PDA

View Full Version : The Lakes (Sydney) to be re designed

miro
7th January 2008, 02:36 PM
Had a lesson out at the Lakes the other day and the Pro was telling us that Mike Clayton, after having rebuilt the 18th, has been given the job to redo the balance of the course. The aim as I recall was for all works to be done over a 12-18 months period closing 9 holes at once then swapping over.

Given that the Lakes could be criticised for being half a great course, and given just how good the 18th now looks, it should be interesting to see what the results are in the next couple of years.

Andrew
7th January 2008, 02:50 PM
Unfortunately, The Lakes has been an ‘easy slut’ for the last 30 years. In other words, everyone has had a go at her. Hopefully Clayts will make an honest woman out of her.

I was of the belief that he had the entire job when he started the 18th. I heard that from an extremely reliable source, but maybe he was being tested.

I would like to think he could do something special, but that stuff over the road is extremely dull & will be a challenge to God himself.

miro
7th January 2008, 02:57 PM
Agreed about the "over the road" stuff.

We have lessons from Richard Flood who has The Lakes head Pro for many a year and still teaches out of the club (Craig Parry's long time coach). He is something of a piece of furiture about the place. Richard talked us through it the Clayton plan.

I tell you one thing the clubhouse redevelopment has not been a favourite of the members.

Andrew
7th January 2008, 03:06 PM
They seem to have made more consistently bad decisions than any club I know. Whether it’s clubhouse, course, membership structure or green staff. I’m not really sure why this is.

Webster
7th January 2008, 04:15 PM
Miro, that sounds like good news. With a bit of luck the Lakes might end up almost as good as Portsea!

Moe Norman
7th January 2008, 07:11 PM
I heard they were digging up mounds and finding tree stumps underneath, TWP at its best!

Muza
28th February 2008, 08:20 AM
whats with the tree stumps?

I have played there quite a few times and i love it. The front nine is what it is. What else can be done to it without massive excavation and earthworks. I dont think you can do much about it.

But the back 9 is awesome. havent played the new 18th yet, but the old green was ridiculus!!!!

Favourite holes
1, 11, 14, 16, 17

PeteyD
28th February 2008, 08:27 AM
Something for the termites to eat?