PDA

View Full Version : Overseas holiday - where to stay?

Peter
29th November 2007, 12:21 AM
Planning a trip overseas sometime in January for approx. a week. Looking to lie on a beach/by a pool somewhere and just relax. Golfing optional. No real budget, but I don't want to go overboard on the $$.

Any suggestions?

markTHEblake
29th November 2007, 12:34 AM
West Timor or Lombok.

Peter
29th November 2007, 12:48 AM
No security issues?

Jarro
29th November 2007, 05:59 AM
Bribie Island

cazandpaul
29th November 2007, 06:09 AM
Fiji

Grunt
29th November 2007, 06:45 AM
Hawaii, go now with the good exchange rate.

3oneday
29th November 2007, 06:51 AM
Looking to lie on a beach/by a pool somewhere and just relax. Golfing optional. No real budget, but I don't want to go overboard on the $$.I went to Fiji earlier this year, I think for 4 of us (2 kids) it was around 5k with not too much else spent (except for daily beer money)

Friendly folk and you can do plenty, or nothing. 8)

Grunt
29th November 2007, 06:55 AM
Malaysian Borneo would be good too, went there a few years ago. Shangri La @ Rasa Ria is great. Heaps to do, orangutan sanctuary just next door, beach, Pool and a golf course on site too

Fishman Dan
29th November 2007, 08:25 AM
Tasmania.

North Island of NZ. Stay around Whitianga or even down near Tauronga/Mt Manganui - great beaches, sea kayaking and stuff. Definately won't break the bank and there's heaps to do.

mikezone13
29th November 2007, 09:39 AM
I'm off to South Africa and Mozambique in 2 weeks time for a month, can definitely say that golfing in South Afrcia is great.

Accommodation can be dirt cheap (3 weeks for $700 Australian - 3,500 ZAR) but can also be reasonably priced for good quality.

This time I'm aiming for a hit at Leopard Country Club as well as some of the nice country clubs in Jo'burg as my last visit was spent around Cape Town.

markTHEblake
29th November 2007, 10:23 AM
No security issues?

In West Timor or Lombok - No. I mentioned these as they are the opposite of the rat race spots like Bali, Phuket et al

Best place I ever went to was an Island called Koh Samet off Rayong in Thailand (not Koh Samui). No Hotels, no westerners, just these little cabins on the sand dunes , small walk up bars, and dirt roads. If you are ever looking for a quiet place thats the one. Might have got a bit busier these days though, but its the first place i would go if I ever went back that way.

PeteyD
29th November 2007, 10:44 AM
sounds great Mark. How did you manage that?

markTHEblake
29th November 2007, 10:56 AM
sounds great Mark. How did you manage that?

Not sure what your asking - I jumped on the ferry and stayed there a couple of days.

Its a locals holiday spot so relatively unknown to the foreign crowd who would automatically head to the likes of Phuket and Koh Samui

PeteyD
29th November 2007, 10:58 AM
Yea that is basically what I wondered. sounds great

poidda
29th November 2007, 11:03 AM
Not sure what your asking - I jumped on the ferry and stayed there a couple of days.

Its a locals holiday spot so relatively unknown to the foreign crowd who would automatically head to the likes of Phuket and Koh Samui

The great Thailand hunt for the lady boys. :)

poidda
29th November 2007, 11:07 AM
Looking to lie on a beach/by a pool somewhere and just relax. Golfing optional.

Why overseas PeteyD It's very hard to beat Aussie beaches without the hassle of an 8 hour flight. But if you're after an easy overseas trip anywhere in the South Pacific will accommodate your needs. If you don't have a budget, than head to Bora Bora in Tahiti.

Just remember that all this part of the world is wet season in Jan though.

http://www.thebigday.com/i/dest/6/Manihi.jpg

markTHEblake
29th November 2007, 11:11 AM
Yea that is basically what I wondered. sounds great

I stayed with a Thai family in Bangkok, you could call it a homestay I guess. So I got to experience the place as a local as opposed to a tourist.

If anyone hasnt had a holiday like that before, its the best way to see the world. I cant imagine the point of going overseas and staying in a flash hotel. You can do that at Surfers Paradise.

PeteyD
29th November 2007, 11:24 AM
agree mark. Since my exchange to Japan that is the way I like to see places.

markTHEblake
29th November 2007, 11:29 AM
Alas my overseas holidays these days are limited to staying with the Mother in Law, being dragged off to a shopping centre every day, and about twice a week to an alcohol free wedding.

But now I have the internet and google earth - can find the golf courses now :-)

kpac
29th November 2007, 03:46 PM
Fiji's good value...
Tasmania, and come for a round at barnbougle :)

Courty
29th November 2007, 05:49 PM
Peter,

as already mentioned, anywhere in the tropics is a lottery as January is the middle of the monsoon weather (ie. lots of heavy rain). IMO, the best location is the North Island of New Zealand. At that time of year, it's plenty warm enough for swimming in the ocean etc. The Bay of Islands is a beautiful spot.

Moe Norman
29th November 2007, 08:00 PM
Vietnam mate, just as pretty as Thailand, and amazingly - it is cheaper.

mike
30th November 2007, 12:40 AM
I'm off to South Africa and Mozambique in 2 weeks time for a month, can definitely say that golfing in South Afrcia is great.

Accommodation can be dirt cheap (3 weeks for $700 Australian - 3,500 ZAR) but can also be reasonably priced for good quality.

This time I'm aiming for a hit at Leopard Country Club as well as some of the nice country clubs in Jo'burg as my last visit was spent around Cape Town.

You be careful there, Mike. SA is getting crazy dangerous . Wife's workmate is from there and is too scared to go back and I played golf with a young Sarth Efrican a month ago. He told me his family fled the country in fear.

Why are you going there ?

markTHEblake
30th November 2007, 12:49 AM
couple of blokes i know from SA both said they decided to migrate to OZ coz they figured being shot at 3 times was just too much.

mikezone13
30th November 2007, 08:13 AM
You be careful there, Mike. SA is getting crazy dangerous . Wife's workmate is from there and is too scared to go back and I played golf with a young Sarth Efrican a month ago. He told me his family fled the country in fear.

Why are you going there ?

I have a few SA friends and have heard all the horror stories. My girlfriend's parents live in Jo'burg (German/South Africans) so we're spending some time with them over the Christmas break.

On my last trip there Cape Town was very safe but one of business partners got stabbed in their office in Durban by a wandering crim.

It's definitely another world there, but it's all about not looking like a target/tourist and not deliberatley going to places you shouldn't. Although that can't guarantee safety.

PeteyD
30th November 2007, 09:21 AM
Jo' Burg hospital has the best gunshot trauma ward in the world. draw your own conclusions.

mikezone13
30th November 2007, 12:52 PM
Jo' Burg hospital has the best gunshot trauma ward in the world. draw your own conclusions.

Cary me own gun? ;)

3oneday
30th November 2007, 01:17 PM
Cary me own gun? ;)wouldn't expect they'd allow kiwis to carry guns :p

scarfie1
30th November 2007, 01:57 PM
Peter,

as already mentioned, anywhere in the tropics is a lottery as January is the middle of the monsoon weather (ie. lots of heavy rain). IMO, the best location is the North Island of New Zealand. At that time of year, it's plenty warm enough for swimming in the ocean etc. The Bay of Islands is a beautiful spot.

I second that, Bay of Islands is nice, but probably a second to the Coromandel Peninsula and if your going there, Mt Maunganui is tops too and less than 2 horus away.

mikezone13
1st December 2007, 08:20 PM
wouldn't expect they'd allow kiwis to carry guns :p
Why not? I'm going there to "bring back bill" :)

Peter
11th December 2007, 07:53 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions guys.

The girlfriend has decided that Fiji sounds fantastic, and is currently checking out availability / prices. For those that have been, is it worth paying the extra to go to somewhere like Denarau (Westin, Sheraton, etc)? Or is there another area that is better value and less likely to be rained out the whole time?

PeteyD
14th December 2007, 04:22 PM
One recommendation I have had for Fiji, Samoa etc is to pre pay your meals, or go somewhere where it is all included. Apparently they can be very expensive at the resorts, and you are somewhat captive.