PDA

View Full Version : Announcement: Ozgolf Player of the Year 2004 - IAIN

markTHEblake
11th October 2004, 06:52 PM
The winner of the Golden Club* and
the Champion OZgolfer of the year is
IAIN

* The Golden Club is the perpetual trophy and photo will be posted soon.

Final Results - thru Ozgolf Champs.

http://img73.exs.cx/img73/2373/OzgolfPOTY.jpg

How it works

1. Points awarded per size of field, plus winner gets bonus points of half the field, ie If 10 players, then winner 15pts (10+5), 2nd 9 pts, last 1 pt. NCR 0 pt. Ties are split.

2. Scores are taken from 1st tee forum at Ozgolf.net only.

3. No limit to number of games or course played.

4. To be eligible for the Player of the Year award the Ozgolfer must have purchased an Ozgolf Shirt or made a donation to the Ozgolf website.

5. The year concludes with the Ozgolf Championships as the final event and is presented on that day.

6. I am supplying the trophy and therefore my rules apply.

7. The points table is subject to audit by any interested person, ask and I will send you the spreadsheet.

8. In the event of a Tie, a countback will apply, by counting the number of 1st places, If still a tie, 2nd places, and so on. If tie cannot be seperated a joint award will be made.

9. Dont like it? Do your own award, and supply your own trophy :-).

Iain
11th October 2004, 07:05 PM
Well done Blakey. =D> =D>

Have you been taking organising lessons off G99?? Just tell 'em how it is and thats that?? :wink:

Onewood
11th October 2004, 07:10 PM
Blakey wrote:
5. The year finishes with the Ozgolf Championships and is presented on that day.

I think it would be better to end it now :wink: :D

Jarro
11th October 2004, 08:45 PM
nice work Blakey.

you're not just a pretty face :wink:

damoocow
11th October 2004, 09:05 PM
So am i eligible for the Oz golf champs at Tweed even though I didn't buy a shirt ? -or am I not a member because I do not have one ? - so many questions , so little time.
damoocow

damoocow
11th October 2004, 09:24 PM
Maybe you bought 2 shirts!
damoocow

BrisVegas
11th October 2004, 09:44 PM
Looks fine to me I guess. I'm too tired to try and understand how the numbers were arrived at. Onewood and blakey are pretty consistent, so mkaes sense that they are at the top. Would have thought Jaster would be higher though??

Onewood
11th October 2004, 09:53 PM
Blakey...there is a massive flaw in the system...how the hell can I be in the top 10 ? :roll:

Check out the points system :roll: you get 1 point for coming last :D shite you must play a lot.....26 odd times :D

markTHEblake
11th October 2004, 10:18 PM
So many questions :?

Damo, this Trophy is seperate to the Oz Golf Championships. Its a "Player of the year" award, meaning all the events throughout the year counted. Just like the PGA Tour has a money list.
You can still play at CTH and you dont have to buy a shirt.

Vegas Yep going over the scores Onewood and myself were consistently in the better half of the field. Jaster has had 3 wins from 3 starts, but Onewoods 3 wins from 5 starts in bigger fields makes the difference

Golfer69 You would not believe it but you were right up there at an earlier stage - so much so i had to go back and start all over again....
You have played 7 events which is 3rd highest. So Onewood is partly correct.

BTW when you shot 9* at Oxley, did you play with any other Ozgolfers? I didnt count any scores from that round yet, might be worth a couple more places!

Jarro your absolutely correct for a change....

markTHEblake
11th October 2004, 10:50 PM
For you auditor types
http://www.theblake.net/ftp/OzgolfPOTY.xls

terryand
11th October 2004, 11:26 PM
Hey, why can't we do this over the calender year, seeing as it is Player of the YEAR :smt102

Just because we where under a different banner shouldn't matter.

We where still playing as the same group :smt023

Terry.

markTHEblake
12th October 2004, 12:05 AM
IMHO I considered a calender year, that but thought it better to have it finalised on the biggest day of the year, as most of us will be there, and its still wide open, particularily for the top 7 so far.

Oh you mean getting the scores from that 'other' site...... I can do that but only if you really want me too.

Jarro
12th October 2004, 04:28 AM
just leave it how it is for this year.

Next year we'll get a full year in and then most folks will be able to play in more comps :wink:

Eag's
12th October 2004, 07:26 AM
Blakey, am I on 31 or 6.5 points :?:

terryand
12th October 2004, 07:56 AM
How about just putting in the game from Middle Ridge in Feb, asit was one of our biggest turn outs.

Terry.

BrisVegas
12th October 2004, 08:02 AM
How about just putting in the game from Middle Ridge in Feb, asit was one of our biggest turn outs.

Terry.

Yeah, good call. There were heaps of us there for that one. And, if I'm not mistaken, Tezza shot the lights out!! :lol: 8)

terryand
12th October 2004, 08:08 AM

Terry.

Yeah, good call. There were heaps of us there for that one. And, if I'm not mistaken, Tezza shot the lights out!! :lol: 8)

Did he....Oh yeah 8)

Terry.

markTHEblake
12th October 2004, 10:12 AM
I thought Horton park was pretty big too, who shot the lights out there?

Eags, looks like you have moved up to 37.5 pts

AndyP
12th October 2004, 10:18 AM
1. Shouldn't Jaster get points from the last Toowoomba round?
2. Drunken should get a point from the Glades round, therefore I get a bonus point there as well.
3. Can we add the McLeod Cup event? :wink: :roll: Nah, leave it as OZgolf events only.
4. What happens in the event that nine OZgolfers play in an event, but only six of those are shirt owners?
5. Is the OZgolf Champs included in this year's POTY or next year's? (I think it should be this years) If so, will each round be counted separately?

markTHEblake
12th October 2004, 10:55 AM

Which round was that.

2. Drunken should get a point from the Glades round, therefore I get a bonus point there as well.

NCR = 0 points.

I have given you the extra points, sorry about that.

4. What happens in the event that nine OZgolfers play in an event, but only six of those are shirt owners?

At the end of the 'season' anybody who doesnt own a shirt will be ineligible. Otherwise the shirt 'rule' has no impact on points for any individual event.

Is the OZgolf Champs included in this year's POTY or next year's? (I think it should be this years)

This year.

If so, will each round be counted separately?

You mean like the brownlow medal count? nah, unless there is a heap of games between now and then we could keep the score secret.

drunken
12th October 2004, 11:11 AM

NCR = 0 points.

I have given you the extra points, sorry about that.

Hmmm I must have posted the score in a different thread then...Because we did talk about it..... :-k

markTHEblake
12th October 2004, 11:13 AM
I have set up a 24 hour poll, as there were a few request for a different time period. Some might have even been genuine. Vote if you like.

If there is a Tie I will award the deciding vote to Golfer69 for 2 reasons;
1. he cant win it.
2. it makes him feel nice and squishy when he tells you lot what to do.

AndyP
12th October 2004, 11:15 AM

Which round was that.

Toowoomba City Pro-am (not Middle Ridge). Sunday 19/9.

Is the OZgolf Champs included in this year's POTY or next year's? (I think it should be this years)
This year.

If so, will each round be counted separately?
You mean like the brownlow medal count? nah, unless there is a heap of games between now and then we could keep the score secret.
No, I was referring to the fact that we play 36 holes in the Champs. Are the points for the whole event, or each 18 holes?

Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions. :wink:

damoocow
12th October 2004, 11:19 AM
Now if I win the Ozgolf champs at Tweed and I do not have a 'special' shirt does that mean there can be a protest by a 'special' shirt wearer and I will then be stripped of the title ??
damoocow

markTHEblake
12th October 2004, 11:19 AM
Hmmm I must have posted the score in a different thread then...Because we did talk about it..... :-k

Mate, sorry but after reading through about 150 pages of crapping on to dig out a few scores I aint going over it again! I did look hard for it.

however feel free to look it up and provide me with a link and page number and i will update it.

Same goes for any other score 'queries', as there is a good chance i may have missed some. PM the details.

eg. there was a game at Lakelands but no scores were posted at all.

markTHEblake
12th October 2004, 11:24 AM
Now if I win the Ozgolf champs at Tweed and I do not have a 'special' shirt does that mean there can be a protest by a 'special' shirt wearer and I will then be stripped of the title ??
damoocow

Damo, we are talking about Player of the Year here, not the Ozgolf champs. So the answer is NO becuase it has nothing to do with the OZgolf Champs event.

Fishman Dan
12th October 2004, 11:28 AM
damoocow

Perhaps we need a Yellow shirt to be worn by the 1/2 way mark leader ;)

BrisVegas
12th October 2004, 12:59 PM
Hey MTB, would you mind putting the event dates on your spreadsheet please.

Thanks heaps. Can't believe you bothered to sit down and do all that work! :shock:

AndyP
12th October 2004, 01:10 PM
I want each round colour coded too. :P
Good work Blakey. :cool:

Thanks heaps. Can't believe you bothered to sit down and do all that work! :shock:
I wouldn't even consider doing that on dial-up at home. Worktime on the other hand .......... :wink:

AndyP
12th October 2004, 01:16 PM
The Club Champs will be a BIG point scoring game. :shock:
Could tip the POTY ladder on it's head.
Damn shame the current leader isn't playing. :mrgreen:

markTHEblake
12th October 2004, 01:22 PM

No thanks, see your 2nd comment below...... 8)

They are in order, reading from left to right, matching last to recent posts in the 1st tee thread.

took about 90 mins.

goughy
12th October 2004, 05:44 PM
I think from every ozgolf gathering there should be one person who submitts all results to mtb. If he's doing all this work for it I think the least we can do is try and make it a little easier.

Blakey, if you put a post in 1st Tee explaining that all official ozgolf results that qualify for the poty must be submitted to you via email or pm (whatever) and if they're not submitted then they won't count. You chouldn't have to go searching for all the info, and all we need is for one person to gather the results from the day.

I'll make it an announcement and lock it down. Just put anything in it you want.

Onewood
12th October 2004, 07:11 PM
http://www.ozgolf.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=475

one you missed mate :wink:

I think there was Jarro, Nudgee, Eags and Paul there :D

great spread sheet and well done 8) you got me out of the poo a bit :roll: I was looking at this at one stage, but your score system has topped it off :P great job

damoocow
12th October 2004, 09:04 PM
Now I might be the only one who thinks like this - but I have a problem with this 'ozgolf shirt' only thing - I appreciate the fact that an individual is donating the prize and therefore it is their call - but it seems to be developing into a haves and have nots - maybe I am just paranoid [I certainly don't play enough to have any chance of figuring in any player of the year awards] - but to my fragile mind I get the feeling that we have a bit of a separation here.
damoocow

Jarro
12th October 2004, 09:15 PM
easy fixed Moocow.

fork out 25 clams and get a shirt.

damoocow
12th October 2004, 09:54 PM
mmmm - might start my own 'non ozgolf shirt owning player of the year' -
damoocow

markTHEblake
12th October 2004, 10:24 PM
Onewood : I didnt miss that one, because an Ambrose cant count. Nice try though.

Damo: I understand your line of thought and I took some time to consider it.

There is a community issue here, IMHO all the regulars should have a shirt. I have no doubt that they all have bought one. This is also an award geared towards the regulars, to reward and encourage participation.

Some time ago there was talk of an annual fee to pay for this, however I bet that only the core group of regular golfers would have contributed (if that). Its too late to collect any money so the shirt rule it is.

If anyone doesnt buy a shirt then nobody is going to look down on him, and he can still walk away with the Ozgolf Champ's cup - no problems.

Goughy: Thanks, for now its ok the way it is. I think everyone has got the gist of it by now. After the champs we'll throw i few suggestions around and maybe even change the format. Then we can make a sticky.

damoocow
12th October 2004, 10:45 PM
Blakey - by 'regulars' do you mean regular posters or regular players ? - if I don't have a shirt does that mean I am not 'regular'
[but I eat plenty of fruit !] -
wouldn't that make the 'player of the year ' flawed and tainted if only 'special' shirt wearers are eligible ?
[player of the year but only if you go to the toilet regular and only if you have this special shirt in your chosen colour as long as it isn't orange ]
damoocow

Jono
13th October 2004, 05:49 AM
Blakey - by 'regulars' do you mean regular posters or regular players ? - if I don't have a shirt does that mean I am not 'regular'
[but I eat plenty of fruit !] -
wouldn't that make the 'player of the year ' flawed and tainted if only 'special' shirt wearers are eligible ?
[player of the year but only if you go to the toilet regular and only if you have this special shirt in your chosen colour as long as it isn't orange ]
damoocow

Just think of the $25 as the comp fee for the POTY comp. All golf clubs have comp fees ... In this case, you get a "free" shirt ... :wink:

damoocow
13th October 2004, 07:42 AM
OK - think I have had enough fun here - time to find another cause to champion.
damoocow

markTHEblake
14th October 2004, 10:25 PM
Ok folks, the election is over, the Majority has declared that the Ozgolf POTY shall be "Ozgolf" only and no carry over from previous lives.

Hope to see many more events posted between now and the 31st.

markTHEblake
18th October 2004, 02:24 PM
Table has been updated (post #1) for the weekend scores at Brookwater and Keperra.

Shakers and movers this week.

- Damoocow debuting into the top 20
- Mr Consistency Ozmacleod sneaking into the top 20.
- Nudgee and AndyP squeezing into the top 10 edging out Jaster (through sheer volume of events) -
-Golfer69 Solidifies his spot at No 9 - no chance to improve though (did he ever?)
- Brisvegas and Iain push Jarro underneath them (where he belongs)

Looks like there is going to be a shootout between the top 8 at the Champs with anyone of those will seal this gong with an outright win.

Whilst its still mathematically possible for someone as far down as 14 pts to win, to do that the top 8 or so would have to finish almost last - but anything is possible?

Still opportunities to improve your ranking between now and the 31st get out and play!

Other notes:
Jarro is leading the gong for groupie of the year - 9 ozgolf events, and is also the leading poster on this site. Does he have a life outside of work or is that it?

AndyP
18th October 2004, 02:34 PM
- Damoocow debuting into the top 20
:?: Has there been a relaxation of the shirt rule?

Maybe you should play that round at Beerwah next week, damo. :wink:

markTHEblake
18th October 2004, 03:54 PM
Andy, apparently you didnt wear an Ozgolf shirt either so we might have to wipe all your points too.

Jarro
18th October 2004, 04:12 PM
- Brisvegas and Iain push Jarro underneath them (where he belongs)

all part of my cunning plan :lol:

markTHEblake
31st October 2004, 10:15 PM
Congratulations to IAIN for winning the POTY award. The full rankings have been updated in the first post of this thread.

He now can wear this emblem of pride in his signature.
http://img73.exs.cx/img73/2719/ozgolfPotylogo.jpg

McMw
31st October 2004, 11:26 PM
Congrats Iain... :D

Inaugural Champ!!! :wink:

AndyP
1st November 2004, 08:55 AM
Congrats again, Iain. Plan on getting the golden club framed? :wink:

Close contest for second.
Check out Gaz's points average. If only he played more events.

Oh sh*t, I got beaten by g69. :( How embarrassing. :oops: :P

How did I manage 9 events, even though I was in Canberra for two months. :?
Does jarro get an award for most events played? :wink:

Flowergirl
1st November 2004, 09:10 AM
Hey Amanada..hey Golfgirl.............me thinks we should start a Ozgolf female player of the year......But we have to come up with a system so that I can win it :wink:
Well done to Iain.

BrisVegas
1st November 2004, 09:11 AM
Congratulations Iain!! 8) 8) A worthy winner and avid member of ozgolf!

Be good to track this table over a full year. Watch out everyone if Gaz starts playing regularly!! :shock:

Jarro
1st November 2004, 10:23 AM
well played Iain, keep up the good work 8)

nice work blakey, you are now called StatsMan.

Eag's
1st November 2004, 10:25 AM
Well done Iain once again =D>

How the hell did I end up so high up the list :smt017 :oops:

AndyP
1st November 2004, 10:38 AM
How the hell did I end up so high up the list :smt017 :oops:
You had a win at a day you had in Logan that had 12 people -> 18 points. And a couple of 6 pointers. 8)

This years POTY was always going to hinge heavily on the result from the Champs. Next years will be different. Already 17 or so OZgolfers going to Northlakes, plus a few extras.

andylo
1st November 2004, 10:45 AM
Congrats Iain :D

Actually, I am thinking from next year we should make the winner of golden club to tee off a ball with it :)

Iain
1st November 2004, 10:50 AM
Congrats Iain :D

Actually, I am thinking from next year we should make the winner of golden club to tee off a ball with it :)
Thanks AndyLo,
But it couldn't be any worse than my first tee shot this year.... :oops:

So Bring it on..... 8)

amanda
1st November 2004, 11:20 AM
Hey Amanada..hey Golfgirl.............me thinks we should start a Ozgolf female player of the year......But we have to come up with a system so that I can win it :wink:
Well done to Iain.
Or maybe we can figure out some way to have a 3-way tie!

Congrats Iain on a year (well sort of) well played!