PDA

View Full Version : In and out of hospital

Jono
10th November 2007, 03:51 PM
I've just come out of hospital after being admitted 8 days ago. Took longer than I thought and it looks like things are not over ... yet. :(

Most of you know the story, here's a quick recap. About 15 months ago, I was diagnosed with a pituitary tumour, a big one at that. This is NOT cancer. It's a benign tumour. However, because of it's proximity to crucial structures such as the optic nerve and blood vessels, it can't just be left alone. I considered surgery at the time, but it turned out to be one of pituitary tumours that tends to respond to medication therapy. So for the past year, I've been on gradually increasing dose of medication, hoping to shrink this tumour. Unfortunately, it was not successful. In fact, it seems that being on high dose medication for over a year has made my tumour quite fibrous and tough. Usually, these tumours are soft and break up easily, but when the surgeon went in to remove it last Saturday, he found that he just could not break it up enough. The standard way of doing pituitary surgery is through the nostril and approaching from underneath. This doesn't give you a lot of room for instruments and after 4 hours of trying to get this sucker through, he decided to call it a day.

I was in ICU for 5 days after the operation with a lumbar drain in, constantly draining CSF fluid. There was a lot of leakage of CSF during the operation through the nose and the lumbar drain was there to try to divert the flow of CSF away so it can have a chance to heal. Side effect from this that I've been getting a lot of headaches, especially when I sit or stand up. (just ask women who've had epidurals) This will get better with time.

Now, the issue is that I still have the tumour in there. The next option is to approach the tumour from the top (ie. craniotomy). This makes the surgery a bigger procedure, but in my case, it looks like it's unavoidable. I'll be taking next 3 weeks off to recover and then will probably have the second operation in December. I'm seeing my surgeon again in 2 weeks time to discuss things further and make up my mind. There are couple of other options available such as stereotactic radiotherapy, so I'll have to weigh them up carefully.

For now, I'm so thankful that I've come out of this in one piece. As soon as my headaches settle down, I'll be looking at some display homes and spend some time with family and friends. Unfortunately, golf is out for a while ... I'm not allowed to blow my nose, lift anything heavy or swim for at least 2 months. Some delicate plumbing up my nose at the moment which I should not disturb ... :lol:

Sorry I can't catch up with you guys next weekend for the champs, but I'll definitely be up for next years. 8)

Bruce
10th November 2007, 04:02 PM
Get well mate and we'll catch you next year.

3oneday
10th November 2007, 04:09 PM
Hard luck Jono, blowing is overrated ;)

:lol:

just
10th November 2007, 04:17 PM
Get well soon, Jono!

Please don't say you are going to turn into Grunt!!:twisted:

3oneday
10th November 2007, 04:20 PM
Please don't say you are going to turn into Grunt!!:twisted:there's a line in there for sure, just not sure it's worth doing :)

Grunt
10th November 2007, 04:21 PM
Get well soon, Jono!

Just; he had the same Doc!

Get well soon Jono, Just tell Dr. Kwok to get on with it and have a good go at it this time. You'll be right mate.

Jono
10th November 2007, 04:27 PM
Now now ... Let's keep this thread from becoming the "worst one ever" ... :wink:

Grunt
10th November 2007, 04:33 PM
Get well soon, Jono!

Now now ... Let's keep this thread from becoming the "worst one ever" ... :wink:
At least the sense of humour is not affected.

kwantfm
10th November 2007, 04:47 PM
Best of luck with it all... sounds like a nightmare.

BrisWesty
10th November 2007, 04:58 PM
All the best Jono. Thoughts and prayers for a speedy recovery.

Jono
10th November 2007, 05:01 PM
Best of luck with it all... sounds like a nightmare.

Thanks T. It's not so bad. Something I could have done without but also something that can make me a stronger person, better doctor, etc, etc. :lol:

mikezone13
10th November 2007, 05:07 PM
Thanks T. It's not so bad. Something I could have done without but also something that can make me a stronger person, better doctor, etc, etc. :lol:

Maybe it'll make you a better putter... lots of time for short game practice ;)

Good luck with it all!

3oneday
10th November 2007, 05:24 PM
Maybe it'll make you a better putter... pfft, if that was the case we'd all have the op :lol:

Flowergirl
10th November 2007, 05:29 PM
Loving thoughts go out to you and hoping for a speedy recovery - oh crap!! - that sounds like a hallmark classic.:oops:

You know what I mean Jono:mrgreen:

Courty
10th November 2007, 05:44 PM
Chin up, mate. At least then the fluid won't dribble out of your nose while you're talking. ;)

gazgolf1
10th November 2007, 05:49 PM
Get well soon Jono,we are all pulling for you.....especially Blakey. :)

Jarro
10th November 2007, 05:50 PM
Thanks for the update Jono, i was starting to worry a bit :(

All the best in your recovery from this little procedure .... and lots of best wishes for the next battle in December.

I'm looking forward to seeing you power that Aurora at next years Champs for sure 8)

Eag's
10th November 2007, 06:20 PM
Jono, it's a bummer the tumor cold not be removed on the first attempt but at least you have other options. I hope all goes well with the next stage and your recovery is quick.
Our thoughts are with you mate :smt023

markTHEblake
10th November 2007, 06:39 PM
Hey Jono, I got a bit lost after the bit "I've just come out...", but i gather your staying positive and that's the best medicine by far.

AndyP
10th November 2007, 11:01 PM
I love the positive outlook of your post, Jono, and I hope you are feeling that way. I wish you all the best in whichever option you take and keep us in the loop because we're thinking about you.

Can you still do boxing?

Jono
11th November 2007, 01:45 AM
If it all goes bad I guess you can do some minor modifications to that ridiculous buggy and make it a wheelchair.

That is GOLD. :lol:

Jono
11th November 2007, 01:47 AM
Can you still do boxing?

Only boxing I'll be doing for a while is boxing golf clubs for sale on ebay perhaps. :wink:

mrsbrisvegas
11th November 2007, 08:51 AM
Bugger!!! I was just thinking about you yesterday, a friend here is having operations for a brain tumour also. I was discussing it with her. BrisVegas has been updating me on your progress. All the best for your next op.

BrisVegas
11th November 2007, 08:51 AM
Good luck John. Looking forward to a game with you once you're through this.

amanda
11th November 2007, 10:17 AM
Hey Jono - it's excellent to hear that you're home :)

Hope you have Foxtel - I've seen you're collection of golf-related DVDs and you may have nothing to watch after a few days!

CobraSS
11th November 2007, 10:46 PM
good luck Jono

terryand
12th November 2007, 06:52 AM
All the best Jono, still think it's a lame excuse for not coming this weekend, like jeez, you haven't even got any stitches that could pull out during your swing ;)

Terry.

amanda
12th November 2007, 07:14 AM
Jono wasn't doing so well yesterday - very bad headaches. He didn't tell us, but they wanted to keep him in hospital until Wednesday - but like any doctor - he discharged himself early!

However - he has the latest Aus Golf Digest with a special on putting :)

Fishman Dan
12th November 2007, 08:17 AM
However - he has the latest Aus Golf Digest with a special on putting :)

Might explain the headaches! The last thing he should be thinking about is putters!!

Jono
12th November 2007, 09:08 AM
Thanks for the encouragements and the well wishes guys. Special thanks to Amanda and Brad who dropped by yesterday with a bag of goodies ... (lots of yummy food, golf mags, house mags, etc) :smt023

Jono
12th November 2007, 09:10 AM
Might explain the headaches! The last thing he should be thinking about is putters!!

Ha ha. I think you are onto something there, Dan. :lol:

dc68
12th November 2007, 09:29 AM
I just can't fathom what goes through your head with this stuff happening.

Usually surgical instruments eh?

In all seriousness Jono all the best and a speedy recovery.

Iain
12th November 2007, 09:38 AM
All the best Jono. See you at next years champs, if not sooner....

markTHEblake
12th November 2007, 10:27 AM
I am worried, imagine all the training aids Jono will buy while he is bored at home.

Jarro
12th November 2007, 04:49 PM
I'd send you some nice DVD's to watch mate, but i'm sure you don't really want all that blood running to your head ;)

just
12th November 2007, 07:04 PM
I'd send you some nice DVD's to watch mate, but i'm sure you don't really want all that blood running to your head ;)
The blood would be running to his other head thereby lessening the pressure in his cranium. Sounds like excellent therapy!

damoocow
12th November 2007, 10:00 PM
Hey Jono - hope it all goes well for you - and a shame that you will miss this year.........as we both know , you and I are ozgolf gentlemen , but at least one of us will be there to uphold decorum and sensibility,
get well soon,

damoocow

Pinglauncher
13th November 2007, 09:35 AM
All the best Jono and keep your chin up, although it sounds like you are being pretty positive.

Are you sure the problem was not caused through hitting too many Cobra drivers. Maybe the noise :-k

miro
13th November 2007, 11:28 AM
Does this mean the Aurora is up for grabs?

Best of luck my friend.

Jono
27th November 2007, 11:07 PM
Met up with Trungie today and he delivered a big round cylinder container with Ross Watson's name on it. Hmmm ... what's this? Ross's next big project in Sydney, perhaps? Why is it being given to me then? Did Ross want my approval? :lol:

Anyway, came home and opened it to find this:

http://img527.imageshack.us/img527/755/ozgolfgetwellgv1.jpg

Sh!t guys ... If this isn't the "Worst Thread Ever" already, it is now ... Had tears in me eyes ... Or was it brain fluid leaking through the nose and masquerading as tears ... :lol:

Anyway, thanks heaps. It's on its way to get laminated. 8-)

Oh BTW, I've just seen the neurosurgeon again yesterday for follow up and I saw another neurosurgeon today for a second opinion. I'm a bit tired now so I'll post an update tomorrow. I'm feeling better and I may be going back to work next Monday. 8)

AndyP
27th November 2007, 11:10 PM
:smt023

Eag's
27th November 2007, 11:56 PM
Glad we made your day mate, Rich's idea and he deserves big pat on the back :smt038
Great to hear things are progressing well for you mate :smt023

Jarro
28th November 2007, 06:13 AM
Nice work Dicky ... i know that if Jono received the poster of me it would aid his recovery bigtime :mrgreen:

Flowergirl
28th November 2007, 06:33 AM
We all love ya Jono.:smt060

TS
28th November 2007, 08:37 AM
Nice work Dicky ... i know that if Jono received the poster of me it would aid his recovery bigtime :mrgreen:

Jarro. Jono told me he is able to go back to work next week is because of your poster.

markTHEblake
28th November 2007, 08:57 AM
People will say the strangest things when they are in shock.

Eag's
28th November 2007, 10:02 AM
I think this big printer is under-utilised in our office.
Any requests for posters ?

Mate, do yourself a favour and make a huge copy of your avatar for yourself ;)

PeteyD
28th November 2007, 10:22 AM
and for everyone else in here !!

3oneday
28th November 2007, 10:27 AM
and get her to sign it ?

Fishman Dan
28th November 2007, 10:29 AM
That's cruel. They could at least have had a photo with your left arm straighter... perhaps get those hands higher ;)

Jarro
28th November 2007, 04:45 PM

I'll take one of your avatar please

dc68
28th November 2007, 04:49 PM

Seeing as it is a big wide printer......

Goughy you still have that pic of my butt?

Trung
28th November 2007, 05:10 PM

the printer can't print that wide ;)

markTHEblake
28th November 2007, 05:49 PM
could print it in two halves and join it together. wouldnt even notice the seam then.

Courty
28th November 2007, 05:56 PM

A life-size poster of Jarro... you'll only need a piece of A3 paper. :mrgreen: :lol: :smt079

goughy
28th November 2007, 06:35 PM
Seeing as it is a big wide printer......

I was just thinking the same thing! Yes, it's still here, just taking my time getting around to posting it. Maybe a post of it can be the NAGA award for next years champs?? ;)

At least then they will have a pic of a golfers ass!

Jarro
28th November 2007, 06:42 PM
I was just thinking the same thing! Yes, it's still here, just taking my time getting around to posting it. Maybe a post of it can be the NAGA award for next years champs?? ;)

At least then they will have a pic of a golfers ass!

Can you at least Photoshop out the hail damage before you post it :roll:

AndyP
28th November 2007, 08:18 PM
Do not post that picture. The dob button will be used. I repeat, do not post that picture.

Jono
29th November 2007, 05:14 PM
Quick update, guys.

My headache's gone. :smt038 :smt023 It went about 15 days after the operation. Man, it was good to be able to sit up ...

But I still felt crap. I asked my GP to take some bloods including all my pituitary hormones. Couple of days later, I found out I'm panhypopit. Pan what? Is that like Supersupreme? :lol:

Basically, all my pituitary hormones are low. The normal pituitary gland must have been disturbed too much when the surgeon was trying to get at the tumour. Cortisol level was undetectable. Thyroid hormone and Testosterone, whilst not made by the pituitary, are stimulated by pituitary hormones, and these too were low. In fact, my testosterone level at the moment is almost zero. That's friggin lower than my grandma's ... :smt013

Anyway, it's treatable. Just means I have to take hormone replacement for the rest of my life. I was started on cortisone and thyroxine and will be commenced on testosterone monthly injections soon. My Growth Hormone was very low as well, but this is not routinely replaced in adults because it is not funded and the patient will be out of pocket by about $10 000 a year. Low GH can leave you feeling tired especially in the morning and also decrease your lean body mass, but that's OK. So what if I get a bit chubby and grow a gut? I'll fit in with 90% with the Ozgolfers with similar body shape, no? :razz:

Now, that's the bad news. The good news is that the hormone produced by the tumour is also significantly lower than previous. Although he didn't get the tumour out, the surgeon might have disrupted the blood supply to the tumour. There is a small chance that the tumour might go on to shrink without further surgery. In all probability, it'll grow back again, but for the time being, we've decided to watch the level instead of going onto repeat surgery straight away.

I've got my fingers crossed that the tumour will continue to shrink ... all my fingers ... and my toes ... and all my spare putters in the garage ... :lol:

dc68
29th November 2007, 05:18 PM
Keep it up Doc.

Jono
29th November 2007, 05:23 PM
Keep it up Doc.

That's easy for you to say ... It's friggin difficult when your testosterone level is lower than the average 60 year old female ... :roll:

dc68
29th November 2007, 05:36 PM
That's easy for you to say ... It's friggin difficult when your testosterone level is lower than the average 60 year old female ... :roll:

Now you know how Jarro feels.:twisted:

Jarro
29th November 2007, 05:48 PM
No probs getting it up here mate ... at least i can see mine ;)

Keep up the positive vibe Jono, i know you're gonna pull through this one OK :)

mikezone13
29th November 2007, 06:51 PM
No probs getting it up here mate ... at least i can see mine ;)

Is that because your head and groin are close together? ;)

Courty
29th November 2007, 07:03 PM
Glad to hear you're on the mend.

markTHEblake
29th November 2007, 07:21 PM
Jono, can you ask them to not replace the Hormones that cause you to spend money on golf clubs?

Eag's
29th November 2007, 07:27 PM
Jono, I hope you don't start getting hot flushes mate ;)
Glad to hear you are starting to feel better mate, keep us up to date :smt023

Moe Norman
29th November 2007, 07:53 PM
just don't get grumpy at the end of your cycle mate.

BrisVegas
29th November 2007, 08:57 PM
great news John. We're all rooting for you. Just let us know when you're up to it again so I can take a break from all this rooting.

3oneday
29th November 2007, 10:06 PM
Just let us know when you're up to it again so I can take a break from all this rooting.he'll be just lying there waiting ;)

Fishman Dan
29th November 2007, 10:46 PM
I don't want to know how you know your grandma's hormone levels, but great to hear things are on the improve.

Did the surgeon prescribe softer-sounding drivers?

3oneday
30th November 2007, 07:18 AM
Did the surgeon prescribe softer-sounding drivers?nup, just L flex ;)

Jarro
30th November 2007, 07:21 AM
nup, just L flex ;)

You'd have a few lying around wouldn't you :p

3oneday
30th November 2007, 09:54 AM
You'd have a few lying around wouldn't you :pOnly L for Looooong ;)

Jono
30th November 2007, 11:27 AM
Only L for Looooong ;)

Even with zero testosterone, I reckon I'll still get it past ya, Mr Ladies Flex. :razz:

Flowergirl
1st December 2007, 11:27 AM
Jono - glad to hear things are back on the up and up.;) If you need advice on hot flshes - just ask:shock:

Iain
1st December 2007, 12:29 PM
Great to hear Jono!!

addamsmith
3rd December 2007, 12:56 PM
Hi Jono
Hi Mate, I hope all is going well with you and Allison and the Kids send there love.
You take care big fella and we will talk soon.
Addam, allison, Dakota and Bailey
XXXXXX
The kisses are from allison