PDA

View Full Version : Preferred lie ruling on Sunday????

shazza_rs
19th November 2007, 08:36 PM
So, after talking to a few of the guys since the champs, who actually knew that is was preferred lie on Sunday?????

Vote yes/no in the poll...

And who do i have to give a good flogging to for not telling me???:smt013

AndyP
19th November 2007, 08:37 PM
Youu need a poll, Shaz.

And yes I knew, and I asked the person who told me whether everyone knew.

I was concerned on the Saturday that people were using it, when I was told we weren't.

markTHEblake
19th November 2007, 08:38 PM
Yes (i cant find the poll).

I aint mentioning any names but I last saw him with wheelbarrow full of hats in the carpark.

Point of order for next year, someone to organise the Local Rules. I asked the Pro if there was any and he said none, yet the Halfway house had a whole A4 page full of them.

Eag's
19th November 2007, 08:39 PM
Nope, had no idea :?

just
19th November 2007, 08:39 PM
what poll?

Jarro
19th November 2007, 08:42 PM
I never knew about it, and i have to say, it would've helped me out ... HEAPS !!!!!!!!!!

BrisVegas
19th November 2007, 08:46 PM
It was on the local rules board that relief could be taken from bare patches and ant mounds. I took the advice of peteyd, dc68 etc that we should play it down on Saturday. Those same folks and others agreed that it was a silly idea and that Sunday should be preferred lie through the green.

shazza_rs
19th November 2007, 08:47 PM
Well it was nice of you guys to inform everyone.... i don't think it was ever really set in stone... a few thought it was a good idea and decided to go with it...

shazza_rs
19th November 2007, 09:00 PM
there was enough people in the gallery when we were teeing off including those in the know and there was not a mention of it....

I'm not saying it was done on purpose i'm just bringing it up so it doesn't happen next year.

PeteyD
19th November 2007, 09:04 PM
Yea it was supposed to be passed down to each group. Obviously some peoples didn't pass it on. Definately a little noticeboard or something for next year needs to be sorted.

just
19th November 2007, 09:06 PM
Would it really have made that much of a difference? If it does I need to use a more liberal interpretation of the rule

AndyP
19th November 2007, 09:07 PM
Probably not that much on the fairway, but in the rough it can.

shazza_rs
19th November 2007, 09:11 PM
For me it would just. I don't actually 'hit down' on the ball and take a divot, I'm more of a 'sweeper'. I couldn't hit a decent fairway wood over the two days from the fairway.

I found myself hitting a lot of punch 4 irons and my ping hybrid for my second shots in, which meant i was leaving almost everything short on most holes and hoping my short game was good enough to score some points.

It took me 11 holes to get even close to a GIR.

just
19th November 2007, 09:13 PM
I see

Flowergirl
19th November 2007, 09:34 PM
For me it would just. I don't actually 'hit down' on the ball and take a divot, I'm more of a 'sweeper'. I couldn't hit a decent fairway wood over the two days from the fairway.

I found myself hitting a lot of punch 4 irons and my ping hybrid for my second shots in, which meant i was leaving almost everything short on most holes and hoping my short game was good enough to score some points.

It took me 11 holes to get even close to a GIR.

Shazza - I'm gald that you said you couldn't hit a fairway wood - cos I couldn't either and usually it's my better shot.

I thought the preferred lies was a bit dodgy too. Especially from the rough and in trees etc. Should only be on the fairway if at all. Not in the spirit of the game.

AndyP
19th November 2007, 09:35 PM
I thought the preferred lies was a bit dodgy too. Especially from the rough and in trees etc. Should only be on the fairway if at all. Not in the spirit of the game."Through the green" is the more common ruling, and what the club was using, so why wouldn't we?

Flowergirl
19th November 2007, 09:43 PM
"Through the green" is the more common ruling, and what the club was using, so why wouldn't we?

Still don't think if you are in a bush that you should get relief and that the ball can be always placed on a perfect lie. As I said I don't think it's in the spirit of the game. I know it's in the rules but it still feels dirty.

peter_rs
19th November 2007, 09:48 PM
"Through the green" is the more common ruling, and what the club was using, so why wouldn't we?

What part of my quote in the BBQ thread

KV is off preferred lie :)
means they were still using preferred lie? There were local rules regarding bare patches and ant hills not preferred lie through the green. This is what the pro shop told me over the phone.

BrisVegas
19th November 2007, 09:49 PM
it really came down to luck. I got a few shocking lies on Saturday when we played it down. then on Sunday, I managed to avoid the divots, bare patches and ant mounds for the most part. But then I saw poidda's ball come to rest in some divots and ugly lies that he was very grateful to get relief from. The only time I made a real effort to move my ball onto a better lie was on the 13th when I attempted to sweep a 3wood off the grass to get home in two. Needless to say I stuffed it up and hit it in the pond.

markTHEblake
19th November 2007, 10:07 PM
There were local rules regarding bare patches and ant hills not preferred lie through the green. This is what the pro shop told me over the phone.

The Local rules notice i saw was very old. Preferred Lie is a temporary rule, you would never find it written up amongst the usual local rules. Funny that the Pro didnt know about this, he told me no local rules at all.

For next year its no big deal, we will be better prepared to find out what they are.

Courty
19th November 2007, 10:24 PM
I say if it's good enough for the member's comp, it's good enough for us.

shazza_rs
19th November 2007, 10:25 PM
the members weren't using preferred lie... see post 21

Courty
19th November 2007, 10:27 PM
Oops. Caught me out not reading the entire thread again. :oops:

That said, I reckon it should have been preferred lies anyway.

Flowergirl
19th November 2007, 10:31 PM
Oops. Caught me out not reading the entire thread again. :oops:

That said, I reckon it should have been preferred lies anyway.
Man up ladybug.;)

scarfie1
19th November 2007, 10:43 PM
I was in a big fat divot that someone hadn't repaired in the middle of the fairway. Preferred lie would have helped. Anyway it should definately only be used on the fairway, no one can expect a good lie in the rough, you get what you get.

Toolish
20th November 2007, 07:37 AM
I wasn't there but wait until you play optional tee up through the green...nothing like teeing up a driver in the rough to get home in 2 to really make you feel dirty!

poidda
20th November 2007, 09:41 AM
I thought the course was much easier without prefered lie on the Saturday. :roll:

markTHEblake
20th November 2007, 09:44 AM
Poidda, was that anything to do with getting headspins everytime you used the preferred lie option?

poidda
20th November 2007, 10:59 AM
Just out of interest, does this really matter? Was there anyone in contention (ie the last 3-4 groups) that didn't play prefered lie on the Sunday?

markTHEblake
20th November 2007, 11:08 AM
Is it appropriate to discuss Choppa in the Preferred Lie thread....

I guess so.

AndyP
20th November 2007, 11:18 AM
I think the issue is dead.
Shoulda made a formal announcement...but no idea when that could have been done.Door knocking at 5:30am would have been the best way.

markTHEblake
20th November 2007, 11:26 AM
What about lots of Black Texta, shaving cream and the good old hand in a bucket of warm water.

peter_rs
20th November 2007, 01:18 PM
a note on every cart...... the person seeing groups of on sunday.

990B Luva
26th November 2007, 04:31 PM
no one in the 1st group on sunday knew if the preferred lie was on or not, still u guys have no excuse, i had 79 with out them

peter_rs
26th November 2007, 04:33 PM
not helping the case that you wanted to play of 13...

BrisVegas
26th November 2007, 04:45 PM
not helping the case that you wanted to play of 13...

why's that? An 11 marker had 76 on Saturday. ;)

dc68
26th November 2007, 04:58 PM
Is this over yet?.....

AndyP
26th November 2007, 05:04 PM
Do we need a new Champs controversy? I can start one, if you want.

dc68
26th November 2007, 05:27 PM
Do it!!!!... Might as well have another thing to whinge about.

:roll:

Jarro
26th November 2007, 05:46 PM
rematch

AndyP
26th November 2007, 06:22 PM
Do it!!!!... Might as well have another thing to whinge about.
We had a "13 marker" who "hadn't played in over a year" shoot 79. Who "marked" their card?

goughy
26th November 2007, 06:27 PM
But what did he shoot the day before!

AndyP
26th November 2007, 06:31 PM
A lot worse.

markTHEblake
26th November 2007, 10:21 PM
We had a "13 marker" who "hadn't played in over a year" shoot 79. Who "marked" their card?

what about the bloke who had 25 odd .1's in a row leading up to the champs?

goughy
27th November 2007, 06:35 AM
Was that me? It took me like 3 years to get those .1's!

BrisVegas
27th November 2007, 02:56 PM
what about the bloke who had 25 odd .1's in a row leading up to the champs?

who are you talking about?

peter_rs
27th November 2007, 03:16 PM
not me just checked it was only 6 rounds since I last went the right way. But I did go out 2.4 in a year :) I could be off 19 this time next year :(

BrisVegas
27th November 2007, 04:00 PM
it was me he was having a go at. :roll:

that's the story of my golf for the past couple of years... 20 bad ones, then lights out for 1-2 rounds, then 20 bad ones again... etc etc... I had a purple patch back in Feb/Mar that got me down to 5 but it's been steady 0.1's since then as I couldn't repeat it. i don't feel like i deserve to be off 8, but I can't even play to that at my home track.

BrisWesty
27th November 2007, 04:19 PM
Thought the preferred lies had to do with Kevin Rudd over John Howard. (Or was that preferred liars?)

markTHEblake
27th November 2007, 04:20 PM
BV, So right now would be a great time to play you for money ? :-)

BrisVegas
27th November 2007, 04:26 PM
sounds great blakey. anywhere but emmy lakes and nudgee south.

markTHEblake
27th November 2007, 04:41 PM
Tallai Par 3?

Jarro
27th November 2007, 06:07 PM
sounds great blakey. anywhere but emmy lakes and nudgee south.

He'd be no good at Nudgee South now, the greens have come good again

markTHEblake
27th November 2007, 06:24 PM
nah - I can putt on normal greens again now. Took me a while but I broke 35/36 putts for the first time since about that Nudgee round on the weekend.