PDA

View Full Version : Smoothy Buggy's

aussiemuggolfer
23rd November 2007, 12:02 PM
Hello All
Iam thinking of buying one of those Smoothy Buggy's, the ones with the suspension Ect. Anyone that has one are they easy to push about as i have read. Or is it just a gimmick. Just need some feedback before i spend $200.00.

Good Golfin to u all !!! :smt023
Blair

3oneday
23rd November 2007, 12:03 PM
Do it, just make sure it has a brake ;) best buggies ever.

If anyone mentions they have one of those big wheel ones going cheap, RUN !!! :lol:

BrisVegas
23rd November 2007, 12:08 PM
smoothys are great. shop around though. i think i paid closer to $160 for a black one. Plenty of us have them.

aussiemuggolfer
23rd November 2007, 01:01 PM
Thx Brisvegas & 3oneday.
yeh i have seen those big wheel ones. They look like something u could wheel Hanibal lecter around in !!!!!! Ugly dam things.
Think i might grab the black one cauz i have heard that the chrome ones tend to pit after a while. Seen them about $175.00 on line with Golfworks
and Ebay about $200.00 inc shipping. Drummonds i think $199.00.

Anyone have any suppliers i could try ?

Blair

AndyP
23rd November 2007, 01:05 PM
Harden the **** up and get a carry bag. ;)

fatrabbitbrain
23rd November 2007, 01:24 PM
They're great buggies. Just don't get complacent with the brake. I did, and I almost had to go for a swim in the Yarra River.

aussiemuggolfer
23rd November 2007, 01:52 PM
Harden the **** up and get a carry bag. ;)

Hah Too lazy these days :smt079

Rod Morri
23rd November 2007, 04:49 PM
Do it, just make sure it has a brake ;) best buggies ever.

If anyone mentions they have one of those big wheel ones going cheap, RUN !!! :lol:

just curious why you say this 3oneday....have you tried one of the big wheels?

BrisVegas
23rd November 2007, 04:55 PM
last i heard, jono had a big wheel buggy. given he's a tinkerer, who knows what mods have been done to it by now.... i think that's the buggy 3oneday would be wary of.

Jono
23rd November 2007, 05:20 PM
My Big Wheels are not for sale. Best buggy ever. 8)

Smoothy's OK, but the Big Wheel is actually easier to push.

Brisvegas, I haven't modified it yet, but I'm thinking of shortening it by 1" as it's a fraction too tall for the Ogio Grom. I might also get the sand bucket attachment.

3oneday
23rd November 2007, 05:27 PM
just curious why you say this 3oneday....have you tried one of the big wheels?Hi Frank and welcome 8) hows Betty ?

No mate, have seen them and think they look ridiculous. The fact they have been out for months make me think they might be a flop. 2ndly, Jono has one, and if he ever brought it to a game we would all die of laughter :lol:

Jarro
23rd November 2007, 05:31 PM
Another vote for the Smoothy here 8)

TS
23rd November 2007, 05:32 PM
No mate, have seen them and think they look ridiculous. The fact they have been out for months make me think they might be a flop. 2ndly, Jono has one, and if he ever brought it to a game we would all die of laughter :lol:

He did once. And the guys hasn't stop laughing yet.

Rod Morri
23rd November 2007, 05:36 PM
Betty's good 3oneday and thanks for the welcome....I should have posted in the welcome forum first I guess. Oops...
I agree the big wheel looks ridiculous but haven't yet met anyone who's tried one so was cuiorous for feedback. Sounds like Jono likes his.
I have heard great things about the Smoothy as well but I'm a carrier myself so haven't tried either....

Jono
23rd November 2007, 05:48 PM
Betty's good 3oneday and thanks for the welcome....I should have posted in the welcome forum first I guess. Oops...
I agree the big wheel looks ridiculous but haven't yet met anyone who's tried one so was cuiorous for feedback. Sounds like Jono likes his.
I have heard great things about the Smoothy as well but I'm a carrier myself so haven't tried either....

frank,

I've tried both. I had the original Smooty (without the brake) when it first came out. Couple of occasions, I had the pleasure of running after it as it started rolling by itself even on a slight slope. It does roll better than the normal buggy but there are situations where it is more difficult to roll (eg. in semi heavy rough). Thing that I didn't like about it was the amount of space it took when folded up. I had hard time fitting it in the boot of my Mazda Astina.

If I was in the market for a buggy now, I would consider the Clicgear three wheel fold up buggy. It looks like it folds up to a size smaller than one of my Bigwheel buggy wheels ... :lol:

www.clicgear.com (http://www.clicgear.com)

just
23rd November 2007, 07:38 PM
frank,

I've tried both. I had the original Smooty (without the brake) when it first came out. Couple of occasions, I had the pleasure of running after it as it started rolling by itself even on a slight slope. It does roll better than the normal buggy but there are situations where it is more difficult to roll (eg. in semi heavy rough). Thing that I didn't like about it was the amount of space it took when folded up. I had hard time fitting it in the boot of my Mazda Astina.

If I was in the market for a buggy now, I would consider the Clicgear three wheel fold up buggy. It looks like it folds up to a size smaller than one of my Bigwheel buggy wheels ... :lol:

www.clicgear.com (http://www.clicgear.com)

clicgear's do look really nice, but the pricing is steep. Around the $300 mark.

Jarro
23rd November 2007, 07:47 PM
clicgear's do look really nice, but the pricing is steep. Around the $300 mark.

He is a doctor mate :roll:

just
23rd November 2007, 08:12 PM
Yeah, but he is buying land and building a house in Sydney at the moment. Even a Doctor's pockets have limits!:lol:

TS
23rd November 2007, 08:17 PM
Yeah, but he is buying land and building a house in Sydney at the moment. Even a Doctor's pockets have limits!:lol:

Doctors have very deep pocket.

Grunt
23rd November 2007, 08:22 PM
Doctors have very deep pocket.

And short arms!

Courty
23rd November 2007, 11:22 PM
Smoothy's rawk! 8)

mike
24th November 2007, 12:01 AM
Are these the buggies that look like a pram ?

Courty
24th November 2007, 12:03 AM
That's the ones. ;)

mike
24th November 2007, 12:13 AM
Do they have an umbrella holder ?

Courty
24th November 2007, 12:16 AM
Mine does.

mike
24th November 2007, 12:18 AM
A hook for the sand bucket ?

Jono
24th November 2007, 05:54 AM
Smoothy's rawk! 8)

Yeah, and rock alright ... and makes lots of creaking noises when they do rock ... :lol:

3oneday
24th November 2007, 05:58 AM
wd-40

Jarro
24th November 2007, 06:22 AM
Do they have an umbrella holder ?

Mine doesn't .... probably the one thing i need to get for it :?

Courty
24th November 2007, 12:22 PM
A hook for the sand bucket ?

Check.

mike
24th November 2007, 05:42 PM
Seat ?

goughy
24th November 2007, 05:50 PM
think you can get them!

mike
24th November 2007, 07:16 PM
Is the seat padded ?

Courty
24th November 2007, 07:20 PM
Yes, mine came with a padded seat with a storage compartment underneath. It also has fully independent suspension, a foot brake, and folds up quite neatly. I bought it at Drummond Golf, and the umbrella holder was extra. Anything else?

3oneday
24th November 2007, 07:21 PM
You want pics ? I can take some tomorrow of how it looks folded, seat and all ! :)

mikezone13
24th November 2007, 07:44 PM
You want pics ? I can take some tomorrow of how it looks folded, seat and all ! :)

Yes please ;)

goughy
24th November 2007, 07:47 PM
You're starting to turn me on 3!!!!! ;)

3oneday
24th November 2007, 08:05 PM
You're starting to turn me on 3!!!!! ;)you have a photo saved somewhere that should remedy your horniness ???

:lol:

goughy
24th November 2007, 08:07 PM
Nice crack! Ok, remedy taken and successful!!

AndyP
24th November 2007, 10:17 PM
$300 for a buggy?!? FFS!

Eag's
24th November 2007, 10:28 PM
Paid $140 for mine and love it, smooth as silk to push :smt023

goughy
24th November 2007, 10:29 PM
Buy a carry bag and you don't even have to buy a cart!! You can save the money for physio for your back.

Grunt
24th November 2007, 10:34 PM
I converted my old Proline into a 3 wheeler for $30. Works good enough for me when the need for a buggy is req'd.

Courty
24th November 2007, 10:49 PM
Grunt, I had a 3rd wheel on my old buggy, but it doesn't hold a candle to my Smoothy.

Grunt
24th November 2007, 10:59 PM
I only use buggy 2 maybe 3 times a year.

v205
24th November 2007, 11:11 PM
Most people here have the Smoothie with the seat (ala Pilgrim) or those trolley style?

Rusty
25th November 2007, 08:06 PM
seat type.

MegaWatty
26th June 2011, 09:52 PM
Here's a little bit of an average review on my Smoothy Micro Suspension.

I've used it for 4 rounds now and love it. At first I was very unsure whether I'd wasted over 300 bucks of Pro Shop money when I should have kept my Classic. Thank goodness it came good.

The first thing I noticed was how tight the springs were and it was a pretty rough ride the first one or two rounds. The springs have now softened up as has the ride.

It's not as stable as the Classic which is understandable because it's clearly not as rigid a design. You might notice the looseness in it whilst the springs are still tight.

The seat. As Pauline once said, I don't like it. Some people will already have a buggy with the same seat setup where you drop it in the side and it has a spring loaded system. Firstly, on rough terrain, the seat bounces up and down and can be a little noisy. The bottom is also shaped like a symbol so every time a rock or a stick flies up, you get a very audible ding like a bell. I I get a chance, I might try some mods to fix these two issues. In the mean time, I don't attach the seat.

Not attaching the seat has left me nowhere to store my rangefinder, so I now put that in the drink holder near the handle and have attached a seperate drink holder to the lower left upright. Great compromise and very handy.

The main reason for upgrading to this buggy when the Classic still served me well was bootspace. I couldn't fit the buggy and the staff bag into the boot of a Falcon! I now can. In fact I just worked out the best way to do it without removing the wheels like I had been for the first few rounds.

The storage on the handle including the scorecard holder and lift compartment are nice and convenient as well.

So here's the verdict. If you love your Smoothy Classic but hate that it takes up so much boot space, get a Micro Suspension. If you love your Smoothy Classic and have heaps of bootspace, you may just want to hold onto it.

Hope this helps, and I ask you forgive the spelling and grammar as I've typed more than I thought I would and did it all on my phone.

goonie
26th June 2011, 10:24 PM
What size tour bag do you have and does it sit on the buggy straight? Is it easy to get gear out of the back of the bag?
I have been looking at this buggy as a replacement for my current buggy when it dies because it looks it could fit a tour bag without having to put it on sideways, like a clicgear, and it has a seat.

MegaWatty
26th June 2011, 10:27 PM
9" bag that sits on the buggy easily without having to be on sideways. Access to pockets is fine. I'll try to remember a pic next time I play (not this Thursday, but next).

goonie
26th June 2011, 11:16 PM
thanks

Johnny Canuck
27th June 2011, 09:23 AM
9" bag that sits on the buggy easily without having to be on sideways. Access to pockets is fine. I'll try to remember a pic next time I play (not this Thursday, but next).

I can't believe you didn't make reference to having a 9" coq.

Pieface
27th June 2011, 10:37 AM
So we are getting close to go ahead on the classic Mega? PM a price so I can start lowballing :D

MegaWatty
27th June 2011, 10:44 AM
I've PM'd you ages ago to say I'm ready.

2 Pineapples should do.

Pieface
27th June 2011, 10:51 AM
WTF is a pineapple? Sounds painful...am I giving or receiving?

I saw no PM...

MegaWatty
3rd July 2011, 06:28 PM

I saw no PM...

Pineapple = $50.

Jarro
3rd July 2011, 06:31 PM

You WAnkers must have great golf days

MegaWatty
3rd July 2011, 06:33 PM
Notice how few I play in? ;)

Jarro
3rd July 2011, 06:53 PM
It's all becoming a lot clearer now

Pieface
4th July 2011, 11:34 AM
Pineapple = $50.

I thought we were talking 4 carrots? I musta burned a carrots worth of fuel getting lost dropping off your hybrids ;)

Yossarian
4th July 2011, 11:40 AM
I like spring onion.

simmsy
4th July 2011, 11:55 AM
Pieface = golfnut (only taller)

find one cheaper that still looks brand new.

Pieface
4th July 2011, 12:05 PM
I haven't seen it at all! Do you get commission old man? :p

Only lawyers have wallets full of spring onions!

Yossarian
4th July 2011, 12:06 PM
50 bucks for a 230 dollar buggy and you are haggling... Shame.

Pieface
4th July 2011, 12:14 PM
2 pineapples =/= $50. Thanks for playing!