PDA

View Full Version : What can we do better?

AndyP
19th November 2007, 08:30 PM
So obviously there's been a couple of hiccups, and I was going to start this thread before I'd heard about the preferred lies issue anyway.

This thing has got bigger each year, yet the running of it is getting better. Partly because we know what we are doing now, and also because the load is split between many people.

What can we do differently next year to make it even better? What didn't work this year?

----------------

I don't know what happened to the club putting pin & LD markers out on the Saturday, but that's what we need to happen.

I thought the snags pre-game Saturday was a great idea, and we could probably up that a bit next year.

I know we got away with taking our own booze this year, but does anyone envisage any problems with this happening next year, assuming a return to KV?

Flowergirl
19th November 2007, 08:41 PM
I thought the best thing was that the golf wasn't the most important thing. Just getting everyone together was fantastic. I loved being able to sit around the 18th and watch everyone finish.
The Pavillion was a great venue - far enough away not to annoy the other guests.
And I think the byo won't be a big problem as long as everyone is discreet. I didn't see anyone there who would have policed it anyways. There's a lot more of us than them.
If we can get a similar deal as this year it is great value too. The breakfast was very good, the rooom are fine, friendly staff and the course can only improve.
Maybe next year we need a tee marshall so everyone knows if there are local rules etc.

PeteyD
19th November 2007, 08:41 PM
Club didn't do it on saturday cos no one asked. Someone was supposed to ...

Don't see an issue with taking our own booze, as long as we don't take it into the licenced areas all should be good. No one got pulled up on it.

goughy
19th November 2007, 08:50 PM
I think grunt said that he had a carton under one arm while signing the paper that said you can't bring in your own booze at reception. Probably a standard doc that no one cares about.

Courty
19th November 2007, 09:18 PM
I think grunt said that he had a carton under one arm while signing the paper that said you can't bring in your own booze at reception. Probably a standard doc that no one cares about.

I plonked my bag full of UDLs on the counter just before I signed said document. The lass didn't bat an eyelid.

shazza_rs
19th November 2007, 09:19 PM
By the time we got there to pay we didnt even have to sign it....

PeteyD
19th November 2007, 09:21 PM
nah they just had some warnings out to appease the licensing commission

perci
19th November 2007, 09:25 PM
We could have a dry weekend!

shazza_rs
19th November 2007, 09:26 PM
**** that!!!

PeteyD
19th November 2007, 09:29 PM
You'd shrivel up and die perci.

Eag's
19th November 2007, 09:55 PM
We could have a dry weekend!

HAHA yeah, about as likely as you never buying another club mate ;)

goughy
19th November 2007, 09:57 PM
You'd shrivel up and die perci.

Yeah, don't forget. Alcohol is a preservative...

BrisVegas
20th November 2007, 08:12 AM
I came thru reception to sign in with clubs, then went back to car and took esky via the back passage into room.

yep, that's the smarter option. What they don't know can't hurt them.

Jarro
20th November 2007, 08:40 AM
I thought the whole thing went rather smoothly, doesn't appear to be too much else that needs doing .... maybe just some fine-tuning of the pre tee-off stuff (groupings,etc)

Other than that i think you clowns did a bang up job :smt023

Eag's
20th November 2007, 09:12 AM
Without doubt the best organised Champs yet, just a few little things we can improve on. PeteyD's idea of a white board or something where we can put up any info regarding format, groups, etc... would be tops.

Also if we could make sure all NTP's, long drives etc... are collected and maybe get all their locations put on a hand out which is given to each group as they collect their cards. This could be looked after buy the pro shop staff if given enough notice?
I would be more than happy to look after this for next years Champs :smt023

Grunt
20th November 2007, 04:30 PM
We are going back to KV so most of the thing that can be fixed were solved over the weekend. Before Saturday there was no real decisions (100%) made about NTP's and Long Drive holes Etc. Next year they will be set in stone. Won't be that hard to print up a little players info sheet with all the reqd data on it. Once it is in print everyone has the same rules. Easy fix.
Nothing else needs to be done, a great weekend yet again!

BrisWesty
21st November 2007, 02:07 PM
I came thru reception to sign in with clubs, then went back to car and took esky via the back paggage into room.

No wonder you swing like that if you can fit an esky in your back passage. ;-)

BrisVegas
21st November 2007, 02:08 PM
he's the ultimate "mule". :lol:

markTHEblake
21st November 2007, 04:53 PM
One thing i noticed was that about half of the scorecards were quite ordinary. One example was a card that had three scores on it and the only reference to names was the persons first initial.

Just because its not a formal competition card doesnt mean we should go about things half assed. A proper scorecard makes the job of working out the results much easier.

PeteyD
21st November 2007, 04:58 PM
Yea, names on the card is handy.

Grunt
21st November 2007, 05:00 PM
I was probably one of the offenders on Sunday or part of it. Never did a card as 990B said he had it covered. I never looked at it after that.

Jarro
21st November 2007, 05:03 PM
TS and I had both our scores on the one card.

That's OK isn't it ? Both our names were clearly marked

shazza_rs
21st November 2007, 05:10 PM
when we were talking about a course marshall..... maybe we can con one of the wifes to get everyone in order.....

If Leah and Robyn come back next year I'm sure they could tow us into line :)

AndyP
21st November 2007, 05:44 PM
Don't you just need the total score? Therefore multiple scores on a card is fine.

PeteyD
21st November 2007, 08:10 PM
Yea multiple scores on a card is fine, as long as we know who they belong to ;)

poidda
23rd November 2007, 09:59 AM
Maybe we could organise the club to run a comp for us so cards can be submitted?!

dc68
23rd November 2007, 10:00 AM
:smt023

And handicaps adjusted!!!!!!!!!!

;)

BrisVegas
23rd November 2007, 10:04 AM
sounds good to me.

dc68
23rd November 2007, 10:25 AM
Ducking Fobber

BrisVegas
23rd November 2007, 10:33 AM
When Billy and I got in our cart there were no scorecards supplied on the steering wheel. When I pay the big bucks to play at these fancy schmancy resorts I don't think I should be forced to walk back to the pro shop to get cards....particularly as I would have to avoid the pool of DC spew on the ground.

they handed out the score cards when you went in to the pro shop to register and sign for a cart. Are you saying that neither of you two bandits bothered to check in?? :roll:

PeteyD
23rd November 2007, 11:32 AM
Your own stupid fault then. If someone voluteers to put the cards on the cart, like I did on Satdee then it gets done.

PeteyD
23rd November 2007, 11:58 AM
Cos someone else had apparently done that!

poidda
23rd November 2007, 01:41 PM
Cos someone else had apparently done that!

:roll:

swanny
28th February 2008, 04:32 AM
folks being only new to the forum and never having attended a a championships i noiced how you were trying to make the sunday a bit more meaningful for want of a better word. How about running a state of Origin type event where perhaps you play a sabelford event and the best 3 players scores from each state are added together and that state declared the winner.

Courty
28th February 2008, 06:16 AM
folks being only new to the forum and never having attended a a championships

That reminds me, there have been a few instances that I have noticed where newcomers were not aware the Champs even existed... maybe a new banner could go up which could be linked to the Champs thread?

AndyP
28th February 2008, 07:47 AM
Good idea.
A group shot with "Will you be joining us this year?" or some shizzle like that.

PeteyD
28th February 2008, 07:52 AM
Swanny - that was sort of tried last year. However due to the disproportionate numbers of QLD golfers it was canned for a teams idea that was organised by Mark the Blake.

Trung
28th February 2008, 07:55 AM
FYI Swanny,

Blakey is a f*&(ing idiot.

:-k

poidda
28th February 2008, 08:27 AM
FYI Swanny,

Blakey is a f*&(ing idiot.

:-k

Is that the new ozgolf slogan?

BrisVegas
28th February 2008, 08:31 AM
I think courty's idea of a link to the champs in the banner is a good one.

Courty
28th February 2008, 07:39 PM
All in favour? OK, I'll knock something up in the next few days. If anyone has a suitable pic, PM or email it to me.

AndyP
28th February 2008, 07:45 PM
Maybe a pic from the masses on the hill at KV. Or one of the group shots from the Cool-Tweed Champs days. Or a shot of the Cup.

Courty
28th February 2008, 07:49 PM
I could do a combination of all of the above... if I had them. ;)

AndyP
28th February 2008, 07:59 PM
I've sent you some that I have on my drive, but it might be worthwhile having a quick look at the Robyn/Tez photos from last years too, for any memorable moments, like Chops chip-in for example.

Moe Norman
28th February 2008, 08:06 PM
think it would be good if we arranged with KV for it to be an official comp.

would hate to have someone have a hole in one, that isn't really a hole in one :roll:

Eag's
28th February 2008, 09:56 PM
All in favour? OK, I'll knock something up in the next few days. If anyone has a suitable pic, PM or email it to me.

Yeah top idea mate but make sure there is none with G69's ugly melon in it :smt108

Jarro
29th February 2008, 05:27 AM
Seeing as though there'll be a few more 'newbies' there this year, i think we need to do the nametag thing again 8)

Worked really well last year i thought.

BrisVegas
29th February 2008, 07:43 AM
I still got my nametag, I don't mind bringing it again.

Flowergirl
29th February 2008, 08:06 AM

No I don't want last years. Last year I was Ozgolf's Mum. This year I want to be Ozgolf's goddess!!;)

shazza_rs
29th February 2008, 08:13 AM

It's cool vegas... i'll do them again for this year. Then you can have a little collection :)

BrisVegas
29th February 2008, 08:15 AM
No I don't want last years. Last year I was Ozgolf's Mum. This year I want to be Ozgolf's goddess!!;)

I can't shake ozgolf's Jim Furyk... :roll:

shazza_rs
29th February 2008, 08:22 AM
I'm sure i can come up with something else for you vegas..... lets just hope you haven't still got the shanks come champs time. :)

BrisVegas
29th February 2008, 08:23 AM
I'm sure i can come up with something else for you vegas..... lets just hope you haven't still got the shanks come champs time. :)

anything is possible at the champs!

Choppa
29th February 2008, 08:29 AM
Any chance I can get something that is not alcohol related? :)

shazza_rs
29th February 2008, 08:31 AM
Any chance I can get something that is not alcohol related? :)

very slim..... i'll see what i can do...:mrgreen:

PeteyD
29th February 2008, 09:46 AM
ROFL. Chops is never gonna live it down.

Courty
29th February 2008, 04:16 PM
Can we petition the Admins to change his username from Choppa to Chukka? :p

Grunt
6th July 2008, 07:22 AM
Contacting KV about running the champs as a comp for golf link would be great. Not sure if they would want a payment for it though. If it were to cost say $3 per player extra it would be worth it.
Those with no AGU, not that there are many of us like that, they could just have a manual one done by the guys running the champs. It would mean automatic handicap deductions for those that play well, also that handicaps would be updated throughout the weekend.
Did we adjust any in earlier champs? I never took any notice as I have never played well enough to worry about it.

PeteyD
6th July 2008, 07:54 AM
No to golflink. Sundays round should not be able to be recorded. Plus you don't alter your handicap during a competition.

Courty
6th July 2008, 07:57 AM
Plus you don't alter your handicap during a competition.

The overall Champs should be assessed at whatever handicaps were before commencement. If there will be any daily scoring events, they should be based on adjusted handicaps (ie. If Poidda shoots 42 pts on Saturday :roll:, then he should be playing off a lower h'cap on Sunday, but only for the daily prizes)

PeteyD
6th July 2008, 08:00 AM
you wanna sort it out?

Courty
6th July 2008, 08:01 AM
Didn't this happen last year?

PeteyD
6th July 2008, 08:03 AM
No. Handicaps are what golflink says on Friday.

markTHEblake
6th July 2008, 12:15 PM
Contacting KV about running the champs as a comp for golf link would be great. If they have a members/open competition on the day thats a no brainer.

But still its going to be complicated for the majority of Ozgolfers, as they are going to have to do some tricky things like, sign scorecards, add it up, and write name on card. Far too difficult i reckon

BrisVegas
7th July 2008, 07:35 AM
But still its going to be complicated for the majority of Ozgolfers, as they are going to have to do some tricky things like, sign scorecards, add it up, and write name on card. Far too difficult i reckon

gee, and I was going to suggest we play a 2 round eclectic over the weekend too...:roll:

poidda
7th July 2008, 07:44 AM
The overall Champs should be assessed at whatever handicaps were before commencement. If there will be any daily scoring events, they should be based on adjusted handicaps (ie. If Poidda shoots 42 pts on Saturday :roll:, then he should be playing off a lower h'cap on Sunday, but only for the daily prizes)

WTF? Is this to stop me from cleaning up all the prizes again? :?

Eag's
7th July 2008, 07:47 AM
WTF? Is this to stop me from cleaning up all the prizes again? :?

Yeah that rule applies to you and only you ;)

poidda
7th July 2008, 07:53 AM
Yeah that rule applies to you and only you ;) Seems fair I suppose. I still think a stroke-for-a-six-pack rule needs to be implemented. It just aint fair on DC. ;)

dc68
7th July 2008, 08:46 AM
:-s

swanny
16th July 2008, 10:31 PM
Do we run a calcutta on the champs

Courty
13th February 2009, 08:45 PM
Do we run a calcutta on the champs

Bump for a good idea for Friday evening.

markTHEblake
13th February 2009, 08:58 PM
Calcutta has been mentioned every year, its a good idea but I cant see enough money been spread around.

Courty
13th February 2009, 09:00 PM
Calcutta has been mentioned every year, its a good idea but I cant see enough money been spread around.

As long as 69er & Poidda are present, there will be plenty of coinage involved. ;)

PeteyD
14th February 2009, 10:07 PM
Pardon my gambling ignoranus, but what is it?

adlo
15th February 2009, 12:13 AM
Pardon my gambling ignoranus, but what is it?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calcutta_(gambling) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calcutta_%28gambling%29)

markTHEblake
15th February 2009, 12:48 AM
it is an Auction where teams or individuals are bid for, and then the total money pool is distributed amongst the winner and a few places. Often a portion of the money pool goes to the actual individuals who earned the place even though they might not have bid.

It generates a helluva lot of money, as people will bid up other auctions in order to increase the prize pool to their own benefit, and a lot of syndicate betting and contra deals can occur.

If anyone knows how to run one properly it might come off. I have been in a few as a player but never really understood everything that was happening.

PeteyD
15th February 2009, 07:40 AM
Hmm I reckon I could organise something like that. Do we really want t obe betting on each other at the champs though?

sms316
15th February 2009, 03:07 PM
The biggest drama with doing this would be getting everyone together at once. Having done a couple of these in the past, I can say that they are a waste of time if there is only a few in attendance. Do it with a good crowd, and they are great.

We could do it 2 hours before the first tee time (40 players @ 3 mins each). Or preferably the night before - although I don't know how viable that is.

Or - out of left field - conduct the auction in the chat room a week before.

markTHEblake
15th February 2009, 03:44 PM
doesnt even need to be in the chat room, just in the forums, an auction can take a week if you like.

thought it would need to be 10 x teams of 4. you really need many more bidders than players to generate a significant pool.

oh, and not too mention, isnt a calcutta illegal? (gaming laws)

just
7th May 2010, 11:49 AM
BEFORE YOU PROCEED:
1. This is not criticism of anyone, so don't take it personally.
2. Feel free to discuss my suggestions, but stick to the suggestions don't start taking digs at me.
3. If you don't like my suggestions make some of your own.

This is a follow on from Eags/AndyP in the POTY 2009 thread although I have been kicking around these issues in my head for a while.

No one should take this as criticism, although some of you will, it's more of an observation. Jobs on Ozgolf which are related to events tend to be a closely guarded with little room for anyone else to do them or so it seems, I'm sure some of us couldn't give a rats arse about doing anymore and are happy with things as they are and there are others, especially newcomers who would like to do more. This is apart from organising the majors, large games etc, which get handed off with alacrity-I understand why, this is a difficult task. But there seems little room for anyone else to do jobs like MC champs presentation, organise the prize giving etc. Other things like POTY and Most Improved are left up to the whim of the organiser (no criticism of Pete in this instance, he's busy with work, building a new house and making babies, I don't blame him if he's a little short of time at the moment, and no one else has offered a hand probably).

What this means is that these events sometimes gets overlooked or sometimes a little disorganised. Since these events are on our honour board you would think they are at least a little important to us. So I think we should look at a few things:

1. Are these events important to us?

2. Should we continue to run them?

3. If so which ones? POTY? Matchplay? Most Improved?

4. Should we add anything new?

Here's a few suggestions of mine:

1. Post Champs each year decide a few people to organise and run each event such as POTY/Most Improved/Matchplay for the next year. The reasons for this are as follows:
a. If we determine who will run it prior to the event, we don't have to wait until someone reluctantly raises their hand for it to begin (or in some cases doesn't).
b. If we have a few, or at least two, organisers for each event, the burden is shared and not reliant on one persons personal circumstances.

2. The organisers place the spreadsheet/organising documents in a place accessible by all of them, so they are each able to access and update and once again we are not reliant on one persons personal circumstances.

3. We ditch Most Improved, or at the very least change it to some sort of encouragement award with more defined rules.

4. POTY should not count the Champs and should only look at results at events which are majors or classics, or at the very least raise the minimum number of people in an event to 8. My reasoning for discounting the Champs is because it takes too long to run up the numbers after the event, but more importantly that one event skews the results significantly. I think the majors or classics should be the only ones that count because they are the events which guarantee maximum participation and therefore the fairest possibility for everyone to win. If we can't do that at the very least raise the minimum numbers, so people who can play mid week don't skew the numbers with their numerous small events.

Now to the Champs, because it is becoming a large event and this needs tighter organisation and will also inevitably cause time constraints. For whatever reason the start times on the Sunday are getting later and later and the field is also getting larger and larger meaning that the finish time is also getting later and later. Not a problem for some, but I don't want to see someone cleaned up as they travel home in the dark after two (possibly three for some) energy sapping days on the piss (even if you are not on the piss it's a tiring event). So i think it's encumbant upon all of us to finish up as soon as possible after the event, then it's up to individuals if we want to hang around or depart. The suggestions are as follows:

1. Appoint someone to manage the prizes prior to the event. This would alleviate the mad dash at the end to determine what goes to whom before the ceremony and potentially save some time. They would look at what has been donated via the thread and make up a list prior to the champs and then make last minute changes based on what actually turns up. I'm happy to do this, but I'm equally happy if we have a vote on someone if we go down this route.

2. Champs results don't count to POTY. Reasons as per previous suggestion above, but mainly because it will save some time.

3. Saturday daily prizes and events decided prior to Champs are given out on Saturday evening at the piss up. Once again to save some time, leaving Sunday for Sunday daily prizes and main events not previously decided. And also gives everyone added incentive to turn up on Saturday night for at least a short while and not swan off to threesomes and other less worthwhile distractions.

4. The score at the bottom (or top) of your card is the score that is entered, not hole by hole, we shouldn't have to account for your ****ups. This will save a heap of time on both Saturday and Sunday for the scorekeepers and the rest of us. The only scores which will be entered hole by hole will be for those with handicaps under 10, and by special request for others if you think you are in with a sniff, for the gross comp- this score will only count towards the gross comp, for fairness to the rest of the field the score at the bottom (or top) of your card will be the one which counts towards the other prizes.

These are my suggestions feel free to discuss them or make a few of your own.

BrisVegas
7th May 2010, 12:37 PM
I like the suggestion that POTY should only count Majors and classics. I also like the idea that champs shouldn't count towards POTY. For instance, in 2007 I won POTY with only a few ozgolf events thanks to a lucky weekend at the champs. AndyP and Peter_RS had put in the hard yards playing heaps of events, only to be pipped at the post.

henno
7th May 2010, 12:46 PM
Some good stuff in there, Just. I will post a few ideas a bit later when i have some more time (read: not at work).

Eag's
7th May 2010, 01:53 PM
Some good suggestions in there Just. I agree with your POTY views and Champs ideas.

shazza_rs
7th May 2010, 02:30 PM
POTY only counting classics and majors would definitely help the workload. At the moment, pete has to trawl through the 1st tee threads to get scores and see if the games even went ahead. At least with the majors and bigger events, scores tend to be done up properly.

WRT prize allocation at the champs. This is already done beforehand off the list. It is usually changed at the last minute as some of the stuff hasn't turned up.

I'm all for sharing the workload around. I don't mind doing the matchplay stuff, but I'm happy for someone else to take over and revamp it a little for next year.

I also think finishing earlier on the Sunday is a good way to go especially if the field is going to be out at 60 people. Part of the fun from previous champs (excluding pelican) was seeing the state of people in the early tee times.

just
7th May 2010, 02:42 PM
WRT prize allocation at the champs. This is already done beforehand off the list. It is usually changed at the last minute as some of the stuff hasn't turned up.
Wasn't last year Shaz, Andy was making up the list just before the prize giving, or so it seemed. If it's done good but anyway part of the reason for the suggestion was to get more people involved in the Champs organisation.

shazza_rs
7th May 2010, 02:46 PM
Actually Bruce and I were doing it, but hey... don't let the facts get in the road :)

just
7th May 2010, 02:57 PM
Actually Bruce and I were doing it, but hey... don't let the facts get in the road :)
I did say or so it seemed and I got it wrong, I apologise. But it doesn't change the fact it's a good way of getting others involved in the Champs organisation. Is it a closed shop or can others join in? Because if it is I'll happily turn up and enjoy the event as I'm sure others will, but I would also like to become more involved as I'm equally sure others would.

AndyP
7th May 2010, 03:23 PM
Actually Bruce and I were doing it, but hey... don't let the facts get in the road :)Yes, I had nothing to do with it. I took a step back from Champs organising after the first few years.

Just, there is a Champs Committee forum that I can give you access to if you are interested. We actually have discussed task allocation there in previous years, so it's not quite as chaotic in regards to who does what, as you think.

Jarro
7th May 2010, 03:46 PM
Just, i only wanna turn up and play ... leaving the hard work of organising to others.

Is that OK ?

mike
7th May 2010, 04:33 PM
BEFORE YOU PROCEED:
1. This is not criticism of anyone, so don't take it personally.
2. Feel free to discuss my suggestions, but stick to the suggestions don't start taking digs at me.
3. If you don't like my suggestions make some of your own.

This is a follow on from Eags/AndyP in the POTY 2009 thread although I have been kicking around these issues in my head for a while.

No one should take this as criticism, although some of you will, it's more of an observation. Jobs on Ozgolf which are related to events tend to be a closely guarded with little room for anyone else to do them or so it seems, I'm sure some of us couldn't give a rats arse about doing anymore and are happy with things as they are and there are others, especially newcomers who would like to do more. This is apart from organising the majors, large games etc, which get handed off with alacrity-I understand why, this is a difficult task. But there seems little room for anyone else to do jobs like MC champs presentation, organise the prize giving etc. Other things like POTY and Most Improved are left up to the whim of the organiser (no criticism of Pete in this instance, he's busy with work, building a new house and making babies, I don't blame him if he's a little short of time at the moment, and no one else has offered a hand probably).

What this means is that these events sometimes gets overlooked or sometimes a little disorganised. Since these events are on our honour board you would think they are at least a little important to us. So I think we should look at a few things:

1. Are these events important to us?

2. Should we continue to run them?

3. If so which ones? POTY? Matchplay? Most Improved?

4. Should we add anything new?

Here's a few suggestions of mine:

1. Post Champs each year decide a few people to organise and run each event such as POTY/Most Improved/Matchplay for the next year. The reasons for this are as follows:
a. If we determine who will run it prior to the event, we don't have to wait until someone reluctantly raises their hand for it to begin (or in some cases doesn't).
b. If we have a few, or at least two, organisers for each event, the burden is shared and not reliant on one persons personal circumstances.

2. The organisers place the spreadsheet/organising documents in a place accessible by all of them, so they are each able to access and update and once again we are not reliant on one persons personal circumstances.

3. We ditch Most Improved, or at the very least change it to some sort of encouragement award with more defined rules.

4. POTY should not count the Champs and should only look at results at events which are majors or classics, or at the very least raise the minimum number of people in an event to 8. My reasoning for discounting the Champs is because it takes too long to run up the numbers after the event, but more importantly that one event skews the results significantly. I think the majors or classics should be the only ones that count because they are the events which guarantee maximum participation and therefore the fairest possibility for everyone to win. If we can't do that at the very least raise the minimum numbers, so people who can play mid week don't skew the numbers with their numerous small events.

Now to the Champs, because it is becoming a large event and this needs tighter organisation and will also inevitably cause time constraints. For whatever reason the start times on the Sunday are getting later and later and the field is also getting larger and larger meaning that the finish time is also getting later and later. Not a problem for some, but I don't want to see someone cleaned up as they travel home in the dark after two (possibly three for some) energy sapping days on the piss (even if you are not on the piss it's a tiring event). So i think it's encumbant upon all of us to finish up as soon as possible after the event, then it's up to individuals if we want to hang around or depart. The suggestions are as follows:

1. Appoint someone to manage the prizes prior to the event. This would alleviate the mad dash at the end to determine what goes to whom before the ceremony and potentially save some time. They would look at what has been donated via the thread and make up a list prior to the champs and then make last minute changes based on what actually turns up. I'm happy to do this, but I'm equally happy if we have a vote on someone if we go down this route.

2. Champs results don't count to POTY. Reasons as per previous suggestion above, but mainly because it will save some time.

3. Saturday daily prizes and events decided prior to Champs are given out on Saturday evening at the piss up. Once again to save some time, leaving Sunday for Sunday daily prizes and main events not previously decided. And also gives everyone added incentive to turn up on Saturday night for at least a short while and not swan off to threesomes and other less worthwhile distractions.

4. The score at the bottom (or top) of your card is the score that is entered, not hole by hole, we shouldn't have to account for your ****ups. This will save a heap of time on both Saturday and Sunday for the scorekeepers and the rest of us. The only scores which will be entered hole by hole will be for those with handicaps under 10, and by special request for others if you think you are in with a sniff, for the gross comp- this score will only count towards the gross comp, for fairness to the rest of the field the score at the bottom (or top) of your card will be the one which counts towards the other prizes.

These are my suggestions feel free to discuss them or make a few of your own.I'm not reading all that.

PeteyD
7th May 2010, 04:44 PM
Good points there Just. Some to think on coming into the champs. The scoreers at your club check every card to ensure the score is correct on Stab comps, and that adding is correct. This is why we do it on the computer (automates the stab scoring, and gets the latest handicap data which is sometimes different to what people put on their cards).

I agree with the Saturday prizes on saturday night. Particularly with the venue we have. We may need to look at charging for the room hire prior to the event as well. Save Shavey being out of pocket at the end of it all.

sms316
7th May 2010, 05:01 PM
I'm not reading all that.

Can someone translate Just's post into crayon for Mike?

just
7th May 2010, 05:08 PM
Yes, I had nothing to do with it. I took a step back from Champs organising after the first few years.

Just, there is a Champs Committee forum that I can give you access to if you are interested. We actually have discussed task allocation there in previous years, so it's not quite as chaotic in regards to who does what, as you think.
I'm not suggestings it's chaotic at all, you all do a fantastic job. I'm interested in helping out, as I'm sure others are, but I don't want to put noses out of joint by doing so. Like I said I'm happy to help out with the prizes, but I'm also happy to help out with the draw, with the scoring, even a small shitty job etc. What are the people who currently do it interested in letting others do?

Just, i only wanna turn up and play ... leaving the hard work of organising to others.

Is that OK ?
Sure, no problems! Except it was about a whole lot of other stuff as well, do have an opinions or suggestions?

I'm not reading all that.
I expect nothing less. I'll make sure I include diagrams next time!

Good points there Just. Some to think on coming into the champs. The scoreers at your club check every card to ensure the score is correct on Stab comps, and that adding is correct. This is why we do it on the computer (automates the stab scoring, and gets the latest handicap data which is sometimes different to what people put on their cards).

I agree with the Saturday prizes on saturday night. Particularly with the venue we have. We may need to look at charging for the room hire prior to the event as well. Save Shavey being out of pocket at the end of it all.
No criticism of the way you and Pete-rs do scoring, you do a fantastic job, I was just brainstorming ways of speeding the scoring up. Is there any other ways of speeding the scoring up at the end of the event?

sms316
7th May 2010, 05:12 PM
No criticism of the way you and Pete-rs do scoring, you do a fantastic job, I was just brainstorming ways of speeding the scoring up. Is there any other ways of speeding the scoring up at the end of the event?

Easy (although I could be simplifying things) - only check the good scores.

Moe Norman
7th May 2010, 05:36 PM
Prizes should be alloacated in advance for sure, there have been events in the past where players are invited to 'pick their prize'. As the winners are announced in reverse order, this often results in the actual winner, getting last choice of the pool!

Eag's
7th May 2010, 05:39 PM
I will put my hand up to help out as well, AP can you give me access to the Champs forum at some stage?
I am one of the few who have been to every Champs so it is about time I chipped in more.

Courty
7th May 2010, 05:48 PM
You make some good points there, just. But I disagree with making the POTY only count for Majors & Classics. What that would do is exclude many of the players in regional areas (which makes up a growing percentage of forum members) who can't attend these events regulalrly or at all. Those small but regular rounds might make extra work for someone (if it is an issue, we can sort something out), but they're the only chance many have to be a part of it.

+0.02

Choppa
7th May 2010, 07:57 PM
In case you missed it...

So is anyone going to be disappointed if the POTY disappears? I would be happy to take on the responsibility for this year if Pete is too busy and if Peter is happy for me to do it. Only if there is interest in keeping it going though. I think it would be a shame to lose it just because we were all to slack to give Pete a break when he's busy.

I for one would like to see it continue....even though I am never a chance :(

goughy
7th May 2010, 08:07 PM
Pete and Pete, what percentage of scorecards you received at last years champs had calculation errors? You'd think as fairly regular and serious golfer the percentage would be fairly low? Bet I'm wrong...

PeteyD
7th May 2010, 08:08 PM
I enjoy the POTY money race. I know Pete was looking at some fine tuning (including a change to the match play amounts etc). Pretty sure eh would be happy to let someone run with it.

Goughy - It is surprising just who gets it wrong, even adding up totalts etc. The way we do the scores now is just to put in whatever was entered as raw and let it add up. Check totals. I'd guess around 20-25% are wrong. Particularly on Sunday. Shaun raises a good point with the only check good ones comment. Although this means getting CCR etc is not as good. I suppose that is redundant now anyway. We also need to know who comes last.

Choppa
7th May 2010, 08:09 PM
I'll get all over it as soon as Pete gives me the go ahead.

henno
7th May 2010, 08:10 PM
I know that mine were wrong (stab score, not stroke score). I ripped myself off a shot or two.

AndyP
7th May 2010, 08:13 PM
If it's updated on a monthly basis, people remain interested.

When the handicap lists were posted for most improved, there was interest in that too. Unfortunately, it was also considered to be the controversial part of it.

Courty
7th May 2010, 08:29 PM
I love the POTY, even though I don't get the opportunity to play enough events to challenge. It'd be a crying shame if it were discontinued.

mike
7th May 2010, 08:36 PM
The POTY rewards quantity over quality.

Fire away.

markTHEblake
7th May 2010, 09:32 PM
The dickhead who started the POTY had no clue, and thats why other people took it over and made it better, but it does seem to be a bit time consuming and a nuisance at times - but hey, what isnt.

However the one thing that has held Ozgolf together and got all the great things happening was that all our event committees were only ever one person. That person just decided how to do it, announced it, and ran it the way they wanted to run it, and everyone was happy. That is how our first Champs started and look how that took off. The moment we decide to become a committee and a democracy the place will fall apart with infighting and arguments.

Choppa has said he will do it, so let him, and he gets to make the rules.

Lucasto23
7th May 2010, 09:42 PM
I agree with blakey!!! WTF

shavey
8th May 2010, 12:15 AM
We may need to look at charging for the room hire prior to the event as well. Save Shavey being out of pocket at the end of it all.

Already in place mate and included on this years accommodation booking form. Appreciate the thought though!

just
8th May 2010, 04:13 AM
The moment we decide to become a committee and a democracy the place will fall apart with infighting and arguments.
Like we don't now! Sure Blakey you can go too far with committees but at the same time some of these events aren't happening because we leave it up to one person and just assume that someone will pick it up. Two people running an event is hardly a committee, but don't let hyperbole get in the way of a good whinge.

What about all the other suggestions in there? Or are you all about just picking apart what others suggest? Everytime someone suggests something to do with Ozgolf events you come in and have a whinge about not changing anything and just staying the same. The forum has changed and the size of the Champs has changed if we keep running as we are, we won't be leaving the course before midnight on Sunday.

goughy
8th May 2010, 05:15 AM
The dickhead who started the POTY had no clue.

Didn't you take care of the POTY first year? ;)

AndyP
8th May 2010, 05:18 AM
What about all the other suggestions in there? Or are you all about just picking apart what others suggest? I didn't read it all. It's too hard reading long posts with this black background.

just
8th May 2010, 06:31 AM
I didn't read it all. It's too hard reading long posts with this black background.
Andy
I know you are trying to be ironic, but the situations are completely different but you do tend to take things personally so I shoudn't be surprised. I still don't like the sceme but you made it pretty clear that you don't have any time to do anything about it at the moment,so I'm not going to keep on about it! Anything constructive to add on topic?;)

Hux
8th May 2010, 06:34 AM
With regards to POTY.

I think if you limit it to major events it will probably disadvantage folks outside the SEQ area. 8 may be too many I and I think 2 is too few. Being more inclusive will guarantee more participation which I guess is one of Ozgolf benefits to the golfing community. A group of 4 is at least a full Ozgolf group not 2 blokes out for a bash.

To make the POTY easier for the "manager" to manage should it be required for a 1st Fee Event organiser to PM or email the manager with scores in a required format to ensure it can be quickly collated, rather than having to trawl through threads for scores?

henno
8th May 2010, 07:15 AM
To make the POTY easier for the "manager" to manage should it be required for a 1st Fee Event organiser to PM or email the manager with scores in a required format to ensure it can be quickly collated, rather than having to trawl through threads for scores?

Good idea.

Grunt
8th May 2010, 07:17 AM
Hux,

Have to agree with you in regards to POTY, but in all honesty no one outside QLD really has a chance in the POTY. Actually WA may come close.

For some reason we cant get the guys here in NSW to play away from their home course. A few do but that number is almost able to be counted on one hand.

Don't know how to fix it, I have tried many times to organise larger events in NSW. Even a NSW Champs series but that only lasted 2 rounds then faded out. Look how we struggle to get the NSW matchplay happening.

I could possibly run a NSW POTY but it would need some tweaking of the rules/conditions. With our games being one group most times it would have to have some.

Maybe we could use Pup to run it as he looks like he will have some free time soon ;)

Eag's
8th May 2010, 07:18 AM
With regards to POTY.

I think if you limit it to major events it will probably disadvantage folks outside the SEQ area. 8 may be too many I and I think 2 is too few. Being more inclusive will guarantee more participation which I guess is one of Ozgolf benefits to the golfing community. A group of 4 is at least a full Ozgolf group not 2 blokes out for a bash.

Hey I like this idea Hux :smt023
I agree we should leave the qualifying number of players as four, this gives the NQ, WA & more recently the SA guys a chance to be part of it.

Grunt
8th May 2010, 07:25 AM
How about we allocate a person in each region to manage the POTY for games played in their region. That person could forward the results in a set format to the National POTY manager. It would mean that the person doing the national part only needs to enter results.

National Manager
SE QLD
NQ
Vic
NSW/ACT
SA
WA
Tas

What does everyone think?

Choppa
8th May 2010, 10:33 AM
Ok to save any confusion I now have the POTY for 2010. The POTY, the whole POTY and nothing but the POTY.
I will fire this up this week.

I will consider all suggestions in this thread, by PM and otherwise and I will be getting heaps of advice from Pete. And when it's all said and done I will decide the rules and post em up.

Decision made, now feel free to provide your advice. Apologies in advance if I upset you by ignoring it ;)

Gimme 7 days and we will be all go!

P.S. The new Tapatalk update for the iPhone is heaps better!

AndyP
8th May 2010, 07:50 PM
Anything constructive to add on topic?;)Not really. I stopped caring some time ago. Go with the flow, man.

peter_rs
22nd August 2010, 07:41 PM
Scoring is an issue.

The scores don't take that long and we are getting better at it.

Maybe we could do everyones scores on sat and then sort the Sunday scores so only the best cards have to be done on sunday. CCR is a bit of fun and could be done post.

The spreadsheet is done this year (based on last year) and the auto check of all hcp's is working this year.

PS I promise to having a working PC this year.... That was the biggest issue last year.

AndyP
22nd August 2010, 07:46 PM
POTY entry is easy now too, thanks to Chopchops super-dooper database.

sms316
22nd August 2010, 07:55 PM
Scoring is an issue.

Maybe we could do everyones scores on sat and then sort the Sunday scores so only the best cards have to be done on sunday. CCR is a bit of fun and could be done post.

The spreadsheet is done this year (based on last year) and the auto check of all hcp's is working this year.

PS I promise to having a working PC this year.... That was the biggest issue last year.

Scoring is easy - if you start soon after the first group or two finish.

CCR is obsolete, isn't it?

markTHEblake
22nd August 2010, 08:01 PM

We could input all our scores online in real time using our phones?

Probably we are not quite ready for that but in a couple of years there will not be many people around who do not regularly use the internet on their phones, and it wouldnt be hard to create the system to collate the scores, just a simple web form.

AndyP
13th October 2010, 03:37 PM
I thought that having just over 40 players (less than last year) after having 64 on the list at one stage, was very disappointing. The fact that we had a cap on players running into reserves would have discouraged those not on the list from making any commitment to coming.

As I discussed with a few on the weekend, I believe that you should only be locked into the confirmed list of player after making more of a commitment, not just saying that you are interested. One way of doing this is to take money deposits. I'm sure the list won't fill up as fast this way, effectively blocking people out, especially travelers. There also won't be as many dropouts at the end.

On another note, the POTY will be restructured to be similar to tennis rankings. That is, it only takes your best x results during the year. x is yet to be determined, and may take some experimentation. Chops will also need to organise the changes to the database before it can go ahead.

PeteyD
13th October 2010, 03:45 PM
Yes numbers were disappointing. There was talk to have golf fees prepaid to attend, which may be the best way to go.

just
13th October 2010, 03:45 PM
Andy
The POTY suggestion is good.

On the deposits thing what allowance would there be for medical issues etc and getting your deposit back or is it forfeit into a pool for the event. Essentially I have no problem with a deposit being forfeit but it may be an issue depending on size of deposit and notification periods. And before anyone arcs up I offered to pay for accommodation and room hire etc even though I couldn't make it this year.

PeteyD
13th October 2010, 03:47 PM
I agree Just. Someone in you situation should be able to get money back. I think the idea is to stop people just saying Yea I'll come without really thinking about it and filling up positions.

just
13th October 2010, 03:51 PM
While I do see that getting less numbers than those who committed is a little disappointing, I think some of that can be managed by capping the numbers at a manageable level, say 50. Anyone who is in the first 50 has peer pressure to turn up because they may have bumped someone off the list. I also think if you are going to have late Sunday start times and big fields you are going to drive participants away, locals and interstate, because you are asking people to commit to something bigger than just a weekend.

AndyP
13th October 2010, 03:57 PM
The suggestion would be to have the fee forfeit, if there is a withdrawal. I don't know what the right amount would be for this.

sms316
13th October 2010, 04:14 PM
If everyone who forfeited this year lost a deposit of $30 we could have had $600 on the bar.

So about 50 bourbon and cokes.
Or about 40 toasted sandwiches.
Or a stripper standing behind the 9th green on day one with the peanut gallery.

Choppa
13th October 2010, 04:16 PM
I wouldn't mind throwing in $20 non refundable deposit and having this money go towards purchasing prizes for the champs. A comp fee.
I love the prize donations and really appreciate them, but this might make the organization of the prizes a whole lot easier and they can be purchased and allocated in advance.

AndyP
13th October 2010, 04:16 PM
Well, when you put it that way, sms, make it $60.

AndyP
13th October 2010, 04:18 PM
I wouldn't mind throwing in $20 non refundable deposit and having this money go towards purchasing prizes for the champs. A comp fee.
I love the prize donations and really appreciate them, but this might make the organization of he prizes a while lot easier and they can be purchased and allocated in advance.
I knew I had made another suggestion on the weekend, but it wouldn't come to me when making my first post. The above is it. A comp fee to go towards some prizes, particularly for the Champ.

The combination of the deposit/comp fee could work.

Choppa
13th October 2010, 04:22 PM
Good suggestion Andy. I agree with you, let's go with that.

AndyP
13th October 2010, 04:23 PM
+1

BrisVegas
13th October 2010, 04:34 PM
I like the idea of a comp fee. I've suggested in the past that a prize pool was easier to manage than 40-50 donated items.

AndyP
13th October 2010, 04:38 PM
I wouldn't have a flog sock, if it wasn't for donated items.

Grunt
13th October 2010, 05:03 PM
The fee would be fine for qld'er as the committal to coming is not as large as an interstater.

Lots to think off
Travel costs & bookings
Leave (school holidays meant no chance for me this year)
Travel times, an extra day either side of the champs and that also has a bearing if you are going for the Friday & Monday games.

Just my thoughts. I had the OK to come this year, (leave was rejected from work) but if I did a lot of grief would have been a result of Tayla having to stay with grandparents while I went away.

henno
13th October 2010, 05:05 PM
I wouldn't have a flog sock

I'm sorry I couldn't attend this year.

AndyP
13th October 2010, 05:13 PM
Grunt, a fee is nothing on top of the things you mentioned. Once you have paid for airfares, I'm sure a comp fee won't hurt on top of that. That's the whole point of the fee.

Grunt
13th October 2010, 05:22 PM
I realise that I mean a pre booking fee. It is hard to know your leave for instance until maybe 3 months out

mike
13th October 2010, 05:50 PM
I think some of that can be managed by capping the numbers at a manageable level, say 50.
50? How about a number divisible by 4?

henno
13th October 2010, 06:01 PM

One billion players!

http://imgur.com/yisxH.jpg

AndyP
13th October 2010, 06:04 PM
I realise that I mean a pre booking fee. It is hard to know your leave for instance until maybe 3 months out
I still don't understand how this is a problem. Just pay the fee when you know you can make it.

Maybes should not be getting preference over definites when we have a limit on players.

just
13th October 2010, 06:05 PM
You're so conventional.

Grunt
13th October 2010, 06:18 PM
I still don't understand how this is a problem. Just pay the fee when you know you can make it.

Maybes should not be getting preference over definites when we have a limit on players.

I thought there would be no such thing as maybes.

markTHEblake
13th October 2010, 06:52 PM
I have been in favour of up front money and a ozgolf comp fee since Adam was a boy, so just tell me the bank account where to pay it.

I'd suggest make it big enough to reinforce the commitment but small enough so that people will actually pay it, instead of holding back. I think $20 would be the right amount. That will stop people putting their names down willy nilly and then forgetting about it

AndyP
13th October 2010, 07:03 PM
I thought there would be no such thing as maybes.Aren't you a maybe? Maybes would run the risk of having their spot taken by a definite. The closer the event gets, the more definites. It would be Shavey's (or whoever books) call as to when the maybes would have to make a decision.

We can't expect everyone to commit 9 months or so out.

Grunt
13th October 2010, 07:17 PM
Yes I was this year, and will possibly be from now on. I just thought you were trying to only have a list of definites from now on. To try and give it a more definite list, as you had 60+ this year but dropped down to under 50 by the time everything came around.

PeteyD
13th October 2010, 07:21 PM
The fee would be fine for qld'er as the committal to coming is not as large as an interstater.

Lots to think off
Travel costs & bookings
Leave (school holidays meant no chance for me this year)
Travel times, an extra day either side of the champs and that also has a bearing if you are going for the Friday & Monday games.

Just my thoughts. I had the OK to come this year, (leave was rejected from work) but if I did a lot of grief would have been a result of Tayla having to stay with grandparents while I went away.

Not a lot different to most of us Grunt, except for the airfare in and out of Brisbane. Different if you road trip it of course.

The fee is to be put towards procuring decent prizes, and the little costs that many of us have been absorbing so far (Lanyards and name tags etc etc).

Bruce
13th October 2010, 07:39 PM
No buy ins for poker games.
If you lose all your chips (coins) then that is the end of the game for you.

markTHEblake
13th October 2010, 07:40 PM
The bigger drama with late cancellations is if we book 48 tee slots and only 44 turn up, the club has the right to charge us for those 4 spots. a deposit would help fund that.

dc68
13th October 2010, 08:37 PM
If we were charged a fee for late cancellations it would be paid for by the person who
pulls out.

Choppa
13th October 2010, 09:32 PM
Compulsory coin against the wall participation.

shavey
13th October 2010, 11:07 PM
One thing that has been overlooked here people is that the player cap was put in place due to the allowances provided by the club, working around their club fixtures or what would have been on any other normal weekend. I was constantly updating and culling names from the list so I really don't think this was a major contributor to pullouts. The date clash with holidays seems to have been the major issue at hand.

The only reason we have got around the full prepayment of green fess has been due to my relationship with the course, both at Pelican and Palmy. Any club who values their tee times would expect full prepayment at least a month out. And you'd also have to pay for no shows, something we've managed to get away thus far. These are just a few more of the issues facing a change of venues.

To those that were there Sunday night, I upgraded to a two bedroom apartment which easily accommodated 16 people. We get a few of these and we won't need a function room (no pool table though), cook our own food and drink at our leisure without paying through the nose. The groups however will be split up but this is another option to consider if Pelican is still an option in 2011.

markTHEblake
13th October 2010, 11:24 PM
I upgraded to a two bedroom apartment which easily accommodated 16 people. We get a few of these and we won't need a function room (no pool table though),

now that would make it hard for someone to get an early night ! I guess NK would retain the blueballs trophy in perpetuity then.

goughy
14th October 2010, 07:15 AM
Are those apartments in the same vicinity, say next to each other for example?

Eag's
14th October 2010, 11:16 AM
How about we scrap the prize donations for next years Champs? I think it would be a much better option if everyone put in an extra $5-$10
and we organised pro shop, golf shop or vouchers for what ever we like?
It is a real pain in the butt trying to allocate prizes for winners, when half of what you were expecting doesn't show up.
It will mean less hassle for everyone involved, plus people will pick up decent prizes, thoughts?

BrisVegas
14th October 2010, 11:18 AM
yeah good thinking eagsy. The $20 comp fee that was talked about elsewhere would cover that I reckon.

just
14th October 2010, 11:19 AM
I agree Eagsy. Great way to go.

PeteyD
14th October 2010, 11:27 AM
There was much talk along these lines at the champs. The good thing about prize donations is that you get some great things and some funny things. I think I'd miss some of that aspect.

If we go down the cash route, do we get vouchers from GW, award cash or something else??

sms316
14th October 2010, 11:36 AM
There was much talk along these lines at the champs. The good thing about prize donations is that you get some great things and some funny things. I think I'd miss some of that aspect.
How about more prizes for the first day, and then give donated prizes for day one and cash/vouchers for day two?

A lot of those donated prizes are grog, which would no doubt be used on Saturday night, and it would no doubt make day two presentations much more simple.

If we go down the cash route, do we get vouchers from GW, award cash or something else??
Adultworld. No doubt Solarman has done more drilling with his blow up doll than a Chilean rescue crew.

PeteyD
14th October 2010, 11:42 AM
I like yer thinking SMS. Well at least the first part about donated prizes.

AndyP
14th October 2010, 11:50 AM
I prefer having some donated prizes.

sms316
14th October 2010, 11:51 AM
As if you are going to win anything.

goughy
14th October 2010, 12:42 PM
I think a combination of both. Use donations for the ntp's, long drives etc. I hate to say it G69, but maybe the money that everyone is putting in the punt on day be collected as part of the pre-payment and used towards prizes. I'm not knocking the punt, but the fact is it's just gonna end up on the bar anyway; we all know that. So the day one punt is just a bar tab. We know it's gonna happen. So how about collecting it earlier and organising prizes out of it?

Eag's
14th October 2010, 01:14 PM
Speaking to quite a few of the guys, the idea of vouchers seemed to be popular. I agree ,we can still have donated prizes, but not as many as the previous years.
I would have no problem organising vouchers for next years Champs.

markTHEblake
14th October 2010, 07:46 PM
How about we scrap the prize donations for next years Champs? I think it would be a much better option if everyone put in an extra $5-$10
and we organised pro shop, golf shop or vouchers for what ever we like?

a tenner should be compulsory for every Ozgolf day (or five). Dunno about vouchers though, its a pain if you have to travel to collect on them, just pay in Cash! The cash can also be used to pay for the obligatory stuff like trophy shirts and hats etc as well.

Dont have to ditch all the prizes though, some of the prizes are great concepts, but the line should be drawn at donating old crap people dont want. Stuff like that just gets recycled to the next one. If someone donates something really decent, just don't charge them the $10. Then everyone that plays has put something in.

I think we talked about a deposit before? call it a deposit, call it a comp fee, doesnt really matter does it, just collect it.

Hux
14th October 2010, 08:09 PM
I'm more than happy to ditch the punt.
$100 doesn't go far over the bar at Crown...and its a bit of aggro chasing the coin.

Aggro....come on you loved it. And we loved it. Dicky hassling you for your coin its great :-)

A lot fo really great suggestions here.

I agree that if we having an Ozgolf Classic or major then an entry fee of $10 on top should be awarded and then dished out.

For NTP's etc would we not be better off using the coin from the entry to buy some decent balls etc to award.

I doubt too many folks here would complain if they got a sleeve or two of premium balls for a NTP or approach shot. And if we have money up front then the balls can be purchased at a good rate along the way.

In the end the Ozgolf banner is what we play for...the bragging rights of taking one out against some of Australia's worst golfers with the best gear under the most testing of conditions :-)

The rest is not a big issue.

just
14th October 2010, 09:29 PM
a tenner should be compulsory for every Ozgolf day (or five).

I agree that if we having an Ozgolf Classic or major then an entry fee of $10 on top should be awarded and then dished out.
It's one thing for the Champs, but now we are just drifting into the realms of <pick you own term of abuse> again. Haven't we dealt with this issue endlessly. It's not on.

markTHEblake
14th October 2010, 09:31 PM
Why? every other group of golfers gets together has a comp fee and actually plays for something. Its rather silly that we dont.

just
14th October 2010, 09:37 PM
Why? You can have a punt and it should be voluntary. Most of the events we play in are comps anyway. If you are suggesting something for the social games then we should start a system of social handicaps, if you look at it logically it's silly if we don't. Piss your money away in whatever fashion you feel is satisfactory, don't force it on others.

markTHEblake
14th October 2010, 10:47 PM
Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?

Hux
14th October 2010, 10:56 PM
Why? You can have a punt and it should be voluntary. .

Hear that Dicky? Apparently that punt of yours was voluntary :-)

And Just.....your selective quoting is well.....selective. One may almost think it done deliberately to be contrary!

Try this
In the end the Ozgolf banner is what we play for...the bragging rights of taking one out against some of Australia's worst golfers with the best gear under the most testing of conditions :smile:

BrisWesty
14th October 2010, 11:18 PM
BETTER WEATHER! Bunkers that don't have fish in them ;-)

just
15th October 2010, 06:34 AM
Hear that Dicky? Apparently that punt of yours was voluntary :-)

And Just.....your selective quoting is well.....selective. One may almost think it done deliberately to be contrary!

Try this
In the end the Ozgolf banner is what we play for...the bragging rights of taking one out against some of Australia's worst golfers with the best gear under the most testing of conditions :smile:

I wasn't trying to stitch you up, just addresseing the bit that concerned me. But your highlighted bit just emphasises the point, why do we need prizes, the titles/bragging rights are fine. If you want something more enter the punt. If it's not a comp event, like the Ozgolf Masters, the the organiser can decide upfront if he/she wants to charge a dollar amount for prizes and then everyone can decide beforehand whether they want to pay and play.

LarryLong
15th October 2010, 07:39 AM
I'm with Just on this one. I don't see the point of comp fees and prizes. I'd be more than happy to play for bragging rights on any given day, regardless of the event.

Ferrins
15th October 2010, 07:54 AM
The field at Pelican was to comprise 60 players yet only 40 odd turned up. So I don't understand how a $20 comp fee will increase numbers for next year.

BrisVegas
15th October 2010, 08:51 AM
I think the champs 'comp fee' idea could do with a poll.

I'm all for it. Seems like a few are against. Every other social golf group I've ever played in has added a comp fee on top of the green fees to cover prizes (vouchers usually) and I think that's worked great. That group that golfnugget runs do it for every event. I don' t think we need to go to that extent, but for our flagship event, I think it's appropriate.

Daves
15th October 2010, 09:12 AM
Champs yep, Matchplay probably, at least till we have Perpetual Trophies in place , Majors maybe, others no.

PeteyD
15th October 2010, 09:19 AM
Leave majors as they are, optional $10 punt. We are in a comp on those anyway.

haysey
15th October 2010, 09:20 AM
Yep for the champs.

just
15th October 2010, 11:24 AM
I think the champs 'comp fee' idea could do with a poll.

I'm all for it. Seems like a few are against. Every other social golf group I've ever played in has added a comp fee on top of the green fees to cover prizes (vouchers usually) and I think that's worked great. That group that golfnugget runs do it for every event. I don' t think we need to go to that extent, but for our flagship event, I think it's appropriate.
Agree totally for the champs.

sms316
15th October 2010, 12:43 PM
FWIW I think we should pay a nominal entry fee for events that aren't run by the clubs (Champs/Matchplay/Masters) and then optional punt for every event. Prizes for the club events are there anyway if you play well enough and the punt just goes to drinks anyway.

henno
15th October 2010, 12:56 PM
I'm with Mudguts.

sms316
15th October 2010, 12:59 PM
I'm with Mudguts.

That's because I am the voice of common sense.

just
15th October 2010, 01:01 PM
FWIW I think we should pay a nominal entry fee for events that aren't run by the clubs (Champs/Matchplay/Masters) and then optional punt for every event. Prizes for the club events are there anyway if you play well enough and the punt just goes to drinks anyway.

I'm with Mudguts.

That's because I am the voice of common sense.

You mean you're with me because that's exactly what I had in post #185

sms316
15th October 2010, 01:02 PM
Then why are you bitching about the matchplay?

henno
15th October 2010, 01:03 PM
You mean you're with me because that's exactly what I had in post #185

I was simply waiting for someone else to suggest it. I can't start agreeing with you now, just; the universe might collapse on itself.

just
15th October 2010, 01:09 PM
Because AndyP hasn't decided up front what he wants to do. As long its stated up front it's not a problem. But the issue of reducing participation by charging prizes still stands. It just means you, and anyone like you, who insists on prizes is a hypocrite. If I don't object your little clique will possibly reduce the participation in Ozgolf events.

I was simply waiting for someone else to suggest it. I can't start agreeing with you now, just; the universe might collapse on itself.
I love whales.

sms316
15th October 2010, 01:13 PM
If I don't object your little clique will possibly reduce the participation in Ozgolf events.

Huh? No clique here.

As for being a hypocrite, well I like catching up with mates and I like playing competitively. If that makes me a hypocrite then so be it.

AndyP
15th October 2010, 01:15 PM
It's a discussion thread. There's no rush to make a decision on a matchplay comp fee.

just
15th October 2010, 01:17 PM

Huh? No clique here.

As for being a hypocrite, well I like catching up with mates and I like playing competitively. If that makes me a hypocrite then so be it.
Well then, you don't need a prize to do it. The title and bragging rights are enough.

sms316
15th October 2010, 01:21 PM
Nah. Prizes are cool. Especially ones the wife can use.

PeteyD
15th October 2010, 01:36 PM
I love whales.

Especially with chilli soy.

Choppa
15th October 2010, 01:54 PM
Maybe we could have a fee per post. 10 cents be enough?

just
15th October 2010, 01:56 PM
Jarro, Yossarian and AndyP couldn't afford it.

Choppa
15th October 2010, 01:57 PM
P can afford anything now.

AndyP
15th October 2010, 02:01 PM
I get credit for admin posts.

Eag's
15th October 2010, 02:32 PM
The idea was discussed for the Champs only, no other event needs to be changed.
Before this turns into another shit fight, how about we put up a poll and see if punters would be happy with throwing in a bit more money?
It could then be used to purchase cash, decent golf prizes or quality booze etc...?

jaybam
15th October 2010, 02:48 PM
I am happy to put in the money but will have to refuse if it is to be spent on grog

markTHEblake
15th October 2010, 10:10 PM
As long its stated up front it's not a problem
That is the problem, because the details are rarely stated up front.

But the issue of reducing participation by charging prizes still stands.
I wouldn't think that anyone would decline to play solely because of an extra $5 or $10.

I am happy to put in the money but will have to refuse if it is to be spent on grog
That is one of the reasons why several ozgolfers do not participate.

jaybam
15th October 2010, 10:14 PM
no problem with the punt money being put on the bar but if we are putting money up for prizes into a different pool i have no problem with that either unless it is to be spent on grog. What if shock horror i actually managed to win one of these things and got awarded grog. Would be pretty poor form.
Just my opinion.

timah!
15th October 2010, 10:23 PM

Agreed, grog as a prize is pointless. As much as we 'hate' paying retail, vouchers for drummonds etc would be better. Embroidered OzGolf shirts etc. We talk of the champs being THE OzGolf event, so why not match it with the best prizes.

markTHEblake
15th October 2010, 10:51 PM
no problem with the punt money being put on the bar .

oh, i thought that is what you didnt like. Anyways a few people don't like that idea either, thats why they don't go in it.

Eag's
15th October 2010, 11:56 PM
First of all grog was only used as an example, if people object to grog as a prize, then of course we will use something else.
The whole purpose of starting this debate was to gauge interest. From what I have read so far, most people seem happy about the idea of vouchers or cash as prizes. I am only talking about the Oz Golf Champs at this point because it is a logistical nightmare to try and organise, let me assure you.

A perpetual trophy like we already have in place for the Champs could also be used for events like the match play & POTY etc...?

PeteyD
16th October 2010, 05:13 AM
I am really liking the idea of personalised embroidered shirts.

Jarro
16th October 2010, 06:53 AM

Yeah me too 8)

As for putting in extra $$$$ for some decent prizes, i reckon it's a good idea :)

AndyP
16th October 2010, 07:16 AM
You wouldn't be able to get them until after the events had been won, due to not knowing the size or sex of the winner.

PeteyD
16th October 2010, 07:16 AM
Yes I know that.

timah!
16th October 2010, 12:16 PM
You wouldn't be able to get them until after the events had been won, due to not knowing the size or sex of the winner.

You could do caps, or golf towels, or iron covers :D

sms316
16th October 2010, 07:11 PM
What can we do differently next year to make it even better? What didn't work this year?

I think we could work on heaping more shit on Solarman.

markTHEblake
16th October 2010, 07:49 PM

Thats true, except for the NAGA

Eag's
21st October 2011, 06:46 PM
Just an idea I was discussing with a few Oz Golfers at Northlakes. There has been all kinds of debate about how the Champs draw is done and by who.
As the winner of the Champs, that winner then has the option to do the draw for the following years Champs.
It's kind of like how the winner of the Masters gets to choose what meal everyone will eat as the defending champion, thoughts people?

mike
22nd October 2011, 02:30 PM
None of my business but isn't it a random draw anyway?

shavey
22nd October 2011, 02:58 PM
Just an idea I was discussing with a few Oz Golfers at Northlakes. There has been all kinds of debate about how the Champs draw is done and by who.
As the winner of the Champs, that winner then has the option to do the draw for the following years Champs.
It's kind of like how the winner of the Masters gets to choose what meal everyone will eat as the defending champion, thoughts people?

Mike, this year NK and I coordinated the draws for Friday and Saturday to ensure there weren't the usual suspects playing together, by that I mean the regular ozgolfers.

For somebody who is lucky to play 10 ozgolf rounds per year, I really enjoy the opportunity to meet new people and felt this was successful. I understand the reasoning behind a seeded draw for Sunday but perhaps this is opened up for discussion??

I believe that if we want to continue growing this event we need to encourage the newbies to play with the old hands and not all heaped together.

mike
22nd October 2011, 03:07 PM
Fair enough.

Cosmopolite
22nd October 2011, 03:26 PM
I was happy with the way the draws were done.......

I thought the seeded draw on Sunday was a good idea.

Eag's
22nd October 2011, 03:36 PM
The draw will still be random, but it can't hurt to give other people a crack at doing the draw. Only an idea to mix things up a bit.
The Sun draw should always be seeded.

sms316
22nd October 2011, 03:38 PM
Past random draws were always done in a way to spread the locals out anyway. Like your idea Eag's.

BroKar
22nd October 2011, 04:00 PM
Draws are fine, no need to change I don't think

just
22nd October 2011, 04:02 PM
Yep random draw done by PeteyD are fine.

just
22nd October 2011, 09:04 PM
There's your first mistake, that stuff from domino's is not pizza, it's pizza substitute. Only okay for consumption with alcohol.

PeteyD
23rd October 2011, 05:49 AM
I should back doing the draw on Friday night again. It is a lot of fun, and I will get some bikini girls to do it one year!

Only reason NK picked it up this year was that I wasn't going to the champs until a week before.