PDA

View Full Version : How do you play the *th hole at Kooralbyn Valley?

Courty
11th November 2007, 02:52 PM
All strategy talk can go here...

As a reference, PeteyD's fantastic hole-by-hole review can be found here (http://ozgolf.net/forums/showthread.php?t=6968).

Courty
11th November 2007, 02:53 PM
Hole 5 (http://ozgolf.net/forums/showpost.php?p=150368&postcount=7): I've never played a hole with such a big drop in elevation. How does it affect club selection? How many clubs shorter can/ should you go?

Jarro
11th November 2007, 03:04 PM
We're not telling you anything Courty, you'll just have to flounder around on your own :p

Just make sure you hit the fairways ;)

kpac
11th November 2007, 03:46 PM
still a long way that hole, hybrid for me.... if i had one.

Eag's
11th November 2007, 03:50 PM
Thank christ the 5th hole is down hill :shock:
The 18th is a monster, if you take driver you risk ending up in the piss. If you lay up, you will be left with a long bloody approach over a second water carry well guarded buy large bunkers :neutral:

Grunt
11th November 2007, 03:54 PM
But to us off more than 10 handicap is it a good hole to play as a par 5? Can you put a ball in a good spot for 2 to have a good shot at the green. one putt par maybe?

Jarro
11th November 2007, 04:03 PM
Yes Grunt, you can play it as a par 5 ... plenty of room to lay up and have a flick in with a lobby after that.

AndyP
11th November 2007, 04:06 PM
:-#

If you can figure out how to play 15, let me know.

Grunt
11th November 2007, 04:15 PM
Just an idea but could we do a shotgun start on Sunday? With the groups we have would it be that big a drama? Or with what we have, those playing early wont have that long a wait for the finish>

Eag's
11th November 2007, 04:19 PM
Just an idea but could we do a shotgun start on Sunday? With the groups we have would it be that big a drama? Or with what we have, those playing early wont have that long a wait for the finish>

Nah it's fine as it is.

Grunt
11th November 2007, 04:23 PM
No worries just throwing up an idea.

Bruce
11th November 2007, 04:24 PM
Nah it's fine as it is.

Says the man who won't have to get out of bed until Noon.

Eag's
11th November 2007, 04:45 PM
Says the man who won't have to get out of bed until Noon.

:lol: that would be nice for a change Bruce ;)

markTHEblake
11th November 2007, 04:48 PM
Hole 5 (http://ozgolf.net/forums/showpost.php?p=150368&postcount=7): I've never played a hole with such a big drop in elevation. How does it affect club selection? How many clubs shorter can/ should you go?

I havent played there enough but as a guess if you underclubbed by 1, you would end up in the exact same spot if you underclubbed by 4 clubs (or just hit a really crap shot). I think there is a little ridge short of the green to stop the bunt run up shot :) but on a hole like that nothing wrong with a 20m chip.

There is a pond RHS and over the back i think, so there is a slight risk element in going for the green. So i suggest playing short until you work out the hole is the best strategy.

IMHO its so far downhill that it is more club than you would expect, there is an obvious limit to how far the ball will travel forwards before it is dropping almost vertical.

I am sure there is a scientific way of working it out, but as a guess, I would say it is only 1 to 2 clubs less.

As for the tee shot on the 18th, shouldnt be too hard for a bloke with a handheld GPS to work out the exact distances :-)

PeteyD
11th November 2007, 04:50 PM
Hah leading groups tee will be 9:30 at the latest.

Hoe to play 15, hit it over the water. then hit it over the water again. how hard is it ? ;) The carry is not as long as it looks, unless you go left.

5 varies dramatically if there is wind. It still plays a long way. Photos do not do it justice. The green is raised from the bottom of the gully, so the bunts get stopped.

18 is par 4, index 1, so everyone gets a shot on it, even you 4 markers. I reckon if I really latched onto a drive I could get to the water, so that would put it about 220 out (Off the blacks).

AndyP
11th November 2007, 05:24 PM
Hoe to play 15, hit it over the water. then hit it over the water again. how hard is it ? ;) The carry is not as long as it looks, unless you go left.
The right fairway is pretty tight. The first time I played it this year, I hit it accurately, the second time I pulled it and found the water. You miss, you pay.
My current plan is to be soft and play it down the left side. :?

Jarro
11th November 2007, 05:27 PM
Man up and play it as it's intended ... it's not that far to carry the first lot of water anyway :roll: Lot shorter overall as well.

AndyP
11th November 2007, 05:28 PM
As it is intended? It's risk/reward.

I'm prepared to sacrifice the reward.

Jarro
11th November 2007, 05:36 PM
I reckon trying to hit it down the left side (around the water) would actually be harder than going over it :-s

We won't be off the black markers anyway, so that'll help matters as well 8)

markTHEblake
11th November 2007, 05:46 PM
I reckon trying to hit it down the left side (around the water) would actually be harder than going over it :-s

You are correct, unless the golfer takes the soft option and makes it a 3 shotter by going way left.

The first time i played the hole I hit 2iron, then 8iron. It doesnt seem to make sense to use driver going for the island as you can easily reach the water on the LHS.

Going around I have played a Driver and 6 iron, but it is tough trying to stop yourself going too far left.

We won't be off the black markers anyway, so that'll help matters as well

sometimes the blue markers are right back there on that Pinnicle of a tee. But if we are not from memory it doesnt make a lot of sense to go for the island.

AndyP
11th November 2007, 05:48 PM

True dat. I think some decisions can only be made once we see where the markers are. This hole will definitely be one of them.

Not having 17 off the blacks might save a few balls. I bought the 5W specifically for this hole off the blacks, and now it may not be needed. ;)

scarfie1
11th November 2007, 05:49 PM
The 15th isn't too hard, easier aiming right as the landing area is quite big, just got to carry the water which is about 180m maybe.

Last time on 18 I went Driver 20* hybird to the green. So it can be done, but I think I will go 3 wood, 3 wood next time.

Courty
11th November 2007, 05:50 PM
Does KV have a course guide available?

Jarro
11th November 2007, 05:54 PM
Does KV have a course guide available?

No it doesn't.

;)

AndyP
11th November 2007, 05:54 PM
I don't know, but I'm doubting it. Especially since they made the changes. I don't think they'd get enough traffic to justify it.

You can check out holes 2 through to 5 on Google Earth though.

terryand
11th November 2007, 06:55 PM
OK peteyD and co. that have played the course a bit lately.

What are the green surrounds like?

An extension of the green but a bit longer and furrier or thick (Kyik?) like around Windy greens.

Terry.

PeteyD
11th November 2007, 07:01 PM
Tezz. They used to be thick and fluffy ball eaters (many years ago)but so far this year they have basically been fairway due to lack of grass. However the amount of rain in recent weeks may have changed that.

They had footage of the Beaudesert Racecourse on TV on cup day, and the turf was thick and lush so we will ahve to find out.

terryand
11th November 2007, 07:20 PM
Damn, if there not short enough to be able to putt from 10m off the green it could be a long weekend :-s

Terry.

Iain
12th November 2007, 09:38 AM
Damn, if there not short enough to be able to putt from 10m off the green it could be a long weekend :-s

Terry.

I thought all you lefty's were born with a natural short game talent??!!

terryand
12th November 2007, 10:13 AM
It seems to diminish the further away from the coast you go :-s

Terry.

goughy
18th November 2007, 09:01 PM

Piece of piss! You slice a 3 iron 30mts way way way right and 30mtrs short of the green, then watch it roll down the hill till it finishes just short of the green then chip in for birdie in front of a gallery!

How else do you think you'd play it?

AndyP
19th November 2007, 08:13 AM
If you can figure out how to play 15, let me know.

My current plan is to be soft and play it down the left side. :?

True dat. I think some decisions can only be made once we see where the markers are. This hole will definitely be one of them.

On Day 1, I found myself lining up for the left side, while looking down the right. A little convincing from my playing partners, saw me take the right side on. A slight pull (while lining up to account for my fade) had me taking on the longest part of the water and left an uphill sloped shot for over 180m. I wasn't taking on the water again, and played out to the left of the bunker, then a chip and a putt for a par.
Day 2 saw me go down the left side, which has tonnes of room, this time I missed the green to the right, followed by a chip and a putt for par.8-)

I'm pretty happy with +1 over the two days for Holes 15 & 17, which were probably the two I was most concerned about.

The hole that has me the most baffled now is the par 5 13th. I just don't know what to do with that 2nd shot, as I know how important it is to hit the green with your approach or it's trouble.

BrisVegas
19th November 2007, 08:25 AM
#15 is a brute of a hole. On Sat I hit 3 wood down the right and was 170 out. Snuck on the front edge with a 4 iron. On Sunday I hit driver down the right and was 30m closer but still needed 6 iron to get home.

#17 - all I can say is I'm glad we didn't play from the Copperhead tees. Into a headwind yesterday I hit 5 iron as well as I've ever hit it. Add another 30m to it and I'd have been hitting 3 wood.

Eag's
19th November 2007, 08:52 AM
It would also be appreciated if you can get a petition going to suggest our company remodel the 18th. Add this to the fact that the carts wizz around the corner to the first tee only to be confronted by tee shots heading at you....super design that.

I now have to go over to the TGF webite to nominate it as worst ever...what a frikkin dog turd of a hole.

Could not agree more Rich, that hole must of been designed buy Stevie Wonder :roll:
On the other hand, the 5th, 15th, & the 17th are great holes.

AndyP
19th November 2007, 08:52 AM
Can you make the course top 30?

AndyP
19th November 2007, 09:28 AM
So what would you do to make the 18th better? The right is the best spot to come in at that green, so maybe the tee could come forward and left, such that the water can be cleared from the T-shot, if you take it on?

BrisVegas
19th November 2007, 09:42 AM
agree with andyP, the right side is the best side to come in from. which should mean its a more difficult tee shot to put it on that side. Trouble I found with the right side is that I wouldn't want to use more than a 3 wood off the tee or I'd end up in the pond. From there it's at least 190-200m carry to the green.

The approach from the left side is more difficult, but that's ok if you can get much closer to the green that side. The gap down the left side needs to be bigger to encourage people to take it on with drivers. I wouldn't mind coming in over the trees/bunkers of the left side if I only had 6 iron in my hand.

poidda said he played it driver & 6 iron on Saturday and it wasn't that tough. He tried it again sunday and caught the water though.

For me, the green is too "dinky" and doesn't really hold the type of approach shots people would need to be coming in with to play it in regulation, ie. long irons and fairway metals. I think the water is on the wrong side of the fairway. If it was a 180m carry down the left side the big bombers could go over it and have all the width of the fairway to land on. The shorter hitters could play safely short or right of it off the tee and would be coming in from the correct side of the fairway to have the best shot at the green.

poidda
19th November 2007, 09:46 AM
As a 420m hole its tough enough. I reckon I can eactually live with the pond in front of the green....its index 1 so most people get a shot on the hole and play it as a mini par 5.
You need to have some incentive off the tee to take a risk and get it in a better position to approach the green. As it stands, everyone is in the same boat as its blocked off. I think the shape of the first pond can be remodelled to make it much better.

I hit driver 6-iron on the Saturday. There is reward if you're willing to play to the left of the water. And you're long enough out still that you can take the trees on, or play a draw around them.

AndyP
19th November 2007, 10:09 AM
What if the pin is at the back? The reward should be that you shouldn't have to take any trees on.

poidda
19th November 2007, 10:11 AM
What if the pin is at the back? The reward should be that you shouldn't have to take any trees on.

Lay up then. As 69er said, it is index one, so everyone should be happy with bogey.

PeteyD
19th November 2007, 10:43 AM
The main problem is that the lake was already there when they rerouted the hole through the old par 3 course. Could definately do with some remodelling.

kpac
19th November 2007, 10:53 AM
it's index 1. it's suppose to be hard.

Par on saturday by laying up, Bogey Sunday by going for the green....

I think thats about right. The part of that hole that i dont like so much is that if you do choose to lay up it's bloody rock hard where you ball finishes, if it was nice fairway in that area, i think the layup is a genuine option for a hole of index 1 difficulty.

BrisVegas
19th November 2007, 10:55 AM
I hit 3 wood - 3 wood both days. Birdie & bogey. On sunday, the approach shot landed next to the flag but bounced into the back traps.

Choppa
19th November 2007, 11:25 AM
The 18th was on of the easiest. It goes a little like this:
Pull driver left.
Slice 3 wood right
flub chip over garden, short of the green still
Chip in for par

Regulation.

markTHEblake
19th November 2007, 11:26 AM
Yeah the risk/reward options on 18th are all messed up. If the fairway was flipped over to be the mirror image it would work quite well.

15th doesnt really suit me, the island is not the place to be aiming for a right to left player. Mind you the long way is not much easier as the pond is still at driving distance, but its still not the only nervous shot on that golf course.

#17..... Into a headwind yesterday I hit 5 iron as well as I've ever hit it.

Thats one of the things thats difficult to deal with at KV is swirling and gusty winds. On 17 it was in our face on the tee but the flagstick was still and thats an open hole? I hit a great 5 iron too and it landed on the back edge, lucky the greens were softer than what i am used too :-) Nudgee hit a six iron with a bit of a ski jump to the centre of the green, which made it seem like the wind might not have been there as much as it seemed

PeteyD
19th November 2007, 11:26 AM
Chip in for par

In front of the peanut gallery for much cheering as well. Pity you had no chance to back it up the next day Puke-ahontas ;)

Eag's
19th November 2007, 11:28 AM
it's index 1. it's suppose to be hard.

Par on saturday by laying up, Bogey Sunday by going for the green....

I think thats about right. The part of that hole that i dont like so much is that if you do choose to lay up it's bloody rock hard where you ball finishes, if it was nice fairway in that area, i think the layup is a genuine option for a hole of index 1 difficulty.

Yep good point Kent, you don't mind laying up if you know you will have a chance of a good lie. The lay up area was like cement and very rough.

peter_rs
19th November 2007, 02:23 PM
****ed the 15th both days.....
Driver down left, 4 iron short, the rest history

18th isn't that hard for index 1.. People don't realise how much landing room there is to the left due to the fact there is no OB for the old par 3 course.
Sat - Driver, pushed a 7 iron
Sun - Driver (left), little blocked out by trees and because i was protecting a score i layed up but i still could of gone for it as i was only a 6 iron out.

The best thing about 18 was the room on the hill for the peanut gallery, even if Rusty tried to kill some of us from long range. ;)

shazza_rs
19th November 2007, 03:04 PM
The worst thing was the peanut gallery.... i'm sure i shanked that one because of them ;)

PeteyD
19th November 2007, 03:12 PM
the old Par 3 course is supposed to be OB. I think they have not redefined the edge since they rerouted the 18th though.

Peanut gallery made me play well. I definately shoot better with an audience like that ;)

Courty
19th November 2007, 04:45 PM
I didn't mind 15, although I didn't take the direct water route on either day. I hit good drives down the left side where I was left with 5 iron to the green. Unfortunately, I hit both 5 irons like crap and finished short & right both times.

I agree about 18. On Saturday, I followed Peter_RS' lead and went left with driver. I had enough club to reach the green from that position, but I had no shot as I don't hit my long irons high enough to get over the trees. I made 5/2 both days though, so no damage done.

goughy
19th November 2007, 06:58 PM
I stuffed my drive saturday but hit a layup second then over the water for a very easy 5. Sunday was much more fun. Left driver short right and with 230mtrs to the green had no hope (3 wood was int he car). But with the gallery there I had to go for the green with Courty's 20* hybrid, and knowing I was going to hit it into the middle of the water and actually being able to flush it perfectly into the water made me very happy! I had to do it for the gallery!

If I remember correctly, our sunday group donated a total of 6 balls to the water on 18!!!! :o

Jarro
19th November 2007, 07:04 PM
The 18th was on of the easiest. It goes a little like this:
Pull driver left.
Slice 3 wood right
flub chip over garden, short of the green still
Chip in for par

Regulation.

What about the second round ?

.... oh yeah, that's right :roll:

Flowergirl
19th November 2007, 09:23 PM
The worst thing was the peanut gallery.... i'm sure i shanked that one because of them ;)
Loved the peanut gallery.:smt060 Made an up and down both days. Sunday from the back bunker so I could spite Blakey. He smugly says - Ooo - that'll be a hard up and down from there!!! Easy piesy;) ( yea - I know - it was still for a 7 for 1 -par 5 for women :mrgreen: )

goughy
19th November 2007, 10:01 PM
All the same you pulled it out in front of everyone. That was one scary bunker shot. Or should have been!

Flowergirl
19th November 2007, 10:05 PM
[quote=goughy;192928]All the same you pulled it out in front of everyone.

Not unlike DC on Saturday night. I don't know what scared me the most!!!!!

markTHEblake
19th November 2007, 11:01 PM
Sunday from the back bunker so I could spite Blakey. He smugly says - Ooo - that'll be a hard up and down from there!!! Easy piesy;)

i thought i said it would be an interesting up and down from there :neutral: