PDA

View Full Version : 2nd Test Australia Vs India 14-18 October - Chennai

Jarro
14th October 2004, 05:43 AM
Bring it on :!:

should expect to see the same Aussie line-up for this one.. although i've heard on the news this morning that the Indians are expected to make a couple of changes :smt017

Jarro
14th October 2004, 03:19 PM
Aussies won the toss and elected to bat on what looks like a very flat, lifeless wicket.

Good start .. 0/111 at lunch.

Also just heard that Ricky Ponting will NOT be playing in the 3rd Test as his injured thumb still hasn't healed properly.

Also looks like Sacchin won't be taking any part in this series either. Bad news for India as they look like they need him.

AndyP
14th October 2004, 03:21 PM
So much for the theory of giving the Brown Nosed Gnome (Langer) the boot. :(

Jarro
14th October 2004, 03:39 PM
Langer 55 Hayden 52

.. be the first time i can remember Langer outscoring Hayden in the first session :smt017

.. these 2 are really becoming an awesome opening combination \:D/

AndyP
14th October 2004, 03:41 PM
Langer 55 Hayden 52

.. be the first time i can remember Langer outscoring Hayden in the first session :smt017

That's because half of his runs were edges.

Jarro
14th October 2004, 03:45 PM
True.

Hayden has hit two 6's in his 52 :smt026

Jarro
15th October 2004, 04:35 AM
0/111 at lunch...

... all out for 235 before stumps :smt017

i'd say thats a pretty impressive collapse by our boys :roll:

AndyP
15th October 2004, 06:43 AM
0/111 at lunch...

... all out for 235 before stumps :smt017

i'd say thats a pretty impressive collapse by our boys :roll:
Pretty crap effort really. :x
Our tail collapses, while players like Patel and Pathan stand up for India.

One more wicket needed for Warney to pass that dirty little motherchucker. :D

Jarro
15th October 2004, 04:25 PM
Warney's got the record .... but the curry-munchers are making a real go of this Test.

terryand
15th October 2004, 04:33 PM
Whats that word...Da ja..De jay..day jey voo...Oh you know the one.

The demons of 3 years ago are raising there ugly heads again :twisted:

Terry.

Fishman Dan
16th October 2004, 07:10 AM
Whats that word...Da ja..De jay..day jey voo...Oh you know the one.

The demons of 3 years ago are raising there ugly heads again :twisted:

Terry.

Yeah, but that was after rolling them for about 120 in the first innings before *that* partnership between Dravid and Very Very Special...

Be a shame to blow a series lead - 2 days down and they are 50+ in front, i'd say we're heading for a result here one way or another.

AndyP
17th October 2004, 08:15 AM
Aussies 9 runs up with 6 wickets in hand. It's a shame that Gilchrist got out, as he was travelling along nicely.

It's going to be a tough slog to set a good target for the Indians. The middle order batsmen need to score well, and we can't afford a tailend collapse.
I think the Aussies will need to score the bulk of their runs in the first session, as the pitch seems to get worse as the day goes on.

Fishman Dan
17th October 2004, 09:53 AM
Need 200 to be any chance - 300 more the target. None and buckelys... pray for rain? Rue dropped catches more to the point..

Jarro
17th October 2004, 04:09 PM
the boys are doing OK at the moment 8)

Gillespie and Martyn have survived the first couple of sessions, maybe a draw isn't out of the question after all

Fishman Dan
17th October 2004, 07:17 PM
200-odd lead, Lehmann's silly dismissal opens the door for India - Warney 2nd ball duck.

3.5 sessions to play - 250 would be a good target to defend. 90 overs tomorrow means India wouldn't have to throw the bat to get there.

Be an interesting last 7 hours of this match - looking good for India, especially if they bat again tonight.

markTHEblake
17th October 2004, 07:27 PM
Bit of trivia for ya, commentators said that the highest 4th innings to win on this ground is only 150.

Ducky
18th October 2004, 06:52 AM
What were all you Damian Martyn haters thinking?

:smt069

Kind regards,

Ben (Ducky).

Fishman Dan
18th October 2004, 07:45 AM
What were all you Damian Martyn haters thinking?

:smt069

Kind regards,

Ben (Ducky).

Nothing's changed. Now, if he actually saved the test, then that's a whole different story..

3oneday
18th October 2004, 07:46 AM
At last, a TEST match, where every ball can impact on the outcome of the game. Now this is how test cricket should be played. 8)

Pete

AndyP
18th October 2004, 08:59 AM
Maybe Lehmann's spot in the side is in jeopardy regardless of Ponting's return. Could Hodge play the next test?

Great innings by Martyn (although he should have been dropped last year), and well supported by Gillespie.

The Aussies are a chance, but it is going to be a tough slog. The pressure is on Warney.

Bit of trivia for ya, commentators said that the highest 4th innings to win on this ground is only 150.
Records were meant to be broken. :roll:
I'm not sure that the stat means too much.
How do we know how often a target greater than 150 has been set?
Teams may have scored over 150 in the fourth innings, but the game was a draw.

Fishman Dan
18th October 2004, 09:11 AM
Records were meant to be broken. :roll:
I'm not sure that the stat means too much.
How do we know how often a target greater than 150 has been set?
Teams may have scored over 150 in the fourth innings, but the game was a draw.

I'd say in 50 years of test cricket at this ground this stat has some credibility. However i think these 2 teams have shown in the past that almost anything is possible.

Sounds like the pitch is playing different this year than it has in its lifetime. 200 should be easily reachable, especially if Sehwag gets going.

McMw
18th October 2004, 01:11 PM
let's face it....

if Aus was chasing 150 on the final day for a win....they're no chance... :lol:

Easy win for the Indians today...helped by 2 drop catches... :wink:

Bruce
18th October 2004, 01:24 PM
India scored 327 in the forth innings to tie the test back in '87.

Australia's problem is that only 2 wickets have fallen in the first session of the day in the entire test so far. Sehwag could have the game mostly won by lunchtime.

Martyn and Gillespie yesterday turned the chance of an Aussie victory from Impossible to Improbable and maybe even Plausable *IF* they can get at the middle order early. Otherwise the smart money is on India for the win.

Fishman Dan
18th October 2004, 01:24 PM
let's face it....

if Aus was chasing 150 on the final day for a win....they're no chance... :lol:

Easy win for the Indians today...helped by 2 drop catches... :wink:

Mau, with all due respect, your negativity isn't appreciated around here ;)

Rain delays the start of play - i'd say the more rain, the less chance of an Indian win - 70 runs a session was going to be tough going regardless.

Thanks to the Steve Waugh era, that wouldn't change the Australian attitude, but sub-continental teams won't go for it.

Best bet aussie win, draw second, Indian win 3rd. Having said that.... :smt102

AndyP
18th October 2004, 01:29 PM
Rain delays the start of play - i'd say the more rain, the less chance of an Indian win - 70 runs a session was going to be tough going regardless.

The ground won't be in a playable condition for a couple of hours due to heavy rain before play, and there is a chance of further rain to come.
Looks like it will be a disappointing draw.

Jarro
18th October 2004, 02:29 PM

which is what we really need anyway because i think the Indians would have knocked over the 210 they need pretty easily :roll:

AndyP
18th October 2004, 02:34 PM
which is what we really need anyway because i think the Indians would have knocked over the 210 they need pretty easily :roll:
Not if they only had two sessions to chase the total.

Update (5:15 GMT) - unfortunately things have gone worse here, at the moment it's bucketing down and chances of any play happening today looks very bleak!

Jarro
18th October 2004, 03:02 PM
Not if they only had two sessions to chase the total.

i don't know ... they took 18 off McGraths first two overs :roll:

Jarro
18th October 2004, 07:44 PM
washout :(

would've liked to see if the Indians could've won :x

Fishman Dan
18th October 2004, 09:31 PM
washout :(

would've liked to see if the Indians could've won :x

I reckon the aussies will claim they are dissappointed with a washout, thinking they could have won, but deep inside i think they knew they dodged a bullet - fancy a washout in India after numerous days in the high-30's.

McMw
18th October 2004, 09:49 PM
do the aussies need a series win to take the trophy???

the washout is a real blessing to them then... 1 more win from the last 2 will do it...

Fishman Dan
18th October 2004, 10:41 PM

the washout is a real blessing to them then... 1 more win from the last 2 will do it...

The aussies haven't won a series on Indian soil for nearly 40 years (someone correct me here - since 1968?). It means a lot more than gaining the Border-Gavaskar trophy.

Which is why the Dravid/Laxman partnership from the last tour is so significant. At 1-0 in the series, India all out for 170 or something in the first innings and following-on to stay in the series, and these two produced a once-in-a-lifetime partnership of over 370 to turn the match, and the series around.

http://aus.cricinfo.com/link_to_database/ARCHIVE/2000-01/AUS_IN_IND/SCORECARDS/AUS_IND_T2_11-15MAR2001.html

It means a lot to win this series (as opposed to any series) - it will be a significant achievement - Tendulkar or not.

Jarro
19th October 2004, 04:01 AM

that's right Mau,

... although we don't even need to win another test.. 2 draws would see the Aussies create a bit of history of their own 8)

AndyP
19th October 2004, 06:45 AM
Rain robbed us of a great contest, but I'm not disappointed that we got away with a draw. :wink:

... although we don't even need to win another test.. 2 draws would see the Aussies create a bit of history of their own 8)
Of course, they won't be playing for a draw though.

Bring on the third test.

Jarro
19th October 2004, 06:11 PM
Of course, they won't be playing for a draw though.

No, i believe they'll be trying to win both the remaining tests 8)

AndyP
19th October 2004, 06:57 PM
Just heard that Punter will be back for the fourth test.

Cya later Lehmann?

Does anyone else think that Gilchrist's captaincy is a bit dodgy?

Jarro
19th October 2004, 07:03 PM
Just heard that Punter will be back for the fourth test.

Cya later Lehmann?

Does anyone else think that Gilchrist's captaincy is a bit dodgy?

i think Gilchrist has done a great job :) when you consider that he also keeps wicket and bats high up the order... he's done well 8)

McMw
19th October 2004, 09:37 PM
yesshh....what's with the !@#$ing witchhunt against the WA Players... :evil:

Fishman Dan
19th October 2004, 10:16 PM
yesshh....what's with the !@#$ing witchhunt against the WA Players... :evil:

Leave him alone, he's a Lismore boy ;)

I think he's a better captain than Ponting, i don't really rate him much at all. Time will tell i guess.