PDA

View Full Version : Highest Lofted Wedge

Pinglauncher
22nd December 2007, 10:50 PM
I currently carry only 2 wedges apart from my PW. So at the moment I have Ping Tours 52* and 58* with the GolfWRX "T" grind so even on tight lies the 58* opens up nicely.

I have tried a 3 wedge setup a few times but it just does not work for me. Too many choices & too much confusion. The 52* is my favourite club in the bag and is my go to club unless I am in sand or short sided.

I have often wondered whether I could get away with a 56* as my highest lofted wedge and opinions seem to differ on this matter. I would love to try one of the new Ping Tour W wedges and thought of 56*. I figured if I got the same grind I could still open it up if necessary but would be a little more confident with the lower loft and it would also close the 20 mtr gap between my wedges at the moment.

Am I crazy to even be considering this :?

Courty
22nd December 2007, 11:17 PM
I think you'll find this scenario has been discussed several times before. The general concensus is that it depends on how much bounce the 56 has.

3oneday
23rd December 2007, 06:42 AM
You're not crazy to consider it, but you should try it first. For many years the highest loft I had was 57°. I have been alternating wedges for some time, between 56, 58 and 60 but as County said, bounce is important as you will have to use more imagination with a 56

Jarro
23rd December 2007, 06:43 AM
I'm the same as you PL. I was running a a 52/56/60 setup, but decided to go back to the 52/58. I can pretty much do without the 60 as the 58 can cover that, and i find the grind on my 58 makes it a much more versatile club .... i think i am almost confident with it :shock:

Colin
23rd December 2007, 07:41 AM
Wouldn't work for me, purely because most of the greens I play on are like concrete, and I need the lobber to stop the ball quick. I've actually toyed with the idea of adding a 64* for this very reason. YMMV, of course, and I would say it would have a lot to do with the courses you play on.

Col

rick3003
23rd December 2007, 08:17 AM
A 56 would be good for closing the gap but I think the 56 would want to have some aggresive grooves and a grind to make up for the loft.

New Cally X forged 56 with MD grooves and C grind :)

goughy
23rd December 2007, 08:24 AM
Ever since pelican waters last year I've been considering dumping my 54* for a 56*. I played fantastic bunker shots with my bil's sw. I've been hinting to rob this year for xmas, but she keeps on saying she'll get me a brosnan one!!!

Moe Norman
23rd December 2007, 08:30 AM
after experimenting with all sorts of grinds, lofts and modern wedges, I've now returned to old wedges. A 54 Vokey Oil Can with 14* of bounce and an old Tour Grind 588 Series 60* Cleveland with unspecified bounce.

short game is still not great, but the 'retard' shots have been eradicated.

oz
23rd December 2007, 09:42 AM
52* & 58* Ping Tours for me. I haven't had these in the bag long, but I like the simplicity of the setup. I haven't yet found the 15m yardage gap too much of a worry, as I am trying to hit fewer flat-out wedges anyway, so more wedge aproaches are less than full swings.

FWIW - If it were me, it would have to be a low-ish bounce, with a heel grind that allows you to crank it open a bit.

Have you thought of maybe weakening the 52* to a 53* or 53.5*? Might help close the gap a bit. What loft is your PW, and how is the gap between it & the 52*?

markTHEblake
23rd December 2007, 12:47 PM
the highest lofted club i have is a SW but I dont know the Loft. Its a Callaway X14. Whilst i am not that confident yet, as I just cant get myself to hit them hard enough, I have worked out how to flop/spin a SW as much as I ever need to. Thus the LW has become redundant.

Grunt
23rd December 2007, 12:57 PM
I only have the 52 & 56 at the moment. 60 produced more bad shots than good ones. I find that i have now accepted that i don't spin it so why have a club that I can make mistakes with than great results. Golf has been better since dropping it too.

Pinglauncher
23rd December 2007, 04:55 PM
A 56 would be good for closing the gap but I think the 56 would want to have some aggresive grooves and a grind to make up for the loft.

New Cally X forged 56 with MD grooves and C grind :)

:-k these are still a few months away.

Pinglauncher
23rd December 2007, 05:00 PM
Have you thought of maybe weakening the 52* to a 53* or 53.5*? Might help close the gap a bit. What loft is your PW, and how is the gap between it & the 52*?

PW is 46* so certainly do not want to weaken the 52* Distance gap is between it and the GW is also 20 mtrs.

I think I may just be looking for an excuse for another wedge ;)

kpac
23rd December 2007, 05:03 PM
63 deg. And love it.

Jarro
23rd December 2007, 05:04 PM
No blood noses yet K-man ?

;)

AndyP
24th December 2007, 09:14 PM
I reckon K-man is the new Macca as far as lofted wedges go. He loves a bit of nosebleed action.