PDA

View Full Version : Ping WRX wedge grinds?

goughy
28th December 2007, 07:57 PM
I'm looking at getting one of the new tour-w wedges in 56* and benching my 54*, and maybe the 60* too. so I'll be after something versatile.

I don't really 'get' all the grinds. I was thinking of getting a 56* with 10* bounce, and some grinds so that I can really open it up. I'm just hitting my 60* poorly out of bunkers, and generally just hit it short all the time. In the past I had no probs hitting flops etc with a really open face 56*.

I'm playing a variety of conditions, especially in bunkers. My course has everything from soft sand, no sand, hard sand etc. Generally the grass is nice for chipping.

What would be considered the best all round grind on a ping wedge?

Pinglauncher
28th December 2007, 08:05 PM
Goughy, I currently have the "T" grind on both my 52* and 58* Ping Tours. This does not reduce the bounce but gives heel relief and reduces the sole width.

Makes it pretty easy to open up and I have found them very playable in all conditions.

just
28th December 2007, 09:05 PM
Goughy

This link:
http://www.pinggolf.com/pdfs/PINGWrx_Fall2007.pdf
is the Ping WRX pdf that shows the different grinds in pictures and explains the use of each.
just

goughy
28th December 2007, 09:45 PM
Yeah, I've read it Just. But I haven't worked out which would be the best, all round grind. If anything, I'd be guessing the T. Not that I don't think the wedges would be ok without them, but I want to use my 60* less, so I want something I can open up easily.

And I'm still tossing up between the 10* and 14* bounce, although the 14* doesn't come in the cool black chrome finish.

goughy
30th December 2007, 08:40 AM
Goughy, I currently have the "T" grind on both my 52* and 58* Ping Tours. This does not reduce the bounce but gives heel relief and reduces the sole width.

Makes it pretty easy to open up and I have found them very playable in all conditions.

So when you open them up the leading edge still keeps closeish to the ground. I found a 56* tour yesterday but when I opened it up the edge was way high!

Also, how did the grind affect the finish? I'm thinking of getting the black nickel and am wondering if I'll be left with heaps of unblacked metal after the grinds. And I'm guessing you custom ordered the wedges? How long did you have to wait for wrx'ed clubs?

Webster
30th December 2007, 08:47 AM
goughy, i have a 60* black nickel which I have ground down myself. The finish fades over time (and with a few dunks in Coke) and looks very good. I grind out the heel so that it doesnt bounce as much out of our hard bunkers. Note that the 58 and 60 degree versions come in two bounce specs (8* being the lowest). I went for the higer bounce model and just filed it down by hand. They are pretty cheap there days so its worth having a go at it yourself.

Jack

goughy
30th December 2007, 10:37 AM
I've mucked about myself with an old wedge or 2 on the sander. But I thought I'd give the tour-w a go, and they aren't around much yet.

Pinglauncher
30th December 2007, 05:09 PM
So when you open them up the leading edge still keeps closeish to the ground. I found a 56* tour yesterday but when I opened it up the edge was way high!

Also, how did the grind affect the finish? I'm thinking of getting the black nickel and am wondering if I'll be left with heaps of unblacked metal after the grinds. And I'm guessing you custom ordered the wedges? How long did you have to wait for wrx'ed clubs?

Still sits nice and tight when opened up. Grind did not effect the finish at all.

3oneday ordered them in and did not use them so I nabbed them. Not too sure what the lead time was on his order. From memory it was not too bad.

Webster
30th December 2007, 07:50 PM
Goughy, give it a go - its easy. just gotta make sure you get the lie angle right as well.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b221/threeputtzalot/GolfEbay1154.jpg

goughy
8th January 2008, 07:55 PM
Got a call from my pro today. The ping rep needed to ask me some questions.

Apart from the fact that the cs lite shafts are gone now days, he wanted to ask me about the T-grind I wanted. He needed to know what bounce I wanted after the grind.

I just expected that it was a set grind they did for each loft, and that's what you got. But he told me I could have a 14* bounce ground down to 10, or whatever. I ordered a 10* bounce before grind, and it's going to be taken down to 8* with the grind.

I was just surprised that they wanted to know that info from me. Now that's custom!

goughy
18th January 2008, 08:11 PM
Got stuck into my 60* today jack! Looking at your grind though I could give it some more. Might head back to work tomorrow.

I us the belt sander at work, using a coarser paper on the belt to start with, then a lighter one on the wheel to even it out. I've got an even lighter one for the belt too to make it look nicer. Will have to try it out Sunday!

Talking to one of the pro's at my course, he felt that most bounces were too severe for our courses. He didn't think anyone should need more than 10* in australia, and even less.

Moe Norman
18th January 2008, 08:31 PM
i have 14* on my 54* and wish I had more.