PDA

View Full Version : Week commencing 24th Dec '07

Courty
26th December 2007, 06:09 PM
First time in a while I've started one of these.

I played an individual stableford at Cairns GC this afternoon in atrociously tropical weather. Drizzle so fine it was more like mist, no wind and 85% humidity. :shock: I'm surprised there weren't more golfers collapsing. :roll:

Anyhow, as I did in my round at Paradise Palms on Sunday, I had too many on the front nine (15 pts) but recovered nicely on the back (20 pts) to record 35 pts all up.

AndyP
27th December 2007, 03:31 PM
27/12/2007, Caloundra GC, Social Round.

6/11 effective tee-shots.
6/18 effective approaches.
4/11 up and down successes.
34 putts.
--------------
8 pars.
8 bogeys.
2 others.

Score (B9 1st) 43-38-81 nett 71 (Par 36-31-67 ACR 67)

I'm so over these irons now. I can't change for tomorrow, but it will be the last round using the i3s with the JZ Cushin Stiff shafts. I can't even get close to my targets with them(straight right). This doesn't make things easy when the course has 7 par 3s.

I didn't sink as many putts as I would've liked today either.

Next round: Tomorrow at Pelican Waters. I'm worried that I might be in the greenside bunkers quite a bit.

Courty
27th December 2007, 04:02 PM
I'm so over these irons now. I can't change for tomorrow, but it will be the last round using the i3s with the JZ Cushin Stiff shafts. I can't even get close to my targets with them(straight right). This doesn't make things easy when the course has 7 par 3s.

We've been telling you for ages that Ping are crap. :twisted:

shazza_rs
27th December 2007, 04:11 PM
not all pings... just his shovels. :):)

jimandr
27th December 2007, 05:14 PM
A frustrating 36 points at Leonay today. Leonay isn't a difficult course, and if you drive it as straight as I did today, it's a course there for the taking. But two bad double bogeys meant I didn't take it.

Fairways = 10 of 11, and the other one was a yard off the fairway
GIR = 7 of 18
Putts = 31, 2 3putts, 2 birdies
Up&Down = 4 of 9
1 penalty shot

Grunt
28th December 2007, 05:09 PM
Opps Played Xmas Eve @ Mac Grange and posted in the wrong week :oops:

Played Mac Grange this afternoon

Had another great round, 41 points with 2 wipes :shock:
4 Fairways
8 GIR
33 points
4/11 Up & Downs
2 Birdies:smt023
8 Pars:smt023
3 Bogies :neutral:
3 Doubles
2 Triples (lost balls):?

Was not good enough to win the day, some c grader shot 6 over off the stick to put in 52 points:shock:

AndyP
28th December 2007, 05:42 PM
28/12/2007, Club Pelican, Social Round.

I don't use the stats from social rounds in my accumulative stats, but I had a think back through them anyway and they went something like this:

12/14 effective tee-shots.
6/18 effective approaches.
3/11 up and down successes.
30 putts.
--------------
2 birdies.
7 pars.
7 bogeys.
2 others.

Score 42-41-83 nett 73 stab 37pts (Par 36-36-72 ACR 72)

Taking the quad bogey warmup hole (1st) out, it was a rather good days golfing for me. The other wipe was when I trialled goughy's irons on a par 3 and hooked it into the drink.

The driver was in good form today with a pretty consistent shape, although they are big fairways at Pelican. Because the course played short in places, I got to hit a few wedges into greens and I can hit those straight, unlike the bloody Pings. Although, I did miss a couple of greens long with the 48° late in the round which was disappointing, as I was striking it well.

I'm putting okay, but I get the feeling that I'm missing too many medium length putts for birds or up & downs.

Next round: Maybe a social game on Monday at Oxley or something. Otherwise it would be a couple of weeks at least.

Courty
28th December 2007, 09:41 PM
I played a social 18 holes at Half Moon Bay GC today. I played good for 15 holes (+4), and terrible for 3 (+8). :roll:

The driver has been working pretty well lately, so I've decided to hold off on any potential shaft changes.

I've also started keeping stats again (I built a new spreadsheet, but not quite as detailed as Rusty's) and the results after only 3 rounds of data are quite telling. I'm averaging 1.8 putts per hole, but that number goes up to 2.1 for putts per GIR. There are a few other areas which need immediate improvement:

- approaches (GIRs). The % is sitting at under 40%. Considering I'm hitting around 50% of fairways, this is unacceptable to me.

- wasted shots (OOB/ Hazards/ plain old duffs, chunks, blades etc). After only 3 rounds I'm averaging almost 5 of these per round. Considering I'm averaging 81 gross, this is potentially an area which can reap big benefits on the scorecard. Partly course management, partly concentration over the ball. A definite 'needs work' area...

BrisWesty
29th December 2007, 05:24 AM
Played Hervey Bay on Christmas Eve (social game) and broke my handicap. 82/69 (par 70) including 28 putts. First time ever getting near to playing to handicap there. Included a couple of double bogeys and a triple bogey, so the other 15 holes were spot on.
Yes they have turned the 9s around.
A bit of casual water about, but not too bad.
Greens were lovely!

goughy
29th December 2007, 06:11 AM
I'm averaging 1.8 putts per hole, but that number goes up to 2.1 for putts per GIR.

I'm not surprised you gir putt average is above 2. How many birdies do you shoot a round on average, and how many 3 putts? How close do you get gir's to the hole?

Courty
29th December 2007, 08:37 AM
How many birdies do you shoot a round on average 2-3

and how many 3 putts? 1-2

How close do you get gir's to the hole? Obviously not close enough.

goughy
29th December 2007, 09:23 AM
Played 2 games. 1 fairway at caloundra, hit most of them at pelican. 1st 9 caloundra 11 over, 2nd 1 over. 1st round pelican 3 over, 2nd 11 over. I'm a 9 hole wonder!!!

Lot's of pars in there, not a huge amount of bogeys, only 4 at caloundra and 5 at pelican. But I had 4 doubles at caloundra, and 2 doubles and 2 triples at pelican. So brain farts are adding to a lot! I really have to learn to get out of trouble.

BrisWesty
29th December 2007, 03:21 PM
33 points at Caboolture today. V windy!

Courty
29th December 2007, 06:58 PM
Hoping to get 1 more round in before I go back to work on Tuesday. :???:

rocket
29th December 2007, 07:50 PM
Played Brisbane GC on boxing day came in second in the day comp with 40 points and then played there again yesterday, had a shocker the sort of round that makes you hate golf 8 points on the front and came good on the back with 17 points for a total of 25 points.

Flowergirl
30th December 2007, 11:38 AM
Played social 18 holes with Johnny this morning - 6 am hit off. Tucking in to the bacon and eggs by 10.30. Life is good.

And I know that it was only a social game - but I shot a PB of 83 today which included a stupid triple!!! Putted well and didn't get into much trouble.

41 + 42 = 83 (par is 71) Nett 66.
10 pars
5 bogeys
2 doubles
1 triple.

Also Johnny and I played matchplay and I beat him 7 up which means he has to be my slave for the rest of the year. Shame it's the 30th December:twisted:

chappy1970
31st December 2007, 09:27 AM
Well done FG.

I played at Southern on Saturday in the afternoon. It was forecasted to be 36 degrees (which I was happy to play in) it ended up being closer to 40 degrees with a N-NW wind. It was bearable initially but got very tough towards the end.

I went OUT with 17 points and came IN with 17 points. I was really happy with the way I played, but I got to the 17th tee with 34 points in the bank and finished up with wipes the last two holes. I just wanted the game to end half way up the 17th fairway, I was over heating and exhausted.

Overall happy with the way I played, even picked up a nearest the pin on the 3rd, knocked it to 1.2 mtrs.

Maybe next time as I feel I am swinging the club better than I have ever done before and my timing and tempo is fantastic at the mo.

Chappy

shazza_rs
31st December 2007, 09:36 AM
well done Reenie!

Flowergirl
1st January 2008, 09:57 PM
Thanks Chappy and Daughter:smt023
Gee Chappy - you're keen playing in that heat.:shock:

Toolish
2nd January 2008, 07:55 PM
Sorry for the late entry...been away from home.

Played on the 30th at Coomealla golf course near Mildura...it was a par round and I shot +6 (equivalent to even par off the beater), had a grand total of 26 putts.

Anyhow, that got me down to a 4.8 handicap meaning I met my goal of being at 5 by the end of the year!

In 4 of my 6 rounds since being married I have bettered my handicap, who said marraige is bad for golf!

AndyP
2nd January 2008, 07:58 PM
On a roll, Toolish, keep it going.

goughy
2nd January 2008, 08:02 PM
who said marraige is bad for golf!

It's not the marriage, it's the kids that follow that wreck havoc on it!

Flowergirl
2nd January 2008, 08:32 PM
Top effort Toolish:smt038

Bruce
2nd January 2008, 09:31 PM
Great stuff Toolish!!

How was Coomy? I have fond memories of $6pa junior memberships there.

Toolish
3rd January 2008, 11:47 AM
Coomy is in great nic, no sign of water trouble at all...the $80 full membership is nice too!

chappy1970
4th January 2008, 07:26 AM
Well done Toolish