PDA

View Full Version : 2nd Test - Lehmann's decision

Fishman Dan
13th October 2004, 09:12 AM
What do we think? Honourable or stupid?

My thought is plenty of the former, but a little of the latter - surely they would drop Damien Martyn if Punter is back in the team for tomorrows 2nd test?

Clarke should be "in every test for the foreseeable future", but i'm a firm believer that Martyn should be pulling the drinks cart, espeically in India on their doctored pitches.

Or perhaps Shrek is just making way for his lack of fitness compared to the other candidates :smt102

3oneday
13th October 2004, 09:42 AM
Can I just point out, Ponting aint playing until the 3rd test, AND in todays paper Lehmann said he wouldn't rule it out, not that it was a foregone conclusion.

Never allow the facts to get in the way of a good story !!!:wink: you should have been a journo Fishy :lol:

AndyP
13th October 2004, 10:08 AM
I thought Martyn (curse him) had been making plenty of runs lately.

If Katich fails in the 2nd test, then he should go, as he hasn't cemented a spot yet. Then again neither has Clarke. One test doesn't make a career.

However, I wouldn't be unhappy if Martyn got dropped. :wink:

3oneday
13th October 2004, 10:24 AM
Andippy, you Martyn hater you :P my mail is marto to make a ton :D this test :P

:lol:

Fishman Dan
13th October 2004, 10:31 AM
Can I just point out, Ponting aint playing until the 3rd test, AND in todays paper Lehmann said he wouldn't rule it out, not that it was a foregone conclusion

Sheezus, you have to take things so cut'n'dry? You're starting to sound like my missus :P

I think we can assume that -WHEN THE TIME COMES- a decision of sorts will need to be made. Hopefully the selectors make the call, not the players.

I think Katich is fine - he's a much better player of spin too, i wouldn't consider his position in jeopardy. And if it comes to needing another bloke to chuck some pies down the pitch, i'd back Katich to take more wickets than a Lehmann or Martyn.

3oneday
13th October 2004, 10:41 AM
:lol: sorry, you guys should know by now how literal I am :lol:

When I was reading the article my thinking was that Lehmann is only there because of his fantastic ability to play spin and intimidate the bowlers, something he tried and failed with in the 1st test.

He is the one more likely to get at Harbarjan (or however u bloody spell it) and I doubt that the selectors would agree with his sacrifice for that reason alone.

Cheers
Pete

AndyP
13th October 2004, 11:45 AM
i'd back Katich to take more wickets than a Lehmann or Martyn.
Did Katich even bowl in the first test? :? I know that Lehmann did.

Keith Stackpole couldn't figure out why Gilchrist kept bowling Warney while he was getting tonked on the last day of the first test, and not Katich or Gillespie.

Jarro
13th October 2004, 12:32 PM
I watched The Back Page on Foxsports the other night, and they interviewed Stuart Macgill ... he thought that maybe Justin Langer might be a chance of getting dropped.... Katich can open the batting also :?

I think putting your hand up to get the arse is pretty stupid.... Lehman is on a contract worth $650 000 with the ACB ... if it was me, i'd be waiting until they pushed me.

Bruce
13th October 2004, 12:39 PM
I think putting your hand up to get the bum is pretty stupid.... Lehman is on a contract worth $650 000 with the ACB ... if it was me, i'd be waiting until they pushed me.

Hasn't that been a complaint of recent retirees though. That they had to be forced from the team rather than going out on their own terms and perhaps overstaying their time in the process.

It has been noted that Hookes' death affected him badly and maybe has brought him round to the Keith Miller style of thinking about cricket. And he just might see the writing on the wall for his career. He was the only double failure in the Aussie batting in the first test.

Fishman Dan
13th October 2004, 01:34 PM
It has been noted that Hookes' death affected him badly and maybe has brought him round to the Keith Miller style of thinking about cricket. .

I think he's always had a very similar outlook to Hookesy, and he'll often come up with something that your regular bloke won't.

Mind you, i think at this stage of his career Hookes would have been quoted in the press "If you think i'm going to stand aside without a fight, you can go get #$&%@#".

AndyP
13th October 2004, 02:32 PM
I watched The Back Page on Foxsports the other night, and they interviewed Stuart Macgill ... he thought that maybe Justin Langer might be a chance of getting dropped.... Katich can open the batting also :?

Not that I listen to what the useless MacGill says, but Langer going isn't a bad idea. I thought he may have been a little more protected because he was an opener though.