PDA

View Full Version : Castle Hill Country Club

amanda
8th October 2004, 10:59 AM
Hi everyone,

I've qualified for the Women's Golf NSW Silver Medal playoff to be held at Castle Hill on 4 November.

Has anyone played there before? I'm hoping to organise a game a few days beforehand to check out the layout.

In these sorts of things - can I bring a caddie? Brad is on holidays and wants to come along!

Thanks!

markTHEblake
8th October 2004, 11:17 AM
Congratulations!

Usually only the juniors are not allowed caddys. But wouldnt you rather have a professional caddy. I have Major champion experience and I am cheap - just airfare and accomadation is all I need.

amanda
8th October 2004, 01:38 PM
Thanks for the offer blakey but I think the womens golf amateur rules prohibit professional caddies - 2 players at the Australian Amateur were penalised 2 strokes for employing pros.

markTHEblake
8th October 2004, 02:07 PM
Thanks for the admiration Mandy, but I am not a Professional golfer. :oops:

Trung
8th October 2004, 02:09 PM
Hello Amanda Wie,

Castle Hill is a very nice course. Weekend access is a no no unless invited by a member.

Open day is on Monday, the course hosted the Canon Challenge a few year ago. Very nice track. Worth a look before you go out there as there are blind shots and elavated greens.

Best Wishes,

Trung

amanda
8th October 2004, 02:17 PM
Thanks Trung. I think I will be able to get out there for a practice round 2 days before.

Blakey - you were touting yourself as a pro - so I just took your word for it :wink:

amanda
8th October 2004, 02:42 PM
The Open comp is Mondays - but by members invite only and there is no other public play days. I investigate the Virgin Golf Club deal but they said that there were no tee times to use that voucher in the few weeks leading up to my event :?

Oh well - I'll have to see if there are any pics on their website.

3oneday
8th October 2004, 02:54 PM
Amanda, spend an hour and simply go walk it, surely that is allowed if you tell the club why. I have been known to go and pace a course out the day before I played it, then it got rained out :x

markTHEblake
8th October 2004, 08:23 PM
Blakey - you were touting yourself as a pro - so I just took your word for it :wink:

professional caddy I said, not Professional caddy.... :D

Ducky
8th October 2004, 09:29 PM
Professional caddy I said, not Professional caddy...
Um...

:?

Kind regards,

Ben (Ducky).

Speirsy11
9th October 2004, 12:58 PM
Good playing to get in.....You'll love the course.....

I've played it many times, in both Pennants and casually. Two members of our Uni team are members (one is the club champ) and we play there regularily....

The course itself is challenging. The green complexes are testing, especially the bunkers (only because they are in less the perfect condition). The greens are good when a tournament is there, but not the best day in day out.

There are a few holes that have forced carries, the par 5 5th and par 4 13th both have forced carries for their approach shots, and the par 3 17th is entirely over water (I think.....yeah, I'm 99% sure those are the holes....).

It is important to get yourself into a position that lets you attack the greens from the proper side of the fairway in order to leave yourself eough green to work with, especially if you don't hit it high. If the pin is on the left, be sure to leave your lay up on the right side to give yourself a good angle at it....it'll play much easier if you do that.....

PM me if you have any questions about the course either before or after you play it once...I'll be happy to give you some advice....

Speirsy11

amanda
11th October 2004, 07:45 AM
Many thanks for the tips Rob. I've found some pics of the course on their website - there is a hole-by-hole flyover-cam style setup. It looks pretty comprehensive.

I'm going to try and wrangle a walk around the course some time in the next few weeks - someone at the club suggested trying to get my club professional to give them a call.

marcel
11th October 2004, 08:28 AM
amanda,

have they changed their Monday access,? Andrew and I played there (couple of years ago admittedly) without needing a member's invite.

amanda
11th October 2004, 08:33 AM
marcel - they said Monday is still an open comp - but a members invite was needed.

marcel
11th October 2004, 11:09 AM
amanda,

just spoke to their office, don't need a members invite, just need to be a member of a golf club and have a handicap. Sheet comes out 2 weeks ahead.

amanda
11th October 2004, 12:41 PM
thanks Marcel! must have been misinformed by the pro shop lady :? Now I just have to try and get a Monday off work :lol: