PDA

View Full Version : buying vehicles on ebay USA

damoocow
9th January 2008, 03:12 PM
I know you lot have bought heaps of golf stuff from the US but has anyone bought a vehicle - Car/ Motorbike from a US ebayer ?? - I'm sure there are many pitfalls and dodgy stories - don't really have a problem with the shipping but concerned about paying money and 'hoping' you get the goods - any info appreciated............

damoocow

poidda
9th January 2008, 03:15 PM
damoocow, there's shyte loads of rules as to what you can/can't import. This is set by customs. I believe it is to protect the car industry here y stopping everyone from importing from Japan. But in saying that, it all depends on what you are importing. A general rule is if it is for sale in Australia, or has been, than you can't import.

It's been a while since I looked into this, so I could be completely wrong.

Fishman Dan
9th January 2008, 03:36 PM
What's it replacing?

Are you thinking of touring?

damoocow
9th January 2008, 05:04 PM
[QUOTE=poidda;202972]damoocow, there's shyte loads of rules as to what you can/can't import. This is set by customs. I believe it is to protect the car industry here y stopping everyone from importing from Japan. But in saying that, it all depends on what you are importing. A general rule is if it is for sale in Australia, or has been, than you can't import.

[QUOTE]

Just been looking on customs pages - really think this is in the too hard basket somehow

damoocow

damoocow
9th January 2008, 05:05 PM
What's it replacing?

Are you thinking of touring?

Should you really be drinking at this time of the day, at your age and in your condition ?

damoocow

Courty
9th January 2008, 05:43 PM
Unless it's a motorbike, is it really worth it? They have the steering wheel on the wrong side, you know. ;)

Jarro
9th January 2008, 06:06 PM
You've got way too much money moocow :roll:

Bruce
9th January 2008, 06:45 PM
I doubt the USA is the best place to buy from - but there is clearly a market for this sort of thing.

There is a shipping yard that I go past every day on the train that seems like the drop off point for a vehicle importer. A lot of GTRs go through that yard and there is always something interesting in there. Some old 50s style enormous coupes were in there today as well as some old John Deere tractors and a fire engine.

markTHEblake
9th January 2008, 08:32 PM
Damo, they changed the rules for grey imports about 3-4 years ago. There used to be a 15 year rule, but they have fixed it to about 1989 now. Which means you can only import anything about 1989 or older. There might also be a list of specific models that can be imported, so the 1989 rule covers whatever is not in the list.

there is plenty of grey import broker websites around that have all the guff to help you, I also know a couple of local guys that do this. Try googling for "JDM imports" as most of the brokers deal with jap stuff, the rules will be the same though

damoocow
9th January 2008, 10:42 PM
Thanks for the comments - it was a bike but really found all the customs and import info too hard to decipher........gave me a headache.

damoocow

markTHEblake
10th January 2008, 01:01 AM
you could get one of your kids to look at it for ya?

Courty
10th January 2008, 05:56 PM
Just ring Customs. They should be able to point you in the right direction. failing that, a Customs broker could help.