PDA

View Full Version : Week Commencing 31st December 2007

AndyP
31st December 2007, 01:30 PM
31/12/2007, Indooroopilly GC Temp 18, Social Round.

7/13 effective tee-shots.
5/18 effective approaches.
6/10 up and down successes.
28 putts.
--------------
2 birdies.
9 pars.
5 bogeys.
2 others.

Score 41-37-78 nett 68 (Par 35-36-71)

I don't recall doing anything too special through the green, some good shots, some not so good. My short game was awesome on the back nine though, generally leaving tap ins from chips and long putts.

Next round: No idea. 2 or 3 weeks time.

mike
31st December 2007, 02:51 PM
Played 7 holes this morning on my own starting at 5.20 am. Got to the 14th ( played the back 9 ) and couldn't be bothered walking all the way to the men's tee so I dropped a ball on the ground about 50 metres past the ladies tee. Hit a 3 wood off the ground to about 40 metres short of the green. Hit a gap wedge from there and holed out for an eagle.

Does that count ?

goughy
31st December 2007, 03:20 PM
In my book, yeah, sure it does!!!!! ;)

Hey AP, the ravens did the job well today??

AndyP
31st December 2007, 03:57 PM
Better than the i3s, but with only 6 irons in the bag (excl Vokey wedges), they don't always get a lot of shots.

markTHEblake
31st December 2007, 05:25 PM
I played 9 holes night golf last night. Had a warm up on the range just before and it was quite cyclonic, was hitting 8 irons as best as i could 100m :-) (though a mistimed one probably was going only 80ish)

was looking forward to playing in that much wind as its so much fun to work out how to manage it, and even birdied the 10th (first hole crosswind) but then it started raining and the wind died off a bit. I think it rained 3 or 4 times and it never blew anywhere near as hard as it did before we hit off. So never got to hit any real fun wind shots.

Dissapointing in the end, got a wet bum, and just a crappy night It was just misty showert rain but swirling about so you couldnt use a brolly. Its not much fun with slippery grips and trying to hit over trees from a semi-dark spot in the rough, especially when you hit a palm tree and it never came out :-(

jimandr
31st December 2007, 06:08 PM
Sydney weather was almost perfect for us today at Castle Hill. However, my last round of the year was one of my worst. 26 points, with no redeeming features. The claw putting grip is on the way out, as I just can't get the feel and pace of greens. I'm sick of not being able to get 35 footers within 5 feet, and it is usually short, not long.

Fairways = 10 of 14
GIR = 5 of 18
Putts = 38, 4 3putts, no birdies
Up & Down = 1 of 5
Sand Saves = 0 of 4.

Courty
31st December 2007, 06:21 PM
On a whim I decided to go out & walk 9 holes (carrying even! :shock:) this afternoon. I played 2 balls on each hole in an effort to work out some ball-striking issues. It certainly worked. It was my best ball-striking effort in a long while. In the 18 holes I played, I made 3 birdies (lipped out another) and 2 bogies. The rest were pars which makes a total of 69 shots for 18 holes (par 35 x 2).

Now I just gotta work out how to do it every time I play. :roll:

I'm playing a comp round tomorrow morning which will be a good test.

amanda
1st January 2008, 02:42 PM
Played the Rum Corps Golf Course out near Windsor this morning - a little 9 hole course. I think I shot +12 over 8 holes plus one hole where I lost 2 balls and just gave up!

Courty
1st January 2008, 02:59 PM
Walking around the shops yesterday I bumped into an old workmate who left Cairns a number of years ago (visiting his family over the holidays). We went out for a hit at Cairns GC this morning in the comp.

Yesterdays afternoons form was noticeably absent. :roll: Looking at my stats, there is a definite pattern forming...

Fairways: 7/14
Greens: 7/18 :oops:
Putts: 34 including a chip-in (3 x 1s/ 3 x 3s)
Putts per GIR: 2.4

The putting has become really frustrating lately. Extremely inconsistent and mainly due to lack of feel/ distance control. Maybe I need a new putter. 8) :roll:

PeteyD
1st January 2008, 03:24 PM
35 points around nudgee in the monsoon (93 off the stick). 30 putts, 7 fairways. No GIR (not good in a wind :( ) 4 pars, 2 triples. Played solidly but again had difficulty getting of the tee. Need more practice ...

AndyP
1st January 2008, 11:10 PM
The putting has become really frustrating lately. Extremely inconsistent and mainly due to lack of feel/ distance control. Maybe I need a new putter. 8) :roll:I think you need a new signature.

BrisVegas
2nd January 2008, 07:58 AM
had a casual 9 holes this morning. It's nice to get out first and have the course to yourself. Played 3 balls on the 190m par 3 7th. I tried 4 iron, 3 iron, 3 hybrid. All went about the same distance (180 to just carry the front edge). The 5 wood is about 10 metres longer and is easier to hit. Think i'll stick with 4 iron & 5 wood for now.

Courty
2nd January 2008, 06:12 PM
I think you need a new signature.

Mike has only ever played with guys who putt worse than me. ;) :roll:

Flowergirl
2nd January 2008, 07:14 PM
Social 9 holes tonight. 42 (par 37). Been playing well the last few weeks - watch me fall in a hole when I play with the Ozgolf boys next week.:smt087
Putting has improved - thank God and am hitting the ball solid. It's the shot from 100 meters that is letting me down - but I guess that's the hardest shot to make.

Best thing was Johnny played the best he has for AGES. Some great drives - he was a happy chappy.:smt023

rick3003
4th January 2008, 01:16 PM
Played in the comp at Strathfield today.

Had 38 points. Even par with 3 to go and I choked. Bogeyed the last 3 holes with a 3 putt on the last.

goughy
5th January 2008, 12:47 PM
I am so glad that I left it to today to play my first MM in many years! Started double, double. Then hit a sliced 3 wood off the 3rd back down the 2nd fairway. Find my ball about 2" oob, which is a good effort with a 3 wood. Backup the hill and hook one oob. DQ time!

Stats for the round, bugger me. Too much to count. 2 pars, 4 doubles, 2 triples and on my DQ hole I'd guess at least a quintuple.

Anyone that's played with me will know that m irons are what keeps me in the game! Today they deserted me huge time, and the score reflects that. 40+ putts wouldn't help either. But I played the 4 par 3's at 6 over par. Speaks volumes for my game, since I'm pretty good at paring the 3's.

Moe Norman
5th January 2008, 12:56 PM
I shot 90 today for net 84.

I made 10 on the 12th (my 3rd) and 8 on the 13th (my 4th) for consecutive quintuple bogeys.

It was hard to get motivated after that, for the 10 on the Par 5 I was greenside for 2 and for the 8 on the Par 3 I was hitting a greenside pitch for my second shot.

How I managed to walk away with quintuple bogeys on these 2 holes is beyond me!

goughy
5th January 2008, 02:01 PM
Oh, forgot two things. I saw a promo poster for the club today that had lots of various shots of people playing golf. The bottom left corner is me putting and wearing my ozgolf shirt. Unfortunately the poster was in the toilets :(

The second is that I got to the first tee, pulled out my club and went and sat on the chair on the edge of the tee box. I looked down, and realised my shirt was inside out! Oops!!! :)

JimBob
5th January 2008, 02:42 PM
Played MM today, 73 for a nett 66.

Probably the worst I could have shot......14 birdie putts, alas only made 1.

Courty
5th January 2008, 08:59 PM
Monthly Medal today also. My story is much like Moe's. I had a couple of doubles, a triple, and a quintuple bogey. Not bothering with stats... it hurts too much to think about it right now. :cry:

Bruce
5th January 2008, 09:00 PM
Taking the new bats out for their first run on the course today. Perhaps MM day isn't the best time to do this sort of thing.

Disgraceful play. Near tears at some point with how badly I messed up holes. Making doubles after driving to the middle of the fairway. Couldn't buy a putt. If I did that 'distance made' count for the 18 holes I would have made about 5m in putts. I was AWFUL.

Yet still somehow came in with nett 72 (par 71). Expectation is a funny thing. Geez my short game is disgraceful.

BrisVegas
5th January 2008, 09:03 PM
77 gross for 39 points today at Pacific Harbour (gold tees). Fairly benign conditions as far as wind goes. Much easier than last year's champs.

12/14 FIR
13 GIR
32 putts (3 x 3-jags)

other highlights... 3 shanks. 2 x bunker lips hit, ie. took 2 goes to extracate. 3 consecutive birdies on back 9. irons were pretty solid. wedge game was good, except the three J-Arthurs... finished double, bogey, triple. noice.

PeteyD
6th January 2008, 07:10 AM
Single stab at reddy bay yesterday in constant light rain on a flooded course with tee up. Played solidly, first time ever with no wipes in a round, but did manage 8 x 1 pointers in a row. Went out with 18 points and came home with 11 :(. On a pleasing note the temporary green on 7 is no more!

shazza_rs
6th January 2008, 06:51 PM
Saturday 5/1/08 Nudgee South (Ladies Comp), Single Stab
--------------------------------------------------------
37 points (15-21) (1 wash)
Putts: 29+ (5 x 1 Putts; 12 x 2 Putts; 1 hole not finished out)
FW: 10/13
GIR: 3/18
U/D: 5/13 (1 x sand U/D)

8 x Pars; 8 x Bogies, 1 x DBogey; 1 Other (hole not finished out)

Didn't seem to get into too much trouble off the tee. Although i only hit 3/18 GIR, i wasn't going for them on par 4's if i was 150m+ out from the hole, so i was usually laying up and trusting my short game. Seemed to work okay as i had 5 U/D's. The hole i washed was just a stupid 2nd shot followed by a stupid 3rd shot (tee shot went right into the trees and it took me 2 shots to get back into the fairway).

Hcp should drop from 14.4 to 14.1 if CCR is ACR like it should be.

shazza_rs
6th January 2008, 07:00 PM
Sunday 6/1/08 Nudgee North, Single Stab
--------------------------------------------------------
32 points (14-18 ) (4 x washes)
Putts: 30+ (4 x 1 Putts; 13 x 2 Putts; 1 hole not finished out)
FW: 11/14
GIR: 4/18
U/D: 3/14 (1 x sand U/D)

1 x Birdie; 7 x Pars; 4 x Bogies, 2 x DBogies; 3 x TBogies; 1 Other (hole not finished out)

Didn't seem to get into too much trouble off the tee. Once again, although i only hit 4/18 GIR, i wasn't going for them on par 4's if i was 150m+ out from the hole, so i was usually laying up and trusting my short game. Worked okay again with 3 U/D's but didn't feel as good as yesterday. Game was pretty slow today as we followed a social group; got beyond the joke towards the end as the group 2 infront of us was a group of 5!!

Hcp should go back out 0.1 to 14.2... net 0.2 reduction for the weekend.

AndyP
6th January 2008, 07:21 PM
Nice structured posts, Shaz. Well done on the first score and predicted drop in handicap.

I've recently relegated double bogeys to an 'other', as I don't really want them on my card being off 10. How do you feel about your triples? Or were you only noting the 'others' because you didn't hole out?

shazza_rs
6th January 2008, 07:27 PM
Nah.. triples could be considered others.... off my handicap with a shot on a hole a DB still gains 1 point so it stays out of the 'others'.

I have started a 'golf diary' of sorts for the year to track my game and to also track my handicap (which i'm supposed to do as a lady... i've been pretty slack with this and leaving it up to golflink which isn't always reliable).

Courty
6th January 2008, 07:48 PM
I have started a 'golf diary' of sorts for the year to track my game

Can you elaborate more? I'm trying to do the same, but haven't figured out the best way to do so. Are you tracking all the detail in a spreadsheet like Rusty's or is it some other method?

shazza_rs
6th January 2008, 08:03 PM
I'm keeping the regular stats.. ie FW, GIR, putts, u/d etc... However with my game the stats can be very misleading. I also write down thoughts from the round (after the round of course). For example yesterday and today i didn't hit very many GIR but i wasn't going for them either so i made a note of when i was and wasn't going for the green. I'm also writing down the stuff ups (ie duffed/knifed chips, bad putts; short ones missed, ramming first putts past etc; more of a course management stat i guess). At the moment I'm just noting it all down in a book. Pete is looking at doing up a spreadsheet... obviously not as detailed as Rusty's though. ;)

rocket
6th January 2008, 08:16 PM
Shazza how do you find the time during a round to note all this info, what form do your notes take while playing, I think its a great idea and a surefire way to improve your game.

shazza_rs
6th January 2008, 08:25 PM
Its pretty easy to do... I grab an extra scorecard... Its a simple tick and flick kinda arrangement.

I have a column for FW, GIR and U/D.... all just get a tick or cross when i'm writing the score down at the end of the hole. I make a note of when i'm in sand by simply writing an 'S' on the card. Pretty generic notes. I just make sure i do the stats up as soon as i get home as i'd forget otherwise.

rocket
6th January 2008, 08:26 PM
simple yet effective.

Courty
6th January 2008, 08:40 PM
Well done, Shaz. Thanks for that.

I've actually been toying with the idea of making up a card with boxes for all the stats, then laminating it. That way, I can use a Sharpie to make the notes, then wipe it clean & reuse it for the next round (after the stats are transferred to a spreadsheet).

markTHEblake
6th January 2008, 10:55 PM
You two cant remember your shots for the round - too much drinking maybe?

goughy
7th January 2008, 05:41 AM
I used to just enter them into intelligolf when I got home from my round. I remembered every shot and score.

Courty
7th January 2008, 06:39 AM
You two cant remember your shots for the round - too much drinking maybe?

Depends how much detail you are trying to remember, Blakey.

AndyP
7th January 2008, 06:42 AM
http://www.freegolfinfo.com/gametrack3/putting_green.asp

Nearly every course I have played is in their database. You can print out either a generic scorecard or a course scorecard before your round to mark down your stats.

3oneday
7th January 2008, 06:43 AM
Depends how much detail you are trying to remember, Blakey.which branch it bounced off ? what way the grass was lying ? How hard can it be ??? :roll:

;)

Courty
7th January 2008, 06:48 AM
http://www.freegolfinfo.com/gametrack3/putting_green.asp

Nearly every course I have played is in their database. You can print out either a generic scorecard or a course scorecard before your round to mark down your stats.

Thanks AP. I'll check it out.

Bruce
7th January 2008, 08:21 AM
I try to live 'in the moment' out on the course. I need to be able to forget the train wrecks on previous holes or I would be a basket case before the turn.

As such I can't remember much about the round at the end of the day unless I think really hard.

shazza_rs
7th January 2008, 09:01 AM
I don't have a particularly good memory... if i don't play the course regularly enough i don't even remember the holes... It took me about 2 years of playing my home course to remember holes. Even now i have to count them out in my head.

Flowergirl
7th January 2008, 01:02 PM
Nice rounds of golf there Shazza. Very impressed with the up and downs. Also like your approach to the par 4's. Easy to get too greedy and go for the GIR from a long way out and get into real trouble. Laying up is a good option. My short game is still letting me down on this but I'm improving.
This year I'm also going to keep better stats and record not only my games but my practise sessions also. It's amazing how I can find a "key" and then forget about it again for a few weeks.
Luckily I can always recall every shot I've played after a round. Just a matter then of recording it.

Stoney
7th January 2008, 02:43 PM
Saturday 5/1/2007 - Wynnum Golf Club - Monthly Medal

73 Gross - 71 Net - constant rain for the first 13 holes.

Tough conditions for scoring, putted porley and had plenty on chances. Only 1 birdie which was a 2in tap in on 17. On a positive note it was the worst score I could have had.

6 fairways
10 greens
28 putts
1/2 sand saves

BrisVegas
7th January 2008, 03:21 PM
welcome back stoney.

Stoney
8th January 2008, 11:46 AM
welcome back stoney.

Vegas, it is great to be back.

I just wish I could play as much golf as you. Your Mrs must be a saint.

PeteyD
8th January 2008, 01:03 PM
I think he has fewer offspring ;)

BrisVegas
8th January 2008, 01:08 PM
Vegas, it is great to be back.

I just wish I could play as much golf as you. Your Mrs must be a saint.

you've had a pretty good run for the past 10 years or so mate. :roll: I've had barely 12 months of almost-weekly golf and it all comes to an end in April.

3oneday
8th January 2008, 01:32 PM
You guys seriously should grow some :p

;)

Matt 3 Jab
9th January 2008, 07:36 PM
Played 9 at bankstown the other day

hit it well, shot +1 for the 9, few birdies, few bogies.

12th hole, bombed it with the new one and hit 9 iron into the green. loving the x driver.