PDA

View Full Version : Laptops?

wavemaker
3rd January 2008, 06:22 PM
Gooday all, as suggested in the title I am chasing info on laptops. My darling daughter is going to Melbourne to start her first job and thinks she would rather have a laptop over a pc. She needs it for web browsing, email and word processing, so it doesn't have to be a high end model. Just wondering what you all may have found to be a cheap reliable machine. Regards, James.

goughy
3rd January 2008, 06:31 PM
My toshiba's going fine. Was about 1100 late last year, but you'd probably get it for around 1000 today. You can get them as cheap as 600 now days.

If you're paying up front, then the dell's are good deals too. Had no probs with ours either.

markTHEblake
3rd January 2008, 07:07 PM
Dell all the way.

strata
3rd January 2008, 07:30 PM
Went through the same situation 3 years ago(wish they were cheap then) but basicly its horses for courses .
Heavy travelling needs robust build toshiba is one of the best.
Desktop replacement ie stays on the desk doesnt matter buy what you want.
Pose value has to be macbook or sony vaio (panosonic toughbook if you have a Hummer and use it)
If her requirements are as basic as you point out buy the cheapest brand name she can find and update every 2 years.
currently have seen compacs under 550.After cash back or 275 a year then just pick the favorite relation to give it too.

Fishman Dan
3rd January 2008, 07:41 PM
James - especially if you're moving around, buy a Dell or Toshiba. Don't get sucked in by price to buy something from the bloke down the road if you're between cities. Spells trubble.

$1100 is a good start point, but I look at it this way - every $100 more you spend, you add a couple of months to the longevity of the machine. $1500 and you're a full generation ahead of the $1000'ish laptops.

kristofor
4th January 2008, 10:05 AM
Go for either a Toshiba, HP or Apple. They are definitely the best brands. If your after price saving then look for the Dells, and some of the other less known brands.

MY vote would be for a macbook. They can run windows, and also the apple operating system. In fact they run windows better than most of the windows based laptops.

poidda
4th January 2008, 10:36 AM
My old girl bought a Compaq from The Good Guys for $650 with everything needed for what you want. Another $50 to put an extra gig of Ram in it, and you're racing. There's no need to buy more if you aren't doing more.

$1100 is a good start point, but I look at it this way - every $100 more you spend, you add a couple of months to the longevity of the machine. $1500 and you're a full generation ahead of the $1000'ish laptops.

Can you send me your magical spreadsheet that worked this one out? :-s Why not buy the cheapest name brand NOW, to do what you want NOW. Save your $800 to upgrade when it is NEEDED. I will bet good money that you can buy your $1500 laptop in 2 years time with the $800 you save NOW.

goughy
4th January 2008, 10:47 AM
But you could say that forever with technology poidda! Why buy that $5000 tv today when it'll be $2500 in 2 years. Why buy that $2500 tv now when it'll be $1200 in 2 years.

I go through that every time, it'll be cheaper soon. But if I keep saying that I'd be riding a horse and living in a house of straw (it's only just beter than that I'd admitt).

I agree that if you don't wanna spend much then you don't have to to get a good enough system. For bare bones, make sure it's got 1g ram and wifi if needed (though I'd get this regardless) and bluetooth if needed then you're off and running.

poidda
4th January 2008, 10:53 AM
But you could say that forever with technology poidda! Why buy that $5000 tv today when it'll be $2500 in 2 years. Why buy that $2500 tv now when it'll be $1200 in 2 years.

I go through that every time, it'll be cheaper soon. But if I keep saying that I'd be riding a horse and living in a house of straw (it's only just beter than that I'd admitt).

Ahhh, you've just agreed with me goughy. I think! :-s :-k

I'm saying exactly that. Dont buy the $5000 TV if you don't need it. By the TV that was $5000 2 years ago, and is now $2500. You're comparing horses with cars, where I'm comparing a Hummer with a mini-moke! ;)

poidda
4th January 2008, 10:58 AM
To quote goughy from the Digital Camera thread

SD cards are almost throw away prices these days too. 2gig for like $35, 4gig probably only 60. We got a 4gig cf for robs canon slr and it takes about 1300pics at full jpeg.

Technology changes on a daily basis, and as a result gets cheaper and cheaper. I bought a 1gig cf card 3 years aga for my digital slr for $180 :shock:, And I'm pretty sure it was one of the biggest made at the time.

By TODAY for what you need TODAY!

AndyP
4th January 2008, 11:21 AM
You are a very argumentative fellow today, poidda.

PeteyD
4th January 2008, 11:23 AM
By TODAY for what you need TODAY!

Best advice. Work out what you want and buy (spelling Poidda) what you need to accomplish that. ASUS make great laptops.

wavemaker
4th January 2008, 11:24 AM
Thanks all. I just showed her the responses and she couldn't believe how helpful you all were. So thanks from Jen too.

Fishman Dan
4th January 2008, 11:57 AM
Can you send me your magical spreadsheet that worked this one out? :-s Why not buy the cheapest name brand NOW, to do what you want NOW. Save your $800 to upgrade when it is NEEDED. I will bet good money that you can buy your $1500 laptop in 2 years time with the $800 you save NOW.

No magical spreadsheet. Just my own impression of buying hardware (I do it 'semi'-regularly ;)).

Buy cheap by all means, but what you do now may not be what you need to do tomorrow. Example - very soon we'll all be using Office 2007, and your now computer will struggle. Why is this important?? Because your Office 2003 will not open documents generated in Office 2007 - although there are converters freely available, Office 2k7 offers plenty more in the way of features that will become standard, so creating Office 2k3 docs for 2k7 users will become a hassle.

Imagine all those now people trying to use AutoCAD 2008 from their laptops purchased a couple of years ago.

I've got a classic example of a friend who purchased a Compaq laptop from Dick Smith for under $1k, with a cashback. It came with Vista. It took up to 2 minutes to display the "Are you sure" screens. Despite the fact he never intended to play games on it, guess what he wanted to do within 3 weeks of owning it. Unreal Tournament 2004 was not an option.

Blame Bill Gates all you want, but if you're making the investment today, it's easier to find another $200 now, than spend money on upgrades in 18-24 months time.

Fishman Dan
4th January 2008, 12:02 PM
I'm saying exactly that. Dont buy the $5000 TV if you don't need it. By the TV that was $5000 2 years ago, and is now $2500. You're comparing horses with cars, where I'm comparing a Hummer with a mini-moke! ;)

Why do we need any more than the 48cm CRT I just made redundant? It's people like me who are making the interest rates rise, but at least I can watch it in FULL 1080P!! :p

Can't do that with a 2 year old TV.

poidda
4th January 2008, 12:13 PM
You are a very argumentative fellow today, poidda.

Am not!

markTHEblake
4th January 2008, 01:01 PM
Office 2k7 offers plenty more in the way of features that will become standard, so creating Office 2k3 docs for 2k7 users will become a hassle.

its going to piss me off when this crap starts happening. I'll start sending the docs back as ODS format with the comment - try opening this one arsehole.

AndyP
4th January 2008, 01:04 PM
Cool! Another reason to get an Apple.

Fishman Dan
4th January 2008, 01:09 PM
its going to piss me off when this crap starts happening. I'll start sending the docs back as ODS format with the comment - try opening this one arsehole.

We've got a department here at work who have gone their own way and ignored our SOE to install it. We allowed them on the proviso that when another staff member comes to us saying they can't open a doc, they are to contact the sender and request that it be "Down-saved" (gayest new fangled IT lingo yet) to Office 2003, and not take up (valuable!) Helpdesk time.

30 users in a company of 500 (NSW and ACT only) want to do their own thing.

poidda
4th January 2008, 02:10 PM
Cool! Another reason to get an Apple.

Does the Mac word processor handly both Office 2003 and 2007 docs?

markTHEblake
4th January 2008, 02:15 PM
Mac doesnt have a Word processor out of the box, well not a real one anyway. (unless you wanna call MS Wordpad a word processor too)

I think the Mac version of Open Office supports the Office 2007 format, however Office 2007 doesnt support ODS.

wavemaker
4th January 2008, 03:41 PM
Thanks for that Blakey. Depending on what she ends up with, I will encourage her to install Kubuntu and that has the full monty.

markTHEblake
4th January 2008, 04:20 PM
Dell might be selling laptops with Ubuntu by now, advantage is no hardware compatibility issues. Mind you it works great on my Dell laptop

Might not be an option online, might have to ask on the phone for it.

Fishman Dan
4th January 2008, 04:29 PM
Mac doesnt have a Word processor out of the box, well not a real one anyway.

Neither does Windows?!

kristofor
4th January 2008, 04:30 PM
Does the Mac word processor handly both Office 2003 and 2007 docs?

Office 2008 is due out this month. It will handle all the same documents as office 2007 for PC.

Open office for mac really doesn't cut it.

Courty
4th January 2008, 09:11 PM
Mac doesnt have a Word processor out of the box, well not a real one anyway. (unless you wanna call MS Wordpad a word processor too)

So you've obviously never heard of Pages (http://www.apple.com/iwork/pages/). I've been using it instead of M$ Word for a couple of months now.

Fishman Dan
4th January 2008, 09:25 PM
Poidda - The Office 2007 file issue is a screw up of momentous (or Microsoft) proportions. It was meant to be the new black of file handling along with Vista, but they couldn't get their act together and Vista turned out to be a lemon. If you want a longer and much more boring version of this story, I'll give you my old boss' number.

So basically, the only thing that reads Office 2007 docs is..... Office 2007.

markTHEblake
5th January 2008, 12:59 AM
So you've obviously never heard of Pages (http://www.apple.com/iwork/pages/). I've been using it instead of M$ Word for a couple of months now.

no aint heard of it, obviously it has to be purchased seperately. anyway i thought the context referenced 'the mac word processor' to mean the one supplied with the Operating System, cos you have always said a Mac comes with everything it needs! :)

I am using Neo Office. Honestly cant tell the difference between that and Office (once the preferences have been set)

Courty
5th January 2008, 09:04 AM
no aint heard of it, obviously it has to be purchased seperately. anyway i thought the context referenced 'the mac word processor' to mean the one supplied with the Operating System, cos you have always said a Mac comes with everything it needs! :)

Pages is part of iWork, which is supplied with all new Macs.

But anyhow, my recommendation would be an Apple MacBook (run either Windows or Mac) or if a PC is more to your liking, Dell have always been the best value/ most stable.

AndyP
21st April 2008, 11:38 AM
Bye, bye Windows driven PC.

Hello Apple MacBook. :cool:

poidda
21st April 2008, 11:45 AM

Nice one AndyP. I've actually been convinced to give the Mac a run this time when I replace my laptop in the coming months. I always thought they were to expensive, but a mate has put me onto a site where you can buy them from the states.
http://www.priceusa.com.au/order/index.php?mod=order&item=2

AndyP
21st April 2008, 11:50 AM
There is a definite price difference between the States and here. It's like Apple Oz aren't aware of the current currently exchange. I'm not sure what risks are involved though.

I still got the middle range MacBook from Australia, using a 15% staff discount (brother-in-law) and salary sacrifice. With the AppleCare Protection added on, plus upgraded HDD and a couple of other things, it will still be less than $1500.

kpac
21st April 2008, 11:54 AM
well done AP hope you like it!! love the pricing of the macbooks, girlfriend just got one, (student discount through apple.com.au,) $1340, including free ipod nano that she flogged off to her sister for $150. $1200 later - awsome computer and priced very well IMO - Hard to get people to "deal" on apple, but other than that i find there pricing very good.

Bewarned though - new IMac IMMINENT!! i recon tomorrow (others say a month or so) has a new processor suppose to be a decent improve.

poidda
21st April 2008, 11:59 AM
Bewarned though - new IMac IMMINENT!! i recon tomorrow (others say a month or so) has a new processor suppose to be a decent improve.

Yeah I've heard that as well, so holding off for a couple of months.

AndyP
21st April 2008, 11:59 AM
I very strongly considered the iMac, in fact it's what I initially wanted, but went with the MacBook for portablility (play poker while in front of the TV ;)), and the advantage of using salary sacrifice.

I wouldn't have been able to wait for the new iMac, if I wanted the staff discount. I only just got in, as he finishes work with Apple tomorrow.

Just thinking about the US ordered Mac, it would wear some customs tax on the way in to add to the effective price.

poidda
21st April 2008, 12:01 PM
Just thinking about the US ordered Mac, it would wear some customs tax on the way in to add to the effective price.

Oh yeah. good point. I didn't think of that.

kpac
21st April 2008, 12:05 PM
I very strongly considered the iMac, in fact it's what I initially wanted, but went with the MacBook for portablility (play poker while in front of the TV ;)), and the advantage of using salary sacrifice.

I wouldn't have been able to wait for the new iMac, if I wanted the staff discount. I only just got in, as he finishes work with Apple tomorrow.

nah good choice i recon AP - i've been a macbook and powerbook user for years, recently switched to the imac because the screen size is excellent and i use them at work aswell (made trasition easy) but i have to say i miss being able to rattle off a few loose ends in front of the tv or the portability. ill be laptop again one day.

poidda
21st April 2008, 12:09 PM
nah good choice i recon AP - i've been a macbook and powerbook user for years, recently switched to the imac because the screen size is excellent and i use them at work aswell (made trasition easy) but i have to say i miss being able to rattle off a few loose ends in front of the tv or the portability. ill be laptop again one day.

Yeah that's why I'm hesitant to buy a macbook, and th macbook pro has the bigger monitor. protability isn't a big issue for me and 13 inches is just to small in my opinion. (yeah here come the jokes)

As for Tax Pee, this is what they have to say on their site.

Will I be charged GST?

Yes, but only on our 5% service fee and insurance. The goods arriving from the USA will be declared accurately so you may also be charged GST on the order item as well, however, Australian customs do not charges GST on personal goods valued under $1000 (http://www.customs.gov.au/site/page.cfm?u=5549). Our experience is that higher valued items are also often not charged GST. We advise that you not rely on this and factor in paying GST and duty on items valued over A$1000.
The GST limit applies to the cost of item and the cost of shipping to Australia. For example, if an item cost US$850 with US$25 shipping then it would still be under the A$1000 limit even if our fees made the total order more than A$1000.

AndyP
21st April 2008, 12:17 PM
Yeah that's why I'm hesitant to buy a macbook, and th macbook pro has the bigger monitor. protability isn't a big issue for me and 13 inches is just to small in my opinion. (yeah here come the jokes)
I figured I didn't need the extra video power of the Macbook Pro (MBP), which is the main difference between models from what I've read, even though I will use it to watch movies. Whether it's the 13 inch MacBook screen or 15 inch MBP, it's still too small in comparison to a desktop solution. 23 inch iMac would be great though.

I also got a VGA adapter to hook up to a monitor if I want, and a composite adapter for the old TV or amp, plus an Apple Remote.

poidda, with those customs fees is sounds like GST + a fee (5%) will be charged.

kpac
21st April 2008, 12:18 PM
13 inches is just to small in my opinion.

I use to agree, but no longer worries me for what i do. I keep my screen pretty tidy with pallets etc and can work around 13". Visibility is no dramas as the screen is only ever arm length away. Portability is when 13" is great, light & small. But i does depend what you're doing. With MacOS and the expose feature - it make multiple window really easy to swap, i found it practical, but other users require a number of windows on one page - just wont happen at 13".......

Courty
21st April 2008, 12:22 PM

:smt023

poidda
21st April 2008, 12:24 PM
poidda, with those customs fees is sounds like GST + a fee (5%) will be charged.

Yeah it seems like it's lucky dip when it comes into Aussie. An extra $200 or so still make them a shyte load cheaper than buy in Aussie.

kpac
21st April 2008, 12:25 PM
Yeah it seems like it's lucky dip when it comes into Aussie. An extra $200 or so still make them a shyte load cheaper than buy in Aussie.

mate if you get them in them to your door for +200 on that price you've found a winner!

poidda
21st April 2008, 12:33 PM
There's plenty of info on whirlpool about priceusa
http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies-archive.cfm/913221.html

markTHEblake
22nd April 2008, 09:20 PM
I would have thought there would be no import duty on computers, only GST.
from memory the principle of customs is you only pay import tax if the item is also produced in Australia.

AndyP
29th April 2008, 07:42 PM
I'm now browsing using my new Mac. :D

Now I just need to figure out how to do everything more efficiently, because I don't really know what I'm doing.

markTHEblake
29th April 2008, 07:47 PM
Its like driving an automatic. its fine until you wanna take control.

mind you it does have a command prompt.

AndyP
29th April 2008, 07:49 PM
I drive an automatic and can take control by shifting to "tiptronic" and can change gears when I want. ;)

Fishman Dan
29th April 2008, 08:01 PM
I'm now browsing using my new Mac. :D

Now I just need to figure out how to do everything more efficiently, because I don't really know what I'm doing.

But doesn't it feel good.. whatever it is you are doing. =P~

Courty
29th April 2008, 08:44 PM
Its like driving an automatic. its fine until you wanna take control.

You can take control if you need to. It's just difficult to mess things up if you don't know what you're doing.

strata
29th April 2008, 09:23 PM
I'm now browsing using my new Mac.
Had my iMac 5 Months now takes a bit of getting used to,Find it impossible to feel comfortable on windows machines now.
Not that hard to mess up already had to reinstall Leopard after trying to set up a bootcamp win xp partition.

Courty
29th April 2008, 09:36 PM
Not that hard to mess up already had to reinstall Leopard after trying to set up a bootcamp win xp partition.

Ahhh.... the Microsoft passion-fingers syndrome at work. :lol:

strata
29th April 2008, 09:50 PM
Ahhh.... the Microsoft passion-fingers syndrome at work. :lol:
Ha Ha.
Should read the instructions,When is says xp service pack 2 it means it.
Couldn't update from sp1 to sp2 bootcamp wont recognize the install.
But slowly found mac software to replace the windowz ones now need to play!

BrisVegas
15th May 2008, 09:22 PM
anyway, back to Windoze.....

Given this week's changes to salary sacrifice rules on laptops, I'm looking to get a new laptop sooner rather than later. I want to stick with Dell, so please no Mac spruiking.

Trying to decide between the Dell Inspiron 1525 & Dell XPS 1530. They can be specced up pretty similarly, but the XPS is a few hundred $$ dearer, mainly due to the fancy case and supposed build quality. (Think v6 Camry versus Lexus. )

The one notable thing the XPS has that the Inspiron doesn't is the 256MB NVIDIAŽ GeForceŽ 8600M GT graphics card.

Will the cheaper Inspiron's "integrated graphics" cope with HiDef video playback and streaming to a projector/flat panel via the HDMI output? Or is this something that would really need a dedicated graphics card like the gamer-spec nVidia in the XPS?

Thanks in advance....

goughy
15th May 2008, 09:24 PM
Just upgrade the graphics card in the inspiron! Problem solved...

Courty
15th May 2008, 09:26 PM
I would think that the Inspiron's on-board graphics would cope, but there'd be no doubt with the XPS.

FWIW, I had an Inspiron for work a few years back and it was a solid performer, but very heavy.

BrisVegas
15th May 2008, 09:32 PM
I would think that the Inspiron's on-board graphics would cope, but there'd be no doubt with the XPS.

FWIW, I had an Inspiron for work a few years back and it was a solid performer, but very heavy.

yeah the older 1420 & 1520 Inspirons are big buggers. My current 6400 is pretty big too. The newish (mid-2007) 1525 model is much slimmer and lighter and actually looks pretty reasonable. I am leaning towards the XPS because it just occurred to me that I could end up doing a bit of AutoCAD stuff on it.

Bruce
15th May 2008, 09:32 PM
Just got myself and ASUS U3000 Hybrid USB TV Tuner.

Will be able to setup for watching the footy during night shift tomorrow. It's pretty good.

markTHEblake
15th May 2008, 10:02 PM
The one notable thing the XPS has that the Inspiron doesn't is the 256MB NVIDIAŽ GeForceŽ 8600M GT graphics card.

Will the cheaper Inspiron's "integrated graphics" cope with HiDef video playback and streaming to a projector/flat panel via the HDMI output?

Doubt it,

I have the XPS M1210. I got the Nvidea GForce Go 7400 as the dedicated display adaptor upgrade. The special attachment that has the Component and Digital audio outputs was only available with the upgrade.

Another point was that there was 2 adaptors available, one with component (RGB) and digital audio, and the other with composite A/V. There was no way of telling from the online weborder upgrade page which was which. I told the sales chick exactly what i wanted and she selected the wrong one, so she arranged for me to get the right one for free later. Obviously if you choose the wrong one yourself, you are stuffed. (i got her number here if you want it, she was cool)

BrisVegas
15th May 2008, 10:05 PM
both the Inspiron 1525 & XPS 1530 come with HDMI output ports on them, which is the main reason I was looking at those two.

AndyP
15th May 2008, 10:28 PM
anyway, back to Windoze.....Where's that PC Mag article you were telling me about, Courty?

poidda
16th May 2008, 07:54 AM
You're going to have the laptop for say 4 years. If it's only an extra $200, that works out to be $1/week for the XPS. It's a no brainer for me.

kpac
16th May 2008, 08:24 AM
You're going to have the laptop for say 4 years.
:shock::shock:
I'd like to do this one day!

poidda
16th May 2008, 08:32 AM
:shock::shock:
I'd like to do this one day!

How often do you upgrade you home laptop? The one I use at home is pushing 7 years. A bit of extra RAM and it hasn't missed a beat. There's no point unless you're a gadget junkie. ;)

kpac
16th May 2008, 08:41 AM
How often do you upgrade you home laptop? The one I use at home is pushing 7 years. A bit of extra RAM and it hasn't missed a beat. There's no point unless you're a gadget junkie. ;)

Blame apple not me - they keep making there damn computers better, and i can't live with missing out!! Send me an email everytime theres an upgrade and i just cant help myself. 18months TOPS i recon.

I get over the upgrade idea, i look at it and think, huh well if i'm going to spend $200 on a bit of ram, may aswell spend $2k and get a whole new computer..... :roll:
I work it with the business though, which makes the transactions a little easier....

poidda
16th May 2008, 08:56 AM
Blame apple not me - they keep making there damn computers better, and i can't live with missing out!! Send me an email everytime theres an upgrade and i just cant help myself. 18months TOPS i recon.

I get over the upgrade idea, i look at it and think, huh well if i'm going to spend $200 on a bit of ram, may aswell spend $2k and get a whole new computer..... :roll:
I work it with the business though, which makes the transactions a little easier....

OK, I just read between the lines. MAC's don't last, and difficult to upgrade. useless after 18 months, so you may as well use them as a boat anchor. ;)

kpac
16th May 2008, 09:07 AM
OK, I just learnt to read between the lines. MAC's don't last, and difficult to upgrade. useless after 18 years , so you may as well use them as a boat anchor. ;)

poidda
16th May 2008, 09:18 AM

Man, how do you do that? It's like I said it, but I didn't really. wow. :roll:

kpac
16th May 2008, 09:20 AM
Man, how do you do that? It's like I said it, but I didn't really. wow. :roll:

the mac did it, :D. it didnt like you tone....

BrisVegas
16th May 2008, 09:29 AM

Will the cheaper Inspiron's "integrated graphics" cope with HiDef video playback and streaming to a projector/flat panel via the HDMI output? Or is this something that would really need a dedicated graphics card like the gamer-spec nVidia in the XPS?

Thanks in advance....

thanks Courty & blakey for your advice so far. Anyone else got anything to contribute? Anyone outputting HD video from a PC with just the standard onboard graphics?

Flowergirl
23rd May 2008, 10:22 AM
Ok .......advice needed. John needs a new computer for work. He needs to access the internet - just for banking and for VicRoads - doesn't need to be super fast and to run a simple customer accounts and database.
I'm wanting a lap top so thinking of getting a laptop to do both his work and for my needs.
What do I need without going overkill but without having something too slow.
Also - is it hard for someone like me who knows NOTHING about this stuff hook up to the internet and install softwear etc. Will you boys hold my hand?

markTHEblake
23rd May 2008, 10:35 AM
Dells latest special has a laptop Vostro 1400 for $650 including shipping.
search for R520502

It aint the fastest computer going around, but unless your into multimedia editing or latest games, it is plenty fast enough for ya

but if it was me, i would spend $1000, it just has that little bit more shine
Search R520507 for the Vostro 1510

www.dell.com.au/savings

Flowergirl
23rd May 2008, 10:53 AM
Dells latest special has a laptop Vostro 1400 for $650 including shipping.
search for R520502

It aint the fastest computer going around, but unless your into multimedia editing or latest games, it is plenty fast enough for ya

but if it was me, i would spend $1000, it just has that little bit more shine
Search R520507 for the Vostro 1510

www.dell.com.au/savings (http://www.dell.com.au/savings)

Mark - how does this compare to the Dell Inspiron 1525? Same price but 3mb. What do you think?

markTHEblake
23rd May 2008, 11:01 AM
dunno, i dont see an Inspiron 1525 anywhere

They have a compare thing somewhere on their site somewhere, take note of size and weight, if you think you are gunna carry it around sometimes.

peter_rs
23rd May 2008, 12:24 PM
not a lot FG the vostro is the business model of the inspiron.

I just got a good deal on a IBM R61 for my parents.

vostro are ok just look basic.

Flowergirl
23rd May 2008, 12:26 PM
not a lot FG the vostro is the business model of the inspiron.

I just got a good deal on a IBM R61 for my parents.

vostro are ok just look basic.

How much was the IBM?

Bruce
23rd May 2008, 12:47 PM
I can get you an R61 from $949. This a sale price that runs out on the 26th but I'm sure there will be some other deal after that.

Being my friend can get you 20% of the web price on anything at lenovo.com.au

Flowergirl
23rd May 2008, 01:12 PM
I can get you an R61 from $949. This a sale price that runs out on the 26th but I'm sure there will be some other deal after that.

Being my friend can get you 20% of the web price on anything at lenovo.com.au

Bugger!!!!!!!!!!! Just ordered the Dell.:shock: Many thanks anyway.:smt023