PDA

View Full Version : Ozgolf Championship Trophy

Jono
12th October 2004, 05:14 AM
I'll run this poll for 5 days only since the Ozgolf Champs are less than 3 weeks away. I've chosen a few from the Metropolitan Trophies website that AndyP pointed me to.

Hopefully, the Ozgolf Championships will become an anual event and this trophy its coveted prize. This could be history in the making ... :lol:

This poll is open for all Ozgolfers, not just the guys coming to the Cool-Tweed event this year.

I was thinking of engraving "Ozgolf Champion" on the base of the trophy. Or "Ozgolf.net Champion". If you have any other suggestions, please post here.

Also, if you have any suggestion for the name of the trophy, please post here.

amanda
12th October 2004, 07:21 AM
John - is the last option supposed to be a double negative that implies any trophy will do?

AndyP
12th October 2004, 08:40 AM
We don't have to get the trophy from this website. It's just one that popped up in an internet search.

There is a trophy place within a walkable distance from the city that I could go and check out. I think they only need a weeks notice to do their stuff.

I think the cup itself needs to be engraved with OZgolf.net Champion. Then each year, the year and name gets engraved on the base plates. Unless we do it the other way round. :?

The third or fourth one for me, probably the third because of cost.

Iain
12th October 2004, 09:02 AM
I say number 3 too. It's the best looking in my opinion.

Mandy,
I don't think it was meant to be a double negative... Just a way of saying that someone doesn't want a trophy.... :wink:

What about a plaque or something small (and cheap) that the winner gets to keep after he (or she) has returned the trophy the next year?? :?:

AndyP
12th October 2004, 09:21 AM
What about a plaque or something small (and cheap) that the winner gets to keep after he (or she) has returned the trophy the next year?? :?:
Totally agree. I'm sure it can be arranged.

markTHEblake
12th October 2004, 09:42 AM
Post the pics in the thread so its easy to see em!
thanks

Jono
12th October 2004, 10:05 AM
There is a trophy place within a walkable distance from the city that I could go and check out. I think they only need a weeks notice to do their stuff.

Let's run this poll to see which trophy people prefer. If you can find something similar (looks/size/price) locally, we can go with that. Or we can order from these guys on the net. I think we should get the trophy sorted out by end of next week.

I think the cup itself needs to be engraved with OZgolf.net Champion. Then each year, the year and name gets engraved on the base plates. Unless we do it the other way round. :?

I think the first way is better. Large letters for Ozgolf.net Champion on the cup and then smaller lettering for the winners on the base.

Fishman Dan
12th October 2004, 10:23 AM
I don't want to dampen the spirit, but this is all a little glam?!

Whale.
Spraypaint.
Plate on sole to engrave.

And it's cheaper than those trophies ;)

Iain
12th October 2004, 10:32 AM

Whale.
Spraypaint.

But it's crap..... :wink:

AndyP
12th October 2004, 10:32 AM

Whale.
Spraypaint.

I can't recall the owner giving permission to do that.
Hang on, I think Macca has it. :-k

Fishman Dan
12th October 2004, 10:34 AM

Whale.
Spraypaint.

I can't recall the owner giving permission to do that.
Hang on, I think Macca has it. :-k

We could buy a new one for about $100.

markTHEblake
12th October 2004, 10:36 AM
Whale.
Spraypaint.

Dont want to let any secrets out of the bag, but maybe we already have one of those kind of trophies ;-)

drunken
12th October 2004, 10:38 AM
I think if we're going to play with the whale it might as well be mounted. So you can put smaller plates on the base of its stand....So the whale can be enjoyed for years to come..... :wink:

Jarro
12th October 2004, 12:43 PM
shouldn't the Whale be given to whoever comes last :roll:

Lets stick with the Cup idea folks .... i vote for number 3 8)

Fishman Dan
13th October 2004, 10:40 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=18955&item=7105589629&rd=1

There's your trophy kids. Chuck in a couple more dollars i am sure you can get the couch too..

macleod
14th October 2004, 02:37 PM
or one of these for $19

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=1514&item=7106888669&rd=1

cheap,..

AndyP
14th October 2004, 03:18 PM
or one of these for $19

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=1514&item=7106888669&rd=1

cheap,..
Positives - Cheap, "Unique".
Negatives - No room for engraving future champions, Cheap.

Jarro
14th October 2004, 03:31 PM
sorry Mac :(

.. but i think the "Cup" is the way to go :smt023

macleod
14th October 2004, 04:24 PM
it matters not to me, there's not a hope in hell id get it anyway...just trying to defray any cost i might have to undergo if the powers here want a silver salver number....

Onewood
14th October 2004, 05:17 PM
.. but i think the "Cup" is the way to go :smt023

Would a shield do the trick :roll:

I have to get a trohpy for a golf day for work and could probably sneak a nice shield through :wink:

drunken
14th October 2004, 05:22 PM
Would a shield do the trick :roll:

I have to get a trohpy for a golf day for work and could probably sneak a nice shield through :wink:

That's exactly what I was just thinking. Not overly expensive, but still classy. We have one for the family tipping comp 8)

Jarro
14th October 2004, 06:48 PM
[quote=Onewood]Would a shield do the trick :roll:

. We have one for the family tipping comp 8)

geez, you guys take your tipping comps seriously :shock:

drunken
14th October 2004, 07:22 PM
geez, you guys take your tipping comps seriously :shock:

Should have around 25 tipsters next year 8)

Jono
14th October 2004, 07:24 PM
If trophy number 3 gets chosen, it's $60. Divide that amongst 20 players, and it works out 3 bucks each. Not a big price to pay for a nice trophy that should last for years to come (and it will provide one incentive to keep the Ozgolf Championships going each year).

Drunken, can you provide a photo of the shield you are talking about? Thanks.

AndyP
15th October 2004, 06:51 AM
Give us a look at this shield, or provide a link to something similar on the Metro trophies site. Otherwise we will just go with a cup like the third option.
We are running out of time.

amanda
15th October 2004, 07:57 AM
Hey all - even though I'm not playing in this year's champs - I'm hoping to be at the next one - so I'd be happy to put in a few bucks if need be.

Fishman Dan
15th October 2004, 08:16 AM
Negatives - No room for engraving future champions, Cheap.

How many of these champs do you think there are going to be? ;)

Besides, $19 x 10 years of doing this = same price.

We're up to page 30 or something for the champs and entrants are dropping like flies - besides, it can't be a real champs if everyone can't attend (isn't that right, Amanda/G69/Spiersy/Tim Finchem ;))

Jono
17th October 2004, 07:28 PM
How many of these champs do you think there are going to be? ;)

The champs will go on as long as Ozgolf forum exists. If there is only one competitor, then he will be the winner. If the previous year's winner is unable to attend, then he will be required to post the trophy to someone who will be attending the champs. The list of names on the trophy will grow. Tradition will be created. Some day, golfers will gather from all around Australia, and perhaps from nearby countries, leaving their loved ones behind, ignoring other so called events like horse races, to attend the weekend of golf feast known as the Ozgolf Championships. Do you dare to be part of this history in the making, Mr Fish Fillet? :wink: :lol:

Jarro
17th October 2004, 07:47 PM
your enthusiasm for this is highly admirable Jono 8)

I too would like to think that the Trophy we choose now will be competed for in years to come .....so let's make sure we get a good one :wink:

AndyP
20th October 2004, 07:02 PM
The wheels are in motion with this one, guys.

Walked to the trophy shop today (nice day for a walk :roll: ), and have organised a trophy.
It should look exactly like the third option we chose, except it will have a round base to make it look a bit better.
"OZgolf.net Champion" will be engraved on the cup.

Have also ordered two medals
2004 OZgolf.net Champion
2004 OZgolf.net Gross Champion (Think I might change this to Gross Winner though :-k, I think only one person should have bragging rights of winner)

drunken
20th October 2004, 07:05 PM
So how much are the comp fee's looking like AP???? I might have to try & sell some gear before next week.

Jono
20th October 2004, 07:09 PM
Well done, AndyP. :smt023

So how much are the comp fee's looking like AP???? I might have to try & sell some gear before next week.

I don't think it will cost that much per person for the trophy and the medals ... I'm more worried about the amount we'll spend doing the pub crawl the night before ... :lol:

AndyP
20th October 2004, 07:11 PM
As if you guys need a reason to sell or buy gear. :roll:

Not exactly sure yet. But somewhere around the $10 mark seems likely.

damoocow
20th October 2004, 07:26 PM
Just wondering why we have any prizes for gross winners ? - As I see it only a couple of people have a chance at this which to my mind doesn't give the rest of the field a look in - I would have thought it would have been fairer to only go with scores after hcaps as that way we all have a fair chance.
damoocow

Jono
20th October 2004, 07:38 PM
Just wondering why we have any prizes for gross winners ? - As I see it only a couple of people have a chance at this which to my mind doesn't give the rest of the field a look in - I would have thought it would have been fairer to only go with scores after hcaps as that way we all have a fair chance.
damoocow

That's why the official trophy goes to the best nett score. So everyone has a chance to win the trophy ... whether you are off scratch or 27.

I have next to zero chance of winning the best gross, but I still think we should have a prize for it. The best (Oz)golfer of the day should have SOME bragging rights, don't you think? :wink:

damoocow
20th October 2004, 07:46 PM
Jono - basically No is my response - gross reflects natural talent and ability to me / nett reflects grinding and determination and a bit of luck which is why it should be the only thing rewarded in this comp in my opinion.
damoocow

Jono
20th October 2004, 07:56 PM
Jono - basically No is my response - gross reflects natural talent and ability to me / nett reflects grinding and determination and a bit of luck which is why it should be the only thing rewarded in this comp in my opinion.
damoocow

In the famous words of Gary Coleman in "Different Strokes" ... "What are you, Communist?" :wink:

I think talent should be rewarded. I think hard work during the year should be rewarded. I think having a low handicap should be rewarded.

Heck, if we wanted everyone to have equal chance of winning, we should forget about golf and just draw people's names out of a hat! :lol:

damoocow
20th October 2004, 08:08 PM
Jono - I think you may be confusing yourself ! - talent and hard work do not always go hand in hand - having a separate prize which can only be won by low handicappers means the comp is not a level playing field - I still do not understand why in a handicap comp all players do not have a fair and equal chance of winning ?
damoocow

markTHEblake
20th October 2004, 08:16 PM
It has not even been determined that there will be any prize on offer at all for a best gross score (apart from the obvious bragging rights) so there is no need for any fuss.

damoocow
20th October 2004, 08:21 PM
blakey - if you look back in this thread I am pretty sure AP mentions that he has ordered a gross prize [trophy / medal?] .
damoocow

markTHEblake
20th October 2004, 08:46 PM
ok if it makes everyone happy, everyone off single figures canput in an extra $2 to pay for the piece of tin.

and becuase higher handicappers have a greater probabilty of winning the Nett, they can put in an extra $5

Jono
20th October 2004, 10:07 PM
Damo, you can argue until the cows come home (pun definitely intended :wink: ), but most competitions have a prize for the best gross score. If you or I feel that we are not good enough to have a chance at it this year, then perhaps we should work harder to get down to a lower handicap by this time next year. (ie. something to aim for) In the mean time, we can have a crack at the Ozgolf trophy. Remember, trophy = BIG, best gross prize = small. :lol:

MTB, you are being silly again ... :? :lol:

markTHEblake
20th October 2004, 10:40 PM
I aint being silly, just stating the obvious that if a higher handicapper wants to complain about not winning the gross, then low markers have equal if not more grounds to complain about the nett.

Its a simple fact that high handicappers rarely win a gross event.
in comparison low handicappers rarely win a net event - becuase there is less of them and harder to improve their score relatively.

That is why club compettion's have A, B, C grades - this is not done for the benefit of the C graders.

Jarro
21st October 2004, 04:19 AM
sorry Moocow, i agree with the boys.. we HAVE to have a best gross prize.. it's just the done thing.

AndyP
21st October 2004, 05:54 AM
I didn't comment last night, because I wanted to see what you guys decided. I think we'll leave the gross medal in, after all, it's only a medal.

McMw
21st October 2004, 08:56 AM
without having read all the pages...what's the prize breakdown???

(just curious)... :D

one for best nett and one for best gross (only?)

you guys should perhaps consider a r/up prize as well...

w/spoon??? :wink:

AndyP
21st October 2004, 09:09 AM
without having read all the pages...what's the prize breakdown???

you guys should perhaps consider a r/up prize as well...

w/spoon??? :wink:
Best Nett = Champion
Best Gross
1 Longest drive
1 Nearest the pin
Possibly a Wooden Spoon Prize

A runner-up is only the first loser. They don't deserve anything. :wink:

markTHEblake
21st October 2004, 10:28 AM
I am going to rustle up a few knick knacks, maybbe a hat or two. Bottle of Vino.

Anyone who has access to some stuff like marketing gear, should bring something along as well. Suggest emailing Andy what your bringing and he can knock up a list.

Wooden Spoons are cheap.
Plastic Dummies are cheap.
Long drives arent fair for short hitters.

damoocow
21st October 2004, 12:53 PM
on relection and after reading back through this thread I can see the point made in the higher hcappers advantage in winning best nett - maybe it is not fair to call them the 'overall champion' ??- maybe we should go to A and B grades but call them something else - maybe single figures could be Masters Grade or Hogan Grade and up to teens could be Seve Grade or something similar and all those maybe 20 or over could be Daly Grade [or Hoch Grade} so that you are at least playing against people with a similar talent or lack of - and yes blakey - longest drive will indeed open a can of worms!
damoocow

AndyP
21st October 2004, 01:56 PM
- maybe ....
- maybe ....
- maybe ..... maybe
- maybe your brilliant ideas should have surfaced before we got so close to the date of the Championships.

McMw
21st October 2004, 02:27 PM
Best Nett = Champion
Best Gross
1 Longest drive
1 Nearest the pin
Possibly a Wooden Spoon Prize

A runner-up is only the first loser. They don't deserve anything. :wink:

NTP is a good idea...just make it on the shortest par3 to give everyone a chance...

Longest Drive isn't...you prob have only 3-5 guys in contention...

still think you'll need a runner-up prize for both...
if you want, you can insribe First Loser on the plate... :wink:

Jarro
21st October 2004, 02:31 PM
i'm willing to donate a couple of movies from my "Collection" as prizes if anyone likes :wink:

McMw
21st October 2004, 02:32 PM
okay....I've just read thru the 4 pages... :oops:

you guys need to also consider who's gonna be in charge (re: pay) for inscribing the name of the winners from year to year...

don't mind me....not that I'm gonna play or anything...just thought some (very late) feedback might be useful... :oops:

AndyP
21st October 2004, 02:54 PM
NTP is a good idea...just make it on the shortest par3 to give everyone a chance...

They still need to hit the fairway.

if you want, you can insribe First Loser on the plate... :wink:
No more trophies/medals/plaques will be ordered.
First Loser may get a prize though. (possibly donated by jarro :wink: )

you guys need to also consider who's gonna be in charge (re: pay) for inscribing the name of the winners from year to year...
Comp fee will cover this years, and a future "comp" fee can cover "future" years.

McMw
21st October 2004, 02:58 PM
They still need to hit the fairway.[/quote]

fair enuff - find the narrowest fairway on the course!!! :lol:

AndyP
21st October 2004, 03:08 PM
They still need to hit the fairway.

fair enuff - find the narrowest fairway on the course!!! :lol:
That's exactly what I was thinking, a nice narrow fairway.

g69, Blakey, you guys know the course. Can you think of any suitable holes?

markTHEblake
21st October 2004, 06:20 PM

cant think of any better hole for a long drive than the 36th (480m or so par 5), for lots of reasons, one is that everybody who has finished can watch.

The NTP put on the 37th. about 170m Not a long walk back if the last group forgets to bring it in.

Jarro
21st October 2004, 06:33 PM
The NTP put on the 37th. about 170m .

.. maybe a shorter par 3 would be better :smt017

one that most of us have a chance of hitting.

AndyP
22nd October 2004, 05:28 AM

The NTP put on the 37th. about 170m Not a long walk back if the last group forgets to bring it in.
37th?? :? Isn't it a 36 hole course?

Jono
22nd October 2004, 05:47 AM
My suggestions ... (I played each course once only)

NTP: 10th on the River Course is a short Par 3 that most people should be able to hit.

Longest Drive: Lot of doglegs on this course, so we need to pick a straight hole for the longest drive. 18th on the West Course. Long, straight, and relatively tight.

markTHEblake
22nd October 2004, 09:40 AM
Oops. I meant the 36th hole for the long drive, and its an identical hole to the 18th.

If we put it on the 18th, nobody will hang around to watch cos they will want to have lunch. But on the 36th hole there will be a nice gallery. There is no other hole that makes sense for a long drive.

The 10th on the River course (our 28th) is the shortest Par 3.

drunken
22nd October 2004, 11:12 AM
yeah 18th on the River Course for long drive & 10th on the River course for NTP sounds good to me.

AndyP
1st November 2004, 10:27 AM
For those who don't already know, there were some complications with the trophies. The complications being that the guy I was dealing with was a slack-a*se w*nker. :smt013 :smt014 :smt076 (Abbott & Sons Trophies, Bowen Hills, beware :evil: )

To summarise:
He ordered a trophy less than half the size of the trophy that we wanted (it seemed tiny in comparison, amusing in hindsight).
He failed to call me after finding this out on the Friday.
He took it upon himself to not engrave the medals, as he assumed I would want to sort out the trophy first.
He waited until I arrived at 3pm on Saturday, to pick them up on our way to the Gold Coast before telling me this. :smt031
](*,)

Fortunately, he didn't get any money out of me (and won't be), and I had Tezza there to help me deal with the situation (I think I was in some sort of state of shock thinking about all the disappointed OZgolf members).

Now with time on our side, I will be able to suss out a few options and provide the trohies/medals retrospectively and fully engraved with the names. \:D/
Of course, if I don't those who have provided the comp fee so far, will hunt me down. 8-[

AndyP
2nd March 2005, 08:39 PM
Finally, finally, finally we have some retrospective trophies for the 2004 Champs, as well as our perpetual Cup.

Here is the cup:
http://img14.imgspot.com/u/05/60/04/TheChampionshipCup.JPG
Upgraded from our initial planned size to 38cm high (originally 21cm (http://www.metrotrophies.com/sil/sil-detail.asp?auto=121)). It's no McLeod Cup, but it's a great looking trophy. It was hard to get a good photo of it, because it is so damn shiny.

"OZgolf.net Champion" has been sand blasted onto the cup face (apparently engraving can stuff up the silver plating).
Their are four winner badges per side, so we have room for 15 more Champs. If it goes beyond that (and let's hope it does), then we can remove the badges, and put all the past winners names on one big side plate, and start all over again with the badges. Alternatively you can add another base to the bottom.

Here is a piccie of last year's champion badge:
http://img14.imgspot.com/u/05/60/04/2004WinningBadge.JPG

I also got 3 medallions, instead of the two initially planned. I thought that considering there were 19 of us, that the runner up probably deserved one (even though they 4 putted on the last).
http://img14.imgspot.com/u/05/60/04/2004MedallionsFront.JPG
http://img14.imgspot.com/u/05/60/04/2004MedallionsBack78096.JPG

Gold - "2004 OZgolf.net CHAMPION" - Iain
Silver - "2004 OZgolf.net RUNNER UP" - Choppa
Bronze - "2004 OZgolf.net GROSS WINNER" - Gazgolf

Now all I have to do is chase up the money owed. Come forward now, or an enforcer will be chasing you down.
http://img14.imgspot.com/u/05/60/04/TerrytheEnforcer.jpg

terryand
2nd March 2005, 08:48 PM
How did you get a pic of my evil supersize twin :?

Terry.

Onewood
2nd March 2005, 08:59 PM
I was'nt there last year so what is it worth, I'll fix you up on Sunday :P

AndyP
2nd March 2005, 09:01 PM
He's a mean one, isn't he?
That's at CTH, practice green just behind "him". I am in the same photo I cut it from, but just off to the left, completely unaware that a "happy" snap was being taken.

terryand
2nd March 2005, 09:07 PM
He's a mean one, isn't he?
That's at CTH, practice green just behind "him". I am in the same photo I cut it from, but just off to the left, completely unaware that a "happy" snap was being taken.

It was before 6am from memory.

Oh yeah and there was those phone calls :x

Terry.

shavey
2nd March 2005, 10:58 PM
great photo and tag.. very funny...

Trung
2nd March 2005, 11:16 PM

Terry.

geeeeez, you can stop now :^o 8-[

AP.. Great looking trophy mate....

terryand
3rd March 2005, 07:44 AM

Terry.

geeeeez, you can stop now :^o 8-[

AP.. Great looking trophy mate....

Fellin a bit guilty there Trungie :smt102 :wink:

I made no reference to who made the calls [-( :D

Terry.

Jarro
3rd March 2005, 03:02 PM

.. but we all knew who it was anyway :wink:

didn't we :?

Onewood
3rd March 2005, 07:02 PM

Sorry :oops: I wasn't there last year, so can someone fill me in, on what all this phone stuff is about :wink: :D

Jarro
3rd March 2005, 07:35 PM

Sorry :oops: I wasn't there last year, so can someone fill me in, on what all this phone stuff is about :wink: :D

.. ask Trung :roll: :wink:

Onewood
3rd March 2005, 07:51 PM

.. ask Trung :roll: :wink:

Trungy buddy :? whats all this about :?:

Trung
3rd March 2005, 08:38 PM
Sorry mate....

what happened on tour stay on tour :wink:

PS.. anyone sharing a room with me on the next trip? :twisted:

terryand
3rd March 2005, 08:49 PM
I'll bunk with you Trungie.

Warn you thou, I have one of these coming.

http://www.anthony-escapes.com/images/man_be2.jpg

Terry.

Onewood
3rd March 2005, 08:52 PM
Sorry mate....

what happened on tour stay on tour :wink:

PS.. anyone sharing a room with me on the next trip? :twisted:
enough said 8)

I will share a room with you mate :wink: [is this the right time to use the word MATE :? ] Coz surely you would'nt ring someone you knew was asleep :wink: :D

Onewood
3rd March 2005, 08:55 PM
Tezza, is that the model with the little cut out in the back section :D

Trung
3rd March 2005, 08:56 PM
I'll bunk with you Trungie.

Warn you thou, I have one of these coming.

http://img164.exs.cx:81/img164/7958/manbe28ph.th.jpg (http://img164.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img164&image=manbe28ph.jpg)

Terry.

Your bringing ANTHONY?

[-X :smt019 :smt119 :smt078
=========================================
come on Terry...

you could do better than that...

Gabrielle Richens
http://img226.exs.cx:81/img226/4811/girl23image11wq.th.jpg (http://img226.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img226&image=girl23image11wq.jpg)

Think I will skip the first 18s and meet up in the arvo for the second 18s :lol:

=========================================

Trung
3rd March 2005, 08:58 PM
Coz surely you would'nt ring someone you knew was asleep :wink: :D
How do you know you gonna be sleeping? Just ask Drunken... 8-[