PDA

View Full Version : Knockdown driver

Jono
6th October 2004, 08:05 PM
Here's a new shot that I learned that proved to be very effective.

Situation: Club Championship 1st round, from back tees. 10th hole at Bayview is usually an "easy" 160 meter par 3 from the white tees. From the back tees, it measures 215-220 meters and it was playing into a headwind on the Club Champ round. 2 iron probably wouldn't get there and I left the 3 and 5 woods at home, opting for an extra wedge. I could have swung hard with the 2 iron hybrid but that would probably have lead to a mis-hit or a ballooned shot.

Solution: a playing partner played a three quarter knockdown shot with his driver. Low tee, soft arms, three quarter swing. He blocked it slightly to the right, but the ball stayed nicely under the wind. He ended up about 5m from the green.

I had a go with the driver as well. Choked down about an inch. Soft hands and soft arms. Three quarter backswing and an easy swing with abbreviated followthrough. The ball stayed low, landed about 20 meters short of the green and ended up on the back fringe, about 15 feet from the hole. Easy two putts for par.

The other two guys in the group opted for long irons and took bogeys.

I think it's a good shot to have under your belt, especially on a windy day.

markTHEblake
6th October 2004, 08:16 PM
215 metres into the wind and you had to think twice about using the driver :?

Ducky
6th October 2004, 08:17 PM
Enter the 'Stinger'...

:D

Kind regards,

Ben (Ducky).

Ona
6th October 2004, 09:07 PM
what... no 1iron :smt017

:smt020

McMw
6th October 2004, 09:34 PM
tat'll teach you to leave the 3 and 5 wood at home again... :lol:

amanda
7th October 2004, 06:38 AM
That's an interesting shot Jono - but you should have brought the 3w - it has a low ball flight anyway :wink:

Trung
7th October 2004, 08:45 AM
Jono, nice par 3...

Now spill the bean, tell us your scores for the first 2 rounds of Champo :D

Fishman Dan
7th October 2004, 08:49 AM
How many putts did you have from there though? ;)

Trung
7th October 2004, 09:21 AM
The ball stayed low, landed about 20 meters short of the green and ended up on the back fringe, about 15 feet from the hole. Easy two putts for par.

Fishman Dan
7th October 2004, 09:25 AM
The ball stayed low, landed about 20 meters short of the green and ended up on the back fringe, about 15 feet from the hole. Easy two putts for par.

:oops:

I uh... er.. um... ooh. Ah crap.... :smt105

AndyP
7th October 2004, 09:45 AM
Easy two putts for par.

:oops:

Don't worry about it, Fishy. His post was obviously too long. :wink:

Fishman Dan
7th October 2004, 10:30 AM
Don't worry about it, Fishy. His post was obviously too long. :wink:

;)

I don't read e-mails over 3 lines long, and i skim-read posts about the same length (if you hadn't already worked out!).

Jono
7th October 2004, 05:56 PM
Jono, nice par 3...

Now spill the bean, tell us your scores for the first 2 rounds of Champo :D

The first round got postponed, so we only played one round instead of two over the long weekend. I started with a birdie on the first hole, and then it was all downhill from there. Waited over 10 minutes on the 2nd tee :? and proceeded to hit my tee shot out of bounds. After over 5 hours of agonizing slow play, I finished with 87 ... I think I'm in the middle of the pack for the A reserve grade. 2nd qualifying round this Saturday ... I'll probably have to shoot in the 70's to qualify.

I'll definitely be taking my 3 wood this Saturday ... :wink:

Jono
7th October 2004, 06:02 PM

It says 215m but I would normally hit a 2 iron on that hole. The wind wasn't that strong ... say 15mph.

Anyway, the point of the post is that I tried a shot that I've never played before and I pulled it off. Can't you just pat me on the back and say, "Well done, Jono"? :roll: Come to think of it, if I heard you say something like that, Blakey, I'd be worried that you're losing your edge ... :lol:

Iain
7th October 2004, 07:35 PM

It says 215m but I would normally hit a 2 iron on that hole. The wind wasn't that strong ... say 15mph.

Anyway, the point of the post is that I tried a shot that I've never played before and I pulled it off. Can't you just pat me on the back and say, "Well done, Jono"? :roll: Come to think of it, if I heard you say something like that, Blakey, I'd be worried that you're losing your edge ... :lol:

Well done Jono. :lol:

BrisVegas
7th October 2004, 07:39 PM
Well done Jono! :lol:

Imagination, cunning and creativity. 8) And we all thought you were just a ball-crushing long drive brute. :twisted: :shock: :wink:

Eag's
7th October 2004, 09:06 PM
Wow Jono, you must of really had to reel it in to keep it under 215 mate :wink: :smt037

Jono
8th October 2004, 04:57 AM
Wow Jono, you must of really had to reel it in to keep it under 215 mate :wink: :smt037

I had to suppress all my "ball crushing" instincts to hit that shot ... :wink:

Jono
8th October 2004, 05:03 AM
And we all thought you were just a ball-crushing long drive brute. :twisted: :shock: :wink:

This ball crusher is turning into a GOLFER ... :lol: (anyone reading this would think I'm a 6'4" long drive champ or something .... :wink: )