PDA

View Full Version : Recommend some wet weather gear

oz
24th January 2008, 08:10 AM
My current (old) wet weather gear no longer fits me. Playing last weekend in rain, something I haven't done often lately, showed me that my old gear is just too big to be comfortable and effective.

Having not bought new wet weather gear in 5 years+, I imagine there is plenty of new stuff to choose from.

What do you recommend?

My requirements:

Light and cool
Compact when folded away
Non-restrictive
Keeps out the rain (duh)
Not too expensive

Are many of the new suits coming with the short sleeved tops? Seems the pros favour them these days....

Rusty
24th January 2008, 09:04 AM
anything in goretex'd do the trick. meets all your criteria except the last one :)

Fishman Dan
24th January 2008, 09:25 AM
Is there any difference between the fancy shmancy and the Proline gear? How often do you play in the rain? I reckon I play 2-3 times per year in the wet. You can spend several hundred bucks on stuff that's no better than the el cheapo if you want to look like Sergio.

A jacket capable of keeping you warm on windy days is more important. I got one of those Srixon $50 jobs with the zip-off arms that turn it into a vest. Does the trick.

oz
24th January 2008, 09:52 AM
In a "normal" year (i.e. non-drought), I guess I would play 1/2 dozen times a year in real rain. I just don't like feeling that I am too wet to swing it properly.

I have some good vests / pullovers for warmth on cool days, which I agree is important.

Grunt
24th January 2008, 10:01 AM
Only got the Cheap, think it is Marlin gear. Does the trick. Have to agree with what Dan said too.

Flowergirl
24th January 2008, 01:27 PM
Last year I bought a Sporte Leisure rain suit - and it is great. I had a cheaper one that drove me crazy - hot and noisy. It was mid priced. I find that brand to be very reliable.:smt023

gazgolf1
24th January 2008, 01:39 PM
My wet weather preparation consists of rolling over and pulling the doona back over my head. ;)

oz
24th January 2008, 02:44 PM
Last year I bought a Sporte Leisure rain suit - and it is great. I had a cheaper one that drove me crazy - hot and noisy. It was mid priced. I find that brand to be very reliable.:smt023

Thanks FG. I will check them out. :)

Courty
24th January 2008, 05:59 PM
I've played half a dozen in the wet already this year. :shock: Fortunately, when it gets wet here, it doesn't get cold. Wet weather gear consists of an xtra hand umbrella holder & a wet weather glove. Nobody bothers trying to keep themselves dry, cos it just ain't gonna happen when the raindrops are the size of tennis balls.

oz
24th January 2008, 10:01 PM
I like the extra hand thingy.... works well... and I am fan of the wet weather glove, too.... maybe if I go back to cord grips, i can stress less about the wet weather gear...

Courty
24th January 2008, 11:28 PM
I like the extra hand thingy.... works well... and I am fan of the wet weather glove, too.... maybe if I go back to cord grips, i can stress less about the wet weather gear...

The Xtra hand is a godsend. It has the added bonus of giving you somewhere to hang your towel/ gloves etc to dry when you're not using them.

The gloves I swear by are the Footjoy RainGrip. The wetter they get, the grippier they are. In fact, nowadays I wear them even on sunny but humid days.

Johnny Canuck
25th January 2008, 12:05 AM
another vote for sport leisure. we get a lot of rainy rounds in wa in the winter and i love my jacket. don't even need the umbrella.

Flowergirl
25th January 2008, 12:10 AM
another vote for sport leisure. we get a lot of rainy rounds in wa in the winter and i love my jacket. don't even need the umbrella.

Betcha yours isn't violet and yellow. I look like a giant Violet Crumble in mine.:shock:;)

Courty
25th January 2008, 12:13 AM
Betcha yours isn't violet and yellow. I look like a giant Violet Crumble in mine.:shock:;)

and just as sweet, too. :smt023

Bruce
25th January 2008, 09:07 AM

*Hopes for no rain next time we're out*

It happens rarely enough for me that I go with a "just get wet" strategy.

BrisVegas
25th January 2008, 09:08 AM
i've been wanting one of those flash Dryjoy short sleeve jackets. Yes, no surprise there I hear you all saying. They're just too damn expensive, and I prob only play a handful of wet games each year. For now, I've cut the sleeves off an old long sleeve jacket. It's much easier to swing the club in short sleeves.

Grunt
25th January 2008, 09:12 AM
I have a short sleeve Nike Windshirt that I just keep spraying with Scotchguard. It seems to do the trick.

swanny
25th January 2008, 06:56 PM
ive got my Ralsport wet gear from about 10 years ago and it still works really well