PDA

View Full Version : Hybrids .. graphite or steel shafts ??

Jarro
13th December 2007, 09:31 AM
What's everyone's thoughts on this ?

I know a hybrid is meant to be played like a long iron, hence a decending blow is required, so should they be shafted with the same shafts as your irons ?

Iain
13th December 2007, 09:35 AM
Steel for me....

TS
13th December 2007, 09:35 AM
What's everyone's thoughts on this ?

I know a hybrid is meant to be played like a long iron, hence a decending blow is required, so should they be shafted with the same shafts as your irons ?

I find steel with its heavier weight give me a bit more control, but shorter distance compare to graphite.

Jarro
13th December 2007, 09:36 AM
I find steel with its heavier weight give me a bit more control, but shorter distance compare to graphite.

That's what i was thinking.

I know Iain hits his well with a steel shaft, but a lot of golfers i see have graphite in them.

BrisVegas
13th December 2007, 09:36 AM
interesting that you should bring this up, as im going backwards and forwards trying to work that out. I've had both and I think I hit the heavy graphite (UST V2 104gram) the best.

I think if you are a puncher/digger then steel may suit better. But I'm more of a sweeper.

Check the Pro Shop.... I'm going back to graphite. :oops:

PeteyD
13th December 2007, 09:39 AM
hybrids are the debil. 7 woods are the best.

Jarro
13th December 2007, 09:39 AM
Steel for me....

I think if you are a puncher/digger then steel may suit better.

Can't fault that logic ;)

TS
13th December 2007, 09:42 AM
That's what i was thinking.

I know Iain hits his well with a steel shaft, but a lot of golfers i see have graphite in them.

Most golfers want more distance, quite a few graphite shafts for hybrid also give a higher ball flight, which is good for stopping the ball.

mikezone13
13th December 2007, 10:46 AM
Have graphite in mine and picked up a Titleist 585 with Tri Spec S flex in it and it was so heavy I put it straight back in my playing partners bag.

I prefer the lighter wieght of the graphite shafts and it goes inline with the DG SL shafts in my irons. Maybe a DG DL hybrid shaft would work for me but can't be arsed reshafting them.

3oneday
13th December 2007, 11:44 AM
I have a TX-90 in mine, which is probably the same weight as Graphite anyway. In that case, much of a muchness isn't it ! Steel is cheaper !

peter_rs
13th December 2007, 11:56 AM
I think if you are a puncher/digger then steel may suit better.

spot on.

billybaub
13th December 2007, 12:44 PM
Steel just gets a bit heavy. Something like a NS Pro though is fantastic. I would probably choose steel in a hybrid anyday. Gives a nice high but strong ball flight.

shazza_rs
13th December 2007, 12:47 PM
I have a steel shaft in my hybrid.... don't know what it is but!!

Courty
13th December 2007, 06:48 PM

My Callaway (which I just sold to Goughy) had a heavier graphite shaft (85g) to combat this. My new Burner Rescue has a 65g shaft, which I am finding much nicer to use.

markTHEblake
13th December 2007, 07:22 PM
I have a TX-90 in mine, which is probably the same weight as Graphite anyway. In that case, much of a muchness isn't it ! Steel is cheaper !

Same here in my hybirds. Havent tried graphite in them, dont really care to either.

freddy a
13th December 2007, 07:36 PM
I had graphite in my old mizuno i hated it! on my new mp fli hi i went for a light weight steel nspro 950 and hard stepped it great club!