raining. My favoured destinations on the North Coast have had their worst summer for years.

jimandr
6th February 2008, 07:27 PM
I've changed the title of the thread and the content of the first post, but if it is raining elsewhere in Sydney as hard and persistently as it is at Ingleburn tonight, we might not be playing anywhere.

Grunt
6th February 2008, 07:31 PM
Have fun guys, working both days.

jimandr
9th February 2008, 02:24 PM
As everyone in Sydney knows, the rain has been so relentless that golf is an indoor sport at the moment. Matt and I have given up for the moment, so we'll wait a couple of weeks.

It is also very unlikely that Fishman Dan and Coffs Hacker will play. They are now looking at Easter for their game.

Matt 3 Jab
23rd February 2008, 06:59 AM
looking for a game tuesday at carnarvon, death vally to those who play jim

Grunt
23rd February 2008, 07:03 AM
Trung, Chopper & I are playing at Carnarvon on Tuesday too. Chopper is playing his matchplay too.

jimandr
23rd February 2008, 09:35 AM
I can't play on Tuesday.

I've PM'ed Matt with other suggestions. Negotiations are continuing.

Matt 3 Jab
23rd February 2008, 09:38 AM
pm replied

should be right now

jimandr
23rd February 2008, 05:24 PM
Agreement has been reached.

As per the new title, we are going to try for a game at Strathfield on Monday, at about midday. I'll ring and make the booking in the morning to confirm.

If anybody is free to join us, post tonight and I'll try for a group booking.

Grunt
25th February 2008, 09:35 AM
Best of luck to the two of you. Looks to be a nice golf day, low cloud, not much breeze.
Have Fun.

Grunt
25th February 2008, 04:01 PM
Result Here? Anyone?

3oneday
25th February 2008, 04:05 PM
They hit off at 12pm ? sheesh, give them time, they should be stuck in traffic about now !!! :)

Grunt
25th February 2008, 04:06 PM
I saw that Matt posted at 4:50

3oneday
25th February 2008, 04:07 PM
Well, he needs new wedges so maybe that's the answer :lol:

Grunt
25th February 2008, 04:09 PM
Well, he needs new wedges so maybe that's the answer :lol:

I reckon putter would have been the club he needed to work to beat Jim.

Grunt
25th February 2008, 05:01 PM
ooh ooh I know the result. Will leave it to participants to advise the rest of you.

jimandr
25th February 2008, 05:17 PM
Thanks for the interest guys. It makes this game seem more important than it was.

I won the match 4&3, but neither of us played very well. For most of the game it was a case of make a par, win the hole. I made more pars than Matt did, and managed to avoid any double bogeys, so I didn't give him any gifts, while he gave me a couple.

I have to advise that Strathfield right now is a course to avoid. There were two temporary greens (4 and 5), and we agreed to make these holes automatic halves. Matt would've won both holes, because his pot luck lottery putts on the kikuyu 'greens' bounced straighter than mine. This was highly ironic, as he 3putted the first three greens, then putted better on the temporaries.

The other greens weren't much better. They desperately needed coring and sanding, and in fact were getting it after we finished.

The other highlight occurred after the game had been decided on the 15th (squared with pars). Matt then chipped in for birdie on 16, made an absolute miracle recovery for par on 17, and birdied 18. 2 under the last 4 after playing poorly most of the day.

Thanks Matt for the game.

Grunt
25th February 2008, 05:19 PM
The juggernaut continues, wonder if Chopper or Trung (will be decided tomorrow) can stop it.

Jarro
25th February 2008, 05:21 PM
The juggernaut continues.....

Sorry, but that's a trademarked QLD phrase ....

....... you'll have to say something else.

Eag's
25th February 2008, 05:27 PM
The juggernaut continues

Yeah Grant get your own saying, there can only be one juggernaut

PeteyD
25th February 2008, 05:32 PM
Yeah Grant get your own saying, there can only be one juggernaut

For which we are eternally thankful

3oneday
25th February 2008, 05:37 PM
Thanks for the interest guys. sorry to mislead you, I was having a crack a Grunt ;)

:lol:

jimandr
25th February 2008, 08:12 PM
Sorry, but that's a trademarked QLD phrase ....

....... you'll have to say something else.

I don't want to be a juggernaut, partly because I will be easily stopped by somebody who plays under their handicap. So I am very happy to let the phrase revert to it's Queenslander only status.

However, maybe the Ozgolf matchplay winner cap has magical powers. Matt tried to intimidate me by wearing his Macarthur Grange A Grade Pennant Player shirt (he is undefeated in his only match), but he claimed that the cap topped that.

Matt 3 Jab
26th February 2008, 10:11 AM
Thanks Jim for the game.

As said, not the best golf, but not really really bad either. Course was a letdown for me, but it was ok.

My game basicly was the usual, good and bad. 3 putted the first 3, due to me not hitting the first ones. Hit the ball ok, and 35 points was a welcome surprise at the end.

The closing 4 holes were funny, par, chip in birdie, par (and almost holed it) from 3 inch thick rough, over a tree then downhill to the flag, stopped 2 inches from the hole. The on the last bombed a big drive a bit right, ended up clearing the trees and hitting the fairway, SW up the front edge, then rolled a putt in from the fringe.

I was beaten by the champ, look forward to just playing more.