PDA

View Full Version : Tour R580XD Head?! (no pics)

McMw
9th October 2004, 07:57 PM
I had the pleasure of playing with a ex malaysian national squad player, who has intentions of turning pro within the next 12-18 mths.

Typical bag set-up...
TM R580XD Driver, 8.5 with Prolite 35s
TM VSteel 15, with ProLite 35s
Mizuno 3-Pw
RAC Rusty 52 56 60
Mezza Monza

He was telling me that at the 2004 Malaysian Open (Asian PGA Tour Event), he participated as an amateur (invite) and even he could get hold of any clubs he wanted for free from the OEM Tour Vans....how cool is that???
He pretty much got all TM gears, but stuck with his Mizuno irons...

Had a look at his R580XD...and the sole is different...especially around the TWC...
For those who has the XD series, you'll know there is a small channel around the TWC...
His "Tour" head had the simple look of the original R500 series, with with the R580XD insignia...

Even the VSteel looks a bit different from mine...couldn't quite put my finger on it, but it did sure look like it...

gazgolf1
10th October 2004, 06:32 AM
These are all over Ebay at the moment.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=47335&item=7106453235

The R580 XD Tour has the original 580 sole plate.
Never hit one myself but it appears that TM are dumping them because a lot of these on Ebay are brand new.

3oneday
10th October 2004, 06:50 AM
Gaz, as you said the other day, thegolfhabit guy has it seems like 20 of them, but I wouldn't say $399 US is cheap, pretty pricey for something TM couldn't shift IMO.

Interesting as well that a lot of them have the NVS shaft as well, according to Ben this shaft was somewhat of a flop, so here we have a head they can't move and a shaft to match, mmmmm :wink: :lol:

Pete

gazgolf1
10th October 2004, 08:08 AM
Gaz, as you said the other day, thegolfhabit guy has it seems like 20 of them, but I wouldn't say $399 US is cheap, pretty pricey for something TM couldn't shift IMO.

Interesting as well that a lot of them have the NVS shaft as well, according to Ben this shaft was somewhat of a flop, so here we have a head they can't move and a shaft to match, mmmmm :wink: :lol:

Pete

Yeah not cheap at all :x ,give it a couple of weeks and he'll start a few of these at $1.00.

McMw
10th October 2004, 04:18 PM
thanks gaz...the sole is spot on, but on the toe, it didn't have the TP insignia...it just had the titanium wording...

macleod
12th October 2004, 04:45 PM
having bought from this guy in the past..this driver pic surprised me.
http://i12.ebayimg.com/02/i/02/94/bd/92_1.JPG

a FEW scratches?....jeezus!

Jarro
12th October 2004, 04:50 PM
obviously this guy grounds his driver at address.

.. not like our good buddy Mau :wink: :lol:

terryand
12th October 2004, 04:56 PM
Grounds it :?

Looks like he took his practice swings on the cart path :shock:

Terry.

McMw
13th October 2004, 01:21 AM
looks more like your typical "bang-the-club-on-the-ground" golfer after every crap drive!!! :?

3oneday
13th October 2004, 08:07 AM
"bang-the-club-on-the-ground"

substitute ground for "tee marker :lol: "

Pete

Jarro
4th November 2004, 07:20 AM
so Pete, how's the Tour 580 go :?: Hit it yet :wink: When are you gonna sell it :P

3oneday
4th November 2004, 08:43 AM
Geez, you're more impatient then I am :P .

I will be collecting the club from GCI next Tuesday, as they removed the 75 gram NV Stiff (well, supposedly stiff) and are replacing it with a 55 gram NV something. They have done all the calcs etc and believe either this or a 65 gram would be fine, once they get the right frequency and swing weight match.

Funny how you can't just pick up a shaft these days and believe what is written on it. What Ross at GCI works on mainly for driver shaft fittings is the load rating :? mine was 88, and the shafts that would suit my loading are ones that frequency at around 250 (I think), anyway, I had fun :lol:

Be on the course, blowing it past my mate, Saturday week 8), supposedly a 5 or 6% distance increase :shock: with this new setup. Hope that doesn't mean further left or right :shock: . :lol:

Pete

macleod
4th November 2004, 09:51 AM
how much you want for the nv75 pete? ;)

Jarro
4th November 2004, 11:25 AM
Geez, you're more impatient then I am :P .

you bet :P

and make sure they do a good job on the re-shaft, i like my new drivers to look nice and clean :wink: :lol:

3oneday
4th November 2004, 11:25 AM
A buck a gram ???

:lol: Pete

Jarro
4th November 2004, 11:29 AM
A buck a gram ???

GO MACCA GO :!: :!:

.. feeling rather generous today are we Pete :wink:

3oneday
4th November 2004, 11:35 AM
.. feeling rather generous today are we Pete :wink:no good to me in the shed :lol: , plus postage of course, once I work out how the hell I would post it :lol: without using a box :?

Pete

Jarro
4th November 2004, 11:50 AM
.. feeling rather generous today are we Pete :wink:no good to me in the shed :lol: , plus postage of course, once I work out how the hell I would post it :lol: without using a box :?

Pete

just stick the shaft in the same box as the R580XD Tour ....

.. and address them to me 8) :roll:

drunken
4th November 2004, 11:51 AM
once I work out how the hell I would post it :lol: without using a box :?

Poster or map box. Long cylinders. Available from any OZ Post Office, I believe they cost a couple of dollars.

macleod
4th November 2004, 12:50 PM
A buck a gram ???

hmm, so it a 78 gram unfinsihed length of 46", with tip/butt trim for a finished driver of 45" length, 1.75" insertion equals a 43.75 inch cut shaft with normal insertion on the 580xd hosel depth, losing 2.25 inches total length at 4.2 grams per inch = 68.55 grams....roughly of course ;)

of course, if it's ended up with Kentucky Fried Tip like the last 2 shafts that shattered after reinstall at gci....

3oneday
4th November 2004, 01:11 PM
hmm, so it a 78 gram unfinsihed length of 46", with tip/butt trim for a finished driver of 45" length, 1.75" insertion equals a 43.75 inch cut shaft with normal insertion on the 580xd hosel depth, losing 2.25 inches total length at 4.2 grams per inch = 68.55 grams....roughly of course ;)of course, if it's ended up with Kentucky Fried Tip like the last 2 shafts that shattered after reinstall at gci....
Well, do you think I could get GCI to take it back to Brissy, you could then pick it up off them ??? wonder if they would do that, guess they may, especially if you're a good customer of theirs. Forget your calcs (nice work though :wink: ) installed in a 580XD TOUR head :smt026 (thats for you Jarro) it was a 45" golf club, yours for $75. Do they fry many shafts on the way out ? or do they just single you out :lol: ???

Pete

macleod
4th November 2004, 02:00 PM
nah, i just have been sharing the love around clubmaking wise after having 3 heads scratched/chipped up by them.

great guys and sweet work, good prices, but the damage to the finish of this many clubs has got me using other people for heads i might potentially sell.

i realise they are more worried about performance than aesthetics as a general principle but when a customer might like to resell seomthing...and yes accident do happen in workshop but the regions of damage were a wee bit annoying.

i think my relaxed attitude might have something to do with it, and being non-confrontational....such great guys, i would feel like a drongo mentioning it....and if i did, I probably wouldn't go back from embarassment!

heck i got a grip cut off by another guy and right in front of me he sliced up the shaft finish, simply saying "oops" :smt011 any deeper and the shaft might have been damaged, he was just trying to rip it off blase in a hurry for me.

this is why when i drop clubs with anyone i always tell them there is NO hurry whatsoever...

3oneday
4th November 2004, 02:04 PM
At least I will be having a closer look now when I pick the stick up, thanks for that :shock: .

Enough threadjacking I suppose, I will start one shortly listing the NV and the GBB.

Pete

3oneday
9th November 2004, 09:06 PM
of course, if it's ended up with Kentucky Fried Tip like the last 2 shafts that shattered after reinstall at gci....
Macca, I am pleased they installed a new shaft in my driver, because the pullout is an absolute disgrace, couldn't possibly sell it, it has scratches from the tip up about 6 inches, tip is fried, unbelievable. Obviously their skills lie elsewhere, ie fitting etc, never big on reusing shafts :shock: :x

Pete

macleod
9th November 2004, 09:16 PM
really?

i know i was a bit put out about some damage in the past but ross and gary are some of the best clubfitters i know around...

seems strange actually...did they do the pull in front of you with heat gun or propane?

you sure it's not just a bit messy...normally a bit of belt sanding to get off the old material is fine....

hmmm....might have been pretty firmly installed in the 580tour...

i meant to ask you about the head, i was watching a few that might go cheap tomorrow...

McMw
9th November 2004, 10:43 PM
clue me in peeps...
what's so special abt the R580XDTour???
I figured my next driver might as well be a TP something... 8)

davidp
9th November 2004, 10:51 PM
Macca, I am pleased they installed a new shaft in my driver, because the pullout is an absolute disgrace, couldn't possibly sell it, it has scratches from the tip up about 6 inches, tip is fried, unbelievable. Obviously their skills lie elsewhere, ie fitting etc, never big on reusing shafts :shock: :x

Pete

That's a shame Pete. I use Ross & Garry to do all my work here in Brissie. They never have pullouts though...That may be why. :cry:

Sorry to hear the pullout turned out bad.

3oneday
10th November 2004, 08:42 AM
seems strange actually...did they do the pull in front of you with heat gun or propane?
you sure it's not just a bit messy...normally a bit of belt sanding to get off the old material is fine....
i meant to ask you about the head, i was watching a few that might go cheap tomorrow...I spoke with them on Friday, to see how it went, the response was, yep, just cleaned the tip up a bit, you'll be able to sell it no worries.
I had a look in the light of day this morning, to me it appears as though the shaft has been placed in the vice, that is surely the only way marks like that can appear. I know what the grips in my vice look like, deadset the same.

My guess, they don't have a shaft puller here in Sydney. The scratch is just that, 2 scratches side by side running up the shaft, 6 inches may have been generous.

I could clean the tip up, trim the tip a little, cut away the damaged graphite from the tip, but unfortunately the scratches can't be hidden. I have expressed my displeasure to them, but because I didn't say anything yesterday when I collected it, saw it, thought to myself "shit" asked for a cylinder, hit the new one and left, they probably won't care too much. Let's face it, their job was to install a new shaft, which they have done admirably.

They were aware that I was keen to sell the thing, to make some of the costs back, this is the disappointment.

By the way, this club goes :twisted: , very happy with the end result. I actually managed one out of the centre, which gives an even bigger kick, they still retain some of the XD gunshot sound, that one actually hurt my ear, certainly an attention grabber (when you centre one, that is :oops: ). Can't wait for Sat to find out how it goes on my track.

Pete

macleod
10th November 2004, 10:30 AM
if they do the cleaning up for you and assess whether it CAN be installed again would be a good thing.

no rubber vise clamp on the puller eh? that's a bit messy.

it was odd when i got the deep bore done, i asked specifically to be gentle with the head as i was going to resell it.

i come back it it has a mega scratch across the entire head...sigh....

3oneday
10th November 2004, 11:55 AM
Credit where credit is due, I didn't get a response from my email, found that the recipient was away, so rang Gary. He was very apologetic and actually couldn't quite believe it. They will be crediting me back with the cost on the shaft they pulled, and I will send it up to them for them to give away as a freebie.

Pete

macleod
10th November 2004, 12:06 PM
nice work pete, pick me for the freebie!