PDA

View Full Version : Shaft PUREing

3oneday
9th January 2008, 08:21 AM
This is the process where the shaft will be put the shaft in a machine and a computer will find the perfect flex point of the shaft.

It's not spining, but once they find this point they mark it and you are meant to install the shaft (for a righty) with the mark pointing at the toe so the shaft performs perfectly (if the swinger of said shaft does his bit ;))

Anyone ever had it done, or done any research to see if it's just another money spinner ??.

andylo
9th January 2008, 08:31 AM
Never done it myself (because its too expensive to get it done in Australia) but bought a couple of clubs/shafts. (Namely 757s and Diamana Blue board)

When I got those 2 757s I really can't feel the difference.

On the other hand, the Dia-Blus feel like it preform more consistent. You can actually trust the shaft will perform the same given the dude behind the stick perform almost the same everytime.

The Dia-Blus do play a little stiffer (feel like the flex point is higher) but it very minor only.

peter_rs
9th January 2008, 08:47 AM
Its not that expensive alo.

puring does make it stronger as the shaft is aligned with the most stable part in the swing direction (90* to club face).

It does produce a more consistent club.

If you can get it cheap its worth it try on a combo you like.

andylo
9th January 2008, 08:55 AM
Some dude in ISG (forget the name) has access to it and last time I check he wants $130 per shaft? (toward end of 2006 thu)

3oneday
9th January 2008, 09:48 AM
Golf Smith charge $10.99 per shaft when you buy off them. $130 seems a tad extreme :lol:

andylo
9th January 2008, 10:44 AM
I was surprised too.

Basically he mention every shaft thru the process needs to pay a high license fee to the inventor.

Or? Maybe we are talking different shaft pure process?

TS
9th January 2008, 10:59 AM
I think Jono had tried it before. There is/was a place in Sydney that got the machine to do.

But Jono is too much of a hacker to notice any differences.

Polymer
9th January 2008, 11:21 AM
I was surprised too.

Basically he mention every shaft thru the process needs to pay a high license fee to the inventor.

Or? Maybe we are talking different shaft pure process?

I dunno but that sounds like BS to me. I've seen some clubmakers here charge a TON...Much more than they do in the US...but for example, you can get it done in the US for 5-15 dollars....Closer to 5 if you're buying it from them...

peter_rs
9th January 2008, 06:58 PM
Alo it only costs about $15 at most. the machines can cost between 15K & 50K depending on the version. If a club fitters is trying to charge that they must be trying to make that cost back fast or don't do a lot of business.

andylo
9th January 2008, 08:19 PM
Man I dunno. Thats what I have been told and I just simply reflect it. Its not like I am the one who like to charge the $130!

Jarro
9th January 2008, 08:35 PM
Anyway, like someone said earlier, does it really make the club that much better ?

just
9th January 2008, 09:12 PM
Will the shaft play better if you put it in the freezer before you play?

3oneday
9th January 2008, 09:34 PM
I'd rather have a frozen shaft than frozen balls.... I think ???