PDA

View Full Version : Hey there.

BeGoodJohnny
7th December 2007, 11:26 AM
Hey there people. Really starting to get in to golf to the point where I want to get into the game a lot more. I've been playing golf more regularly (fortnightly) over the last couple of years since giving cricket away. The idea of driving halfway across town to sit around for three hours waiting to bat didn't appeal to me much anymore.

I've been playing with the local social club this year where I'm now off 13. I set myself the goal of breaking 80 at the start of the year which I did at Helensvale a couple of months ago where I shot a 77. Now I'm on the pursuit to get to the magical single figure handicap. To do that it's going to mean practicing more than I do now (which is bugger all). Finding the time to do that will be tricky with a junior on the way.

My local course is Hills at Jimboomba which is ridiculously long (longest in Oz). I'm tossing up whether the best thing is to continue playing in the social club next year and get to play all sorts of different courses (with blokes I now know) or become a member at Hills. The new season kicks off in mid-Jan so I got a few weeks to mull over it? Any suggestions?

BrisVegas
7th December 2007, 11:34 AM
welcome aboard mate. A regular game could see you breaking 80 more often. I've never played Hills, but have heard it's pretty tough. How much is membership? If you like to play different courses, perhaps something like the mega membership at Robina could work for you. It's $139 per year to maintain a hcap, but it allows you to play in open comps all over the place. There's quite a few ozgolfers doing exactly that. You can still play your social group games, but also take in some proper comp rounds with ozgolfers once you have a handicap.

Good luck and might see you around the traps.

AndyP
7th December 2007, 11:36 AM
Welcome to OZgolf, BGJ.

I'm tossing up whether the best thing is to continue playing in the social club next year and get to play all sorts of different courses (with blokes I now know) or become a member at Hills. The new season kicks off in mid-Jan so I got a few weeks to mull over it? Any suggestions?
Simple solution. Get a handicap maintenance membership like the Mega Membership at Robina Woods for $139, then play open comps all over Brisbane with the likes of us. We're pretty much a social club, except most of us have AGU handicaps. Check my golflink record (below) to get an idea of all the different courses we play together whether it be just a couple of us or more than 30.

BeGoodJohnny
7th December 2007, 01:09 PM
Membership at Hills for a year is $600. How that compares with other courses of a similar standard I'm not sure. Cost is something I also have to weigh up (with the missus up the duff and only working part time) and it's probably my main reason for considering becoming a member there rather than be in my social club. Another thing I have to consider is my best mate who I play with so.. tough gig.

dc68
7th December 2007, 01:12 PM
Welcome BGJ.

poidda
7th December 2007, 01:20 PM
Membership at Hills for a year is $600.

No offence meant, but $600 is about 400 bucks to much for Hills. I thought it was only something like $16 to play in the open comp. (about 12 to much)

Welcome BGJ. Jump on the Robina Bandwagon.

AndyP
7th December 2007, 01:37 PM
No offence meant, but $600 is about 400 bucks to much for Hills. I thought it was only something like $16 to play in the open comp. (about 12 to much)Meeeoooowwww!!!!

Iain
7th December 2007, 01:50 PM
Welcome BGJ.

Courty
7th December 2007, 04:35 PM
Hi BGJ, the Mega deal at Robina has to be a sure-fire winner IMO.

BeGoodJohnny
7th December 2007, 04:57 PM
Yeah I've started looking around and it seems good from what I read on the Robina Woods site. I told my mate about it and he seems interested so we'll see what happens. Hills price isn't too bad in some comparison considering the boghole that calls themselves Logan City Country Club are asking 600 as well.

goughy
7th December 2007, 05:00 PM
I would have thought that 600 was a good price for any club in brisbane, with the exception of jindalee.