PDA

View Full Version : 2007 Champs - The Wrap Up!!

goughy
18th November 2007, 08:25 PM
Thought I'd start this one separately. Why not.

Robyn, Leah and I had a ball this weekend. Rob really enjoyed riding around the groups today with Leah and taking shots on the course. Should be more photo's than we know what to do with. Leah hit the sack last night whenever it was that we surrendered and spent the first 10 minutes in bed breaking out in fits of laughter! I think they're both interested in coming again next year, which I'm stoked about of course ;)

I can't even put my thoughts into some sort of cohesive form atm. I'm stuffed and jazzed up to the max! But this weekend was just one big trip baby yeah!!:mrgreen:

Eag's
18th November 2007, 08:42 PM
I would like to thank all my playing partners from the Champs, DC68, PeteyD, Kpac, Trung, Nudgee, Tezza, Shazza, Jarro & TS :smt023
Also to everyone who helped out to make this the best Champs ever, a big thankyou :smt038

Bring on next year :D

markTHEblake
18th November 2007, 09:27 PM
Leah hit the sack last night whenever it was that we surrendered and spent the first 10 minutes in bed breaking out in fits of laughter!

She told me it was because you had your Y fronts on backwards.

Jarro
19th November 2007, 05:32 AM
Once again a really succesful Champs weekend.

I was particularly glad to see the course was in great shape with NO cored greens ;)

Congrats to Dion for winning everything ... well played mate 8)

And a big thanks to all the people behind the scenes who did a lot of good work .... Peter_rs, PeteyD, Bruce, Dick69 ... to name but a few .... nice job fellas :smt023

Also a big well done to our interstate visitors ..... having you guys come along and play/meet/drink with us is what makes this whole thing really worthwhile.

Can't wait for next year already :mrgreen:

BrisVegas
19th November 2007, 08:05 AM
Best Champs Ever!

Thanks to everyone who helped to organise the event and donate all the great prizes. I'm a little embarrassed by the scores I shot. I've never gone any good at big ozgolf days and usually go even worse at the champs.. I can't explain it, I really can't. I think I was very lucky to have played with some really top blokes: golfer69, dc68, peteyd, poidda and rusty.

I had no expectations coming into the weekend beyond trying to not tank in my match against the juggernaught. I was so nervous, I even had a few drinks during the round. Must have helped. I went out cold sober on sunday and shot two worse... Can't wait for next year.

Thankyou all again, I'm still excited!

AndyP
19th November 2007, 08:32 AM
Best Champs Ever!
Ditto. It was a blast.

No specific thank yous from me. Thank you to everyone.

PeteyD
19th November 2007, 10:18 AM
Great time all and well done Dion. Still recovering today. We should have a mid-year winter mini-champs in June!! haha. It is always great to meet everyone that comes from out of the SEQ area, and was great to see Goughy actually make it to a champs.

Roll on 2008!!

BrisVegas
19th November 2007, 10:42 AM
We should have a mid-year winter mini-champs in June!! haha.

How about April in Tassie? :smt023

peter_rs
19th November 2007, 02:19 PM
not to mention the name tags.

Thanks for someone noticing ;) I think that people were still wearing them is a testament that they were well received.

Grunt
19th November 2007, 02:25 PM
Congrats to all, another great weekend was had by all. Thanks to my playing partners over tHE weekend for some good/average/crap golf, but that is just the way I play this weird game. Thanks Keza, Keza's mate(andy), Rusty, & 990B for the games.
Boy, Keza did not realise I dragged you down that much! ;).
Thanks to all that helpped out too, it ran pretty smoothly all weekend. I think we have found the home of OzGolf if they can do this again next year.

shazza_rs
19th November 2007, 02:37 PM
I didn't hurt your feelings that much did i grunt???? ;)

Keza's mate was actually called Adam... but close ;)

And another thing:
You played with Poidda on Friday - result poidda 43
You played with Rusty on Satdee - result Rusty 40
You played with Scarfie Monday - result Scarfie 43
You played with 990B on Sundee - result 29 points of scratch (13 hcp my butt!)

I think we have found the lucky charm of ozgolf... only applicable to male golfers. :):)

scarfie1
19th November 2007, 02:48 PM
Yeah great weekend, good to finally meet alot of the Ozgolf crowd. Well done to the prize getters, Dion especially, beating your handicap at KV is no easy feat.

Grunt...I sould play with you more often, definately my lucky charm

Grunt
19th November 2007, 05:10 PM
I didn't hurt your feelings that much did i grunt???? ;)

Keza's mate was actually called Adam... but close ;)

And another thing:
You played with Poidda on Friday - result poidda 43
You played with Rusty on Satdee - result Rusty 40
You played with Scarfie Monday - result Scarfie 43
You played with 990B on Sundee - result 29 points of scratch (13 hcp my butt!)

I think we have found the lucky charm of ozgolf... only applicable to male golfers. :):)

Oops Sorry Shazza, yeah thanks for the game too.

Well I have to lose this lucky charm shit and have a good game myself. Don't want to be someones elses gain. :)

Courty
19th November 2007, 05:33 PM
I'm ecstatic that I could make it down to the Champs this year after trying and failing at each previous occasion. It was fantastic to meet many of my fellow OZgolfers who all made me feel extremely welcome. Being somewhat of an OZgolf geographic loner, on reflection, I am surprised at just how easy it was to step straight in and mingle with the crowd. I guess I underestimated the social nature of what this forum provides us all.

I'd like to send out a few special thank-yous to some people who went out of their way to help me out:

BrisVegas & mrsbrisvegas, Coffs_hacker & Tez for the transport/ meals/ lodging, and also to Poidda & Billyman for spooning each other so I could have a bed to myself. :smt023

I would also like to mirror Golfer69's post in that this must be the most organised social group ever, as the entire weekend (minus one Sunday NCR) ran flawlessly. A big congratulations to everyone on making it so! :smt038

Trung
19th November 2007, 06:36 PM
Finally home.

Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah...

Special thanks...

69 - for picking me up at Coolie airport
Blake - for the lift back to Gold Coast and putting me up on Sunday night..
Everyone - thanks for a great weekend, see ya all next year.

ps.. Blake rang his wife on the way home from KV, told her that a friend is staying over... ****, talk about leaving it to the last minute...

TS
19th November 2007, 06:46 PM
I would like to thank all the guys that put in a great effect in orgranising a fantastic weekend.

And thanks to my playing partners from Shazza, Eags & Jarro. It was great to have a game with Jarro finally, we been talking about having a game together for a while.

just
19th November 2007, 07:27 PM
1. Losing twelve balls - $20
2. Realising I lost my car keys after Saturday's round and all my clothes and piss locked in car and having to wear same clothes Saturday night and Sunday and my wife generously offering to drive home and back on Sunday in other car to get spare keys while I played golf. Cost of petrol for all those trips for wife - $hundreds
Cost to just - loss of love from wife.
3. Hitting a drive through a 6 inch V in a tree forty metres from tee on the third - priceless.

Can someone else drive me to the champs next year? Had a great time. Thanks to all those I played with.

just
19th November 2007, 07:35 PM
Sandgate and back.

markTHEblake
19th November 2007, 07:36 PM
Thats another problem with the champs..its too frikkin short to talk to everyone.

Yes your right, but unless you get everone on the bowls green or card game all at the same time, it aint gunna happen.

AndyP
19th November 2007, 07:39 PM
3. Hitting a drive through a 6 inch V in a tree forty metres from tee on the third - priceless.http://www.ozgolf.net/andyp/just%27s%20tree.jpg

PeteyD
19th November 2007, 07:45 PM
Awesome drive Just!! Go down on Friday and it is a 3 dayer. Although I think I need to drink more on the friday night or something ...

My priceless moment is getting a par on 10, even if it is off the blue tees!

Jarro
19th November 2007, 07:48 PM
http://www.ozgolf.net/andyp/just%27s%20tree.jpg

Not only did just drive his shot through that gap ... he also managed to shape the shot right to left AFTER it got past the tree :shock:

Truly awesome shot :smt038

Flowergirl
19th November 2007, 08:11 PM
Well here we are back home in Melbourne - and gee is it hot!!!!!!! 37 - phew.

We all had a great time at the champs. Lovely to catch up with everyone again and to meet a few new Ozgolfers. Thanks also to everyone for making Gael and Roger welcome. They are good friends and they can't wait to come back next year as we are.
What a great venue!! We had a lovely relaxing dinner last night and a 4.30 start to get to the airport - been a long day.
Well done to all the winners. Some great golf was played. And a big thanks to the organisers.
And thanks for the game Blakey, Goughy and Nudgee. Just a shame I didn't get to see the red jocks this year Jamie:smt023

Talking about jocks - has anyone heard about Alo stripping off to his undies on the 3rd hole??:shock:

shavey
19th November 2007, 08:52 PM
Just when I was wishing I could have made it, FG starts talking about ALo stripping off to his undies :)

And still no signs of bubs.. due date 20th Nov but me thinks he/she are too comfy to come out just yet..

Great job one and all on what sounds like one awesome weekend!

PeteyD
19th November 2007, 08:56 PM
Apparently he stood in an ants nest and had to do a Mr McPhee and the Biting Flea trick.

Flowergirl
19th November 2007, 09:03 PM
Johnny Boy and Roger were witnesses to the whole thing. Poor John woke up screaming and in a sweat last night.

Jarro
19th November 2007, 09:04 PM
Poor John woke up screaming and in a sweat last night.

Probably dreaming about those cart-girls :mrgreen: :smt060

Flowergirl
19th November 2007, 09:06 PM
Probably dreaming about those cart-girls :mrgreen: :smt060
They were far too young to be having thoughts like that Jarro - you should be ashamed.:smt079

PeteyD
19th November 2007, 09:08 PM
They were old enough Reenee. but distinctly lacking in what I consider to be necessary assets.

Jarro
19th November 2007, 09:10 PM
They were alive Pedro :roll:

PeteyD
19th November 2007, 09:11 PM
Well we know your initial requirement :D

shazza_rs
19th November 2007, 09:12 PM
what breathing???

PeteyD
19th November 2007, 09:14 PM
apparently

goughy
19th November 2007, 09:43 PM
Now to really post.

To my playing partners from the weekend! Brucey, Brucey, Brucey. You are nothing like blakey. But your avatar is right on the money! And you're just as funny. Was reat to finally meet you. Was an adventurous first few holes to say the least :)

Billyman, what a putt you sunk on the first hole! Because of you, you started this roll the progressed on to poidda and me. Thanks for that ;) And great 4 on 17 after taking the water out of play!

Poidda, man you've got some game there. I didn't notice how good your score was 'cause the way you were playing seemed so natural to me. 11 is not going to sit with you long if you keep that up!

Nudgee, it was great to have a game with you again. I think the last one was the city/country game at middle ridge in the old isg days. I just love the trajectory of your irons. How you can hit them so low and get them to stop is beyond me. You were so close to tearing it up once those birdie chances appeared. Just no luck on dropping those putts!

MTB, I call you sneaky cause you have so much game but it kind of goes unnoticed. I was impressed at bribie all those years ago, and was again on sunday.

FG, no way you are ozgolf's mother! You're no where near old enough. Maybe ozgolf's big sister at best :) It was a pleasure to finally meet you. You've been so supportive of us and always willing to give a hand. Luv ya!

And that goes for all! You all made Robyn and Leah so welcome, which I knew you would, but all the same it was much appreciated. Rob had a bit of a food issue at KV and there wasn't much there she could eat. But she really enjoyed herself and the fact that she wouldn't mind coming back next year speaks volumes to me about you all. She enjoyed the roaming around on sunday taking the pics. I hope we have the web space to host it all.

Leah had a real ball. I could say she was doing cartwheels, but, well, actually, she was. On the bowling green at least. And yes, there are pics. She is really keen to come back next year. It may depend on the date. Most won't know that Saturday was her daughter Brooke's 8th birthday. The first without her dad. But Leah had to meet you all. I think she had a need to know what it was about this group that took up so much of Leon's time, and now she knows. She said in the car afterwards that she really understands why Leon spent so much time with you guys. The best that are around! There were lots of tears and talk on the way home on Sunday.

It was such a great weekend. I really can not believe how good it was. I haven't had a time like that in so long it's not funny, if ever. It's strange, because in a weeks time we're heading down to the gold coast with the kids to stay at nara and visit seaworld and dreamworld. I was saying to Rob a few days ago that as much as I was looking forward to the champs the holiday at the coast was overshadowing it in my thoughts and anticipation. That will never happen again. I was just tripped out the whole weekend.

I couldn't care where it's held next year. Core greens, compulsory tee up, whatever. This weekend was out of sight.

I'm a lightweight, but I haven't drunk that much in years. And Leah was pretty roasted too I think. We got back to the room, and she's in bed for 5 seconds then just bursts out in laughter, she had the giggles so bad. It went on for like 10 minutes and everytime she started it set me off. Poor Robyn had no chance to get decent sleep.

Thanks for the rescue Courty! I think that club will be a winner. I smoked it the 4 times I hit it on Sunday, even if one of them was into the water in front of the 18th. I was stoked it went that far :)

Can't even think what else I wanna say now. Oh yeah

Thanks to all the organiser's this weekend. You did such a great job.

This weekend was basically what this site was all about and was started for. It's great to see the fruit of it all.

Flowergirl
19th November 2007, 09:49 PM
:smt056 :smt052 :smt006

Great to meet you Goughy and one of the highlights of the weekend was seeing the pleasure in your face. You were having a well deserved bask in the glory of your creation.

And yes - you did smoke that hybrid.:mrgreen:

dc68
20th November 2007, 08:50 AM
Thanks to everyone.... except Dicky. Top weekend. Congrats to Dion you cleaned up!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks to all the travellers without you guys it just would not be the champs.

terryand
20th November 2007, 09:06 AM
Finally got home at 9 last night and was absolutely knackered, still am really. Had an awsome weekend and was great to catch up with everybody. Thanks to all involved with the orginising and the guys I played with.

A special thanks to my fellow photographers, Trungie, Robyn and Leah for helping out with capturing the weekend. I will start to upload some pics when I get home from work tonight.

Terry.

markTHEblake
20th November 2007, 09:18 AM
Seems to be a trend developing in the Champs.
- Matchplay champion wins the Champs
- 3 years in a row a Low handicapper wins the champs.

And this was the best scoring ever for any of them. Strange, cos KV is certainly a harder course than CTH or Bribie, and when scoring is high its usually the higher handicappers doing that. Not really sure what to conclude from that.

BrisVegas
20th November 2007, 10:02 AM
Seems to be a trend developing in the Champs.
- Matchplay champion wins the Champs
- 3 years in a row a Low handicapper wins the champs.

And this was the best scoring ever for any of them. Strange, cos KV is certainly a harder course than CTH or Bribie, and when scoring is high its usually the higher handicappers doing that. Not really sure what to conclude from that.
I can only speak for myself, but last year I shot such a horrible score on Sat at Pac Harbour that I lost interest on Sunday, despite Bribie being a fairly easy course.

Playing stableford certainly seemed to help improve the scores, for everyone.

peter_rs
20th November 2007, 10:09 AM
MTB thats a joke KV is easy compared to CTH or Bribie. There is much more room of the tee with the right club and no sand on the edges.

I think that stab both days help the high markers stay in it & improve the scores.... I also think playing the same course twice without the pins moving helped.

poidda
20th November 2007, 10:25 AM
I also think playing the same course twice without the pins moving helped. :roll:

markTHEblake
20th November 2007, 10:26 AM
I also think playing the same course twice sober without the pins moving helped.

damoocow
20th November 2007, 10:59 AM
Hadn’t really been playing much golf so hadn’t really given Kooralbyn much thought until on the drive out there….in the pouring rain and with thoughts of the ‘cored‘ greens and realising that I had no opener for my coopers stubbies – I guess I wasn’t in the best frame of mind but was relieved to get there and catch up with everyone – Goughy is right – it is indeed a special bunch of people !!

SAT GOLF…off my handicap it would always be a struggle but I had decided to play as smart as I could both rounds – which pretty much meant taking the trouble out of play as much as I could and no hero shots…par 4’s became 5’s etc etc – came home with 35 pts which vindicated that decision – actually the 18th was a good case in point – 7wood / 5iron / wedge/jagged the putt for par and 4 pts ! Thanks to Coffs/ Senecio / and Perci for the round – most enjoyable…………round highlight – the crowd around the 18th – was hilarious !!

SAT NIGHT…lawn bowls is still a mystery to me / Grunt still couldn’t outdo Choppa even though he gave it his best shot [much to his wife’s disgust at times!] / great having the venue almost to ourselves / almost taking AndyP at poker / and Tezza – you snore – shut up !!!

SUN GOLF…33points using same strategy…..hit 7wood off a lot of tees but it was really the only consistent thing in my bag – apart from the putter – man I loved those greens – bunkers were an absolute disgrace though….thanks to AndyP/PeterRS / billybaub for the round – heaps of fun…

NEXT YEAR ?....this was one great event – organisation was awesome and would be happy to return to Kooralbyn if that seems to be the way we go…maybe we could not do 2 stableford rounds ?? – perhaps a fourball on one of the days or stroke [off the whites?] on one day – something to mix up the rounds ?...either way it was great value and I had a fantastic time…thanks everyone

damoocow

Rusty
20th November 2007, 11:42 AM
thanks to all in organising the event. very much appreciated.

well done Dion, taking the "triple". your shot of the day for me on Sunday, was your 3wood second from 220m onto the green of the par 5 7th - fantastic.

Grunt, yeah you are a bit of a "good luck charm". most happy to be your playing partner anytime. what were there - 4 or 5 empties already when i got in the cart on Sat morning - great going. being a lightweight, 4 or 5 and i'd be pukin'.

great venue, good course. some tough finishing holes for me, especially the double water carry on 15. double & triple, oh i wanna play that better next time. very glad to see the crowd to the left of and behind the 18th on Sunday, after putting my 5w over the back on Saturday.

and a special thanks to the Ozgolf community, as a get a lot of enjoyment and satisfaction from playing in comps at different courses during the year. cheers.