PDA

View Full Version : Help with lob wedge needed.

Anonymous
7th October 2004, 09:50 AM
Hi folks,
I'm struggling with my lob wedge and would like to change. I have a Cleveland Tour Action 60^. It says REG.588 on it. I think it has too much bounce for me. The leading edge seems to sit off the turf and has begun to inspire that "am I going to blade it across the green" feeling. :oops:
Can any off you experts tell what bounce it has from the info I've provided?
Any suggestions for a low bounce 60^ wedge I can hunt down off eBay or places like 3balls?
Thanks

Fishman Dan
7th October 2004, 10:44 AM
Your first problem is that you have that negative thought in your head. Change it for "I am going to plonk this down softly near the pin".

If the leading edge is sitting off the turf, then your setup can't be right. Experiment a little, but make sure that leading edge is flush before you swing.

Commit to the stroke and think positive!

Anonymous
7th October 2004, 11:26 AM
Thanks Fishman Dan but perhaps I should expand. I play off 8 so whilst a long way from being a great golfer I'm not exactly a mug. There is nothing wrong with my set up. If a sand/lob wedge has a high bounce the leading edge will be sitting up (that is what bounce is for). The bounce is designed to dig into the sand before the leading edge. If you do otherwise the ball is way back in your stance or your hands are way forward.
I know the club I have has too much bounce but I'm trying to find out how much and gather some opinions on alternatives.
I know about the positive thoughts but it's easier said than done and the right club can give you the positive thought you need.

Fishman Dan
7th October 2004, 11:36 AM
I'm a chopper off 17 who scored a 60* off a mate last night, so it's all theory anyway ;) 8)

3oneday
7th October 2004, 11:37 AM
http://www.clevelandgolf.com/proshop/wedges/tech_info.php

Chucky, have a look here, it says the bounce of your wedge is 3*, "more dynamic bounce due to its wider sole".

I have a 58* 900 series 8 degree bounce that "has a leading edge that sits lower to the ground, making shots from tight lies more accessible" its for sale somewhere in here, but I don't exactly know what you are chasing.

Pete

BrisVegas
7th October 2004, 12:00 PM
Thanks for that link Pete. I was just about to post something similar. I was surprised to see the 588 lobbie has only 3 degrees bounce. The perception of the leading edge being up in the air must be due to the width of the sole. Maybe chucky could try one of the newer CG10 wedges which offer 3 different bounce profiles for each loft. The low bounce lob wedge has the narrowest sole widht, allowing it to be laid open more easily.

My ideal setup is :- 60 Low Bounce, 56 High Bounce, 52 Standard bounce. But hey, everyone's different!

Good luck Chucky! 8)

McMw
7th October 2004, 12:40 PM
my 58degree has a 8degree bounce on it, and I'm very comfortable with it...

I've never been comfortable with a pure lobwedge with the 3 or 4 degree bounce...

then again, how are your hands set-up at address....it could be as simple as pushing your hands forward (as you're spose to)...

Iain
7th October 2004, 12:47 PM
Chucky,
Two things - 1st, I agree with the Fishman that, if you think like that then you are about a 90% (at least) chance of blading one across the green, and since you are an 8 hcp, you know how to play the game resonably well, but I'd suggest you read Bob Rotella's book's, they are an excellent read, just ask Andippy.

2nd, I can't quite see how the bounce is causing you to blade shots, as by the time the leading edge or the bounce hits the ground the ball should be well on it's way, if you are blading it, it is because you are throwing the clubhead at the ball and the club is passing the hands. Just make sure you hit down on the ball, you don't have to help the ball into the air, that is the clubs job.

The leading edge seems to sit off the turf and has begun to inspire that "am I going to blade it across the green" feeling
When it sits off the turf, is that with the club straight up and down? or leaning forward slightly? If it is up and down, then I suggest just make the club lean forward a bit and watch how the leading edge will then sit on the ground. :wink:

Of course if you just want to buy a new club, then go right ahead.... 8)

Iain