PDA

View Full Version : Hervey Bay Golf Club

Sydney Hacker
10th December 2007, 01:04 PM
Hi All,

Was wondering if anyone has played Hervey Bay at all recently. I will be up there on the weekend to catch up with a mate and we will be having a hit on the Sunday.

I have played Maryborough a few times before, but he has suggested Hervey Bay this time so was hoping for a few helpful hints beforehand.

Thanks in advance.

Davemason
10th December 2007, 01:25 PM
Hi All,

Was wondering if anyone has played Hervey Bay at all recently. I will be up there on the weekend to catch up with a mate and we will be having a hit on the Sunday.

I have played Maryborough a few times before, but he has suggested Hervey Bay this time so was hoping for a few helpful hints beforehand.

Thanks in advance.

Hervey bay is a better cse than Marybough IMO, and should be in good nick after the recent rain they have had there.

PeteyD
10th December 2007, 01:39 PM
It is a nice course. I think a couple of Ozgolf members are members

AndyP
10th December 2007, 02:09 PM
Hervey Bay is a course I haven't got around to yet, but prmeier is a member there.

Grunt
10th December 2007, 02:53 PM
Played there over 10 years ago and it was great then.

BrisWesty
11th December 2007, 12:14 PM
Don't bother taking your pitch repairer. Just about impossible to leave a pitch mark. Just a few quick comments.
1 - can aim well left of the fairway - dogleg left.
3 - big stupid bunker right at the front of the green.
4 - doesn't matter if you leak right onto the 5th fairway.
6 - don't put your drive too far right or you won't get a shot at the green.
7 - green drops away steeply at rear, but if you're short or long, better to be long.
10 & 12 - no real point in pulling out driver unless you can draw it well.
13 & 14 - low part of the course, can get a bit damp after rain. 13 is a wide shallow green.

Shortish course, but I've never gotten near playing to handicap. Most greens are raised, so need to be able to hit and stick greens.

Sydney Hacker
11th December 2007, 01:53 PM
Hi All,

Thanks for the replies. I am looking forward to having a hit there, I have always enjoyed Maryborough when I am up there so it will be interesting to compare the two.

I might try to get down and play Gympie while I am up there, played there years ago and really enjoyed the course, except for the damn hills they got a bit too much by the end of the round!

AndyP
11th December 2007, 02:00 PM
A few of us had a round at Gympie last year. We thought it was good without being great. There was some ordinary stuff there.

Sydney Hacker
11th December 2007, 02:02 PM
The last time I played there was approximately 15 years ago, when (dare I admit it) I was living in Gympie...

I am sure plenty has changed since then, plus I had only just started playing casually, so my "expectations" of a course could of changed dramatically since then.

Sydney Hacker
20th December 2007, 02:08 PM
Thanks all to those that replied. I had a hit up there Sunday just past, a lot of fun, enjoyed the course, but the rums caught up with me by the back nine....

Was planning on following Bris Westy tips, but standing on the 1st it didn't really seem to make much sense. After a few questions the local informed me they had changed the front and back nines around to satisfy some f&*^ wit who had moved onto the course and then complained about the greens being mown so early in the morning....

Anyway, thanks again

BrisWesty
20th December 2007, 04:29 PM
Sorry about the bum steer on the comments, "Syd". I didn't know they'd changed the nines! Hope they were useful if you added or subtracted 9. ;-)

Stupid nimbys who move in loving the serenity and then complain, just like the idiots who move into rural areas and then complain about irrigation, cows going moo etc (the town planner in me coming out there).

PeteyD
21st December 2007, 01:19 PM
Or the guy that buys next to a Sawmill and whines about sawdust ...